Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Splatoon 3 looking good

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ink-spill-leak-kent-colour-firefighters-water-dartford-a8899696.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Len posted:

I've unlocked everything in Risk of Rain and don't want to spend the $40 to buy Binding of Isaac. What are some other good roguelike/lites for the Switch? I've seen a couple others but I'm not sure if they're work getting or not

You really should get Nuclear Throne. It's super fun and quick to play and offers a lot of depth for what seems seemingly little. Plus it's 12 bucks. You can't go wrong.

I don't normally like bullet-hell/twin stick shooters, and I can't get enough of the game it's really really fun.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm thinking of getting a Hori d-pad joycon, but I'm seeing a few reports online (mostly from around when they came out) that they're bricking/overheating Switches. Does anyone know if that's actually problem or has it been fixed? I know the joycon originally had a power drain issue that has reportedly since been fixed, are the brickings maybe related to that or is it a separate issue? Is there a hardware difference in this between the Japanese blue version and the Mario/Zelda/Pokemon designs?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You really should get Nuclear Throne. It's super fun and quick to play and offers a lot of depth for what seems seemingly little. Plus it's 12 bucks. You can't go wrong.

I don't normally like bullet-hell/twin stick shooters, and I can't get enough of the game it's really really fun.

I'm either missing something or this game is just ridiculously hard because I've made it past 2-1 maybe twice out of 30 attempts

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm in the same boat. It's fantastic though. I can get frustrated after ten failed attempts, but it's quick to pick up and just smash your face into it again and again.

It's a matter of good weapons, and drops, but also skill. I just wish I could more quickly unlock the other characters.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Len posted:

I've unlocked everything in Risk of Rain and don't want to spend the $40 to buy Binding of Isaac. What are some other good roguelike/lites for the Switch? I've seen a couple others but I'm not sure if they're work getting or not

I just learned that searching for "rougelike" in the eshop actually works, so check that out. Most of the great ones have been mentioned, but there's a few good more obscure hybrids if you've got a preference of genre. Some notable hidden gems, in no particular order. (I've seen most of these games go on discount):

Immortal Redneck- Pretty good FPS/RL mashup. Does the Rogue Legacy thing where the game is basically too tough to beat until you've earned some permanent upgrades through constant dying, but there are 3 individual dungeons to beat in this one, so I never felt like it got too repetitive.

20XX- Do you want to play MegaMan X but as a roguelite with questionable art? Because here it is.

Gonner- Really like the style of this one, and it does the thing that I love where the player has to learn what anything even means, but dang it's really hard.

UnExplored- As close to a traditional roguelike as an action hybrid can get, this basically feels like non-turnbased nethack. Notable for it's very fancy procedural level generator, which can do puzzles and makes levels that feel more "handmade" than the usual rooms and corridors you normally see in proc gen dungeon crawls. I guess there were some issues with the port at launch? I do not know if these have been addressed but I will say that the for the first couple minutes of game play there is an occasional stutter as the game generates the floors below the one you start on. I still think the game is good enough to reccomend though, if it seems like your kind of thing.

The Swords of Ditto- JUST released as a switch port. Legend of Zelda/RL hybrid, with local co-op. I enjoyed what I played of this one on steam but it had a lot of progression design problems and some major bugs when it launched. Seems like the developer really cleaned it up though, and I've heard that it''s a good purchase now.

TumbleSeed- :siren:Currently on Sale!:siren: This one is really neat, simultaneously chill and a raw unforgiving test of skill at the same time. Everyone should check out a trailer.

And a special shoutout to Skelly Selest, which isn't released (on Switch) yet, but the dev has a great track record of really bizarre games. I plan on picking this one up when it launches this month.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
A thumbs up for Tumbleseed from me. They released a big patch that reworked the game to be less punishing and introduced special skills. Also has one of the best work on the HD rumble, you can feel the seed rolling along the platform.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just started BotW, no spoilers please!, and I just want to make sure that I can go in and play this game completely blind and nothing weird or obtuse will throw me for a loop?

I obsessively played every Zelda as a child with a guide in my lap the whole way so I wouldn’t miss a heart piece or a spider, and I’ve resolved this to be my first Zelda where I just play. Is this the best way to play the game?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bust Rodd posted:

I just started BotW, no spoilers please!, and I just want to make sure that I can go in and play this game completely blind and nothing weird or obtuse will throw me for a loop?

