Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Koramei posted:

Oh come on, that's a load of poo poo, there've been plenty of games that've been turned around. Especially with Imperator where its issue is mostly sweet gently caress all in terms of content rather than its core systems being bad, there's every reason to believe it'll become dramatically better as long as Paradox doesn't drop it.

One of the biggest problems in the game right now is the atrocious UI and that is 100% going to be fixed in a patch unless paradox goes out of business or a meteor hits the earth before they get to it.

Once that is dealt with all you need to do is start filling out the map with more interesting content and regional subsystems. As much as I dislike the game currently the actual core mechanics are perfectly fine, even if a lot of ways you have to interact with those mechanics are through the truly heinous UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I said it on the first page or so, this game really really deserved a couple more months in the oven. There are some pretty gamebreaking bugs, 1.0 had huge performance problems, balance issues too and while we all know dlc and patches will eventually make this into a good game, people who aren't huge grognards or grand strategy fans already will bounce off it hard and never give it a second chance (as illustrated by the mostly negative reviews)

Lack of flavor, lack of polish (UI and otherwise), lack of a working game: if you have all 3, don't release the game until you fixed at least 1

I enjoy Pdox games so much, and I can see the potential here, that I am willing to wait for them to fix it like they did with Stellaris, and take what good I can out of it in the meantime; but if you want to start getting out of the "niche games" category and get a lot of public attention you have to start delivering on day 1 or you will alienate your non-rabid-fanboy customer base. God knows your rabid fanboys will already be spitting in your face because you tore from them the ability to feel human

Right now, I have to agree that unless you love the genre (like many of us do, heck I do not regret spending 40 hours in it already even in this state) the game isn't worth it

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 4, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

BigRoman posted:

I just want to be able to see a province summary of pops so I can know at a glance if my governor should be culture converting, religion converting, raising civilization, or raising money. There are 10 million cities and no ways to do this (that I know of). How is this not easier to do?

Yeah clicking provinces one by one is such a pain dunno how that made it through.

Also when moving a pop, you should be able to just directly click the city instead of having to scroll through the name list.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

Oh come on, that's a load of poo poo, there've been plenty of games that've been turned around. Especially with Imperator where its issue is mostly sweet gently caress all in terms of content rather than its core systems being bad, there's every reason to believe it'll become dramatically better as long as Paradox doesn't drop it.

I think "mostly negative" is pretty unfair but at the same time I don't feel like I really wanna recommend it in its current state either. Paradox has dealt with bad steam reviews plenty of times though so I hope it's not gonna be a big deal.

No, there haven't. The idea that CKII was somehow bad at launch is blatant revisionist history fueled by wishful thinking. Games that are bad on launch overwhelmingly remain bad, and Paradox games especially. They never fixed HoI3, or original Rome, or Stellaris, according to the majority of the people who disliked it originally, or EU4 according to people who disliked its framework (like me)... And even if you are right about their mystery powers of fixing bad games, they sure as hell aren't going to be fixing Imperator if it tanks.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

No, there haven't. The idea that CKII was somehow bad at launch is blatant revisionist history fueled by wishful thinking. Games that are bad on launch overwhelmingly remain bad, and Paradox games especially. They never fixed HoI3, or original Rome, or Stellaris, according to the majority of the people who disliked it originally, or EU4 according to people who disliked its framework (like me)... And even if you are right about their mystery powers of fixing bad games, they sure as hell aren't going to be fixing Imperator if it tanks.

you're conflating "bad on launch" and "game I didn't like"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah yes, bad games are best distinguished by the fact that people like them and vice versa.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yep, what @steinrokkan said. Fixing UI issues and bugs is not turning around the game, they turn the game you like but have some problems into game you like and have fewer issues. Maybe games like Final Fantasy 14 were salvaged but this case was more like remaking a game and putting an old label on it. Still, if you say that the game "has potential" it means you won't like playing it later, unless it's some specific case like it's a sequel that changed a lot and you need time to get used to a new paradigm (like Civilization 5).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

Ah yes, bad games are best distinguished by the fact that people like them and vice versa.

