Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
After using the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro with Cherry MX Red switches for a few days I'd have to say I'm one of those people that like linear switches especially for gaming although typing on it took a day or two to get used to. The keys themselves still make some noise from bottoming out on the metal top plate of the keyboard but it's still much quieter than my Redragon Kumara which had blue switches. The keyboard also has a detachable USB cable and is hot plug-able which is really cool.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

General Specific posted:

This makes me wonder what a keyboard would look like with ornate woodcut style legends on the keycaps:

If you do create the 3d models, let us know? Because I am embarrassingly there.

I got my Velocifire w/Outemu browns. I am ridiculously in love with it. I started computing in the 1970s, and this just feels like home. I felt guilty about noise-polluting the shared sitting room, but my husband doesn't object. Mmmm, tactile feedback.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I got my Velocifire w/Outemu browns. I am ridiculously in love with it. I started computing in the 1970s, and this just feels like home. I felt guilty about noise-polluting the shared sitting room, but my husband doesn't object. Mmmm, tactile feedback.
I just bought a TKL02 and am really pleased but I also noticed that ringing you mentioned. I'm going to try putting some type of pad underneath, or maybe just a layer or two of shelf liner and see if it will soak up some of that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

utonium posted:

I just bought a TKL02 and am really pleased but I also noticed that ringing you mentioned. I'm going to try putting some type of pad underneath, or maybe just a layer or two of shelf liner and see if it will soak up some of that.

O-rings help with that. They won't make it quiet, but they cut down on the high-frequency ringing. Does cut down on the tactility too though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Constellation I posted:

I think out of all those, I'd pick the Hyper Alloy with Cherry Browns.

The Roccat uses TTC switches which are not great compared to the other China clones. Plus those thin keycaps are just waiting to crack over time. It doesn't look like this keyboard is selling for cheap either.

gently caress no on the Razer. The laser portion of the switch is just a gimmick and does nothing but raise cost. What is interesting about it is that because of it's design (each key has their own stabilizer), it'll feel different than all the Cherry MX/clones out there. With Razer's quality control and pricing though, just avoid it.

As for Cherry Red' feeling mushy, it might just be that you don't like linears. Cherry Browns are tactile, but only a little bit. To be honest that tactility would probably feel like a kinda scratchy Cherry Red during the tactile bump.

Took your advice and went with the Cherry Brown HyperX RGB. Thanks!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well I guess I'm some kind of mutant because I had a Velocifire with outemu browns last year and I didn't like them for gaming or typing. They felt mushy/scratchy to me. I then got a redragon kumara with outemu blues and I liked it a lot more but it was noisy and felt kinda crunchy. Then I got a HyperX Alloy with linear Cherry MX Reds and I love it so far especially for gaming.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 4, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://kono.store/products/kira-stealth-rgb-metal-mechanical-keyboard

Oh God help me I'm about to drop $300 and I won't even see it till September. Then of course I need another $30 for Hako Trues and $110 for the Calm Depths keycap set.

E: or do I want box royals? :thunk:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 5, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You may want to check if Input Club fixed the shitshow that was the original Kira (bad PCBs, bad plates etc), especially at $300. That case looks nice though. Tempting for people who want a 96-key.

I'd probably put GMK Oblivion on it (group buy starting next month!)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Constellation I posted:

You may want to check if Input Club fixed the shitshow that was the original Kira (bad PCBs, bad plates etc), especially at $300. That case looks nice though. Tempting for people who want a 96-key.

I'd probably put GMK Oblivion on it (group buy starting next month!)

Didn't know about that. I know there were firmware issues but I thought those were fixed. Thanks for the tip.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A lot of bad advice in this thread, you should definitely use blues at work. Or better yet, a Model M. Announce your presence with loving authority.

spasticColon posted:

Well I guess I'm some kind of mutant because I had a Velocifire with outemu browns last year and I didn't like them for gaming or typing. They felt mushy/scratchy to me.

Scratchy? I've tried Browns a time or two that just felt not much different from rubber domes, but I don't think "scratchy" is a word I'd ever use to describe them. That might've been some kind of defect, maybe?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

A lot of bad advice in this thread, you should definitely use blues at work. Or better yet, a Model M. Announce your presence with loving authority.

BOX Navies in a steel plate with open sides. Make your coworkers fear your typing.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Scratchy? I've tried Browns a time or two that just felt not much different from rubber domes, but I don't think "scratchy" is a word I'd ever use to describe them. That might've been some kind of defect, maybe?

Like I said I'm some kind of mutant or sperg and I made many more typing mistakes on Brown switches than even on my old rubber dome keyboards. Now that I think about it, "mushy" or "clunky" are better words to describe Browns for me anyway. They seemed to have a longer actuation travel distance too. Blue switches were better for me but kinda noisy and kinda "crunchy". Linear red switches to me though are like typing on a cloud. So light and soft. And they feel so much faster and more responsive while gaming.

