Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Allison and the gang's RPG is going on a real long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

A drill that will pierce the clevins

did that ever start back or

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Burkion posted:

Nope. I wouldn't bet on it ever leaving its Clevinous limbo.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Burkion posted:

Do you want it to?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At least until Dominic Deegan actually returns and we get a proper mock thread again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

Do you want it to?

I have made more than one post in this long thread's history about the status and well being of our soft noodle boy Clevin

I demand to know what the gently caress they were going to do to end the story so abruptly

oh wait that's what they already did

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i was legitimately upset when sfp ended because it clearly had actual money behind it and i thought if for no reason that would allow it to last the distance and give us the trainwreck we were promised

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I continue to be really uninterested in talking about Clevin.

That said, it seems like Strong Female Protagonist, in hindsight, basically ran smack into the Trump era and an environment where being the embodiment of white privilege stopped being such a great metaphor.

There was also another problem the comic had that nobody can really discuss without courting legal trouble, but people can probably guess what it is on their own.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

As someone who followed the decline of SFP, I honestly have no idea what you're hinting at.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Joe Slowboat posted:

As someone who followed the decline of SFP, I honestly have no idea what you're hinting at.

Same here, what the hell?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I only know two things about Strong Female Protagonist: 1) the woman who drew it now has an actual professional career doing graphic novels for Scholastic, and 2) that stalker guy who got perma'd last month wouldn't shut up about Clevin and got ran out of BBS for it.

And I do not care to learn any more things about Strong Female Protagonist, thank you.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna guess that one of the hero/villain knockoffs veered too close to an existing IP? I mean that one was just Wolverine.

nine-gear crow posted:

I only know two things about Strong Female Protagonist: 1) the woman who drew it now has an actual professional career doing graphic novels for Scholastic, and 2) that stalker guy who got perma'd last month wouldn't shut up about Clevin and got ran out of BBS for it.

And I do not care to learn any more things about Strong Female Protagonist, thank you.

The writer works for CollegeHumor and is in some of their videos so I guess he doesn't have as much time for mediocre webcomics either.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
BravestOfThe Lamps was Permabanned? Good riddance.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IIRC, it was for trying to troll/shittalk Lowtax's thread. You almost have to admire that level of bull-headed, belligerent negativity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

IIRC, it was for trying to troll/shittalk Lowtax's thread. You almost have to admire that level of bull-headed, belligerent negativity.

Nah, the admins just finally got tired of his poo poo. Also it came out in wash of the QCS meltdown over his perma that he was stalking several goons across SA and off-site specifically to harass and gaslight them so it was a big pile of :yikes: all over.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I remember him trying to poo poo up the Into The Spider-Verse thread. One of things he claimed was that the movie Up had no real antagonist, or something. Now, Up is not my favorite Pixar movie by any stretch, but the character Muntz may as well wear a T-Shirt that says "I represent the natural endpoint of the Main Character's Obsessions". poo poo, there was an entire DVD feature on why he needed to die.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Botl's clevin posts and his takedown of the name of the wind were truly top quality posts that we all should aspire to.

Shame about literally any other post he ever made

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, the admins just finally got tired of his poo poo. Also it came out in wash of the QCS meltdown over his perma that he was stalking several goons across SA and off-site specifically to harass and gaslight them so it was a big pile of :yikes: all over.

Wow what a surprise!!!

A big flaming stink posted:

Botl's clevin posts and his takedown of the name of the wind were truly top quality posts that we all should aspire to.

Shame about literally any other post he ever made

IMO you shouldn't get credit over low hanging fruit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Same here, what the hell?

sfp eventually shrugged its shoulders and said "maybe exertion of violence in pursuit of your ideological goals is a Good Thing" which was an issue much thornier than any of the people involved in making it had the ability to navigate properly

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
omg

for the record botl did not stalk anybody. i will say nothing about the rest of it, but the "stalking" thing started as him ragging on a single guy who turned out to have psychological issues (like 100% of this place's users), he targeted like three threads that the other goon also frequented to shitpost in so someone else took the opportunity to claim he had a vendetta and was trying to push this poor figurine enthusiast to suicide or some poo poo. fast forward a few months and the story has transformed into "stalked and doxxed multiple goons and probably also murdered someone, who knows what he's capable of!!!!"

