Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

The Facebook block chain thing is actually to enable international small amount money transfers via WhatsApp. The block chain will be a internal thing for Facebook to facilitate international transfers while sidestepping local banking regulations which can be quite cumbersome in many developing countries (I have personal experience in this). The end users will be sending US Dollars to local currency to each other via WhatsApp and it will be instantaneous and cheaper than Western Union. Keep in mind in a lot of these countries very few people have credit cards or bank accounts and PayPal is not an option (they don't have a presence in a lot of places). But everyone has a cell phone and everyone uses Whatsapp, so this Facebook block chain money transfer thing could actually positively impact a lot of lives around the world... if they don't hilariously gently caress it up somehow. Which they probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
source your quotes

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm sure a huge corporation like Facebook using one weird trick to sidestep banking regulations would go well for them.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lynch_69 posted:

The Facebook block chain thing is actually to enable international small amount money transfers via WhatsApp. The block chain will be a internal thing for Facebook to facilitate international transfers while sidestepping local banking regulations which can be quite cumbersome in many developing countries (I have personal experience in this). The end users will be sending US Dollars to local currency to each other via WhatsApp and it will be instantaneous and cheaper than Western Union. Keep in mind in a lot of these countries very few people have credit cards or bank accounts and PayPal is not an option (they don't have a presence in a lot of places). But everyone has a cell phone and everyone uses Whatsapp, so this Facebook block chain money transfer thing could actually positively impact a lot of lives around the world... if they don't hilariously gently caress it up somehow. Which they probably will.

So Facebook will be a bank now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Facebank

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I think they saw the huge rise of local money transfers via chat apps in places like China and want to replicate that on a global scale using Whatsapp. Kinda like Venmo but for the whole world.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

lynch_69 posted:

I think they saw the huge rise of local money transfers via chat apps in places like China and want to replicate that on a global scale using Whatsapp. Kinda like Venmo but for the whole world.

It is totally a good thing that Facebook, a company notorious for its security issues and lack of accountability, has decided to do this.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Maybe they'll finally self-destruct.
one can only hope.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they're a company with a lot of money, so actually they will suffer no consequences whatsoever as long as they don't try it in europe

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

It is totally a good thing that Facebook, a company notorious for its security issues and lack of accountability, has decided to do this.

It's been a while since someone has disrupted the 'scamming boomers' industry, and I have high hopes.

Jabor posted:

they're a company with a lot of money, so actually they will suffer no consequences whatsoever as long as they don't try it in europe

also this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48147185

quote:

Police in western Germany have arrested three men suspected of running the world's second-largest dark net marketplace for illegal drugs, stolen data and malicious software.

quote:

According to a police spokesman, investigators found more than 63,000 sale offers on the platform, more than 1.1 million customer accounts and more than 5,400 sellers.

dun dun dun dun another one bites the dust

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Powershift posted:

link on that page
jesus h christ
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45096183

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

cut off 1 head, 2 more take its place

the main market went down a couple of weeks ago. based on the timing it looks like they might have run the same playbook as the last round of busts in 2017, which is to say that they had probably already compromised and weakened these markets in order to snoop on the huge influx of refugees

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is there anything blockchain can't do? Tech of the future, friends

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most African countries with poor banking already have mobile based banking that work even without a smartphone.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

oohhboy posted:

Most African countries with poor banking already have mobile based banking that work even without a smartphone.

This is true, but those systems are limited for local transactions. If you're one of those people and want to receive money from abroad you'll have to go to your nearest bank branch and jump through a few hoops.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remittance services suck, sending money overseas suck in general (I have to pay that to use SWIFT on top of conversion???) but I am not sure how Facebook would be any better at it especially with junk like blockchain.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Fortnite should get into the remittance game; make V-Bucks the new world currency.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I'm guessing it'll be something like the money that goes into the system will be converted to Facebook Funbucks and stored in their internal blockchain and that's how they will easily transfer it around the globe bypassing Swift or whatever. The receiver will then go to their local 7 eleven or mobile phone recharge shop and scan a QR code from their phones or something and get their money in real currency. The hard part will be setting up the local networks where users can convert their Zuck Dollars into local currency, but I think a company with the size and reach of Facebook could easily bully their way into that.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

lynch_69 posted:

Zuck Dollars

ZuckBucks

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_lzEhyryY

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

oohhboy posted:

Remittance services suck, sending money overseas suck in general (I have to pay that to use SWIFT on top of conversion???) but I am not sure how Facebook would be any better at it especially with junk like blockchain.