Edit: Is there no one else on here that likes linear switches for typing and gaming?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 5, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What about clears? Mine works great for gaming and just general use

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Cherry Browns are the very definition of scratchy. Gateron Browns are super smooth but barely a bump, so kinda like the Cherry but lighter. Outemu are somewhere in between. Re-tooled Kailh is probably my favourite out of the clones. BOX browns I don't even remember anymore.

Oh and some people really really like linears but they mostly seem to all prefer Gateron Blacks

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

spasticColon posted:

Like I said I'm some kind of mutant or sperg and I made many more typing mistakes on Brown switches than even on my old rubber dome keyboards. Now that I think about it, "mushy" or "clunky" are better words to describe Browns for me anyway. They seemed to have a longer actuation travel distance too. Blue switches were better for me but kinda noisy and kinda "crunchy". Linear red switches to me though are like typing on a cloud. So light and soft. And they feel so much faster and more responsive while gaming.

Edit: Is there no one else on here that likes linear switches for typing and gaming?

I currently use Gateron Reds with VPF 1514 lube across all my keyboards. Great for typing and gaming. Browns feel very odd to me.

I like Gateron Clears as well, which are even lighter than reds (not to be confused with Cherry clears which are heaver and tactile), but they're too light to play games with. I'm currently working on building a dedicated gaming macropad so if it works out I may switch my typing keyboards over to the clears.

I actually like the feel of tactile switches too, but I don't use them for ergonomic reasons. Speed coppers and Zealio V2 62g feel great, for gaming and typing, respectively, but they fatigue my fingers too quickly.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 6, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Browns feel very odd to me.

Exactly how I feel. You understand. :spergin::hf::spergin:

I'm thinking about converting my 42-key redragon diti keypad that has outemu Blues to linear switches of some kind that are good for gaming. Any suggestions? If redragon were to just make the diti keypad with red switches for ~$35 I would just buy that.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 6, 2019

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

spasticColon posted:

Exactly how I feel. You understand. :spergin::hf::spergin:

I'm thinking about converting my 42-key redragon diti keypad that has outemu Blues to linear switches of some kind that are good for gaming. Any suggestions? If redragon were to just make the diti keypad with red switches for ~$35 I would just buy that.

Some comments on Amazon suggest it's hotswappable. AFAIK there are problem with Outemu hotswap sockets fitting other switches without modifying the pins though, so you'd probably want to find some Outemu reds. The marketing material on the Redragon site shows through hole LEDs, so that'd be weird to be hotswappable in that case. Of course that presents another problem of it taking twice as long to desolder/solder.

I don't really know anything about off-the-shelf macropads tbh, as I prefer to use QMK instead of whatever chinese crap software a keyboard comes with.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Constellation I posted:

Cherry Browns are the very definition of scratchy. Gateron Browns are super smooth but barely a bump, so kinda like the Cherry but lighter. Outemu are somewhere in between. Re-tooled Kailh is probably my favourite out of the clones. BOX browns I don't even remember anymore.

Oh and some people really really like linears but they mostly seem to all prefer Gateron Blacks

I love my Cherry MX blacks. Built my first custom with a DZ60 pcb and lubed em up with Krytox GP204 cause I wanted to see how lubing worked. These are some of the smoothest keys I've ever pressed.

I'm not a mega keyboard nerd and I really havn't typed on a lot of things so I'm sure there are better/smoother keys out there but I'm loving these guys.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless keyboard? I imagine mechanicals would be limited or expensive, so probably won't be one but recommend those if you desire.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Got my HyperX Alloy Elite RGB w Cherry Browns and so far I like the Browns far better than the Reds. It may be just how the Corsair was put together but the Brown's feel a lot better to me. Not as "Smooshy" and the the feedback is nice in games.

I'm still breaking it in, but so far I really like that keyboard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kbdfans was caught selling fake tealios.

They've admitted it and will refund anyone who purchased tealios or zealios in the past year, without sending the switches back.

Apparently it was the same source for their T1 switches so those are cancelled now, altho previous orders will be honored.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's been such a weird drama to follow because they're obviously doing damage control with fake reddit accounts and mass up/downvoting. But also a lot of real people are saying that the fakes are indistinguishable or better than real Zeal switches. Kinda bummed they pulled the T1 though, I wanted to do something with those.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Zeal does make some excellent switches. But the dude still maintains a stupid markup for all of his products and services. ($200+ for a 60% PCB, twice the price for genuine Cherry stabs, quadruple the price for his own stabs, etc)

While I understand that initially the higher cost for Zealios was to compensate for the tooling and machinery he had to pay out of his own pocket to Gateron. But it's been years now and that should have been more than made up for, yet the switches are still $1.40 CAD per switch. Slightly cheaper on group buys, but then I get ripped off on shipping from within the same drat country.