i had no intention of talking about botl itt but that rumour escalated so quickly i am legitimately alarmed. the guy hates fantasy novels and clevin. he has not stalked or doxxed anyone. like please correct me if i'm wrong and he turned up to somebody's house or something, by all means, but as far as i know this was the actual sequence of events

nankeen fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 5, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dead men tell no tales

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nankeen posted:

omg

for the record botl did not stalk anybody. i will say nothing about the rest of it, but the "stalking" thing started as him ragging on a single guy who turned out to have psychological issues (like 100% of this place's users), he targeted like three threads that the other goon also frequented to shitpost in so someone else took the opportunity to claim he had a vendetta and was trying to push this poor figurine enthusiast to suicide or some poo poo. fast forward a few months and the story has transformed into "stalked and doxxed multiple goons and probably also murdered someone, who knows what he's capable of!!!!"

i had no intention of talking about botl itt but that rumour escalated so quickly i am legitimately alarmed. the guy hates fantasy novels and clevin. he has not stalked or doxxed anyone. like please correct me if i'm wrong and he turned up to somebody's house or something, by all means, but as far as i know this was the actual sequence of events

didn't know you became a cop

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Alaois posted:

didn't know you became a cop
i know what you did, too

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i know what you all did

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

everyone knows what i did i have an en thread about it youre not special

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

sfp eventually shrugged its shoulders and said "maybe exertion of violence in pursuit of your ideological goals is a Good Thing" which was an issue much thornier than any of the people involved in making it had the ability to navigate properly

Sure but there was a clear implication of something about SFP that would bring down legal troubles if discussed openly, which... I can't even imagine what that would be? Like, whose legal trouble are we even talking about here? The author and artist were never litigious as far as I know.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They ran afoul of TREE LAW

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Xarbala posted:

They ran afoul of TREE LAW
lmao i had to do a tree law subject last semester, while it was in progress someone in sydney actually did cut down their neighbour's tree and got fined eighty thousand dollars for it and my teacher was so loving excited summarising the case for us i thought he was going to jizz

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

would it be sap

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

nankeen posted:

i was legitimately upset when sfp ended because it clearly had actual money behind it and i thought if for no reason that would allow it to last the distance and give us the trainwreck we were promised

If you want to know how sfp was going to end just imagine that ZenPencils comic where the concept of criticism becomes a big slime monster and explodes.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Zerilan posted:

If you want to know how sfp was going to end just imagine that ZenPencils comic where the concept of criticism becomes a big slime monster and explodes.

reifying abstract concepts sounds way more adventurous than anything SFP ever did

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I still can't believe that sfp decided to just negate wolverines crazy sacrifice so she could romance tony stark, that was probably the only interesting or compelling thing it did and then made it into a big wet fart.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Neither writer or artist realized they were writing and illustrating a sexual assault metaphor

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Neither writer or artist realized they were writing and illustrating a sexual assault metaphor

Yeah this was probably the lowest point, imo. But nobody got sued!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

SFP ran up right to the line on a lot of interesting dilemmas and aspects of world building around a "realistic" setting with metahumans. And then it'd back away every time.

It was strangely tepid and unaware of itself, and didn't appear to realize that the deconstruction it was going for was already a well-worn rut from the past 40 years of Marvel and DC comics.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The low point of SFP was Allison's epiphany that all of the world's problems can be solved by saying "we got this," and then having your tech CEO friend build an Uber app for you.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

The low point of SFP was Allison's epiphany that all of the world's problems can be solved by saying "we got this," and then having your tech CEO friend build an Uber app for you.

i still think it's the "rape is good, actually" part

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
“Rape is good” is nowhere near what they were saying with that, although the fact that so many people thought so is evidence of how badly that plot got fumbled.

The point Dr. Rapestatistics was making was “the number of people striking back violently against perceived rapists is so small compared to the number of rapes that it basically doesn’t exist. The fact that we treat the handful of murders as significant and the tsunami of rape as normal is a sign of how hosed up our cultural priorities are.”

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

A big flaming stink posted:

i still think it's the "rape is good, actually" part

Are we talking about the entire rape storyline or the time where she strong arms someone into helping her which had remarkably rapey imagery and language?

The former, I don’t think it was that so much as the writer writing himself into a corner then resolving it by basically shrugging and moving on. The latter... yeah I am not touching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i'm talking about the part where she bends the lolbertarian bf over the table and threatens severe bodily trauma if he doesn't submit to her desires.