Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
From what little info I can find they do seem to be a communal species and there is at least one breeder who won't sell singles unless you can prove you have at least one already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah I think I would just like to get an ethically sourced companion for him.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Elmore continues to be a goofball.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

He looks so comfy...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Elmore continues to be a goofball.

happy 420 little dude!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
did yall know uromastyx can climb cinder block walls?

I know that now. Thankfully I got the male back from the neighbor's yard. The female chilled in the area I thought they couldn't climb out of. Back inside!

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oof, had a real stressful week with my boa. He's been acting real weird and super low-energy for days now. Finally figured out that it had to be either a stuck shed, or some mystery ailment I'd have to take him to the vet for. Got him out tonight and gave him a real long soak. Took him out, and was about to give up when I saw some skin coming loose on his belly. Put him in for another 15-20, and then put him out in a dry towel when I noticed his nose was starting to peel. He managed to get it all off, eyecaps and all, and I couldn't be more relieved.

I'm happy this is resolved and he's OK, but I feel like this shouldn't have happened in the first place. I have a digital hygrometer with a probe, which displayed his humidity as fine throughout the whole thing. I'm thinking I should maybe get a new/better one, I don't want this happening again. As stressful as it was for me, I'm sure it was way worse for him. Any recommendations?

Oh, and here's a picture of my little guy, immediately back to his happy and active self.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 26, 2019

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I believe this belongs here.

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1121930037387771905

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

Krayt dragons were giant carnivorous reptiles that came in two subspecies: the smaller and more common canyon krayt, and the larger greater krayt.[1] Due to their large size and ferocity, they were the apex predators of Tatooine.[3] Their bodies produced krayt venom, which helped the dragons as an acid in pre-digestion of their food.[4]

Seeing this makes me want to up my cage-top diorama game.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Sorry, but I refuse to believe that any terrarium CC, no matter how sufficiently established, is capable of adequately disappearing an uneaten rodent carcass. Unless your snake’s enclosure is, like, an isopod hellworld like a scene from The Mummy.

I will second that a bioactive substrate may be a better choice for OP’s snake than straight coco fiber tho.

snake and bake posted:

Agreed. I'm absolutely disgusted by the idea of having an enclosure full of dirt, bugs, and slowly decomposing snake poo poo (and dead rodents too? Are you loving kidding?)

I keep my enclosures as sterile as possible.

Same.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pick posted:

Trachylepis dichroma. I'd had herps in the past but not for a while but I have been very very diligent with him.

I do not have any advice but I googled that species and I've got to say: those guys have thicker necks than any bodybuilder I've seen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My loving god, I know ball pythons are picky as poo poo when it comes to eating but it's been a MONTH, will you assholes at least pick a schedule! My albino girls look all excited and exploring and eager to eat until I offer them a mouse. Then they sniff...sniff....head off to do something else.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cowslips Warren posted:

My loving god, I know ball pythons are picky as poo poo when it comes to eating but it's been a MONTH, will you assholes at least pick a schedule! My albino girls look all excited and exploring and eager to eat until I offer them a mouse. Then they sniff...sniff....head off to do something else.

Our adult rosy boa went 3 months of refusing food last year, but then again rosys can get away with that. She didn't have any noticable weight loss from it or anything. The benefits of being from a rather desolate area where food would be infrequent.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Where is a good place to order live pinkies? The sites I'm finding are pretty suboptimal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah our new guy hasn't eaten for a month, but that's not exactly weird for ball pythons. Trying again tomorrow; problem is he was raised on live, so he's being picky about frozen. (I don't want to risk getting live, and then having him not eat that either, and then having a pet mouse/rat for my younger kid to get attached to.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh I know, I've had these balls for years. It just drives me up the wall!

None of them will eat rats regularly so I ended up selling all the rats I had. Same with the African soft furred rats; one snake would eat one sporadically. Meanwhile the adult mice they will chow down...but one girl eats about 5-6 every other week, a male might eat one every two weeks. I know you're more hungry than that!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of, I am thinking of hooking both the undertank and the CHE to the same thermostat, but not sure how dumb this is. I may just unplug the undertank entirely since it's doing gently caress-all after we added cypress for humidity.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's one thing I extremely appreciate about BCI's, they're such eager eaters. I don't think I've ever had one refuse. Although my little guy is... special. He likes to get himself in a position where after he coils it, he can't possibly get in a position to start eating. I've had to play the fun game of "distract him with one hand while I pry the mouse free from him with another" a couple of times now. Last time I did that, I brought the mouse back to him for round 2, and he just got right up to it with his nose and stopped moving. I bumped it against his nose, and he opened his mouth wide and made me maneuver the mouse into it. I've never heard of a snake being spoiled before, but jesus christ that has to come close. Couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So out of all my axolotl babies, I found an oddball. He has a shrunken body, looks almost like a balloon molly compared to a normal one. I really thought it would have died by now, but he is kicking and about half the size of his brothers. I wonder how large he will get.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I know nothing about axolotls but if it can eat and poop, hopefully it just lives forever as a weird little water noodle.

