Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
imo: (haven't messed around with demon souls)
DS1 > DS2 > Bloodborne > DS3 > Sekiro

DS1 is just a masterpiece all around, DS2 has the most gameplay options and the best DLC, Bloodborne is great especially in theming and moment to moment gameplay, but suffers from the lack of build variety. DS3 has a lot of problems imo, especially in regards to theming and storytelling. Sekiro just didn't grab me, and there is no build variety at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I was just messing around. All Souls games are valid. Didn’t mean to make anyone’s opinion feel less. (Sekiro, however, has the ignominious merit in my book, that it shares with Demon’s Souls, that I got too bored to finish it.)

You’re right, ds1 is super janky with the movement.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
No one would compare Sekiro to Souls if it wasn’t a From game. It’s just a totally different skill set whereas BB and DS3 are evolution of the same skills.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Look Sir Droids posted:

No one would compare Sekiro to Souls if it wasn’t a From game. It’s just a totally different skill set whereas BB and DS3 are evolution of the same skills.
Um I think you'll find they use the same font, and they both have healing items that replenish when you sit down. :colbert:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Volte posted:

Um I think you'll find they use the same font, and they both have healing items that replenish when you sit down. :colbert:

Counterpoint: No Patches, Moonlight GS, or fashion.

Sekiro is on the opposite side of Nioh in terms of Souls comparison. It’s closer to MGR.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Raiden can dress up in fun outfits without mods and as Pepsiman with mods, MGR > Sekiro

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

all souls games are very good to the point that arguing about which is best is like arguing about which olympic medalist weightlifter could beat you in arm wrestling

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Wow the fight in the Cave of the Undead is...not easy. The rest of Shulva has been cool though, except those bastard phantoms. That room with all their real bodies reminded me of the skeleton gank room in Tomb of the Giants.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

My experience with that room is usually planning to do a suicide run to clear them out, but then managing to just barely kill them all anyway. :darksouls:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I cleared that room after two of the enemies somehow managed to miss attacking me and leap right into the holes in the floor lmao. And that was after I came up with the same suicide-mission plan

Orv
May 4, 2011

Djeser posted:

all souls games are very good to the point that arguing about which is best is like arguing about which olympic medalist weightlifter could beat you in arm wrestling

I can't go back and play 1 these days, it just feels too clunky in the movement and weapons. Ironically I was feeling that progressively as I played 2 and Bloodborne and then 3, even if I don't really like 3, pretty much sealed the deal there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Banjodark posted:

I’m currently knee deep in blight town in dark souls 1 - it’s the furthest I’ve ever gotten in the game in 5+ attempts to play it over the years and... I’m pretty much close to dropping it.

The fond memories that people have of DS1 are mainly from it being an altogether novel style of game for its time by embracing elements - like death penalties, light resource management, and (initially, anyways) a lack of fast travel - that most other games had either long abandoned or merely paid lip service to, as well as having a strong aesthetic and setting that didn't immediately show its hand. In the cold light of day, the actual gameplay of DS1 is rather lackluster, with sluggish, unresponsive controls, an uninspired combat system that can be readily cheesed, and an almost completely abysmal second half.

That's not to say that people are idiots for having fond memories of the game, but that I think it's hard for people who've either played the sequels or played a lot of the other action games that've come out in the time since DS1 to find it particularly compelling.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Play Demon's Souls now and be amazed that you could ever live with the like 10 foot radius of visibility the lighting gives you

Orv
May 4, 2011
I did replay it just before the servers went down and I don't have the same problem with it I do with 1. I think it's entirely perceptual and part of it is 1's swampy, unpleasant visuals that have aged intensely poorly giving it a sense of stodginess.

E: Demon's Souls doesn't look better but it is clearer.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 5, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Dark Souls 1 is comfort food.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don't get this, to me they play so drat similar. Like when comparing the combat, sure there are differences like parrying and tools and pressing your advantage rather than simply avoiding and retaliation which is 95% of souls, but the actual feel of movement, the way every move has weight to it, the just-long-enough tells of enemy attacks and moves all feel completely Souls to me. The level-design, enemy placement, the general lack of large groups and mobs etc feels basically the same. The biggest difference is just the grapples which are very welcome, and the lack of weapon options which is not, but I do understand it given the focus on parrying.

Honestly I had a way harder time getting used to DS2 movement and animations than I did Sekiro's, I like DS2 a lot but it still felt like way more of a new and weird thing to me coming from DS1 than Sekiro did coming from DS3.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Dark Souls 1 is comfort food.

