Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm sure that most skills/runes/passives are pretty useless, but I think the best thing for me to understand WHY they are useless is to see them for myself. Some don't take any time at all to learn why. (For example, the "Orbit" rune for Arcane Orb which requires you to shove your face into enemies. Why?)

Sometimes I see some fun combinations, like Time Stop (with the increased damage rune) combined with Disintegrate + Entropy to melt everything within arms reach. Or Teleport + the Rune that turns Ray of Frost into a localized storm that melts everything around you. It's fun to play around with those even if they won't turn out to be any good later. (Probably not.)

I'm only level 40 with my female Wizard at the waypoint just after the forgotten cistern or something? The one where you're looking for the oasis.

Bust Rodd posted:

If you haven’t figured this out yet, a setting in options called “Ellective Mode” lets you remap your skills with virtually no restrictions on your hotbar and is required for anything approaching high level play.

Yep, I turned that on. I should probably make better use of it, but I am using it at least somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People like to direct newbs to Icy Veins but I seriously hate all their builds and resources and have been using Team BRC for their class and leveling guide for over a year and love it. Icy Veins feels dated even after an update, the Team BRC Guide seem rewritten every season and you can see some of the admins streaming like GR130 clears sometimes so they know what’s up.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm sure that most skills/runes/passives are pretty useless, but I think the best thing for me to understand WHY they are useless is to see them for myself. Some don't take any time at all to learn why. (For example, the "Orbit" rune for Arcane Orb which requires you to shove your face into enemies. Why?)

Arcane Orbit was actually the top rune to use for DMO before they buffed Frozen Orb. It was very much a get in there and face tank build. Some of the sets really change how you play your character in unique ways.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

People like to direct newbs to Icy Veins but I seriously hate all their builds and resources and have been using Team BRC for their class and leveling guide for over a year and love it. Icy Veins feels dated even after an update, the Team BRC Guide seem rewritten every season and you can see some of the admins streaming like GR130 clears sometimes so they know what’s up.

The only reason I haven't recommended them is because I forget their name and remember Icy-veins and get too lazy to look them up to remember. You are absolutely right though, their leveling and fresh 70 guides are at least as good, if not better.

Also, just for people who don't already know, its Team BRG.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MariusLecter posted:

What's your battletag? I can carry you through some 70s.

Butteslord#something, I'm in lljk. I'll be on around 10-11 Eastern

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Sometimes I see some fun combinations, like Time Stop (with the increased damage rune) combined with Disintegrate + Entropy to melt everything within arms reach. Or Teleport + the Rune that turns Ray of Frost into a localized storm that melts everything around you. It's fun to play around with those even if they won't turn out to be any good later. (Probably not.)
Often at high levels, these skills become useless because they don't have legendary or set bonus support, not really for any other reason. For example, the barbarian's Revenge is a perfectly usable skill at low levels (it's effectively free and does better damage than your primary skills), but your endgame build will have legendaries that boost other skills' damage way above Revenge and enough resource generation that you don't need to have a free button.

Slow Time actually gets used, since there's a whole set built around it, but it's not used in any other build.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I mean, THEORETICALLY, I knew such a thing was possible:

I'd probably do disgusting things to make that a 20% fire roll without using my reroll.

Or, next season, lightning :v:

It may still find use in my StarPact build, once toughness becomes an issue (if we ever end up pushing that high)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Zarin posted:

I mean, THEORETICALLY, I knew such a thing was possible:

I'd probably do disgusting things to make that a 20% fire roll without using my reroll.

Or, next season, lightning :v:

It may still find use in my StarPact build, once toughness becomes an issue (if we ever end up pushing that high)

Wow, you'd be hard pressed to find a better primal. Perfect crit rolls and you can roll a socket on to it.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I thought primal jewelry always came with a socket (unless it has all of its main rolls fixed)?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vomik posted:

I thought primal jewelry always came with a socket (unless it has all of its main rolls fixed)?

. . . woah. That's almost game-changing right there, if true.

I just checked my Museum of lovely Primals, and actually, all my primal jewelry (4 pieces) and primal helms (two pieces) and primal chests (2 pieces) came with max sockets.

Granted, a sample size like that doesn't PROVE anything, but it's certainly interesting . . .

