Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Moose posted:

Aww gently caress. Temur reclamation is pretty much not a deck anymore. No point in playing Shock effects, there are now a critical mass of 3-toughness creatures that put you in the toilet. Now the deck needs Anger of the Gods to be playable. gently caress that was my favorite deck. What other decks are going to play Niv? I guess I just have to play Esper control because that seems like the 1 real deck in standard right now.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Ali Aintrazi just slapped together a Tamiyo Nexus deck and it is DISGUSTING

He hasn't been banned yet?

Hellsau posted:

If Kefnet doesn't die to removal, it still isn't very good.

oh except in limited where it is nearly unbeatable

The swath of "unbeatable in limited and makes no impact in standard at all" cards is really annoying. They make a cycle of god eternals whose sole impact was making GBS threads up the limited format.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Eej posted:

It's a 4 mana flying 4/5 with upside what more do you want in a midrange deck

that's not good enough in this standard. its a super weak upside that often does nothing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Eej posted:

It's a 4 mana flying 4/5 with upside what more do you want in a midrange deck

well i'd want a midrange deck that isn't garbage, for one

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
This standard is BAD

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hellsau posted:

well i'd want a midrange deck that isn't garbage, for one

https://twitter.com/mtgGraylon/status/1124489451697139712

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Kefnet is horrible in this deck against Gates-Nexus and Esper. Post-board with Esper, that matchup was just hilarious because their threats are all laughable and you get to just slam planeswalkers, clear the board and then own them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah simic with nexus, reclamation and tamiyo seems real strong. Watch it in action (4:00:00 if the timestamp doesn't work) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/420251597?t=04h17s

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
kefnet is bad

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Ali Aintrazi just slapped together a Tamiyo Nexus deck and it is DISGUSTING

It's not really a unique development, tons of people are running tamiyo on arena. The card is dirty in the U/G nexus deck though.

Hellsau posted:

Kefnet is horrible in this deck against Gates-Nexus and Esper. Post-board with Esper, that matchup was just hilarious because their threats are all laughable and you get to just slam planeswalkers, clear the board and then own them.

Yea it's weird how Kefnet turned out to only be good against aggro decks (because they can't answer a 5-toughness blocker). The only good hits against combo are discard spells and the control decks don't care about it coming back because they were already planning on casting a removal spell every few turns.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

moush posted:

Sweet modern brew around the new Narset by Conley Woods. He went 5-0 in his very first friendly league and Caleb went 4-1 last night in a comp league with it.

https://twitter.com/Conley81/status/1124496640826437633

This deck looks like trash but 9-1 over two events is nothing to sneeze at.

Lmfao this ought to be illegal.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

lol todd grabbed 2 fast losses and dropped and also hes bad. he seems like bad evidence that the deck is good

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Time posted:

lol todd grabbed 2 fast losses and dropped and also hes bad. he seems like bad evidence that the deck is good

Seems like you'd want to play actual threats or something. Deck seems like it falls over to any interaction.

"oh gently caress I forgot counters exist. poo poo you can make people discard cards too? that's cheating!"

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/utdzac/status/1124754938809204736?s=21

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Literally no decks feel good or strong right now. Lilliana might be the only new card that feels good to play. All new cards are basically unplayable until rotation. Decks that we know work: Nexus of fate. Esper control. Sultai Midrange. That's pretty much it I guess.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

So am I missing something or is Fblthp just an Elvish Visionary that tucks himself in this deck?

I mean, it's fine if he is, I just want to make sure I'm not getting whooshed by some interaction.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah basically but he's also a lowdrop that flips on mox amber.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

A Moose posted:

Literally no decks feel good or strong right now. Lilliana might be the only new card that feels good to play. All new cards are basically unplayable until rotation. Decks that we know work: Nexus of fate. Esper control. Sultai Midrange. That's pretty much it I guess.

