Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
should have went to Bill's house to recharge his crystals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When Jobs worked at Atari, everyone hated having him around because he never showered because he believed that because he only ate fruit and vegetables, he didn't need to, and everyone complaining about it was actually just smelling themselves. Also everything he made for Atari was so weird no one could understand what he was doing because Jobs refused to follow established engineering principles.

Dunking on Apple is so 90s. Didn't they only survive because Bill Gates gave them money? Who knew they'd revolutionize the way we listen to music on the go? If i could go back in time and tell me or my dad one thing, it would be invest in Apple when it was at its lowest.

Iron Crowned posted:

At least we had Marathon

One of my friends was the Apple guy and we'd be talking about Doom or Quake or Command and Conquer or whatever PC game we were all playing at the time, and he'd pop in "but Marathon is better than any of that!".

BTW, Captain Marvel reminded me of a lot of computer stuff in the 90s. The internet going out, she still needing to look on a map after she gets the address, or later on when they pop the CD in the computer and everyone just casually chills while it loads, though she being from a hyper advanced Alien civilization the idea of having to wait for a computer to load stuff is unknown to her. Nothing like putting the disk in the drive, then going off to watch TV or playing SNES for a while before it asks for the next disk.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Dunking on Apple is so 90s. Didn't they only survive because Bill Gates gave them money? Who knew they'd revolutionize the way we listen to music on the go? If i could go back in time and tell me or my dad one thing, it would be invest in Apple when it was at its lowest.
k.

I bought a bunch of AAPL in my Roth IRA after getting an iPod and being amazed by it in 2003.

My other attempts to find a stock before it blew up...not as good.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

twistedmentat posted:

Nothing like putting the disk in the drive, then going off to watch TV or playing SNES for a while before it asks for the next disk.
I remember installing Riven from a whopping five (!) CDs, which was unbelievably big for a game in my mind.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lord Hydronium posted:

I remember installing Riven from a whopping five (!) CDs, which was unbelievably big for a game in my mind.

I remember a game that was on 40 3.5s and that seemed like an insane amount. I think it was called Strike Commander. Also my first computer had a 340 mb hd and once i installed everything I wanted It was barely a 3rd full.

Bobby Digital posted:

I bought a bunch of AAPL in my Roth IRA after getting an iPod and being amazed by it in 2003.

My other attempts to find a stock before it blew up...not as good.

I hope you didn't invest in tech stocks with what you got from Apple. Again, late 90s and early 2000s blur together, was the tech boom 90s or 2000s? Like the whole companies popping up and making millions without actually producing a product or having a revenue stream outside of investment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Boom was 90s because by 2001 there was a contraction. Hell, Pets.com folded Nov 2000

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Good god please don't buy individual stocks in your retirement accounts.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

scroll down to the list at the end.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
90s cars are ugly as shiiiiiit.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

dialhforhero posted:

90s cars are ugly as shiiiiiit.

My teacher was very proud of his frog eyed ford Taurus

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

jojoinnit posted:

I've always thought that late 90s Taurus redesign looked like designer made a wax model and left it in the car and it melted on the way to his presentation but he did his pitch anyway and the execs actually bought it and they went to production with a melted model

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh god I remember Psuedo. They'd always have like weird punks and poo poo on and talk about sex and drugs and such.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was just old enough to want to use Kozmo.com but too young to have a credit card or bank card to use. Hated that they shut down because they overextended and spend thousands on Aero office chairs and poo poo.

Really could have used the hour-delivery window for condoms, ice cream and chocloates.

It strikes me as kind of funny that everyone is trying to get in on a version of that model+WebGrocer now.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
That's because nobody can afford to drive anywhere unless it's for a gig economy job now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jojoinnit posted:

My dad had a frog eyed Taurus SHO that he loved and gave to my brother because he's the favorite. Then my brother killed it less than six months later

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vox had a nice informative post on how cars went from boxy electric shavers to gentle sloping curves and round things everywhere when CAD, computer machining and a few other innovations came around.

But a whole lot of cars from the late 90s are just "no, why".

I passed a cool Kia Sportage last afternoon that had the 90s paper cup aesthetic on the driver door. That was sweet as hell.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Vox had a nice informative post on how cars went from boxy electric shavers to gentle sloping curves and round things everywhere when CAD, computer machining and a few other innovations came around.

But a whole lot of cars from the late 90s are just "no, why".

Because we can

FilthyImp posted:

I passed a cool Kia Sportage last afternoon that had the 90s paper cup aesthetic on the driver door. That was sweet as hell.

I've seen one of those too, I was very shocked to see Jazz on a car

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Iron Crowned posted:

At least we had Marathon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5yD2Ayokw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We had 2 cars in the 90s, but the one that struck me the most was my moms Jetta Pacific. I have no idea what made it a Pacific, but that logo on the side just makes me think of the 90s. My dad had a Mercades 300d and this is why i didn't get my drivers liscene until I was in my 20s, my dad would not let me touch his car and he'd not let me try the jetta because it had a manual transmission, and he didn't want me to strip the gears.

The Tau stole their symbol?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

When Jobs worked at Atari, everyone hated having him around because he never showered because he believed that because he only ate fruit and vegetables, he didn't need to, and everyone complaining about it was actually just smelling themselves. Also everything he made for Atari was so weird no one could understand what he was doing because Jobs refused to follow established engineering principles.

