Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Make sure it’s Manama Bahrain and not Sheik Isa Air Base Bahrain. The latter will get you 3.50 a day in per diem and a truly lovely permanent expeditionary airfield experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wonder Free posted:

Make sure it’s Manama Bahrain and not Sheik Isa Air Base Bahrain. The latter will get you 3.50 a day in per diem and a truly lovely permanent expeditionary airfield experience.

THANK YOU. Isa was 100% connected to the Bahrain offer.

If that's the case then Qatar goes up the list?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gitmo is not a bad gig, honestly. Qatar can be nice, too.

Gitmo is what I’d take. Good chow and lodging. The prison is falling apart but you likely will have nothing to do with that given your rate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Gitmo is not a bad gig, honestly. Qatar can be nice, too.

Gitmo is what I’d take. Good chow and lodging. The prison is falling apart but you likely will have nothing to do with that given your rate.

This is a really serious question and may sway me.

Is the fishing any good?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

So....

Iraq (lol)
Bahrain
Gtmo
Qatar
DjiBouti

Iraq: Gulf War 3.0 so no balls if you don't go there or ForeverWar
Bahrain: Already covered
GTMO: Only hear one person not enjoy a mob there, he was weird
Qatar: If you're working for ECRC prepare to cycle through Fwd commands (Afghanistan). If not, the CAOC which wouldn't be terrible
Djibouti: Seems alright from everyone I've heard

Anyway, your mileage varies, depends on command, etc etc

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Qatar is pretty much the same WRT per diem, but it’s basically Air Force Disney Land there so the amenities are nicer. We did a split site deployment to both - Isa had less rules but Qatar had better internet/galleys/lodging. Also an indoor and an outdoor pool and two gyms. And Dairy Queen and stuff. It’s kind of a pain to get out into town and you can’t drink or do overnights either in Doha.

Isa is a bunch of tents and trailers 45 minutes from Manama. There’s usually a bunch of VP guys there, as well as a bunch of army and marine turds getting in fights and taking up room in the gym. Also there is a prison on the other side of the fence. The Bahrainis make them do PT and prayers really early so you will hear a bunch of weird yelling and every call to prayer 5 times a day. Also feral cats will fight under your trailer at odd hours of the night. You can at least get off base fairly easily and blow your entire deployment of per diem drinking in Manama.

I wouldn’t volunteer for either personally, but if you don’t mind not getting out in town or weird Air Force stuff then I guess the Deid is probably better.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

This is a really serious question and may sway me.

Is the fishing any good?

Never had a chance to find out, my longest stay there was 3 weeks and they were 7 day work weeks. You don’t have to worry about that being the case for you, you’ll have plenty of time to maximize use of the mwr facilities.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I’d hazard a guess that it is far better for fishing than the other spots you mentioned at least.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
Go to Gitmo and get me a IT DON’T GTMO BETTER THAN THIS shirt because I lost mine

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wonder Free posted:

Isa is absolutely dogshit. Do not go there. When I got there we were working out unrefrigerated conex boxes and a loving canvas tent for the networking shop.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

PneumonicBook posted:

Are you just mobing for funsies? Out of those bahrainis alright because the base is large, but I've also almost been murdered out there so....

Do we get the story behind this or...?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
What's the job in DJ and what's the job in Gitmo?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
The Died is nice, if you're there for 12 months you'll probably be entitled to the permanent Air Force quality barracks housing, which is excellent. The food is perfectly passable, the amenities are nice, and you're allowed 3 drinks a night if that's your bag. I was only there for a month in the cruddy transient housing and I thought it was a paradise for a forward-deployed location. My impression was that the CAOC is a fairy tale land of Not Totally Stupid too, with people constantly filtering in and out so no one particularly toxic can ever truly screw the place up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

The Died is nice, if you're there for 12 months you'll probably be entitled to the permanent Air Force quality barracks housing, which is excellent. The food is perfectly passable, the amenities are nice, and you're allowed 3 drinks a night if that's your bag. I was only there for a month in the cruddy transient housing and I thought it was a paradise for a forward-deployed location. My impression was that the CAOC is a fairy tale land of Not Totally Stupid too, with people constantly filtering in and out so no one particularly toxic can ever truly screw the place up.

Eh so The Died in in Qatar?

ManMythLegend posted:

What's the job in DJ and what's the job in Gitmo?