I seriously shouldn't have had to buy Zealios from other vendors outside the country just to have decent pricing including shipping for the same switches. NovelKeys really does it right with their BOX switches (barring the out of spec BOX switches from last year)

Anyway, KBDFans is claiming that they honestly didn't know the Tealios they got were fake. Instead they thought they were sourced directly from Gateron through backdoor China deals. Not really sure about that claim, but pretty lovely on their part regardless if it's true or not.

As a consumer though, I've had way better customer service with KBDFans than Zeal. I'm not really going to stop giving either vendors business since I like both their products.

But seriously, all this drama for some linears lol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless keyboard? I imagine mechanicals would be limited or expensive, so probably won't be one but recommend those if you desire.

This was asked a couple pages ago and wasn't responded to either I don't think, we keyboard nerds don't really pay attention to wireless because the technology for good wireless mechanical keyboards isn't really there yet :shrug:

But I'll take a shot. My first recommendation would be this nice simple Arteck 2.4G. It's cheap, super thin, does keyboard stuff and IMO scissor keys are far preferable to rubber domes. There's also a TKL version if you prefer.

As far I know wireless mechanicals are still rare and not very good and I wouldn't recommend them.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I haven't actually tried it, but the Anne Pro 2 looks like a solid wireless option, assuming it's just similar to the regular one, at a much higher pricepoint: https://www.amazon.com/Anne-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Backlit/dp/B07M66R9DG.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
The subreddit has a wiki section: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/wireless-mechanical_keyboards

The Royal Kludge looks interesting. And here's a wireless Tada68 that's not on the wiki: https://www.banggood.com/Akko-Maxkey-TADA68-PRO-PBT-Dyesub-Keycap-Cherry-MX-Switch-bluetooth-Wired-Mechanical-Keyboard-p-1305838.html

Both only available with blue switches (atm) though.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Percent studios (makers of the canoe keyboard) just announced they’re making a Bluetooth TKL board.

So expect that to be delivered in 2020.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA
Anyone here willing to do a mod for me on a WASD v3 board? With compensation for labor, and I’ll cover the parts. Currently has clears that I want to make ergo clears, and there are a few other keys I want to make reds. If so PM me.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I haven't used any such services myself, but this guy seems to have some good feedback from customers: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/bjy5ww/servicesolderingdesoldering_custom_build_services/

mewse
May 2, 2006

I wonder if there's an affordable switch base that would make gat silent browns more tactile

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

foutre posted:

I haven't actually tried it, but the Anne Pro 2 looks like a solid wireless option, assuming it's just similar to the regular one, at a much higher pricepoint: https://www.amazon.com/Anne-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Backlit/dp/B07M66R9DG.

My Anne Pro was such horrid poo poo that I won't ever be able to trust them again.
I mean, aside from the fact that there was literally no way to turn it off, I still don't like that the keyboard would just randomly disconnect itself from my computer and attempt to pair with other nearby Bluetooth devices without prompting. Alsonone of the firmwares would ever work properly. I'd have to re-flash it each time I connected it to my computer to get the lights to come on and then they would just stop after a while and wouldn't work again until I re-flashed it regardless of if it had disconnected or not.

Also, lol you have to enable developer mode and sideload their store app in order to program it from your Windows 10 machine, if you do be prepared for the floodgates of IP traffic from China to be opened.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I see a lot of keyboards with a novelty keycap on ESC. Why pick on poor ESC? Do gamers never have to check menus and leave games?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I see a lot of keyboards with a novelty keycap on ESC. Why pick on poor ESC? Do gamers never have to check menus and leave games?

A novelty keycap doesn't usually interfere with your ability to push it, and since it sits up there on its own no one's going to be going "what key was this again?"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also if it's some fancy key, ESC is usually off by itself for a better view at all angles.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fair enough. As an Emacs user, I weep, but these aren't intended for programmers anyway. But the useless INS key is just sitting there...

e: After two weeks, I love my Velocifire painfully much.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
My only artisan key is on Pause/Break.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Constellation I posted:

My only artisan key is on Pause/Break.

Non-Visual Studio user spotted.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

KingKapalone posted:

I backed this the other day, despite not knowing much about it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k2-a-sleek-compact-wireless-mechanical-ke

Hopefully it’s not as bad as the Anne Pro 2. I’ll post a review once it arrives...

Edit: Here’s a review: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenex...aiting-for/amp/

frogbs fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 9, 2019

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
Oh, wireless keyboards: Vortex Tab 65 and 70!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch.