Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
imagine organized 32 man teams fighting each other. Like a shield wall with spearmen behind it. flanking Calvary and archer line. There is potential for some interesting stuff in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jst0rm posted:

imagine organized 32 man teams fighting each other. Like a shield wall with spearmen behind it. flanking Calvary and archer line. There is potential for some interesting stuff in this.

My experience with every super organized video game experience ever tells me that this would rapidly bog down in hyper-nerdery and lovely 4chan humor and not be fun at all unfortunately.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there are some revolutionary war style games that have pretty fun line battles

I think it was SeanBeanShako or whatever ran some fun stuff like that

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah doing it with goons is fine, everyone else gets up in arms about realism and playing by the rules and blech.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Playing Planetside 2 alongside hordes of goons was some of the most fun I've ever had with a computer game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i got mad and quit planetside because it looked like dozens of hours of grinding before i could get the disco cannon

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Yeah doing it with goons is fine, everyone else gets up in arms about realism and playing by the rules and blech.

Goons should just do it. Although it would probably be a bunch of sweaty shirtless men with daggers rushing individuals in a strangely organized way.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So many Pepe avatars. Glad I can disable the n-word spam box at least.

Having an okay time with a 3-2-1 armour setup with the longsword and throwing axes. Lost too many points to idiots rushing into my fire bombs.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

eonwe posted:

there are some revolutionary war style games that have pretty fun line battles

I think it was SeanBeanShako or whatever ran some fun stuff like that

yea but those weren't really organized, it was just blocks of clans running around

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
32 man team

10 man shield wall
7 man spear
4 per flank of some kind of kill teams or 3 man teams with 2 engineers
5 archers
2 suicide Calvary

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

whole team immediately dies to a catapult

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

whole team immediately dies to a catapult

true.
must capture them all.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
YAAAAAA!!!!!!

This game looks ridiculous. And stupid fun with friends.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I made a well-armored dude with a billhook and dodge. Turns out dodge is pretty good with long-reaching weapons. You can actually backstep while in the middle of your attack animation to dodge an enemy's sword swing and still hit him at the end.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having extremely little medieval fighting game experience, this game is still extremely fun. Just spent the last four hours clicking heads with the 1 handed spear and shield and what a fun combo. I suck when it comes to 1v1, but in a 64 person frontline, just flanking constantly is such a great time. Foppish voice represent as well.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have found my true love and her name is War Axe

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm getting more into cosmetic customization now that I've bought all the weapons and I'm pretty sad there's no codpieces.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I remember like 5 (maybe more) years ago I played Chivalry and loved it. It was such a dumb fun game. But the MOST IMPORTANT part of Chivalry was that every class had ridiculous battle cries and taunts. Every match was a cacophony of rapturous screaming and archaic insults flung in thick English accents.

What I'm asking is, does this game have that same kind of feeling that Chivalry had? With the shouting and stabbing and general chaos?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Internet Kraken posted:

I remember like 5 (maybe more) years ago I played Chivalry and loved it. It was such a dumb fun game. But the MOST IMPORTANT part of Chivalry was that every class had ridiculous battle cries and taunts. Every match was a cacophony of rapturous screaming and archaic insults flung in thick English accents.

What I'm asking is, does this game have that same kind of feeling that Chivalry had? With the shouting and stabbing and general chaos?

There is a dedicated war cry button.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Internet Kraken posted:

The warcries and such are maaaaaaaybe a smidge less awesome than in Chivalry, but yeah it's utter loving mayhem, and it's glorious.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Stokes posted:

There is a dedicated war cry button.

Not only that, but there is a whole bunch of other voiced lines you can make your character do, 9 different voicesets, and you can alter their pitch too. It makes Chivalry look amateur in that department (and also every other department).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Internet Kraken posted:

yes, it is a worthy successor to chiv in every way!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Babe Magnet posted:

whole team immediately dies to their own catapult

Last night someone got a septuple tk with the catapult, chat was half baying for bans and laughter, then they tk'd me and ended my stolen horse rampage. :argh:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Internet Kraken posted:

"ART THOU MAD, BROTHER?!" and the foppish "HAVE AT EM, BOYS!!" are my favorites.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Orv posted:

My experience with every super organized video game experience ever tells me that this would rapidly bog down in hyper-nerdery and lovely 4chan humor and not be fun at all unfortunately.

I don't know. We had some pretty fun times doing this with mount and blade & it's Napoleonic mod.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I've been looking for the Mordhau thread since release day, and could not find it! :confused:

Glad that is sorted out now, anyways. Also let me make something super clear: oh God I suck immensely and my K:D ratio is like 1:5 when I'm lucky. Help me.