Facebook could conceivable be better because they are global. When you transfer over the SWIFT system, at least two banks are involved: your own and that of the recipient. Especially that of the recipient will also want to get paid because they are providing you a service despite you not being a customer.

In the end, physical money will have to be exchanged, though in most cases that is optimized by instead making electronic IOUs and balancing them out. If they cannot be balanced out, actual money has to be transferred, and that money put into the national bank to be exchanged for national currency.

A lot of these physical transactions can be balanced out somewhat and done electronically, but at the end of the day, they include a plot of organizations cooperating.

Facebook (any multinational) can do better because they will be both the sending and receiving bank so they can eliminate the receiving bank’s fee. They can likely also avoid exchange at the national bank because the transfers will be more balanced and they could introduce their own funbux.

What will be worse is that it is Facebook who cannot even keep your data from thieves, so why would yo trust them with money? Also, they’re late to the game and other multinationals already do better - even PayPal. Google, Amazon and Apple all have multinational stores that could easily allow peer-to-peer transactions.

Using blockchain is just for the buzz value and unlikely to be even close to the truth except they will have a ledger (it’s just a database) and likely password protect it (which, if you squint enough, is at least adjacent to encryption).

So in conclusion, Facebook wants in on this because every other techbro is, just like voice assistants and self-driving cars a couple of years ago, and the “use” blockchain because of buzz.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Actual honest to god company scrip in TYOOL 2019 wow yikes

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

klafbang posted:

Facebook (any multinational) can do better because they will be both the sending and receiving bank so they can eliminate the receiving bank’s fee. They can likely also avoid exchange at the national bank because the transfers will be more balanced and they could introduce their own funbux.

What will be worse is that it is Facebook who cannot even keep your data from thieves, so why would yo trust them with money? Also, they’re late to the game and other multinationals already do better - even PayPal. Google, Amazon and Apple all have multinational stores that could easily allow peer-to-peer transactions.
They are extremely late to the game. Right now, I can buy an Amazon, Google, or Apple gift card (which I don't think any of them charge a fee for), give someone the number, and if the recipient is in a relatively industrialized country they'll be able to use that money to buy food. That's clunky, but it works. The only current use for ZuckBucks are lovely Facebook games so Facebook game cards aren't widely available and there is no way to go directly from ZuckBucks -> food. It would take Facebook a very long time to get to where Google Pay or Apple Pay currently are, or to where Google Now/Amazon Now currently are.

For Facebook to #disrupt Western Union remittances to Algeria they would need to find local partners who are willing to give people cash in exchange for ZuckBucks and who can somehow assure Facebook they are not giving money to terrorists. Western Union isn't the 800 pound gorilla of finance, they are the 80-ton dinosaur that was here before you were born and will be here long after the worms have consumed your flesh. Amazon is the most likely candidate for doing it because they are the everything store. You can buy anything off Amazon, even a house.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
While we're also dunking on The Zuck and Facebook ITT, here's a relevant link: https://www.revealnews.org/article/facebook-knowingly-duped-game-playing-kids-and-their-parents-out-of-money/amp/

quote:

The revenue Facebook earned off children had such large chargeback rates – a process in which the credit card company is forced to step in and claw back money on behalf of parents – that it far exceeded what the Federal Trade Commission has said is a red flag for deceptive business practices.

Despite the many warning signs, which continued for years, Facebook made a clear decision. It pursued a goal of increasing its revenues at the expense of children and their parents.

--

So as a test, Stewart and her colleagues tried requiring children to re-enter the first six credit card numbers on certain games before they could spend money. Stewart called it a “good first step.” It worked, according to the unsealed documents. It lowered the number of refund and chargeback requests from children.

--

“I saw all these $19 charges from Facebook,” she said. “It added up to nearly $1,000.”

She asked her son why he would do that. But he was flabbergasted by the charges too. So Bohannon asked her son to play the game so she could watch what he was doing wrong.

As he played, he occasionally clicked on a corner of the screen that gave him more abilities, such as magical items, or new ninja attacks for his character. It didn’t ask if he wanted to pay for it, or let him know that his mom’s credit card was being charged.

“There was no indication he was spending money,” Bohannon said. “So, 20 minutes later, I rechecked my credit card statement online. And sure enough, there was another $19.99 charge from Facebook.”

