Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea that cheap. I bill $130/hr as a consultant for VARs

Not salary chat, I cant tell if I suck at making executive one pagers or my boss is out of touch. Theres this meeting our executive team has with the CEO & MD of all technology and they want led me to make a 1-pager on a specific emerging technology. Knowing they have like 5 minutes and this is a 50k foot overview, I made it dead simple and hit the main points of the technology. I showed my boss and he said it needs work, and his example of what it should look like was this excel sheet with tiny text and is definitely too much info for a 1-pager. Another manager who presents at this meeting normally said it's fine. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We bill in the 130 range for desktop support stuff that's on-site and 170ish for engineer type stuff whether it's on-site or not (server work, O365 migration, VOIP cutovers etc), and I believe 190-230 for PM.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Because I am standing up a server not doing DevOps~~~~ but please tell me how I'm doing it wrong

Well for starters, you're only standing up one. Should be at least 30, with microservices clustered and loadbalanced.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Fool posted:

Well for starters, you're only standing up one. Should be at least 30, with microservices clustered and loadbalanced.

Just LOL if you aren't running your Exchange / Sharepoint / Active Directory / Oracle environments in a multi-cloud Kubernetes cluster, and practicing chaos engineering by randomly killing poo poo to test its resiliency.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Just LOL if you aren't running your Exchange / Sharepoint / Active Directory / Oracle environments in a multi-cloud Kubernetes cluster, and practicing chaos engineering by randomly killing poo poo to test its resiliency.

I love this post.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The new guy doing physical inventory with a clipboard bumping a power cable = chaos engineering

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

practicing chaos engineering by randomly killing poo poo to test its resiliency
Yes, this, this is why the server went down

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Siochain posted:

I've looked for ages, but does anyone have a super-high-res version of this that would print out well at ANSI E sizing?
I really need some new art for the office.

It's not a legitimate haiku, as legitimate haiku's have to deal with seasons. :colbert:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Yes, this, this is why the server went down

This is good. Fire up the meme generator.

Regular brain: Practicing chaos engineering
Galaxy brain: Lying about chaos engineering because no one you're accountable to can tell the difference

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

It's not a legitimate haiku, as legitimate haiku's have to deal with seasons. :colbert:

There's a whole thing called muki haiku that covers this.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 3, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zaepho posted:

Microsoft DDPS Vouchers pay $1000 a day if I recall correctly. Our "Rack Rate" is $2000/day ($250/Hr) but isn't abnormal to see it at $1500/day after negotiations (better rates for longer projects). Travel and Expenses are in addition to this. If you think this workshop could lead to a larger engagement, sometimes it makes sense to work it as a loss leader to get your foot in the door. Just make sure they understand you're doing it well below standard rates with the expectation of using some time for discovery and to build a SOW for the next phase.

For comparison's sake I'm an FTE for a Consulting firm that specializes in MS Private/Hybrid cloud, System Center Stack and so forth so this sort of engagement is pretty well up our alley although we don;t do a lot of formal training because all our consultants hate it :) (and it's usually first on the chopping block when customers are trying to trim the project costs). We've got something like 8 gold competencies.

Mute_Fish posted:

If its any help when i was doing consultancy work in Vancouver I normally billed $100 an hour for office 365 set up and training work I probably did around a dozen O365 setups and never had any push back from clients about the rate.

Just wanted to thank the both of you for this! I quoted $100/hr to their VP and he didn't balk for a second!

Mute Fish, would you mind if I PM'd or emailed you to ask for some advice? I'm putting together a proposal for training and since this is my first consulting gig I wanna do it well.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Docjowles posted:

After the gun discussion in the "A ticket came in..." thread, I am processing "randomly killing poo poo" differently.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Sounds like a similar path to that which led to the master/slave removal from python discussion.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sheep posted:

Sounds like a similar path to that which led to the master/slave removal from python discussion.

I had to rename a table called "trans" in a database and update all the queries because my asshat idiot coworkers kept laughing or saying transphobic poo poo whenever they looked at the table name.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Jenkins did the same thing with Jenkins slaves changing it to executors or something.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

Regular brain: Practicing chaos engineering
Galaxy brain: Lying about chaos engineering because no one you're accountable to can tell the difference

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Siochain posted:

I've looked for ages, but does anyone have a super-high-res version of this that would print out well at ANSI E sizing?

I don't know that anyone ever created or posted a BIG version.
Someone once did a wide poster version (2534w x 896h) with a different background.

Might be easiest to see if you can find a large version of variation on the cherry blossom background, and make it yourself. The font is just a "brush" font - shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is the original artist

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/cherry-blossom-3-rachel-dutton.html

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

oh my god

"I did this painting of cherry blossoms while I was living in Okinawa. It's been a favorite of my customers for years, and looks good in any setting. The original is sold, but if you'd like to commission a similar painting, I love doing commission work."

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

oh my god

"I did this painting of cherry blossoms while I was living in Okinawa. It's been a favorite of my customers for years, and looks good in any setting. The original is sold, but if you'd like to commission a similar painting, I love doing commission work."

"You want me to put what on it?"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

oh my god

I wonder if she'd do a poweredge holding a gun and the Ubuntu logo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Goons commissioning any sort of creative project has traditionally gone well from what I remember

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's only $4.45 for greeting cards you can use to taunt people who take down critical services which is frankly a steal.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sheep posted:

It's only $4.45 for greeting cards you can use to taunt people who take down critical services which is frankly a steal.

The fact that this is too long to be a thread title is, frankly, the greatest tragedy of our times.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would chip in for a thread art commission, to formally blame DNS

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I’m going to pass the buck to the cloud!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would chip in for a thread art commission, to formally blame DNS

Set up the GoFundMe and let's kick tires on this poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A commissioned “The cloud is just someone else’s computer” would be nice

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Set up the GoFundMe and let's kick tires on this poo poo.

I'll start the wiki

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Goons commissioning any sort of creative project has traditionally gone well from what I remember

I can find some money for this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

George H.W. oval office posted:

A commissioned “The cloud is just someone else’s computer” would be nice

You've got my :10bux:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Someone paint me a giant windows 95 turn off your computer art piece

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

terrenblade posted:

I can find some money for this.

I was hinting towards swap.avi which I understand was Goon-funded and uh, scripted.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Siochain posted:

Not empty-quoting this.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Swap, doobies, lowtax spine, GiP shirts. All excellent goon funded ventures

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I still have my do the needful bottle opener USB flash drives. :unsmith:

E: https://imgur.com/a/8l3yp5O

it turns out I literally never use flash drives for anything, so they've basically just been in a drawer, but they did get made!

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 4, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I bought one of those! :unsmith:

It broke almost immediately :smith: They were cool though and I don’t hold it against whoever organized it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I got a good 4 years out of mine before it stopped working as a USB stick, though the grenade and slogan rubbed off from being in my pocket. I still keep it on my keychain as a bottle opener.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Comradephate posted:

I still have my do the needful bottle opener USB flash drives. :unsmith:

E: https://imgur.com/a/8l3yp5O

it turns out I literally never use flash drives for anything, so they've basically just been in a drawer, but they did get made!

I have one too. The grenade is totally rubbed off and the thing that slides the USB port out is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007