So, where do we go to play with goons and hopefully not get our ambitions of actually playing the game as intended (having impromptu lute-playing jam sessions, kicking each other in the groin, throwing frying pans around like you're medieval Gordon Ramsey, using the throat cut emote + battlecry repeatedly and exclusively while naked and wielding a shovel) wrecked by lame and boring pubbies? I haven't played multiplayer games in, uh, 5-6 years so I have no idea how this newfangled "discord" stuff works, I see there is a "team" feature where you can add your Steam friends? Anybody started a timezone-based Google document list yet?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 5, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
For crowded chaotic maps nothing beats heavy armor, heater shield, and axe. With a few competent bros you can really steamroll the little mobs that roll around together. The overhand strike is really good and although it's easy to miss entirely if you aren't careful, it's quite difficult to hit your teammates.

The axe is also good for chucking at a fleeing enemy.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have four tips:

1. Bind directional attacks to your mouse buttons(if your mouse has a lot) or keyboard. Yes, the mouse is easier but also less consistent and slower. Speed is very important and positioning the mouse will be a little bit slower. I have them overhead slashes and stab on my mouse and everything else on keyboard keys near WASD, though if your mouse has a lot.of buttons that would be better for sure.

2. Depending on the weapons you like, bind stab to left mouse click, not strike. For most weapons stab is the fastest attack and thus useful to take advantage of quick gaps in the foe or opportunities you will want to stab versus another attack. Moving the mouse wheel is also slower than clicking.

3. Switch to third person. It is harder to aim stabs but not too hard and INCREDIBLY easier to parry, block and see enemy attacks. It felt awkward at first but after about half an hour I felt like Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix, stepping out of the way of attacks and cutting limbs off. It can be hard to see some hits when in close but in third person they are all very obvious. I am pretty sure those insane assholes who can parry four people at once all do this. I at least find it also a lot easier to quickly decide which direction I should make my own attacks in.

4. If like me you suck at parrying go to a "duels" death match server. Death match means quick respawns so low down time and you can keep practicing instead of running back into a frantic melee and dying. Look for a server with the word "duel" in the title. Because you will go 1v1 you will get plenty of practice parrying. An hour or two will help a lot. It was not tedious, I found it fun, also a great way to practice new weapons.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 5, 2019

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
You are the worst person and I hate you.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Why?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Diogines posted:

I have four tips:

1. Bind directional attacks to your mouse buttons(if your mouse has a lot) or keyboard. Yes, the mouse is easier but also less consistent and slower. Speed is very important and positioning the mouse will be a little bit slower.

2. Depending on the weapons you like, bind stab to left mouse click, not strike. For most weapons stab is the fastest attack and thus useful to take advantage of quick gaps in the for or opportunities you will want to stab versus another attack. Moving the mouse wheel is also slower than clicking.

3. Switch to third person. It is harder to aim stabs but not too hard and INCREDIBLY easier to parry, block and see enemy attacks. It felt awkward at first but after about half an hour I felt like Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix, stepping out of the way of attacks and cutting limbs off. It can be hard to see some hits when in close but in third person they are all very obvious. I am pretty sure those insane assholes who can parry four people at once all do this.

4. If like me you suck at parrying go to a "duels" death match server. Death match means quick respawns so low down time and you can keep practicing instead of running back into a frwngict melee wnd dying. Look for a server with the word "duel" in the title. Because you will go 1v1 you will get plenty of practice parrying. An hour or two will help a lot.

Thanks!

1. I already did, I have it configured as such: mousewheel forward is stab, mousewheel back is overhead, side button 1 is horizontal, side button 2 is underhand. ALT changes the direction (default everything is right), I'm not sure if I should keep that also mouse x axis does (currently trying this out, and I still jerk my view around too much for this to consistently work, but I'm getting better). This way I can use the 240 system naturally with the left mouse button, and then if I really need to do a particular strike, I will have it on the mouse.

2. you monster. That sounds so wrong.

3. I'll have to try it, I only spent 5 minutes in 3rd person, got dizzy and confused so went back to 1st person :v:

4. parrying is not a big issue, sometimes I'll get the timing wrong of course but it's mostly fine. Actually in a few occasions people have been clearly frustrated by me parrying all they threw at me (until I fail footwork and they can get around me, I finish stamina and get disarmed, or another enemy sneaks on my back. I definitely lack situational awareness and positioning, and quick enough reflexes to consistently riposte/counterattack let alone chamber, it mostly happens by sheer chance :v: ). What really irks me are facehuggers with relatively fast weapons (1handers usually), I have no idea how to interrupt them, everytime I try to kick or stab them they score a hit, I flinch and I'm basically dead :smith:

my favorite weapons til now: longsword for murdering peasants (knight preset), mace + shield when I see a lot of heavy armored people (protector preset), and a custom billhook + arming sword + shield 2/3/1 when I'm not sure because it can mostly do everything, good mix of speed, reach, damage and defense. Evaluating if

game has crashed 3 times in 15 minutes, maybe I have to dial down my GPU overclock; this is a nice looking game but can be pretty taxing when everything is at ultra 1440p (CPU 2600x + GPU 1080, I get around 75-80 FPS on my 60Hz monitor)

also, I wish this had "newbie" servers like Chivalry, getting to fight against people that have practised for 2 years and/or are already level 18+ is ... frustrating

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 5, 2019

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game loving owns.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

TorakFade posted:

Thanks!