Sounds extremely bitcoin anyway

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
the remittance market is well established at this point, there a many services in existence with lots of users. They work similar to the services that used to offer cheap international calls. You call a local number and the recipient in another country receives a local call and the service connects the two together for a lower fee than the phone company. Sender sends payment to the service in their country and the service pays the recipient and charges a lower fee than making the same payment by swift.

that's why these blockchain remittance ideas always go on about the unbanked, otherwise there is no need for it, just continue to use the existing services.

the whole thing is pretty stupid because the majority of the payments go in one direction. you have money going in at one end and coming out at the other. from a big economy to a small one. having to exchange a load of the source currency to the destination currency puts downwards pressure on the value of the source currency. not such a big problem if the source currency is usd but if it's some lovely token then how is it supposed to even work in the first place? using currency works because currency has value beside remittance.

stinch fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 4, 2019

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Gobbeldygook posted:

Amazon is the most likely candidate for doing it because they are the everything store. You can buy anything off Amazon, even a house.
Bit of a derail, but Sears completely missed a great opportunity to control Internet commerce because they didn't leverage their catalog sales to the Internet. Sears sold houses for decades. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lambert posted:

Fortnite should get into the remittance game; make V-Bucks the new world currency.

How do you feel about TF2 hats

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

Use Transfer Wise

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

do not bite the dust it is "research" chemicals consume at own risk caveat empter

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Yes, guys. Facebook is totally disruptive to the banking world. I'm sure all the foreign governments in the world, especially developing countries, would welcome money transfer sidestepping all money laundering laws and the use of a foreign digital currency which they do not control to take hold of their economy. This is a likely scenario to any country being run by bitcoiners.

I'm sure this is such a revolutionary innovative idea that no banker in history has ever thought of and tried to do.

Dunning Kruger is a hell of a thing.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

This whole thing just reminds me of all the poo poo about Amazon and delivery. The real problem is the last mile, or in this case, getting usable local currency for whatever currency is being sent, whether it's zuccbuccs or dollars or whatever. Western Union has it figured out and lol that Facebook can jump in and use the one weird trick that central bankers hate to make it happen better.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Azathoth posted:

This whole thing just reminds me of all the poo poo about Amazon and delivery. The real problem is the last mile, or in this case, getting usable local currency for whatever currency is being sent, whether it's zuccbuccs or dollars or whatever. Western Union has it figured out and lol that Facebook can jump in and use the one weird trick that central bankers hate to make it happen better.

1 gig fiber has been one mile from my house for 2 years at least now. Zuck fix that first.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Fried Watermelon posted:

So Facebook will be a bank now

Probably more like Western Union, where they gently caress around with whatever money they hold "in the air" between its transfer points

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Azathoth posted:

Western Union has it figured out and lol that Facebook can jump in and use the one weird trick that central bankers hate to make it happen better.

so you've never used western union is what you're saying

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lynch_69 posted:

I don't think you understand what blockchain is. That's ok, no one really does

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

poverty goat posted:

so you've never used western union is what you're saying

Only once and it was just inside the US. I didn't mean to suggest that it's some amazing experience, just that they've got that last mile part that Facebook doesn't have, that it's the most difficult part, and it's the part that is the part that is the most difficult to technology around.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Burt Sexual posted:

1 gig fiber has been one mile from my house for 2 years at least now. Zuck fix that first.

My brother can't get cable internet because of some BS the telecom did with phone cables on his street in the 90s. He's stuck on slow, unreliable radio.

Last year they connected fibre 600 metres away from him. It's so close even the internet providers' salespeople are shocked when they check and find out their company will not offer anything but wireless at his address.

There are no plans to expand the fibre network to him because replacing old phone cables nobody uses anymore would be too much effort.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tevery Best posted:

My brother can't get cable internet because of some BS the telecom did with phone cables on his street in the 90s. He's stuck on slow, unreliable radio.

Last year they connected fibre 600 metres away from him. It's so close even the internet providers' salespeople are shocked when they check and find out their company will not offer anything but wireless at his address.

There are no plans to expand the fibre network to him because replacing old phone cables nobody uses anymore would be too much effort.

Welcome to large parts of America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

klafbang posted:

In the end, physical money will have to be exchanged,

Is that really the case? A lot of parts of the world would expect a credit posted electronically to the recipient’s account rather than a bundle of bills handed over a counter. PayPal and Facebook’s existing wet squib of a payments system (David Marcus’ previous opus) work that way, plus SWIFT, plus Venmo, plus Western Union in some countries, etc. Remittances to the unbanked aren’t the only market for a transfer system.