Noted games people dont like, EU4 and Stellaris

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I don't think he's saying EU4 is bad as much as, he doesn't like it from the ground up, and it's fixes haven't fixed that for him. Which I can understand, I'm at a similar point with EU.

Mainly here yeah, this game, even in the flawed state it's in, has a lot of potential and I want it to be good, very good. The classical era is my favorite bit of history, I want to love it as much as I love CK2. Like take a foundational system like combat, I'm not a fan of EU's combat engine and I don't think they are going to pull it out. Not sure why the EU system never sits right, too deterministic? Too closely tied to it's legacy as a board game? As well same with the forts. I'm fine with forts blocking the way, but the EU fort siege system is one of the biggest reasons I do not like that game, and I'm not sure it applies in this era? The CK morale of defenders that goes down would work more than the dice roll and stages.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Technowolf posted:

Do you have any tips for the start as Epirus? I tried earlier today and kinda bounced off of it.

Get a foothold on Italy or Sicily quick. If Rome has started snowballing, wait until they're fighting the tribes up near the Alps (they almost never get an alliance after they get the ball rolling.) Completely siege down the province you fabricated for and then peace out immediately (their cohorts take their sweet time going down south when Rome is fighting with the Boii or something.)

Rinse, repeat. Assign all provinces to culture convert.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Eimi posted:

I don't think he's saying EU4 is bad as much as, he doesn't like it from the ground up, and it's fixes haven't fixed that for him. Which I can understand, I'm at a similar point with EU.

Mainly here yeah, this game, even in the flawed state it's in, has a lot of potential and I want it to be good, very good. The classical era is my favorite bit of history, I want to love it as much as I love CK2. Like take a foundational system like combat, I'm not a fan of EU's combat engine and I don't think they are going to pull it out. Not sure why the EU system never sits right, too deterministic? Too closely tied to it's legacy as a board game? As well same with the forts. I'm fine with forts blocking the way, but the EU fort siege system is one of the biggest reasons I do not like that game, and I'm not sure it applies in this era? The CK morale of defenders that goes down would work more than the dice roll and stages.
there were tons of long and huge sieges in the ancient world. but there's something really off with playing tag with 4 or 5 stacks at a time. although this is a far more general problem (in ck2, eu4, ir, whatever) with the attempt to create compelling operational/tactical gameplay out of pre-modern warfare at this level of abstraction.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 5, 2019

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Zane posted:

there were tons of long and huge sieges in the ancient world. but there's something really off with playing tag with 4 or 5 stacks at a time. although this is a far more general problem (in ck2, eu4, ir, whatever) with the attempt to create compelling operational/tactical gameplay out of pre-modern warfare at this level of abstraction.

I think it's an attempt to make it so you can't just win the war in one go, because it was REALLY easy to do that in CK2 especially.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TorakFade posted:

I said it on the first page or so, this game really really deserved a couple more months in the oven.

TorakFade posted:

basically, for someone like me who was waiting for the lovechild of EU4 and CK2, this is already a great game and will only become better, so buy buy buy

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

ilitarist posted:

Yep, what @steinrokkan said. Fixing UI issues and bugs is not turning around the game, they turn the game you like but have some problems into game you like and have fewer issues. Maybe games like Final Fantasy 14 were salvaged but this case was more like remaking a game and putting an old label on it. Still, if you say that the game "has potential" it means you won't like playing it later, unless it's some specific case like it's a sequel that changed a lot and you need time to get used to a new paradigm (like Civilization 5).

I don't think this is some kind of immediately determinable thing you can spout some universal rule for. There have been plenty of games that have been turned around, and that's only going to be getting more common than less as we go forward and people get their foot out of their asses about expectations they made based around the industry before it got the infrastructure to release patches instantly to its entire userbase. Also Stellaris seems like a really weird example to prove your guys' point considering how much it's changed, although admittedly I enjoyed it on launch so I don't really have a good perspective on that one.