IWC support. Could mean anything from forward deployment to creating and resetting accounts.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm mob'd to DJ right now and it's absolutely cake.
Tax free/hardship duty pay and yet outside the galley the other day there were girl scouts from Embassy families selling cookies.
You get two drinks a day.
Regular working hours.
The weather sucks but it does everywhere you get tax free.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Go to gitmo and tell us what it's like to evac an airliner in the Jax river.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We are starting Sailor 360, aka CPO 365 for the rest of us. Telling the E3s to eat up more of their liberty time between watches, room inspections and PQS stuff to create PT plans and develop a training power point on leadership should have interesting results

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

We are starting Sailor 360, aka CPO 365 for the rest of us. Telling the E3s to eat up more of their liberty time between watches, room inspections and PQS stuff to create PT plans and develop a training power point on leadership should have interesting results

LMAO so wait cpo 365, that poo poo that people actively hated and tried to find any way out of has now expanded to the lower ranks too? Ahahaahahahaahahahaaahahahahaahahahaahaha

Rip if you're still in

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yes. The enthusiasm level is about what you would expect

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

Yes. The enthusiasm level is about what you would expect

I mean I just dont go, but...reserves.

simplefish posted:

Do we get the story behind this or...?

So in 12/13 we pulled into Bahrain and the CO told us it was a show of support for the current administration and it was voting season. Me and a couple of guys went to the gold souk and hung out for a bit. When we left the streets were compeltely empty of cars, which sucked because we were planning on getting a taxi back to base. We walked around a little bit and when we hit the main drag we ran into A LOT of protesters who were very angry at Americans for all kinds of reasons. The crowds were getting bigger so we were pretty freaked out, luckily we ran into a huge group of carrier Sailors, so we all sat in a parking lot while more protesters gathered and were yelling and throwing poo poo at us. I called my wife and she was freaking out because she could hardly hear me and I was explaining the situation. Eventually the carrier group was able to get a couple of buses to come pick us up and got us on to base. I guess reading this back this is fairly anticlimactic but being in a foreign country with angry protesters wasn't what I would call a fun time. We heard from some of the guys staying in town that the protesters were trying to get into their hotel rooms and poo poo too. Good times all around.

We hit Bahrain again a couple of months later and just hit the Sailor center and got into hijinks with UK Sailors but otherwise didn;t ahve any problem with the locals.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LingcodKilla posted:

IWC support. Could mean anything from forward deployment to creating and resetting accounts.

I don't know man. Honestly, I think DJ is your best bet.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

vulturesrow posted:

A bunch of y'all need to chill the gently caress out. There is literally no way someone with 0 fleet experience straight out of the training command can be expected to know that they needed to apply for a gov passport to join their squadron on deployment unless someone loving tells them and the person that was supposed to absolutely did drop the ball. And Jimmy did exactly what he should have done once he found it about it. He didn't blame admin or any of his enlisted people. Seriously, get over yourselves.

Chill out? Are you even a shellback?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Lmao

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

When I was active, and enlisted, I just got my own non-govt passport; I didn’t want to have something that said “hey I’m traveling in an official capacity”
Also, how the gently caress do you become an officer and then go all the way through flight school without ever having a passport? I mean it’s not necessary to do either but whatever.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dingleberry posted:

When I was active, and enlisted, I just got my own non-govt passport; I didn’t want to have something that said “hey I’m traveling in an official capacity”
Also, how the gently caress do you become an officer and then go all the way through flight school without ever having a passport? I mean it’s not necessary to do either but whatever.

To clarify, I already have a non-govt passport, that'll be good for the times I need. My command wants me to get an official (no-fee) government passport on top of that. Also, one other thing is my new squadron is already deployed so any back and forth communication has a bit of a delay.

Part of the reason I delayed was while I tried to get stuff figured out, I was asking the training officers at my old command how to proceed since they'd already had a couple of deployments and overseas travel under their belts. All the training O's said that I wouldn't need the gov passport since I had my normal one and since the official word was slow coming out of my new squadron and I was in the middle of moving I tackled that first. Once I actually got to Whidbey and still hadn't gotten a clear answer that's when I emailed the YN1 and got more information.

I understand again that this is on me to get my own stuff figured out and get things resolved. I also have about another month before I go out to meet the squadron so I still have time. Hindsight being what it is, I should have reached out to admin sooner to get that information first hand, I was trying to avoid being an annoying new officer who jumped into random peoples email asking for stuff while the squadron was busy getting settled into the deployment.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If there’s one thing the military has taught me is to be aggressive as gently caress and always be willing to stick your nose in the progress of your and your guys who need stuff handled with admin since military admin is nothing else if not incompetent or lazy. Its hard with my instincts since I like to trust people and be hands off but with admin you just can’t. Anyway, lesson learned.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

To clarify, I already have a non-govt passport, that'll be good for the times I need. My command wants me to get an official (no-fee) government passport on top of that. Also, one other thing is my new squadron is already deployed so any back and forth communication has a bit of a delay.