That makes me feel a bit better about my current project, at any rate! (Saving up enough souls to roll a Maras 150 times or however many bounty mats I have when my bounty mats:souls balances out to a 1:1 reroll amount)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
When you identify a Legendary item, at least some of its properties get determined by the class of the one identifying it, correct? I noticed that early on and stopped identifying (for example) axes with my wizard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vomik posted:

Yup. A primal that can have sockets always has maximum number of sockets, unless it's a weapon in which case it will never have a socket (as you can ramalamadingdong it).

wei
Jul 27, 2006

When you identify a Legendary item, at least some of its properties get determined by the class of the one identifying it, correct? I noticed that early on and stopped identifying (for example) axes with my wizard.

Stats are determined when the item drops/is gambled, not when it is identified. Opening bounty caches on another class does work.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup. A primal that can have sockets always has maximum number of sockets, unless it's a weapon in which case it will never have a socket (as you can ramalamadingdong it).

I prefer to say "Indalamar it", personally.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/05/31/wow-archivist-indalamar-the-warrior/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wei posted:

Stats are determined when the item drops/is gambled, not when it is identified. Opening bounty caches on another class does work.

Ah, so any axes my Wizard found are probably DoA already. Good to know then. I don't remember seeing a gambling vendor, but maybe I was not looking properly. EDIT: Oh right, forging stuff is like gambling.

Nevvy Z posted:

There's a marginal chance it's worth rerolling the mainstat.

Since I'm not yet level 60, anything I found is most likely going to be low level junk at this point.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 1, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's a marginal chance it's worth rerolling the mainstat.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
While in Adventure Mode go to New Tristram, right in front of the smith, lady in robes named Kadala.

She is in town for every act, but she is really easy to spit in A1 and is the closest interactable object to the waypoint, so very easy to spot.

She is the gambling vendor for bloodshards.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zarin posted:

Entirely valid and a very good callback.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zarin posted:

I thought we all decided they were called Gamecubes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Incoherence posted:

I thought we all decided they were called Gamecubes.

Oh, I forgot that one!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've reached level 70 with my wizard. I appreciate that the XP is tuned so that on "Hard" difficulty, you get just enough to hit the cap before the end. (I'm in Act 4 at the Siege Outpost.)

I suppose that now is the time to be thinking of high-level builds. Right now I have
Primary: Disintegrate (Intensify)
Secondary: Arcane Orb (Frozen)
Escape: Teleport (Fracture)
Meteor (Comet)
Black Hole (Blazar)
Familiar (Arcanot (+regen))

This does mean I have no power generating skills, but my regen rate is so high that it's only slightly lower than Disintegrate's consumption. It only becomes an issue in really big fights.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There's things like Cindercoat (Fire skill cost 30% less resource) and Hergbrash's Binding (Reduces arcane cost of Arcane torrent, Disintegrate and Ray of Frost) that can help with that.

My Wiz can eternally spam Ray of Frost and Arcane Torrent to proc meteor shower with just the Hergbrash's.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Also, Arcane Power on Crit (Wizard hats, Sources, and Wands) can improve sustain as well. Resource Cost Reduction can also work.

Builder/Spender seesaw is one way to play, but as you've already found, Spender/Regen is also good! (I prefer it myself tbh)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Hold up, are there Wizard hats that look like actual Wizard hats?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Marx Headroom posted:

YEP

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Marx Headroom posted:

I present to you: https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/dark-mages-shade-Unique_WizardHat_001_x1

Actually though, there are white items that cost like 10g to xmog to that look better than that one.

Edit: No idea which xmog this is, but it does't have the giant red band:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 3, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Level 70/P-45 Wizard. I've switched to Adventure mode and have completed all of the first 3 sets of season objectives. All that's left now is completing a Greater Rift level 20 solo, and beating various things at "Torment x" difficulty.

I've done a couple Nephalim Rifts and have a couple Greater Runes to create a greater rift, but what does "level 20" mean in that context?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Level 70/P-45 Wizard. I've switched to Adventure mode and have completed all of the first 3 sets of season objectives. All that's left now is completing a Greater Rift level 20 solo, and beating various things at "Torment x" difficulty.