Anyway, leaving that aside, I'm glad you phrased this in terms of "turning around the game" because I think it illustrates how I'd put it perfectly: Imperator doesn't need turning around, it just needs to make it to the station. The game's systems are fine; pretty good, even. What it needs is content, and that's something Paradox have demonstrated they're willing to give.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm just getting a lot of joy out of watching the paradox forum melt down tbh

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I mean, that happens with literally every patch or release (or period without patch or release), no matter how good or bad.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

again, you're acting like your opinion fuckin matters lol

people like things you don't, grow up idiot

feller
Jul 5, 2006

we got he voice of the fuckin people here yall

he doesn't like the "framework" of something so it's bad and never ever improved

feller
Jul 5, 2006

i agree with both of the posts you quoted tbqh

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm not sure what's going on in my game, but like 100 years in and none of my character are rolling well on military. Like everyone died off, and all of the next generation blows at combat. I've incorporated quite a few families along the way of conquering as well.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 5, 2019

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Get a foothold on Italy or Sicily quick. If Rome has started snowballing, wait until they're fighting the tribes up near the Alps (they almost never get an alliance after they get the ball rolling.) Completely siege down the province you fabricated for and then peace out immediately (their cohorts take their sweet time going down south when Rome is fighting with the Boii or something.)

Rinse, repeat. Assign all provinces to culture convert.

So gently caress Greece, go for Italy?

Also, did you try to get either horses or iron as your first trade good, or just go full on archers?

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Lovechild between EU4 and CK2 was a really good way to put, I absolutely love how easy it is to get invested in a country due to the characters. That's been something I've struggled with in EU4 lately, with how the national ideas there have become kind of bland.

Currently playing down in hispania where everyone is a tribe, but pretty much all the pops are citizens and freemen. Makes it a bit rough at the start with happiness, but at least my tech is through the roof!

Also can't believe the complaints I've seen about trade. Like it's a super simple system where you want to hunt down 1/2/copy's of something for the bonus or just to be able to build units. If I had started further north I would've had horses, totally changing my army composition, instead I went for mass light infantry because I could get the trade goods bonus for them.

I've also been doing diplomacy with the wine producing countries, just to keep my citizens happy due to my civilization level being low. So not only does it drive diplomacy, but warfare too, making me rush toward horses/iron just to secure it for myself - something the trade system in EU4 never did for me.

It's honestly super engaging (to me at least) early on, but at the same time I can almost completely ignore it later on when I get bigger. The only thing lacking is the ability to automate trade requests so I don't have to manually accept trades (also an option to not trade away any of my grain, even if I have 3 surplus of it).

E: Ugh, I'm getting legit angry at some of these reviews

"Everybody has the same research, religion, shallow economy and 4 buildings" is a spot on description for CK2 at launch - makes you fear for the shitstorm that will hit when CK3/EU5 comes along and the base game isn't better than a decade of DLC.

L0VE fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 5, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The thing I miss trade-wise is that in I:R you can't really "dominate" trade. Like you can get a lot of trade income by trading with everyone, but you can't set out a la EU4 to build a trade empire.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Technowolf posted:

So gently caress Greece, go for Italy?

Also, did you try to get either horses or iron as your first trade good, or just go full on archers?

I made bootleg armies of 10 archers and 10 light infantry until I nabbed those horse cities in the Balkans.

The supply in Italy doesn't really like heavy infantry armies though so I never really made a fully switch over.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think most of my complaints with the game are UI related. Information I want isn't always readily available and commands I want to perform such as related to trade are tedious to setup.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Senor Dog posted:

i agree with both of the posts you quoted tbqh

yeah stans gonna stan

cheesetriangles posted:

I think most of my complaints with the game are UI related. Information I want isn't always readily available and commands I want to perform such as related to trade are tedious to setup.

I completely agree with this. The reversions of the simplest UI improvements Paradox has introduced since, well, EU: Rome, are really indefensible.

Funky Valentine posted:

I made bootleg armies of 10 archers and 10 light infantry until I nabbed those horse cities in the Balkans.

