Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

nsaP posted:

Probably not a practical thing for them to wear when doing the climbs they’re doing

It's not really practical for climbing at all. It's most effective for skiers who are in open spaces with few obstacles. It's not going to stop the trauma injuries that'll occur as climbers bounce down hundreds of feet of rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Conditions are worsening here. We're getting increased frequency and duration of Chinooks which is warm moist air from the west, and in winter this will make the temperature go from below to above freezing, and either create hot sunny days or dump 4 feet of snow in a day or two. With the sunny days comes intense solar heating of snow surfaces, which makes those dense crust layers, that then get tons more powder layered on top, which will just slough off with pressure or disturbance. Stack multiple slabs with multiple powder layers and you've got brutal avi conditions all season long. Then in spring it just gets so much worse because it all heats up and starts to melt. Water melts through powder and lubricates the slab surface which makes it super unstable and even more prone to sliding.

Alberta is also notorious for having a lot of people with the attitude of "government can't tell me what to do" so any official warnings about literally anything here gets ignored all the time.

"Avalanche conditions are extreme, avoid backcountry or alpine travel."

"gently caress you I took an avi level 2 course I do what I want."

"Trail closed due to bear activity"

"gently caress you I'm bear aware I do what I want"

"Dogs must be leashed in all provincial and national parks"

"gently caress you my dog deserves to run free I do what I want"

The three foreigners who died likely had more of the attitude of

"Those warnings are for amateurs and idiots, not for me. I KNOW what I'm doing. Sounds more like a challenge than a warning let's send it boys"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Picnic Princess posted:

"Those warnings are for amateurs and idiots, not for me. I KNOW what I'm doing. Sounds more like a challenge than a warning let's send it boys"

Or, more likely, they took a calculated risk and lost.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Chance of dying: 10%

[Hiker] Sounds like a good day to get some chores done!

[Skier] Let's hit the resort bra

[Alpinist] Time to get after it :rambo:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Baronash posted:

Or, more likely, they took a calculated risk and lost.

unless they did their own slab test there's pretty much no clear distinction, at least from the outside looking in, between "warnings are for nerds" and "a calculated risk"

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Lol those "three foreigners" were some of the best alpinists in the world. They knew more about avalanches than you do, and as much as any avalanche forecaster.

Like most of their dead peers, they had a very informed and nuanced understanding of the risks they were taking.

The avalanche conditions in that region of Banff, for the days leading up to their summit, were actually fairly OK considering their route (according to the official forecasting). The main concern was wind slab on N/NE/E faces. Though they were ascending an east face, it's so steep and rocky that wind slab wasn't a concern. Cornices on top of the ridge might have been but that's the kind of risk they could examine once there. The snowpack was reasonably rightside up and a faceted weak layer ~70cm down had not produced any avalanches in awhile and was deemed not a big concern in official forecasts (indeed, there was no mention of any slab problem in the official forecasts until after several large ones on the day these guys died). Dry loose activity was minimal on the 15th and 16th and it really wasn't until the weather turned on the 17th that it became a real problem. What ultimately killed them was a massive dry slab avalanche while they were rappelling down.

So while the avalanche conditions weren't, like, great, the risk was not super obvious or anything and frankly was small compared to the risk of climbing whatever M-16 / WI7+ bullshit they were climbing. The weather deteriorating sooner than expected on the 17th, combined with notoriously difficult to forecast deep slab activity that day, meant that even a skilled avalanche forecaster wouldn't have been able to predict ahead of time that the generally good conditions on the 15th would turn lethal two days later.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

lubricates the slab

Nice reference to my sex tape there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Morbus posted:

Lol those "three foreigners" were some of the best alpinists in the world. They knew more about avalanches than you do, and as much as any avalanche forecaster.

Like most of their dead peers, they had a very informed and nuanced understanding of the risks they were taking.

The avalanche conditions in that region of Banff, for the days leading up to their summit, were actually fairly OK considering their route (according to the official forecasting). The main concern was wind slab on N/NE/E faces. Though they were ascending an east face, it's so steep and rocky that wind slab wasn't a concern. Cornices on top of the ridge might have been but that's the kind of risk they could examine once there. The snowpack was reasonably rightside up and a faceted weak layer ~70cm down had not produced any avalanches in awhile and was deemed not a big concern in official forecasts (indeed, there was no mention of any slab problem in the official forecasts until after several large ones on the day these guys died). Dry loose activity was minimal on the 15th and 16th and it really wasn't until the weather turned on the 17th that it became a real problem. What ultimately killed them was a massive dry slab avalanche while they were rappelling down.

So while the avalanche conditions weren't, like, great, the risk was not super obvious or anything and frankly was small compared to the risk of climbing whatever M-16 / WI7+ bullshit they were climbing. The weather deteriorating sooner than expected on the 17th, combined with notoriously difficult to forecast deep slab activity that day, meant that even a skilled avalanche forecaster wouldn't have been able to predict ahead of time that the generally good conditions on the 15th would turn lethal two days later.