Oh; I wonder why they’d want you to have a govt too?
Seems redundant.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

Has the Navy explicitly told you not to strip naked, light your pubes on fire, and run through the wardroom while screaming "THERE'S A SKELETON INSIDE ME!!!!!" or is it more implied?

You dumb gently caress.

This is how shellback ceremonies etc at sea are conceived of btw. Can’t discourage this behavior in a meaningful way.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I thought the :colbert: made it clear I was joking but oh well. loving goons, lol.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Part of the reason I delayed was while I tried to get stuff figured out, I was asking the training officers at my old command how to proceed since they'd already had a couple of deployments and overseas travel under their belts. All the training O's said that I wouldn't need the gov passport since I had my normal one and since the official word was slow coming out of my new squadron and I was in the middle of moving I tackled that first. Once I actually got to Whidbey and still hadn't gotten a clear answer that's when I emailed the YN1 and got more information.

I understand again that this is on me to get my own stuff figured out and get things resolved. I also have about another month before I go out to meet the squadron so I still have time. Hindsight being what it is, I should have reached out to admin sooner to get that information first hand, I was trying to avoid being an annoying new officer who jumped into random peoples email asking for stuff while the squadron was busy getting settled into the deployment.

Just use your personal passport with a copy of your orders to get wherever you are going. I had to do the same thing and the no fee wouldn't show up in time. The only difference between the two is you are supposed to take your no fee passport to PSD or legal and have them put a stamp on the front page that says you are on official government orders. Years back they used to make the no fee ones a different color but now they look exactly like your regular one.

If you have the time to get the free one, it certainly won't hurt you but there is zero reason to stress either way. It's a much bigger deal for those who dont have a personal passport.

I went around the world several times and never once used my no fee passport.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Are they the same color now? A long time ago I used my gov passport to skip a three hour line in India and try and then successfully go through the zero person diplomatic line because I had a gov passport and I actually doubt the guy even cared. So they are blue now instead of burgundy?

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Still burgundy as far as I know. Diplomatic passports are black I think. I don’t know if other counties recognize both to jump lines though. It would have been useful in Japan.

Sometimes you have to send the red one off to an embassy for whatever country you are going to for a Visa stamp, so it is useful for those. I had to do that for Chile and Colombia.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Passed prt good low crew checking in!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good I’m so fat and out of shape.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hmm.
On an interesting note, the tooth a LT dentist put new filling in is now cracked and causing me incredible pain. This is the second time they've done that.

Another thing to get fixed.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

King of Bees posted:

Hmm.
On an interesting note, the tooth a LT dentist put new filling in is now cracked and causing me incredible pain. This is the second time they've done that.

I ended up in the emergency room after going to Navy dental years ago after the dentist REALLY hosed up fixing a botched filling from 6 months earlier...
I had a black eye, bruises on my neck, and air bubbles under my skin I could move around with my fingers. Yup.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wonder Free posted:

Still burgundy as far as I know. Diplomatic passports are black I think. I don’t know if other counties recognize both to jump lines though. It would have been useful in Japan.

Sometimes you have to send the red one off to an embassy for whatever country you are going to for a Visa stamp, so it is useful for those. I had to do that for Chile and Colombia.

See I thought they were burgundy too but I have two blue passports with one stamped official us business or something to that effect. I guess they screwed ours up somehow or something then because there was no difference other than that stamp in the front.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

King of Bees posted:

Hmm.

are you gonna move to Diego Garcia when you retire?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Kawasaki Nun posted:

are you gonna move to Diego Garcia when you retire?

Ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Dingleberry posted:

I ended up in the emergency room after going to Navy dental years ago after the dentist REALLY hosed up fixing a botched filling from 6 months earlier...
I had a black eye, bruises on my neck, and air bubbles under my skin I could move around with my fingers. Yup.

gently caress that sounds awful. My dental has been mostly good except for when I went when we were in Guam. I still had a baby tooth on my lower right jaw (no adult tooth to replace it) and I'd had issues with it before. It started to have problems again while we were in port so I went.

Thank god they took x-rays before the dentist came in checked the tooth for maybe two seconds and said it was fine. Why do I say thank god they took x-rays? Because I saw them briefly and knew which tooth to look at because my old civvie dentist and orthodontist always pointed out that tooth.

When the dentist said it was fine, I told him, "That's funny, because it didn't look like the tooth had a root anymore on the x-ray." He shook his head, as he clearly thought I was bullshitting him and didn't know anything, said to give him a moment, and he left the room.

He was gone for a solid five minutes before coming back and saying, "So...there's no root under that tooth anymore, and you're a class 3 dental."

Thankfully it mostly resolved itself because I wasn't able to get it pulled for a few more weeks when we pulled into Sasebo.

What I'm trying to say it, gently caress Navy dental.