WTF are you talking about, there's a ton of extremely playable cards in this set. Teferi, Tamiyo, Ugin, Liliana, Domri, Ajani, Chandra, Dreadhorde Arcanist, Krenko, Feather, and that's just the stuff that's found shells, not the objectively powerful stuff like Nissa and Sarkhan. Oh I forgot Sorin, Oath of Kaya, Enter the Gods Eternal, and then the good uncommon stuff like Augur of Bolas, Prison Realm, Paradise Druid, Saheeli, Despark, Tyran'ts Scorn.

I'm leaving out cards but this set is absolutely loaded with powerful constructed playables, I think people are having trouble making decks because of the sheer number of options.

How much impact do you think a single set can possibly have on a format?

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 4, 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like I'm never going to draft a better deck than this in this format:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A Moose posted:

That Saheeli deck that Daniela posted is pretty decent but people have adapted to it already and seems like there's not much more it can be tuned. Might be better off just adding Mizzium Tank and Finale of Promise to the regular izzet drakes list.

Azorius aggro with Gideon and Mono red seem to be holding their own as far as aggro goes, plus various gruul or Naya decks, but it definitely feels like the midrange and control decks got a bigger bump in power from WAR and I don't foresee them getting displaced unless m20 has some surprisingly good stuff.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 4, 2019

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

That Saheeli deck that Daniela posted is pretty decent but people have adapted to it already and seems like there's not much more it can be tuned.

Azorius aggro with Gideon and Mono red seem to be holding their own as far as aggro goes, plus various gruul or Naya decks, but it definitely feels like the midrange and control decks got a bigger bump in power from WAR and I don't foresee them getting displaced unless m20 has some surprisingly good stuff.

I'm not expecting it, but it only takes one small reprint to throw a format into chaos. Bolt, Mana Leak, Path, Birds of Paradise, or hell even a much weaker card like Read the Bones could drastically change the format, and they put some spicy rares and mythics in last time that had a big impact.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A Moose posted:

This is satire, right?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is satire, right?

Oh yeah I forgot gruul

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy

anglachel posted:

He hasn't been banned yet?

Did I miss something? Why would he be?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hellsau posted:

I've been pretty even against Esper post board and the Nexus matchup does suck. Whether people start sleeving it up en masse after this weekend basically determines how good a lot of early brews shake out. It does just poo poo on any creature based decks so that's a thing.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

deathbagel posted:

The good news is, the bots being bad makes it super easy to do this.

Yup.

Though give some credit to people not knowing how to value cards at all. So many times my opponent has blown his terrible counterspells (the 4 mana one is not good, people) on inconsequential early poo poo, only to have nothing left when I drop my 5, 6, 7 mana bombs. This set is a little twisty compared to some previous, very linear sets, and you need to think more long-term because it's a lot slower.

This deck was pretty insane, though. Citadel was almost unbeatable if I got to play it on curve and still have 15+ life (with this deck I was easily at 23+).

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Riversideblues posted:

Did I miss something? Why would he be?

He's been caught on camera multiple times cheating. Also sexual harassment. All the normal scumbag patterns

anglachel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 4, 2019

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

rkajdi posted:

So apparently the trick to winning a draft is to play BW, have nobody else bother with the color, and then hoover up everything that gets passed to you. I ended up with Bolas' Citadel, God-Pharaoh's Statue, Massacre Girl, Dreadhorde Invasion, Finale of Eternity, Parhelion II and Oath of Kaya. Only Massacre Girl was in a pack I started with It was bad enough that I cracked a pack and took the foil Ajani on the third pack as a rare draft, and somehow had Despark show back up when it came back around. Won the event going away (was outplayed every game b/c I am bad, but being able to two or three for one when it mattered and continually pull of the deck with citadel won out) and got ugly looks about how my deck had everything. Of course it did, nobody else was bothering to play black at all. I do not get people sometimes.