1. I already did, I have it configured as such: mousewheel forward is stab, mousewheel back is overhead, side button 1 is horizontal, side button 2 is underhand. ALT changes the direction (default everything is right), I'm not sure if I should keep that also mouse x axis does (currently trying this out, and I still jerk my view around too much for this to consistently work, but I'm getting better). This way I can use the 240 system naturally with the left mouse button, and then if I really need to do a particular strike, I will have it on the mouse.

2. you monster. That sounds so wrong.

3. I'll have to try it, I only spent 5 minutes in 3rd person, got dizzy and confused so went back to 1st person :v:

4. parrying is not a big issue, sometimes I'll get the timing wrong of course but it's mostly fine. Actually in a few occasions people have been clearly frustrated by me parrying all they threw at me (until I fail footwork and they can get around me, I finish stamina and get disarmed, or another enemy sneaks on my back. I definitely lack situational awareness and positioning, and quick enough reflexes to consistently riposte/counterattack let alone chamber, it mostly happens by sheer chance :v: ). What really irks me are facehuggers with relatively fast weapons (1handers usually), I have no idea how to interrupt them, everytime I try to kick or stab them they score a hit, I flinch and I'm basically dead :smith:

my favorite weapons til now: longsword for murdering peasants (knight preset), mace + shield when I see a lot of heavy armored people (protector preset), and a custom billhook + arming sword + shield 2/3/1 when I'm not sure because it can mostly do everything, good mix of speed, reach, damage and defense. Evaluating if

game has crashed 3 times in 15 minutes, maybe I have to dial down my GPU overclock; this is a nice looking game but can be pretty taxing when everything is at ultra 1440p (CPU 2600x + GPU 1080, I get around 75-80 FPS on my 60Hz monitor)

also, I wish this had "newbie" servers like Chivalry, getting to fight against people that have practised for 2 years and/or are already level 18+ is ... frustrating

If your having any performance or crashing problems (even if the game appears to run great in most scenarios) try turning off cloth physics. Many people are reporting that helps.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Crossposting:

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm not feeling Mordhau at all, and I was excited for it after so much Vermintide 2. Is there something I'm missing because, well, there's an odd disconnect between the weapon swinging feeling so sluggish and the impacts hitting loving hard, but mainly I'm having a hell of a time gauging the range of things and getting tagged by attacks when my own swings are getting nothing but air.

Is it an FOV thing for the range? I got about 7 minutes of playtime left to decide whether I want to stick with this game or not.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Edit: ^ About the FOV range thing, one other thing to keep in mind is that you get a short move speed bump if you swing while sprinting, which can give certain weapons a deceptively long range.

TorakFade posted:

my favorite weapons til now: longsword for murdering peasants (knight preset), mace + shield when I see a lot of heavy armored people (protector preset)
The longsword does just fine against heavy armor for some reason (three torso cuts for a kill, two with headshots), so if you like how it feels you can just stick with it. Honestly I feel like the knight preset is pretty much perfect; the dagger might seem like a wasted point but its stabs hit pretty hard and fast, making it a decent rapier counter.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 5, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Exodee posted:

The longsword does just fine against heavy armor for some reason (three torso cuts for a kill, two with headshots), so if you like how it feels you can just stick with it. Honestly I feel like the knight preset is pretty much perfect; the dagger might seem like a wasted point but its stabs hit pretty hard and fast, making it a decent rapier counter.

The one problem of swords is that in the huge melee clusterfuck that every Frontline server is, you're going to kill your teammates as much as the enemies. With maces that doesn't happen since it stops on the first thing you hit. Plus they make heads explode so there's that :colbert:

Having a poo poo ton of fun anyways. K:D on the last game was 9:21 and 7 assists so I'm getting better :v: :black101:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I want to get into this but I'm... almost afraid to hop online after trying to get through the tutorial.

Just how important is all of the stuff in the tutorial to have fun with the game?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The tutorial is all the game. You couldn't get through it? It's 15 minutes long, line it says.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Deakul posted:

So, I want to get into this but I'm... almost afraid to hop online after trying to get through the tutorial.

Just how important is all of the stuff in the tutorial to have fun with the game?

well i mean if you want to be good obviously you need to do that stuff

you can just go 3x heavy and just wildly swing around a huge sword or club and still have a good time though. Morphing attacks is a very easy way to land hits on people to seem to parry everything and all you have to do it click normal attack then click stab attack before your wind up is complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

TorakFade posted:

The one problem of swords is that in the huge melee clusterfuck that every Frontline server is, you're going to kill your teammates as much as the enemies. With maces that doesn't happen since it stops on the first thing you hit. Plus they make heads explode so there's that :colbert:

Having a poo poo ton of fun anyways. K:D on the last game was 9:21 and 7 assists so I'm getting better :v: :black101:
That's what the dagger is for. ;) Alternatively just stick with sword stabs if you're not sure.

But yea the mace is pretty decent as well, since it two-shots everything I believe. I'd say its pretty hard to use though, since it's both slow and short ranged, but if it works for you then by all means