Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
no diagonals makes hjkl even more appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Shibawanko posted:

I'm trying to get ahead in Invisible Inc's endless plus mode. It's loving impossible, and this is coming from someone who won on hard with every ship in FTL.

It seems like every other mission you just get into unwinnable situations. First mission goes okay and I get to the pad with some cash, second mission boom, I spawn in a room that's next to a hallway with 3 guards on alternating patrol routes, a camera and no cover. Even if I dance around the guards to misdirect them there just isn't enough room to maneuver safely into the rooms across the hallway, since on endless plus the game does not show you line of sight unless you can see the source (guard drone or camera), meaning you have to expend AP on peeking around corners a lot more.

And even if you do that, you still have a chance of opening a door that attracts an unseen guard with not enough AP to be able to run away, you just have to be lucky to get a base layout that you can actually traverse.

The game rules on normal and expert but expert plus and endless plus are pure bullshit. Has anyone managed to get far in these modes?

yep I beat it on E+. remember that "opening a door that attracts an unseen guard" is usually not a problem - while occasionally you have to open doors straight on because they're in tight hallways, you usually can and should open them while you're standing to one side. if you hear a guard notice the door opening, then you can just sit on the side and clonk them on the head when they come through the door. Also I know you were just making up a hypothetical compliant, but if 3 guards are in the same hallway, a camera in that room is a good thing, not a bad thing - are you only hacking cameras to avoid being seen, instead of taking them proactively for sight? Once there's a camera looking at guards, you can peek them with whoever's AP is least important in a given turn, which is pretty darn useful.

Other than that, I think the #1 skill you can slack on in normal Expert that needs to be strong in Expert Plus is item juggling. Every time you hit someone with a disrupter, you should be thinking "who's most likely to need a disrupter next?" If it's the person who just used their disrupter, evaluate the most optimal trade pattern for someone with an active disrupter to swap with the person who just used theirs and decide if it's worth it. This is harder than it sounds because sometimes it's just the back character running up, and sometimes the front character also needs to walk backwards a bit - you need to figure out the AP demands EVERYONE will have this turn before having ANYONE move. Thinking in this manner also helps make sure you keep your agents sufficiently close to each other - while they shouldn't *always* be that close, if they aren't *often* that close, then you're probably gonna lose an agent to a situation their buddy could have bailed them out of.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Is this too self promotional? How many shitposts do I have to make up for it?

https://twitter.com/FreeholdGames/status/1124398887777660928

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Unormal posted:

Man, at this point you don't even really have to promote itt. I'm sure within a couple hours somebody else would've posted that very tweet.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I think if you spend over a decade working on a game, you get a pass for self promotion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

drat shame i vomit when playing with ascii tiles

What're some good laptop/broken focus roguelikes.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Unormal posted:

You have to come up with a way to make this build not stupid:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

silentsnack posted:

You have to come up with a way to make this build not stupid:

Ah yes, the vermin supreme build...

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

868 Hack

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Qud has graphical tiles, though they're pretty low-fi. They look way better than most roguelike tiles to my eye, meaning that you can fit the entire zone on-screen without losing the ability to tell what each tile is.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

most excessive money in a run with little to spend it on

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 3, 2019

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Unormal posted:

Tell you what, add neckbeards mutation or a subtle goatse.cx inspired floor layout (mining shaft? Borehole? Mine cart full of useless gold to one side) and all is forgiven.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my price to forgive you is and always will be giving chimeras in qud a reason to be played as

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Unormal posted:

How is your spine?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
So does anyone have advice for completing the jungle in Tumbleseed? I’ve complete all the tutorial mountains, gotten all the auras, and can easily make it through the forest with no damage and a bunch of crystals. The jungle is like hitting a brick wall. When I make it to the desert I do fine, but most of my runs end about half way through the jungle.