Dark Souls 1 is coming back home and eating your mom's cooking, only to realize the years of living alone have honed your own cooking skills to a level higher than hers.

I don't need to respawn at the loving bonfire if I die as a summon, mom! :argh:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't get this, to me they play so drat similar.

Same

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Beat Sinh. Cool fight. Does the Crown of the Sunken King do anything?

All I have left in this DLC is the gank squad. The run back through the caves is annoying enough that I don’t really feel like trying now. Maybe I’ll revisit after the other two DLCs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It reduces your VIG and VIT by 1 and boosts most other stats by 1.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

Beat Sinh. Cool fight. Does the Crown of the Sunken King do anything?

All I have left in this DLC is the gank squad. The run back through the caves is annoying enough that I don’t really feel like trying now. Maybe I’ll revisit after the other two DLCs.
On its own it just gives stat bonuses (which will be obvious if you try to equip it). With the other three crowns (2 in other DLC, 1 from Vendrick's stash if you don't already have it) you should go back to the big man to get something.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

Wow the fight in the Cave of the Undead is...not easy. The rest of Shulva has been cool though, except those bastard phantoms. That room with all their real bodies reminded me of the skeleton gank room in Tomb of the Giants.

That room is good though because it gives you two big pits to run around and avoid the enemies with.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wish the Ivory and Sunken Crowns were as good as the Iron Crown was. That thing's Too Good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Woot, finished the game! I decided to walk out, just like the first time. imo the cycle don't need my help

Onwards to 3! (and making the rest of these DS2 videos lol)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Woot, finished the game! I decided to walk out, just like the first time. imo the cycle don't need my help

Onwards to 3! (and making the rest of these DS2 videos lol)

Enjoy the countless Demon's Souls references! :)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
aw I'm gonna miss all of them, I never played DeS

Orv
May 4, 2011
The emulation for it is working pretty flawlessly these days if you want to fix that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Orv posted:

The emulation for it is working pretty flawlessly these days if you want to fix that.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Do multiplayer and invasions work?

Orv
May 4, 2011
By default I don't believe so but someone may have fixed that by now. Wouldn't get my hopes up though, it's still a very good game single-player.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Awesome. I think I'll do it after DS3 and Sekiro

E: i almost forgot, my wife (who my character was modeled after) watched me beat the game, and she chose to walk out after i explained the choice to her, and then said "so if I'm walking away, i just wasted everyone's goddamn time" and well, she's not wrong

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 7, 2019

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Demon souls doesn't have online anymore, the servers were shut down last year.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
There is an unofficial server up, though.
Here's the Reddit post about it. One of the boss fights benefits from being online, so don't overlook it!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Be advised you do need a relatively beefy computer to run DeS at a decent framerate. Depending on your circumstances it might be cheaper to just buy it and a PS3.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
No PS3 emulator features PSN so you’ll need a real PS3 fo use the custom server.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh online in DeS isn’t so good that you’re missing out on a whole lot. Oh no, I can’t get invaded by grass spammers and scraping spear/baby nail trolls for this mandatory boss. Whatever will I do.

The hilarious verbose messages are probably the biggest loss.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think it's probably a pretty fair take that DeS has the weakest reasons for MP. World tendency isn't worth bothering with if you're just playing through the game once, That Boss is super cool conceptually but I never felt that it was markedly more impressive as a boss due to the unique twist and DeS certainly has the most degenerate gimmicks with the most power to completely gently caress you over if you can't handle them, just getting straight up hacked in the PC versions aside.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Messages are so useful, they’re the only reason I went with the private server. I didn’t get invaded a single time and I think the highest number of people I ever saw online was 9. It’s really low effort to get it working. Also as for emulating on PC I actually tried it and for me it was not playable. Graphical glitches everywhere, really low frame rate, and just generally bad, and I was doing it with an overclocked Ryzen 2700x and 1080ti.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I played DeS on an emulator not long ago and it worked fine. The only graphical glitches was that the heart in the Tower of Latria and a couple shield models just didn't render at all for some reason. Frame-rate wasn't great, but my computer is also very much out of date and struggles with Ds3.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

skasion posted:

Be advised you do need a relatively beefy computer to run DeS at a decent framerate. Depending on your circumstances it might be cheaper to just buy it and a PS3.

Like how beefy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The emulation for DeS in particular made massive strides in a very short amount of time so depending on when you (the royal and GutBomb) last played it's running remarkably well with very few glitches now. No denying the emulation power cost, that's never going away.