Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
At this rate he'll keep cancelling and returning his TVs to buy a different configuration of TVs until the new models go on sale, all while renting a lovely TV for $50 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I returned two 55" TCL 6 units before settling on a third. First one had bad banding, 2nd one had a broken screw hole for the mount, 3rd is smooth sailin. Actually the banding and color uniformity is a little funky on a grey screen but whatever, better than the first one and only I would notice.

It's more blue on the right side :smith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

American McGay posted:

At this rate he'll keep cancelling and returning his TVs to buy a different configuration of TVs until the new models go on sale, all while renting a lovely TV for $50 a month.

What do you mean “at this rate”? I’ve only cancelled one order, and that was only to buy a smaller size of the same TV.

I’m only asking questions because I’m a super paranoid person (anxiety disorders suck rear end) and I want to make double sure the smaller TV is actually the same in all other ways. TVs can be big purchases and buyer’s remorse is a hell of a thing.

qbert posted:

The way the question was worded made it sound like he thought 4K was the refresh rate.

It’s true, I don’t know refresh words good :negative:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 1, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S421 $318 shipped from Walmart

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doesn’t Walmart strip parts out of their TVs to make them cheaper, to the point that some repair places won’t work on them?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Dunno but that model is labeled the "S421" and I posted last page about Rakuten selling the "S405" for $296.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I. M. Gei posted:

Doesn’t Walmart strip parts out of their TVs to make them cheaper, to the point that some repair places won’t work on them?

It's not that Walmart strips them, Walmart sets a price and demands that manufacturers meet that price. I imagine it's up to the manufacturer to decide how to mitigate any losses. It's my understanding Black Friday deals are the same.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something Offal posted:

I returned two 55" TCL 6 units before settling on a third. First one had bad banding, 2nd one had a broken screw hole for the mount, 3rd is smooth sailin. Actually the banding and color uniformity is a little funky on a grey screen but whatever, better than the first one and only I would notice.

It's more blue on the right side :smith:

No such thing as a perfect TV.

Don’t do this kind of testing, you’ll just drive yourself mad. Watch a selection of stuff that covers your spectrum and if anything jumps out, then sure maybe consider returning. Looking for problems will only being heartache.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don’t do this kind of testing, you’ll just drive yourself mad. Watch a selection of stuff that covers your spectrum and if anything jumps out, then sure maybe consider returning. Looking for problems will only being heartache.

This is exactly the sort of thing I would tend to do myself, so thank you for this post.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

LG: letter is the spec level, number is the year model (9 is this year/latest)

the only diff between C8 and B8 is the C8 has better internal speakers.

all other specs are exactly the same between the C and B. the E8 is the only one that is better spec'd.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Laserface posted:

LG: letter is the spec level, number is the year model (9 is this year/latest)

the only diff between C8 and B8 is the C8 has better internal speakers.

all other specs are exactly the same between the C and B. the E8 is the only one that is better spec'd.

This is wrong. The B8 didn't get the new processor that the C8/E8/W8 got.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the B series has consistently been left with a lower performing processor.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I stand corrected!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I thought the different processor thing was new for the 2018 models, and that in previous years the functional differences were limited to the built in speakers.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65R615 $800 shipped from Best Buy

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

wolrah posted:

I thought the different processor thing was new for the 2018 models, and that in previous years the functional differences were limited to the built in speakers.

True -- B7/C7 were identical.

B9/C9 have different processors as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So did the B6 and C6.

The 7 series is the only year they had the same processor.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
IIRC the only difference is between the C8 and the E8 is that the latter has "better" audio

I still can't believe that I got my 55" E8 for $1100, this TV is incredible. The upgraded audio doesn't really matter since I got a receiver and 2.1 system

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

it'd be nice if I could repurpose the netflix/amazon video buttons on my LG remote. I use neither, and youtube/plex would be much better as direct buttons.

I mean really it should be that you can program those two buttons to select any source/function quickly that you want.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
LG C8 65" now at $1,849 on newegg and $1,999 on B&H WHICH I think best buy price matches on i'll let you all know after 8 am

edit oh best buy is sold out

703 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 3, 2019

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

But do they price match?

$1800 was gonna be my price to drive down to Delaware and get the c8 65".

