Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wait just so I'm clear who are we giving the business too harder, Day 1 JG, or the guy who took his gun apart on watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I dunno. I've seen both a few times. I'm not even kidding, I've seen at least three dipshits I remember take their guns apart on watch and get caught. I've seen untold amounts of ensigns and jgs gently caress up their admin. I've also seen untold amounts of them do a Richie Cummingham and try to change the Navy their first year in the fleet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

How (Why) did you get a new avatar?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Elendil004 posted:

Wait just so I'm clear who are we giving the business too harder, Day 1 JG, or the guy who took his gun apart on watch?

Day 1. The other guys repeated self flagellation has satisfied my desire to actively ridicule his poor choice. Never trust a JO whose first reaction is "it's not my fault" instead of "oh gently caress".

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nick Soapdish posted:

How (Why) did you get a new avatar?

I've been loving around in fyad as usual.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elendil004 posted:

Day 1 JG, I was being a tool about my admin and check in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Elendil004 posted:

Yes

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We need to go back to this uniform

found while exploring this place

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DustyNuts posted:

We need to go back to this uniform

found while exploring this place

Dungarees are the best. This sea-green warrior stuff is crap.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
A bunch of y'all need to chill the gently caress out. There is literally no way someone with 0 fleet experience straight out of the training command can be expected to know that they needed to apply for a gov passport to join their squadron on deployment unless someone loving tells them and the person that was supposed to absolutely did drop the ball. And Jimmy did exactly what he should have done once he found it about it. He didn't blame admin or any of his enlisted people. Seriously, get over yourselves.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

King of Bees posted:

I dunno. I've seen both a few times. I'm not even kidding, I've seen at least three dipshits I remember take their guns apart on watch and get caught. I've seen untold amounts of ensigns and jgs gently caress up their admin. I've also seen untold amounts of them do a Richie Cummingham and try to change the Navy their first year in the fleet.

One of my shipmates on first ship (he’s a YN1 or YNC now I believe) went down to berthing while standing an armed rover watch, took his gun belt and all off, and had it on the deck in front of a couch while he napped. A duty chief found him like that, took, his weapon, and stood the rest of his watch. He was at DRB early the next morning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

A bunch of y'all need to chill the gently caress out. There is literally no way someone with 0 fleet experience straight out of the training command can be expected to know that they needed to apply for a gov passport to join their squadron on deployment unless someone loving tells them and the person that was supposed to absolutely did drop the ball. And Jimmy did exactly what he should have done once he found it about it. He didn't blame admin or any of his enlisted people. Seriously, get over yourselves.

I was a SWO. What do you expect?

Also, it was almost certainly in his orders.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was a SWO. What do you expect?

Also, it was almost certainly in his orders.

It was a very SWO response. :)

I joined my second squadron on deployment and I don't recall it being in my orders but its not like I'd necessarily remember that.

Even so, he's been in the fleet like a minute so I'm inclined to cut him a little slack even if I do in principle mostly agree with your rant. Just not for day one j.g's. ;)

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Yeah he will be fine. It’s a low bar for a new JO in a VP squadron, though having your first impression be missing deployment because of random admin issues probably wouldn’t look great.

Sounds like he is fixing it anyways. I wouldn’t try to loop yourself in to fix it or whatever upon check in, just give the next guy who picks up sponsor duty a nudge once you’ve been there a minute.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

vulturesrow posted:

It was a very SWO response. :)

I joined my second squadron on deployment and I don't recall it being in my orders but its not like I'd necessarily remember that.

Even so, he's been in the fleet like a minute so I'm inclined to cut him a little slack even if I do in principle mostly agree with your rant. Just not for day one j.g's. ;)

Aww. We're just funnin him mister, didn't mean nothing by it. *kicks a can*

He'll get cut all sorts of slack, as he should be. If it was written in his orders then it's a good first lesson to read things thoroughly. If it isn't then it's a good lesson to ask questions but he isn't at fault. All in all it's a good learning point for any junior sailor and their first experience with the fleet.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I can't believe I wrote Richie Cummingham. That wasn't intentional. Jesus.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

King of Bees posted:

I can't believe I wrote Richie Cummingham. That wasn't intentional. Jesus.

It was hilarious though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah reflags, lay ups and fit outs are their own thing. Dry docks too.

But I’ve never seen a whole crew switch in normal operations on a commercial boat.

We switched the whole boat every 21 days in the OSV sector, no issues

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
In all fairness though I should have worded my original post better so I wasn't so whiney :unsmith:

Mr. Nice!, fwiw, I read, re read and triple checked my orders and it didn't mention anything about the passport or instruction about it. Only big standouts in there was making sure my TS was good and making sure medical tested me for HIV.