I obsessively played every Zelda as a child with a guide in my lap the whole way so I wouldn’t miss a heart piece or a spider, and I’ve resolved this to be my first Zelda where I just play. Is this the best way to play the game?

The game is so spread out that you'll likely miss some stuff, but the game does a pretty good job of making sure you figure things out. Each horse stable usually has a book on a table that has some info about quests in the area. Also make sure you talk to everyone you meet. Other than that, you can play the game in any order you want.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

100% yes. The only advice I'd give you is don't be afraid to go into the Castle. It's far more fun and exciting to do it when you're weak and terrified, than an unstoppable tank.

Have fun!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I would say yes. Go in as blind as you can. As far as early tips go... you might want to follow the main story quest to (very vague spoiler) Hateno Village until you get an ability that you did not get on the Great Plateau. You don't have to, of course, because that's how the game rolls, but if you have that on hand, it'll give you more things to do while you explore Hyrule.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanks that’s basically exactly the type of hint I wanted!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

^burtle posted:

If I am going to get 1 is it Vesperia, Berseria or Torna?

snap pick bersey

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Son of a gun, I think I almost beat Enter the Gungeon. I didn’t realize there were only five levels. I was hopped up on a couple of speed increasing buffs so I flew through the door (since it looked different from last bosses) and was locked in before I knew it. Even starting with two hearts, I got him down to a sliver before I died.

I doubt I’ll ever have luck like that again. I had some blue orb that gave me a temporary super gun with infinite ammo and high damage whenever I was hurt, which made most bosses a breeze. I had also consumed like 4 or 5 spices. Is there some hot tip to progress in this game I am overlooking, or is it 90% luck each run?

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

I would say yes. Go in as blind as you can. As far as early tips go... you might want to follow the main story quest to (very vague spoiler) Hateno Village until you get an ability that you did not get on the Great Plateau. You don't have to, of course, because that's how the game rolls, but if you have that on hand, it'll give you more things to do while you explore Hyrule.

You really want to do that stretch of the main quest early, because it'll take you to how to upgrade your inventory slots and Runes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Turn off the HUD. It will force you to pay attention to the game world.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t be afraid to go to Hyrule Castle early, especially after you get comfortable with killing guardians. You can get in and out without having to kill Gannon and there’s lots of good gear and stuff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bust Rodd posted:

The game isn’t linear, and neither are the rewards. If something seems crazy hard just leave it alone/run. No rewards in the game are worth stressing over or dying a hundred times.

Don’t worry about weapon durability. Ever. You’ll be fine, the game throws weapons at you like ammo in a shooter.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The best advice for experiencing BOTW is to just play the game however you feel like and ignore any advice or information.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
There isn't really any "post-game" content to rush to get to so just screw around until you're bored and then go punch Gannon in the face.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rolo posted:

Don’t worry about weapon durability. Ever. You’ll be fine, the game throws weapons at you like ammo in a shooter.

Yeah, worry about Korok seeds instead, because your inventory capacity is garbage, and it needs expanding ASAP.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Turn off the HUD. It will force you to pay attention to the game world.

I would argue do the opposite because the Gameworld if unnecessarily huge and while pretty it's barren as gently caress.

I only had fun once I started skipping every trash fight because weapon durability is a cancer and you'd enter combat with nice things and leave with ten wooden clubs

Rolo posted:

It sure does throw wooden clubs at you constantly

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Also buy a Labo VR starter kit and play the whole game in VR :q:

In all seriousness though I gave it a try and while I wouldn't play it all in VR, I do recommend just checking it out briefly for ten minutes to get a sense of scale; the Divine Beasts feel majestic, the mountains really tall, and Hinoxes terrifyingly huge. And as I mentioned the other day, using the Wind Pedal when gliding up high or triggering Revali's Gale is cute and makes you feel more airborne.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Len posted:

I would argue do the opposite because the Gameworld if unnecessarily huge and while pretty it's barren as gently caress.

I only had fun once I started skipping every trash fight because weapon durability is a cancer and you'd enter combat with nice things and leave with ten wooden clubs

It sure does throw wooden clubs at you constantly

That's when you throw the wooden club back :black101:

Also

American McGay posted:

The best advice for experiencing BOTW is to just play the game however you feel like and ignore any advice or information.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
All of this advice is fairly terrible, just play the game, it's incredibly made. Follow the cues and hints it gives you about where to go for the first few hours and then go hog wild.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

You can do whatever you want and succeed in botw, but there are certain things that are intended for exploration that you only get by following the early narrative. Once you upgrade your tablet and get a rune that helps you find things, you can literally ignore the story, which is what I did.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wamdoodle posted:

That's when you throw the wooden club back :black101:

Also

But I went into combat with a flaming claymore!