Weren't basically all of Jobs' contributions to Atari Wozniak's work actually?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

The Tau stole their symbol?

EH, Mazda used a similar symbol from 92 to 97

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ishikabibble posted:

Weren't basically all of Jobs' contributions to Atari Wozniak's work actually?

Jobs had Wozniak come in after hours to finish enginering Breakout in exchange for letting him play the arcade games they had there for free. After Jobs got paid for his work, he gave Woz his "half" of the check ($350), and Jobs took his "half" (the rest of the $5000) and went on vacation to India.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 18:51 on May 6, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I really don't understand why Woz remained friends with him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jobs was the genius marketing guy. Woz would be a middle level manager at HP or something if they weren't friends. And Jobs was smart enough to realize that Woz was really talented to go into business together.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well yes, I get that. I'm more left wondering why he didnt tell him to twist in the wind after the nth "Oh uh... here's that big bonus! *hands $500 over, pockets $15k"

vVv
I guess the point I'm trying to make is there is a weird element of willful deceit in those dealings to try to make Jobs, I guess, feel like he isn't just a showy salesman.
"Well maybe Woz coded everything like a wizard but then I have X+1 money and he doesn't and ha ha ha he believed my lies."

Like, dude, he's your friend and a valuable business partner. Why be such a huge dick all the time.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 17:02 on May 7, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because Woz became a millionaire fairly young and very quickly thanks to Jobs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

I really don't understand why Woz remained friends with him.

Steve Wozniak really does seem like the kind of person that tries to see the best in everybody. They were total besties when Apple started and if you hear him talk about it he really does seem genuinely sad that they didn't stay best friends. Woz did eventually leave Apple and his opinion of Jobs really did obviously sour over the years. He was apparently in tears when he found out about the time that Jobs screwed him over the worst, even though Woz said he would have totally spent that weekend helping Jobs for free, because he realized that this wasn't the Steve Jobs he remembered from the past. He realized that the close friendship was permanently over as he realized Jobs wasn't exactly trustworthy by that point.

Woz never quit being a gigantic nerd while Jobs turned into, well, Steve Jobs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I got the impression that Woz is one of those people without a mean bone in his body. He's just a big nerd that assumed that Jobs was always going to do right by him. He seemed more hurt than anything by what Jobs did.

Also Jobs was the guy who when everyone else at Atari was having fun (with hookers and blow more often than not) Jobs was the guy tut tutting everyone. Jobs always came across as the boring guy. That guy who created Soylent seems a lot like him.

I remember iMacs first coming out, and like, what the hell? I guess if you were someone who just needed a basic computer they were fine, but I remember people going "no, its better than a pc in every way!". Though when pressed, they were not able to articulate why. Plus it had the worst mouse of the era.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

I remember iMacs first coming out, and like, what the hell? I guess if you were someone who just needed a basic computer they were fine, but I remember people going "no, its better than a pc in every way!". Though when pressed, they were not able to articulate why. Plus it had the worst mouse of the era.

That's always been the attitude of Apple users since the original Macintosh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

The simplicity of having one button is the best

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyIB8FrHuf4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

They've almost always been underpowered compared to the PCs of the era, yet always cost much, much more.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

They've almost always been underpowered compared to the PCs of the era, yet always cost much, much more.

Apple learned a lesson from IBM, and made a ton of their poo poo proprietary to keep Mac prices inflated. IBM's PCs had exactly one proprietary chip, and everything else could be built with off the shelf parts. Compaq R&D reverse engineered that chip, and created the IBM Compatible, ushering in the era of PCs we know today.

If anything Macs in the 90's are more of a glimpse into what computers in general would be like if the IBM PC hadn't been cloned.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Apple learned a lesson from IBM, and made a ton of their poo poo proprietary to keep Mac prices inflated. IBM's PCs had exactly one proprietary chip, and everything else could be built with off the shelf parts. Compaq R&D reverse engineered that chip, and created the IBM Compatible, ushering in the era of PCs we know today.

If anything Macs in the 90's are more of a glimpse into what computers in general would be like if the IBM PC hadn't been cloned.

terrible, with 19 games. :ohdear:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

twistedmentat posted:

This has been the attitude of Mac fanboys since forever. It's like talking to people in a cult.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Personally I loving hate the Mac App ethos of "make everything so simple it's actually an obstacle to getting things done".

Sweevo posted:

This has been the attitude of Mac fanboys since forever. It's like talking to people in a cult.
I had a boss that was like "ahahaha, you have to DOWNLOAD things for your PC to work, my Macbook just knows!"

Fast forward a year to when the driver she's using for her printer isn't on OS X.update for some reason and the website only has drivers for, like, System 9 or someshit.

"WHAT! IT MUST BE A VIRUS!"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Randaconda posted:

terrible, with 19 games. :ohdear:

Pshaw, we wished.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I also remember Mac ads around that time implied things like you can't get Virusii on Macs because they were too good, and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

twistedmentat posted:

I also remember Mac ads around that time implied things like you can't get Virusii on Macs because they were too good, and stuff like that.

I found the best way to respond to this was "yeah, they don't get viruses because nobody bothers to make viruses for Macs" :smug:

It was a stupid and completely false statement, but it shut them up.