I've done a couple Nephalim Rifts and have a couple Greater Runes to create a greater rift, but what does "level 20" mean in that context?

When you pick Greater Rift instead of normal rift, you'll see they have 'levels'. They let you know what normal difficulty each GR tier level is equivalent to, up to Torment 13.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

:pcgaming:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

5er posted:

When you pick Greater Rift instead of normal rift, you'll see they have 'levels'. They let you know what normal difficulty each GR tier level is equivalent to, up to Torment 13.

Ah, okay. I did the two season objectives which required up to Torment 2, but it's clear that I don't have the DPS to do well above Master difficulty.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey so I just got a Switch and I’m thinking it’s the shot in the arm me and Diablo needs. How is this port? I’ve basically burned out on PC but I’ve always heard the console releases are good. Is the Switch version the Necromancer pack?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey so I just got a Switch and I’m thinking it’s the shot in the arm me and Diablo needs. How is this port? I’ve basically burned out on PC but I’ve always heard the console releases are good. Is the Switch version the Necromancer pack?

the console versions are amazing and in my personal opinion more fun. they nailed the controls, it actually feels like it was made natively for controllers. they changed the movement and behaviour of a lot of spells to suit it. For example, characters still move a little during melee attacks, wizards can cast certain spells such as twisters while running, that kind of things. A shitload of thought has been put into the console versions.

Give it a go, you'll be very happy with it. the switch version is called the eternal collection and comes with necromancer class as standard :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah, Switch version is good. I play it when the season is long as hell and use it as a backup to PC.

Random thoughts, but I've only started 2 characters (barb and DH)
-The dodge roll is silly and nephalem orbs matter in this version and do double damage.
-Item management isn't too terrible with a controller but not ideal vs PC, IMO.
-You don't have to beat the campaign to unlock adventure mode which is nice.
-Can play seasonal without an online sub, but you can't play with other people.
-Graphics are a bit compromised, but honestly I can rarely tell and it keeps frames really well. Sometimes the middle ball of a molten elite pack that comes up when they die doesn't show up, but the big circle around it still does. It loads slower than PC but not too bad.
-There's a little lag when I enter a GR with my barb and try to cast a couple shouts and skills right away (think IK, WoTB, Ancients, War cry, Sprint, etc) and I can't cast them all at once, have to wait a few seconds.
-You can play on a toilet

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah, Switch version is good. I play it when the season is long as hell and use it as a backup to PC.

Random thoughts, but I've only started 2 characters (barb and DH)
and I can't cast them all at once, have to wait a few seconds.
. . .
-You can play on a toilet

:eyepop:

This username/post combo is :discourse:

For content, I'm mad at video games right now because my special snowflake LoN build seems like it won't be able to clear a GR110 in time, so now I'm going to have to find something meta.

Also I ran out of bounty mats trying to get a CDR Deathwish for the LoN Channelling Archon/Starpact build.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did not get into D3 until I got the switch version. Yes it's the same game but it is becoming clearer and clearer to me that how I play a game has a big part to do with how much I enjoy it.

Good example is Hearthstone - fantastic phone game because it's very mobile, I have it everywhere, you can pick it up and play anywhere you want. I have not had it installed on my PC for 3 years

Edit: "Do you guys not have switches???"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Just to make sure, Legendary Gems can be removed from items just like at the Jeweler, right? Do items socketed into things get upgrade chances as well? I presume so, since they also work when stuck in my stash.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Just to make sure, Legendary Gems can be removed from items just like at the Jeweler, right? Do items socketed into things get upgrade chances as well? I presume so, since they also work when stuck in my stash.

Yes and yes

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The gems in your socets and inventory get put up ahead on the upgrade selection screen.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
gently caress the Switch and I'm mad at myself for wanting to drop $300 on a console for two Zelda games and Pokémon because like hell Nintendo will ever drop the price of the mother fucker. And the stupid thing will never leave the house so portability is utterly meaningless to me.

And I'm not rebuying a bunch of games I already own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

made a couple of corrections to my build and climbed another 3 tiers

Then I decided I needed a lot more keys if I wanted to get any higher, so I made a multishot demon hunter and god drat, farming keys has never been more fun. I shoulda done this a long time ago.