My jungle carpet python just laid 12 good eggs and one slug a week ahead of her “usual” other 2 clutches. Her boyfriend has a good dorsal
Stripe, so hoping some of the babies do too!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

HungryMedusa posted:

I know nothing about axolotls but if it can eat and poop, hopefully it just lives forever as a weird little water noodle.

My jungle carpet python just laid 12 good eggs and one slug a week ahead of her “usual” other 2 clutches. Her boyfriend has a good dorsal
Stripe, so hoping some of the babies do too!

Our bull snakes tried the whole "having babies" thing for the first time this year. We got a pile of slugs and that was it, but since it was her first clutch ever we weren't really too surprised.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Arm warm, thanks Bro

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cowslips Warren posted:

So out of all my axolotl babies, I found an oddball. He has a shrunken body, looks almost like a balloon molly compared to a normal one. I really thought it would have died by now, but he is kicking and about half the size of his brothers. I wonder how large he will get.

I've seen a few reports of axolotl dwarfism, could it be that?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've seen a few reports of axolotl dwarfism, could it be that?

It might be! I was calling it a balloon axie like the poor mollyfish. New name. Imp.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My axie has a new house and 10 days later he's still not keen on exploring it, preferring to stay behind a decoration in one corner. There are plenty of hiding places around the new tank so I hope we see him making use of the extra space soon. I feel sorry for him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How big is the new tank, and what decor?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
It's 125l (approx. 50 x 80 x 35cm) and has a bare bottom, some stones, his old hide, two coconut shells with plants on (one of which he curled up inside for a day or so - didn't think he'd fit!) and a couple of... General decoration bits. I wondered if there was an issue with lack of floor space but he's not prevented from going on top of things like he did in the old tank.

e: Light is on currently on for the plants, we try to do this for an hour-ish each day as a boost so they don't melt. Max doesn't seem to hide any more when the light is on anyway but we know axolotls are not a light-loving species.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 7, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Our ball python ate. :toot:

I was worried he would never make the transition from live to dead rodents, but he finally did.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Our ball python ate. :toot:

I was worried he would never make the transition from live to dead rodents, but he finally did.

Congratulations! Balls can be real jerks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pick posted:

This is a dumb question and let's not get into the backstory if we can avoid it, but I have a very smart skink and I think he's lonely. He was sold to me with very precise instructions (following an individual's personal tragedy) that I have followed carefully and the vet says he's very healthy. Having ensured I am not such a complete moron to have ended his life (and that the instructions were therefore probably good), I am worried about his loneliness. However I cannot for the life of me figure out how this completely bizarre world of herp buying works. Can anyone help me?

just change around his tank and maybe add a new hide. skinks are pretty smart and like variety. he probably isnt that lonely. maybe let him out in a enclosed safe area sometimes. My BTS tends to either be underground or waddling around her cage and wanting out or eating or demanding i turn the mister on faster.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
here's a cutie from my yard. A ribbon snake, I guess? I like having these little dudes around.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That is a well fed happy snake!

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I ran into a trio of garter snakes while doing lawn work this afternoon, with the largest one slowly scooting around the side of the house to get more sun, and the other two basically riding him piggyback one head-length behind. Their tails would all get twisted together, then the one in the middle would thrash its around every 30 seconds or so, and they'd scoot forward again.

It was a very cute little Bloodborne enemy/threesome.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

They were totally doin it! :3:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Congrats on stumbling into a snake orgy!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Psychepath posted:

I ran into a trio of garter snakes while doing lawn work this afternoon, with the largest one slowly scooting around the side of the house to get more sun, and the other two basically riding himher piggybareback one head-length behind.

ftfy

(Biology is great)

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Cless Alvein posted:

Congrats on stumbling into a snake orgy!

Yep! Garters (some species, at least) can have massive orgies, with dozens of snakes (usually a ton of snakes fighting over one female). What Psychepath saw was pretty tame for them, haha.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'd love to live somewhere it was normal to stumble over snakes just out and about. I've only seen a slow worm once and it was dead.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'd love to live somewhere it was normal to stumble over snakes just out and about. I've only seen a slow worm once and it was dead.

there are parts of Florida where you can run into all kinds of giant and dangerous snakes from all over the world like some kind of Far Cry sandbox...

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Bollock Monkey posted:

Much of the US has abundant snakes if you know where to look. England . . . not so much. In the past three weeks, I've found five live copperheads (venomous), a Dekay's brown snake (harmless), a northern water snake (armless), and then two dead copperheads, a dead brown snake, a dead worm snake, two dead black rat snakes, and a dead unknown (probably BRS) on my nightly walk. Granted, I'm intentionally walking at a time when snakes are active on a road where snakes tend to cross, but it's been fun, and it's within a medium-sized city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adult corn snake is approx 20 years old and she is not eating well in the last couple months or so. Takes several attempts to get her to take a rat. Most times she just leaves it and we gotta throw it out before it goes bad. Eventually she goes for one but she seems pretty sedentary lately.
Gonna take to a vet asap since we are becoming worried about her but was wondering how common this is in very old snakes, shes our oldest one and mom of the others so we dont know anything about end of life for corns.
Thanks.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 26, 2019