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

it'd be nice if I could repurpose the netflix/amazon video buttons on my LG remote. I use neither, and youtube/plex would be much better as direct buttons.

I mean really it should be that you can program those two buttons to select any source/function quickly that you want.

Those buttons were probably chosen because of substantial compensation between those companies. Not an accident that it's non-configurable. Would be interesting to see that contract and the amounts.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My TV is coming “on or before” May 16th gently caress THAT I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW NOOOOOOW

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm currently in a pissing match with TCL who claims this jail bar level of gray non-uniformity is "within our acceptable levels" (it's even worse in person):

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's acceptable unless your main viewing is a offgray screen. Don't do this to yourself man. Just enjoy your nice TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

That's acceptable unless your main viewing is a offgray screen. Don't do this to yourself man. Just enjoy your nice TV.

It's not because I can see it during normal tv viewing. That's the whole point of me wanting to return it.

Edit: even my wife noticed it. She asked me the other day why our TV looked like wavy paper.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BonoMan posted:

I'm currently in a pissing match with TCL who claims this jail bar level of gray non-uniformity is "within our acceptable levels" (it's even worse in person):

EL BROMANCE posted:

From what I recall, my LG OLED EF9500 has similar looking levels. I notice them every so often (I'm sure that specific GoT episode would highlight them) but generally not.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yes I notice it. When watching golf I can see it pretty clearly. Any solid-ish colors I can see it and I can see it in lots of bright HDR content. I'm not AVS Forums-ing it... It's actually noticeable to me.

Gray non-uniformity is fine with me... But the pronounced jailbar ones are actually noticeable.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I went through 100% the exact same thing as you, and after the pissing match they finally acquiesced, picked up the TV and sent me a check for the purchase price. My panel looked basically identical to yours, and it was noticeable with any bright content, not just a solid color.

I learned my lesson to test something like a TV as soon as I buy it, then return to the retailer if there's some bullshit like that. You 100% got the short straw of the panel lottery.

It looks like you also have the identical slight blue shift on the right side, that however is unnoticeable with normal content, just interesting that the manufacturing process consistently causes that, and TCL doesn't care lol. Wonder which component causes it.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 3, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 43S515 $250 shipped from Best Buy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm a little out of touch with TVs these days, what are the best bang for the buck options in the 65" 4K neighborhood? I actually need it to fit in a 68" wide section of the wall so I'm not sure if a 70" would fit there or not.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Depends on your budget. <$1000 = TCL R615, <$2000 = LG C8

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

American McGay posted:

Depends on your budget. <$1000 = TCL R615, <$2000 = LG C8

Hmmm, budget isn't set in stone but that cheaper one is kind of calling my name.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Help me hdtv thread. New TCL 6 series, same other pieces of hardware. When I’m idling on the menu without anything please I get a static click/pop through my soundbar every 45 seconds or so. Any idea what that could be?

Rhyno posted:

Hmmm, budget isn't set in stone but that cheaper one is kind of calling my name.

I just got the 65” TCL there and it’s awwwwwesome. I have a few weird tiny quirks/issues with it as mentioned above but nothing that detracts from how much I like it. It’s a fantastic tv and I can’t believe it was only $800. If you want to know anything about it let me know.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey is this a good deal? I’m about to pull the trigger:
LG OLED55E8PUA for $1349 shipped... new

If I can get some confirmation, I’ll be happy and pull the trigger.

Thanks HDTV thread!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not sure the exact differences of the E series compared to the C series but it might just be casing/speakers, which may or may not be particularly important to you. If you like the look of the TV then that's a decent enough deal, but if you look around you should be able to find a C series for ~300 cheaper and the panel portion of the TV will be exactly the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just got the 65” TCL there and it’s awwwwwesome. I have a few weird tiny quirks/issues with it as mentioned above but nothing that detracts from how much I like it. It’s a fantastic tv and I can’t believe it was only $800. If you want to know anything about it let me know.

Do you use it for gaming much? That's probably going to be the bulk of its use where I'll be directly in front of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rhyno posted:

Do you use it for gaming much? That's probably going to be the bulk of its use where I'll be directly in front of it.

That was our primary focus and it absolutely rules. The HDR is insanely nice as someone who never had it before. Input is super fast and responsive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Excellent. I'll probably head over to BB on Monday to check it out in person.