The supply in Italy doesn't really like heavy infantry armies though so I never really made a fully switch over.

Does the supply anywhere?

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Any way to get the 1.0.2 hotfix for the GOG version? I'm stuck on 1.0.1 with the peace treaty bug (sometimes workable around, sometimes not) and no opt-in beta available. Still enjoying the game, just wishing I'd gotten it on Steam.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Azuren posted:

Any way to get the 1.0.2 hotfix for the GOG version? I'm stuck on 1.0.1 with the peace treaty bug (sometimes workable around, sometimes not) and no opt-in beta available. Still enjoying the game, just wishing I'd gotten it on Steam.

No they didn't get time to do it before the weekend I guess.

cheesetriangles posted:

:same: I'm not really sure how anyone decided that the UI is ok for a game where a large component of the gameplay is doing poo poo to your pops and trade stuff but you have to constantly move between multiple screens and mapmodes to get the information you need to make decisions.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Do PDX have dedicated UI/UX designers? I don’t think I’ve ever heard one mentioned, they seem a very programmer orientated company.

I could totally see that as the reason for a lot of the UI complaints if it’s just the coders who make the UI for the feature. In my experience that means mainly focused on functionality over usability.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Please quote the other relevant part from that second post, too :) here, I will add the "complete" quote for you:

TorakFade posted:

basically, for someone like me who was waiting for the lovechild of EU4 and CK2, this is already a great game and will only become better, so buy buy buy

for someone who expected a game that was radically different from the other Paradox games, eeeeh, it's more a "get it on sale" or "get it after a few DLC/patches"

Makes more sense this way, doesn't it? At least it doesn't make me look like a crazy, as your cut quote did ;)

I swear this game is bringing out the worst in people. Not speaking to anyone in particular here, but if you don't like it, and have already voiced all your concerns so your only contribution to the thread is to keep telling us "game is bad because I don't like it", please :fuckoff: :)

Edit: just to add that EU4 at launch was in a pretty sorry state too, compared to what we have today (and I do agree that today's EU4 is bloated, but still):

- buildings costed monarch power
- no development
- no estates
- no playing as native americans or former colonial nations
- no changing trade capital
- no trade companies
- no army templates
- no fleet missions
- fewer CBs and peace options
- less interactions with vassals/CNs
- no treasure fleets
- no Treaty of Tordesillas
- no parliaments or constitutional monarchies
- no government ranks
- fewer different religions and mechanics
- no native policies
- no razing
- no trade leagues
- no great power mechanics
- no monarch and general traits
- no industrial revolution
- no anglicanism
- no ages/golden eras
- no territories/states
- a pretty bad random mission system
- map was a lot less detailed, with less provinces, etc

and I could go on and on, those are just a bunch of the things added by patches and DLC. Dare I say, back then it must've looked pretty barren... just like Imperator at launch (actually I find Imperator way more complete), but hey, EU4 is highly regarded as the "perfect" grand strategy out of the box while Imperator is utter unsalvageable dogshit that should tank, am I right? :shrug: people really do have rose-tinted glasses after all, I guess.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 5, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ilitarist posted:

The UI being poo poo and the lack of flavor are absolutely things that can be fixed. That's the potential that's being referred to; the core gameplay is good but the game is bad because, surprise surprise, there's more to the game than just the core gameplay.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Zotix posted:

I'm not sure what's going on in my game, but like 100 years in and none of my character are rolling well on military. Like everyone died off, and all of the next generation blows at combat. I've incorporated quite a few families along the way of conquering as well.