Is God-Pharaoh's Statue any good? I've passed it a few times since it seems kinda do-nothing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

LeafHouse posted:

Is God-Pharaoh's Statue any good? I've passed it a few times since it seems kinda do-nothing.

It's a blank unless you draft Karn, in which case it's a decent 6/6 from outside of the game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

It's a blank unless you draft Karn, in which case it's a decent 6/6 from outside of the game.

I got demolished by one because they sided it in against my Parhelion lol

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Hellsau posted:

Hey guys, God-Eternal Kefnet sucks. I've had it played against me a bunch of times by a bunch of different decks, and it's just not good. Yeah cool, when I cast a removal spell on your Kefnet you get to Opt and recast it next turn, but that was still a 1 for 1, and a 4/5 ain't gonna kill me fast enough for it to matter when you're blowing your turns recasting a french vanilla critter.

Maybe Kefnet would be good in an aggro deck as just a recurring 4/5 beater, but then you're unlikely to get value from the trigger.

It's this. They're going for obvious cash grabs, except they could make an immense amount of money immediately by blowing their reprint equity nonsense and giving people the cards they want, like reprinting fetches or hell doing Core Set 2020 Mythic Edition with all fancy 10 fetchlands or whatever, but they don't, so apparently they're holding off on reprints to pump up secondary market values for....some reason, presumbly long-term reasons? It's just bizarre and also WotC makes lots of mistakes so just assume they're making a dumb choice.

The reprints they’ve already done have wrecked the secondary market and forced them into this situation lmao arena better save their rear end long term cause every other number is declining

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

The reprints they’ve already done have wrecked the secondary market and forced them into this situation lmao arena better save their rear end long term cause every other number is declining

every number is declining other than "people playing modern" and "amount of money wotc received" and "number of hasbro executives strangling wotc to make their divisions profitable."

also filterlands shouldn't have been worth anything to begin with and their price wouldn't have crashed so hard if the set they were reprinted had more cards people wanted in it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I got very tired playing against Simic Nexus with Tamiyo yesterday. Makes me want to play unmoored ego just to screw it over.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Hellsau posted:

every number is declining other than "people playing modern" and "amount of money wotc received" and "number of hasbro executives strangling wotc to make their divisions profitable."

also filterlands shouldn't have been worth anything to begin with and their price wouldn't have crashed so hard if the set they were reprinted had more cards people wanted in it

maro standing in front of a huge stock ticker screen while a big red arrow labeled CHASE RARES goes down and a big blue one labeled DRAFT CHAFF goes up

and then the words NEW WORLD ORDER flash on the screen and a giant klaxon blares

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aw, Kefnet Midrange finished 7-1. Those Bant Midrange decks look pretty sweet though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

born on a buy you posted:

Wrecked the secondary market how exactly? Is this some bitching from pre mm1 days because :laffo: . Cards on average to close or exceeding all time highs.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 5, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it is offensive to me that people would pay $69, one of the coolest amounts of cash possible, for a chalice. not only is it a piece of cardboard but it is a piece of cardboard designed to make games miserable and grindy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it is offensive to me that people would pay $69, one of the coolest amounts of cash possible, for a chalice. not only is it a piece of cardboard but it is a piece of cardboard designed to make games miserable and grindy.

Its also a card that has been reprinted 3 times, 2 at rare, and is expensive.

If you look at this chart and think the secondary market has an issue with prices being too low I am going to laugh in your face.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sickening posted:

If you look at this chart and think the secondary market has an issue with prices being too low I am going to laugh in your face.

There's an obvious problem with the secondary market and it's the fact that cards I have lots of don't go up in price whereas the cards I want do. Clearly WotC needs to fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cynic Jester posted:

There's an obvious problem with the secondary market and it's the fact that cards I have lots of don't go up in price whereas the cards I want do. Clearly WotC needs to fix this.

The trick I've found is that if you sell your cards, they will go up and if you buy the other cards, they will go down hth