Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Midjack posted:

he’s already unbelievable.

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Midjack posted:

whoa

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

quote:

Using a broad definition (the inability to cover interest expenses for three consecutive years), zombie firms have been rising from around 2% in 1990 to 13% today.

However, investors don't seem to care much. One need only look at the cousin of zombie companies, and that is the unprofitable IPO. Historically, these are somewhat rare, but they have grown exceedingly common in recent years.

In 2018, for instance, over 80% of initial public offerings were unprofitable, setting a new record for profitless IPOs. This year seems poised to produce as many or more unprofitable company IPOs, with Lyft (LYFT), Uber (UBER), Pinterest (NYSE:PINS) and others among them. Beyond Meat (BYND) has not yet seen a profit, and yet investors have demonstrated intense cravings for its cruelty-free shares so far.

Besides being the mark of late-cycle investor mania, demand for these profitless IPO shares signifies a paucity of safer yet still attractive investment opportunities out there. Ultra-low interest rates have helped push stock yields down and valuations up, which has in turn given a greater audience to speculative growth companies, including those that regularly post losses or can't cover their fixed expenses with net income.

Data on Japanese zombie companies signifies that zombified firms are mainly concentrated among small- and medium-sized enterprises, which likely also holds true in the United States and other developed countries. But zombie companies can certainly be larger, as in the case of a certain all-electric car manufacturer.

The Curious Case of Tesla
Tesla (TSLA) provides an interesting test case. Since 2014, the company has enjoyed only five profitable quarters out of nineteen. That means Tesla has reported profits for only ~25% of its existence as a public company. And yet, the company enjoys a very low cost of capital and has taken ample advantage of it.

GuruFocus puts Tesla's weighted average cost of capital (WACC) as low as 2.06%, and that is with a cost of debt of 5.95%.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4259993-central-banks-spawning-zombie-apocalypse

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

i'm sure this will end well

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

why would having less EMF's make you feel more energized jack, they're charging you up :colbert:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Midjack posted:

yee

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Everything is fine

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the future of the office is posting stations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ7mhC5_Rys

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

I'm the gravity defying mouse

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zlodo posted:

I'm the gravity defying mouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7lgj3aZ8dU

this fucken video, they go from wtf to okay? to WOO :o:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao that all these fuckin computer dorks know nothing about actual physical electricity, fuckin rubes

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Midjack posted:

whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfCLt0kTd5E

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

fishmech posted:

woops! you're buying into republican propaganda again.

its not even anglo limited lol

americans are exceptionally bad hth

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Not a Children posted:

lmao that all these fuckin computer dorks know nothing about actual physical electricity, fuckin rubes

look I know everything about my field of specialization so obviously my opinion about this somewhat related field is correct

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FrozenVent posted:

look I know everything about my field of specialization so obviously my opinion about this somewhat related field is correct

ok, sagebrush

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the seattle times reporter (mike rosenberg I think) who gets shared here often and always tweets about real estate bubbles and stuff got suspended from his job bc he was a sex pest on twitter. rip creepy reporter dude, you had some good real estate tweets

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

this would be so nice for sleeping at work

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

incels interlinked posted:

the seattle times reporter (mike rosenberg I think) who gets shared here often and always tweets about real estate bubbles and stuff got suspended from his job bc he was a sex pest on twitter. rip creepy reporter dude, you had some good real estate tweets

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:wtc:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

that conversation took a hard left

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i did that thing where i skim over what i read like three time. “yeah, it’s awkward and creepy bit did he really des—N’OH MY GOD”

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

3 a.m. so i'm guessing he was shitfaced drunk. doesn't excuse it at all of course

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
man even setting aside how grossly inappropriate that is, that's still just, like, bizarrely incoherent. i mean i've been drunk and horny as gently caress and it would never occur to me to just... i'm guessing he's doing some kind of stream-of-consciousness thing where he's just blurting whatever he's fantasizing about right there? i don't know. that's the only thing i can think of. i'm baffled. like this is a level even beyond "unsolicited dick pic" in terms of how poorly thought out it is.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i noted the time between the last two messages

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
while on his leave of absence, mike's housing crisis beat will be covered by freelance journalist nick robinson

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm guessing he's doing some kind of stream-of-consciousness thing where he's just blurting whatever he's fantasizing about right there? i don't know

i have learned from something awful that a thing some men do for ???? is ejaculate on pictures of their object of lust

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

that’s a dentist’s chair

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
maybe it's an innocent turn of phrase. in seattle maybe instead of "egg on your face" they say "cum on your face"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

maybe it's an innocent turn of phrase. in seattle maybe instead of "egg on your face" they say "cum on your face"

what is this a senate race

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they say tossed salad and scrambled eggs

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rex-Goliath posted:

3 a.m. so i'm guessing he was shitfaced drunk. doesn't excuse it at all of course

those are her screenshots so that's NY time - midnight for him

Sagebrush posted:

i have learned from something awful that a thing some men do for ???? is ejaculate on pictures of their object of lust

there's a[t least one] subreddit where people volunteer their pictures and expect pics in return

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

they say tossed salad and scrambled eggs

*riffs piano one-handed* hey baby i hear my blues are cumming

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

wait so you're telling me this guy might have gone to the trouble of printing out her picture and then blasting ropes onto it??

(comedy option: no he shot cum onto his thousand dollar smartphone lol)

glad i can continue to learn things as i get older. thanks and "god bless", i guess

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

that sure looks a lot like being real dumb and drunk and messaging the wrong person more than a continuous train of thought

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it is not a particularly good look to come up with excuses for the sex pest

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

which word was supposed to be cat

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

sex pest designation requires a pattern of behavior IMO

not saying [possibly] drunk creepy texts is OK mind you, just that I'm waiting for some me toos :sigh:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

“They weren’t supposed to go to her,” Rosenberg told Crosscut. When the journalist asked him who they were intended for, he responded “I would rather not say.”

this is a nice way to either admit you didn't think through this excuse very well or admit that you were drunktexting your mistress

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

aardvaard posted:

“They weren’t supposed to go to her,” Rosenberg told Crosscut. When the journalist asked him who they were intended for, he responded “I would rather not say.”

this is a nice way to either admit you didn't think through this excuse very well or admit that you were drunktexting your mistress

accidentally opened the wrong chat at 3:10, 3:13, and 3:55. I actually intended to harass a much younger woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

maybe he was also drunk when he offered to donate $1000 to charity to cover it up