Honestly though BotW was probably my least favorite Zelda game. I appreciate that it did something different but if it didn't have the Zelda name attached all the many many systems that were poo poo wouldn't have been forgiven

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cyberpunk Bartender pretty interesting so far. It's really loving out there.

It is actually interesting to try to figure out which drink would appeal to the personality of a character by conversing with them.

On cockblocking...

On how the dive bar smells terrible...

On ???....

On cyberpunk dystopia fetishes...

Len posted:

Honestly though BotW was probably my least favorite Zelda game. I appreciate that it did something different but if it didn't have the Zelda name attached all the many many systems that were poo poo wouldn't have been forgiven

:same:

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 5, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Len posted:

But I went into combat with a flaming claymore!

You're absolute right, belda would've gotten 7s across the board.

The game is nothing like the previous games, why would that help it's name sake?

The Sean posted:

Cyberpunk Bartender pretty interesting so far. It's really loving out there.

It is actually interesting to try to figure out which drink would appeal to the personality of a character by conversing with them.

Please don't, my budget is only enough for shakedown. Don't make me buy this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Name recognition is a thing, or are you gonna pretend that isn’t real

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yes but name recognition includes expectations. So how can folks be blinded by nostalgia, when the game holds nothing they're expecting?

We gonna pretend "fans" don't say its not a real Zelda? Same with mgsv.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 5, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

bushisms.txt posted:

Please don't, my budget is only enough for shakedown. Don't make me buy this.

Sorry, but I found another screenshot after I made the original post:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Sean posted:

Sorry, but I found another screenshot after I made the original post:

Its only $8 on the Mexican eshop, I can swing that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Name recognition is a thing, or are you gonna pretend that isn’t real

This.

I tried cooking things once but man was it rad having to select my ingredients from a clunky menu, put them in a pot, wait for it to cook, and then repeat a second time to make a second thing.

The weapon durability is just garbage all over

Sure there's hundreds of shrines but how many unique ones?

Korok seeds

Rain

You get all your abilities in the first hour and that's it you're done which makes exploring the giant world less fun. Oh boy you climbed this giant mountain and now you get a flaming sword that's going to break the first time you run into a pack of trash.

Edit: the DLC added in better ways to travel because even Nintendo realized the game world sucked.

And this is just me but stripping all WiiU tablet support out of the game when Link literally has a WiiU tablet in his hand was the dumbest decision.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

100YrsofAttitude posted:

100% yes. The only advice I'd give you is don't be afraid to go into the Castle. It's far more fun and exciting to do it when you're weak and terrified, than an unstoppable tank.

Have fun!

I managed to do the entire castle without ever using my sword, the only things I fought we're guardians, because you can in fact climb all the way to the top

Which is incredibly badass feeling!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Argue posted:

Also buy a Labo VR starter kit and play the whole game in VR :q:

In all seriousness though I gave it a try and while I wouldn't play it all in VR, I do recommend just checking it out briefly for ten minutes to get a sense of scale; the Divine Beasts feel majestic, the mountains really tall, and Hinoxes terrifyingly huge. And as I mentioned the other day, using the Wind Pedal when gliding up high or triggering Revali's Gale is cute and makes you feel more airborne.

I modified my labo kit to use my spare vive headstrap and have been doing a vr playthrough. I really love the way the depth looks on all the cutscenes associated with shrines. Really highlights the stunning cinematography of this game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Len posted:

. Oh boy you climbed this giant mountain and now you can do kickflips down the side of it with your shield
I think we played the games very differently :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bushisms.txt posted:

I think we played the games very differently :shrug:

I glided down them with the leaf. But neither of those make up for the 20 minutes it took to get up the mountain because it decided to rain on the way up

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can immediately tell if someone's opinion of BOTW sucks by how quickly they include rain in their list of complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I have fun climbing the mountains too :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkhaEuUfOig

One of the best "puzzles" in the game is climbing in the rain. Regions with rain are created for you to still climb in them, you just have to find where.