Like Bees said, if nothing else I've been learning about asking questions and who to be asking as well.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Definitely, I've been doing a ton of complaining, but I do understand that it is on me to get my own poo poo squared away. Got all the paperwork done, just have to turn it into PSD and coordinated with the admin to make sure me and a couple of other people bring all our required stuff. I do want to loop in with admin to help out with any new gains to the squadron.

Not trying to pile on, but we actively told you when you went to OCS that the single most important requirement for your service is that you should be on top of all of your paperwork and then to retain it on record for retrieval when required. We were serious about that.

e: What was not mentioned previously is that you should be proactive in investigating "What paperwork am I not being told about", which I guess is a thing we could all learn.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah, and it's not like I hosed a student or anything. They told me not to gently caress the students like a million times, and I still maintain that they never explicitly told me not to take my gun apart on watch.

You can be sure that everyone gets told that, now. You're welcome. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jimmy4400nav posted:

In all fairness though I should have worded my original post better so I wasn't so whiney :unsmith:

Mr. Nice!, fwiw, I read, re read and triple checked my orders and it didn't mention anything about the passport or instruction about it. Only big standouts in there was making sure my TS was good and making sure medical tested me for HIV.

Like Bees said, if nothing else I've been learning about asking questions and who to be asking as well.

Alright, well, I might have been a bit of a dick.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I still maintain that they never explicitly told me not to take my gun apart on watch.
This. This right here is why we're treated like loving infants.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeah, and it's not like I hosed a student or anything. They told me not to gently caress the students like a million times, and I still maintain that they never explicitly told me not to take my gun apart on watch.

Has the Navy explicitly told you not to strip naked, light your pubes on fire, and run through the wardroom while screaming "THERE'S A SKELETON INSIDE ME!!!!!" or is it more implied?

You dumb gently caress.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

McNally posted:

Has the Navy explicitly told you not to strip naked, light your pubes on fire, and run through the wardroom while screaming "THERE'S A SKELETON INSIDE ME!!!!!" or is it more implied?

You dumb gently caress.

so we aren't supposed to do that? :thunk:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

You’re the reason hair dryers say “do not use in the shower” on them aren’t you?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

You dumb gently caress.

Shiiiiiiiiit

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McNally posted:

You dumb gently caress.

Well gently caress I guess I look dumb huh

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

McNally posted:

You dumb gently caress.

I mean, the Navy does have to tell people to not get so drunk that they strip off their clothes and wonder around the woods.

And the Navy also has to tell people that getting drunk at an event, then telling your female subordinates that you'll qualify them if they give you a BJ is probably not a good idea.

edit: I forgot, the Navy never told anyone that they shouldn't purchase fireworks and store them in the RSL either, so.....

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Blowjobs for quals is time honored submarine tradition!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

ded posted:

Blowjobs for quals is time honored submarine tradition!

and letting women into the sub fleet will ruin it :argh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So....

Iraq (lol)
Bahrain
Gtmo
Qatar
DjiBouti

As Mob opps?

Mind you after you guys little steakhouse recommendations I’ll do a bit more research but peeps are telling me Bahrain may be best for my pocket book.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

So....

Iraq (lol)
Bahrain
Gtmo
Qatar
DjiBouti

As Mob opps?

Mind you after you guys little steakhouse recommendations I’ll do a bit more research but peeps are telling me Bahrain may be best for my pocket book.

Bahrain would be the nicest option. I've been to that base and it's pretty legit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

You dumb gently caress.

Well, I know what I'm doing if there's ever a draft again and my overage rear end gets called up.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LingcodKilla posted:

So....

Iraq (lol)
Bahrain
Gtmo
Qatar
DjiBouti

As Mob opps?

How long? 6 months? 12 months?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

How long? 6 months? 12 months?

360 days from what I saw. Didn’t see any 6 month orders offered.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Are you just mobing for funsies? Out of those bahrainis alright because the base is large, but I've also almost been murdered out there so....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Are you just mobing for funsies? Out of those bahrainis alright because the base is large, but I've also almost been murdered out there so....

Funsie/money/GI bill.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Funsie/money/GI bill.

Go to Gitmo and report back whether THIS is still true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

So....

Iraq (lol)
Bahrain
Gtmo
Qatar
DjiBouti

As Mob opps?

I'll be in DJ so my vote is DJ.
Gitmo was surprisingly chill when I was there for a day as well.