I'm very well aware of all of this, and I also know professional sponsored outdoors people who 100% have the attitude of "I know what I'm doing so I don't have to worry about these warnings."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm very well aware of all of this, and I also know professional sponsored outdoors people who 100% have the attitude of "I know what I'm doing so I don't have to worry about these warnings."

it's not even really a reflection on their character if they did ignore the warnings; people sometimes produce results that seem totally inconsistent with their competencies if they get too in their own head and aren't seeking external confirmation, and smart/intelligent/proficient people are no exception. surgeons, after a decade of school and another of practice, sometimes amputate the wrong leg if the failsafes and triplechecks in the surgery department break down. highly competent pilots with thousands of hours in the air sometimes forget to lower the landing gear when an unusual situation causes them to get task-saturated and forget the checklist.

without insight into their prep or knowing they did specific tests, it's anyone's guess as to their mindset

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/asia/mount-everest-trash-cleanup-scli-intl/index.html

6600 pounds of trash and 4 bodies removed prior to start of mass suicide season

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We’re only a sixteen days from peak summiting time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't mean to be crass or oversimplify a complex problem, but if they're trying to still have lots of climbing traffic, and still minimize the ecologically impact of climbers, could they not build a nearby "green" waste management facility?

I would imagine if there's a sustainable way of handling all the poo poo and trash at base camp, it would benefit climbers and the government.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't mean to be crass or oversimplify a complex problem, but if they're trying to still have lots of climbing traffic, and still minimize the ecologically impact of climbers, could they not build a nearby "green" waste management facility?

I would imagine if there's a sustainable way of handling all the poo poo and trash at base camp, it would benefit climbers and the government.

Not sure that the climbers' familys would be cool with burning their bodies for power, especially if they hadn't left base camp yet

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Composting might be an option if global warming progresses.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Wasabi the J posted:

It more or less boils down to a "who will pay for it" sort of situation I think.

There's actually very little we as a species couldn't manage but Nepal bearing the incredible expense of building a modern waste management facility (vs throwing all the human waste they can find down a crevasse) in the middle of Everest when most of the country is using cesspits is kinda unlikely you know?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah nepal has bigger things to worry about than cleaning up rich people's party litter

it's everest, not dolores park

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi
Oh hey, Everest base camp is apparently in the midst of a Swine Flu (H1N1) outbreak. I wonder who the 'First American Woman Actively Contagious with Swine Flu of Polish and Irish Decent that Doesn't Like Potatoes and Claims Gluten Intolerance but still Eats Pizza While Drunk' to summit Everest will be

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2019/05/21/Climber-tops-Mount-Everest-for-record-24th-time-and-plans-25th/3891558448954/

Sherpa Kami Rita adds on to his record with his 23rd and 24th successful climbs (done less than a month apart EDIT- Or as gschmidi more accurately put it, "Where 'less than a month apart' means 'twice in 7 days'."). Says he's going to do one more and then retire. Dude is a beast:

quote:

Rita has also climbed other tall peaks -- including K-2, the world's second-tallest mountain, Cho-oyu, Lhotse and Annapurna.

Also, looks like a relatively quiet, successful season so far.

quote:

So far this season, 75 climbers have reached the top of Everest. More than 380 permits have been issued for expeditions.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 22, 2019

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
:eyepop: Wow, that's impressive!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Sherpa Kami Rita adds on to his record with his 23rd and 24th successful climbs (done less than a month apart). Says he's going to do one more and then retire.

Where "less than a month apart" means "twice in 7 days".

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

gschmidl posted:

Where "less than a month apart" means "twice in 7 days".

Thanks, going to mention that in my post.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Hey is this the line for starbucks?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0GhvhBDT0/?igshid=1jddmubc95vql

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lol this is gonna get real grim the next time a 1996 happens

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

how do you not see that massive line of people and think "i've made a terrible mistake"

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I would love to know what's going through the minds of people who can look at the casualty rate for this mountain and think "yes, I still want to do this".

Like, do you just think that you're special and immune?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

I would love to know what's going through the minds of people who can look at the casualty rate for this mountain and think "yes, I still want to do this".

Like, do you just think that you're special and immune?

the overwhelming majority of rich people literally think this, yes

not imploding into an existential crisis and/or giving away your wealth requires lying to yourself and saying you deserve it more than other people, because you had the unique characteristics needed to earn it, rather than having showed up and gotten lucky

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"When I tell my employees at my mandatory pep talk about how I braved the elements and triumphed against all the odds, I'll leave out the really long line I waited in to get to the top"

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890274

next thread, i guess

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You might not have realized that this thread is actually in Take a Hike, not GBS. The last time someone tried to remake the thread and put it in GBS, it was shitposted into oblivion.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This thread is Base Camp, the GBS threads are all collapsed tents flapping in the wind somewhere in the Death Zone.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
That picture is madness! Next week I go for my european mountain trip, I go alone (which is never a good idea in the mountains), at least won't get crowds :|

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

this is the meta thread where we take bets on how long til someone who knew the google gentrifier who died in the avalanche gets the gbs thread shut down

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Return of welp

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Look at this idiot.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Also, looks like a relatively quiet, successful season so far.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

quote:

Cash said on his LinkedIn page that he left his job as a sales executive to try to join the so-called seven summits club

I hope he serves as an inspiration to sales execs everywhere.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

They should reduce overcrowding by restricting permits to only those who have some unique qualification such as being the first biracial woman over 5'10" tall from central Europe over 50 to climb everest. Just put up a sign that says you must be at least this unique to continue past basecamp.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Make K2 permits cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

That photo of people crowded up and waiting on the icefall is kinda scary.