This happened to me too but you'll often have a bunch of dudes with really high martial skill who won't be listed as potential generals because they're not citizens. Go into the character tab and sort unemployed males (male part not necessary if you can have female generals) by martial, select the best ones and grant them citizenship. You can fill out other openings like this too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Weebus posted:

This happened to me too but you'll often have a bunch of dudes with really high martial skill who won't be listed as potential generals because they're not citizens. Go into the character tab and sort unemployed males (male part not necessary if you can have female generals) by martial, select the best ones and grant them citizenship. You can fill out other openings like this too.

gently caress, is this why I have a list of people who are grey?
Why don't they have citizenship?!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Weebus posted:

:aaaaa:

ok they really need to explain character interactions much, much better. Had no idea that this was a thing, I had noticed the greyed out characters but thought there was nothing I could do with them (just like many other character interactions that are "hidden" and only displayed in specific situations). Why would it be a thing? How do you, and why would you, have not-citizens living in your court? What's the pros and cons of granting them citizenship?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TorakFade posted:

ok they really need to explain character interactions much, much better. Had no idea that this was a thing, I had noticed the greyed out characters but thought there was nothing I could do with them (just like many other character interactions that are "hidden" and only displayed in specific situations). Why would it be a thing? How do you, and why would you, have not-citizens living in your court? What's the pros and cons of granting them citizenship?

For me I assumed they were people already assigned to other armies.

I mean this seems something the tutorial should definitely tell you, I CERTAINLY have had weird drain on certain stats where suddenly every member of my court has 0 civic or whatever.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Taear posted:

gently caress, is this why I have a list of people who are grey?
Why don't they have citizenship?!

TorakFade posted:

Granting citizenship causes your ruler to lose a little bit of popularity but other than that it really has no downsides. Hell, the newly minted citizens get a significant loyalty boost so they make for great generals. As for why they don't have citizenship it might have something to do with culture and religion but as Rome I've had hellenic roman non-citizens so :iiam:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Giving them citizenship if they're not part of a house lets them start a new one, which means another pack of whiny nobles you need to employ. Probably worth the trade off if they're some badass with 13 mil or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think those people show up in your country when you select the -0.5 AE option after conquering a country. You don't welcome their families as organized units into your country, but those people (or just some of them?) enter your country as non-citizens. Because they aren't organized under a family, I don't think they're allowed to have children and perpetuate their bloodline, even after granting them citizenship. I may be wrong about this since I don't have the game open, but I think that's how it works. There's a tradeoff between -0.5 AE and a group of non-citizen characters, or a tiny bit of popularity and entire families who enter into your ruling class, basically.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 5, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Johan posted a thing

The new WIP UI looks good, hiding the city pane is a really good idea, and pie charts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

RabidWeasel posted:

Johan posted a thing

The new WIP UI looks good, hiding the city pane is a really good idea, and pie charts!

He seems quite bitter, but on the other hand some of the things seem quite nice. The things I like most:

quote:

Lack of Flavor
There has been a lot of feedback of the game about how most countries just feel the same to play, and there are no variations. While most people appreciate that there is enough difference between settled tribes, migratory tribes, monarchies and republics, there is not much difference between the different tribes other than their starting location.

While we did not view this is a flaw, we hear you, and will add some distinct flavor to 1.1, some new to our games, and some familiar.

First of all, we are adding bonuses to each religion, so that different religions have different impacts. That in itself does not make the game suddenly great, but it gives a bit more flavor.

Secondly, we are diversifying Omens, so that different religions, or even different countries can have unique omens for them. We will go into more details on this soon.

Finally, we are adding something we call Heritages to countries. This is something they start with, which gives 2 bonuses and 1 drawback. There will be lots of “generic” heritages for countries, which depends on their geography, but we aim to add as many unique ones as possible in 1.1, and then keep adding them.

Percieved Shallowness
A lot of the things that happens has not been visible enough to the player, like you don’t see the things characters do with each other. This will be changed for 1.1, where you will be able to always see what a character is up to, besides just an ambition.

Another thing is that the game has been tuned so a lot of the mechanics is not required to think about, especially when you are a big power. I’ve seen a lot of comments about how great the game is when you play smaller, compared to Rome where you just rofl-stomp everything, and don’t have to care about any challenges. One thing we are reworking in 1.1, is how a characters “power base” is calculated, which is the amount of troops, holdings, wealth or territory he or she may hold, and that power base will have much more impact.