If I get the bomb seed the jungle is easy, and I can complete it if I take the “no hole damage” aura, but otherwise I usually get stomped by the jumping spiders or cornered by a bunch of small enemies and forced down a hole.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
So we don't seem to have a ToME thread here anymore, but for the people that were playing my Necromancer addon there's now a brand new version:
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49548

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Razakai posted:

So we don't seem to have a ToME thread here anymore, but for the people that were playing my Necromancer addon there's now a brand new version:
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49548

I haven't touched ToME in like a year but I'm very much looking forward to this.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is there a good basics guide for Omega anywhere?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

DisDisDis posted:

No idea, but now I want some fried lizzard partes.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

DisDisDis posted:

There’s a few text files available on the official omega page that should help you out. Game is brutal though, is anyone maintaining it? Would be cool to have new balance/gameplay patches for it.

http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/omega/

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Noclip released a cool vid with the devs of FTL & Into The Breach today that delves into their creation process and how everything came together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-qkoaeGrw

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

Noclip released a cool vid with the devs of FTL & Into The Breach today that delves into their creation process and how everything came together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-qkoaeGrw

It's sort of encouraging to hear game devs talk about how something like finding the core/fun game loop can take years, and even then you may still toss out or change essential mechanics that deep into the process.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Arpanets posted:

It's sort of encouraging to hear game devs talk about how something like finding the core/fun game loop can take years, and even then you may still toss out or change essential mechanics that deep into the process.

They did a big hour-long talk at GDC on all the stuff they iterated on and threw out for Into The Breach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_I07Iq_2XM

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just picking up Risk of Rain for the first time. What's the intended fundamental gameplay loop? Chests are so far apart and there's a vague time penalty with the increasing difficulty so I don't know if I'm meant to grind trash to not have to backtrack, or backtrack after the boss, or what. Totally brand new to it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The idea is that you rush for the portal and use the charge time to explore the rest of the world and open chests/pay shrines. This has a tendency of spreading out the spawns to more manageable levels in the early game so you aren't completely swamped.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just picking up Risk of Rain for the first time. What's the intended fundamental gameplay loop? Chests are so far apart and there's a vague time penalty with the increasing difficulty so I don't know if I'm meant to grind trash to not have to backtrack, or backtrack after the boss, or what. Totally brand new to it.

You talking about Risk of Rain 1 or the newly-released 2?

In 1, you want to generally find the portal ASAP, and then run back through the level finding chests to loot while the teleporter ticks down and spawns enemies on your head (which you kill for $$$$).
Aside from the extra dimension, RoR2 changed the mechanics around a little bit so now you've gotta hang out and fight in the king-of-the-hill circle around the teleporter in order to charge it up. But on the other hand you no longer need to kill every last enemy before being allowed to teleport out. So in that game you might wanna do a little bit of exploring and chest-opening first, then do the portal + bossfight etc, and then after the teleporter event is finished you backtrack to spend all your money.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Note: Risk of Rain has Command artifact which makes the pickups non-random and fundamentally changes the game. It's hidden, but relatively easy to get/find by chance.

So if the game doesn't click with you, look up how to find it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You talking about Risk of Rain 1 or the newly-released 2?
1. Although 2 looks sick and I should pick it up sometime.

And thanks all.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

DACK FAYDEN posted:

DragonFangZ - The Rose & Dungeon of Time is on sale. I know someone posted about owning it, and it looks from the pictures like an ugly, badly translated, but probably still fun Shiren-like... is it actually worth buying? I have enough Switch games that I don't actively need one but if it's good I'll pick it up while it's $12.50.

...but I can't tell if it's "just" a bad translation or an actual lovely mobage cash grab:

Preliminary report

It's definitely not a lovely cash grab. Solid port, good controls (xbox gamepad), got the staves, potions, unidentified weapons (cursed), etc. The first two dungeons check all the Shiren notes, including warehousing items.

Monsters are initially a bit uninspired, but the "Brave" and "Fang" mechanics are nice additions to the system. Brave basically rewards you for fighting in the open by charging your skills, empowering some weapons and armor, and other things. Every turn you fight w/o an adjacent wall, you charge up one Brave Heart and your skills by one count. Brave isn't consumed but does disappear rather quickly. For example, the Dragon Sword will hit three spaces in front of you, if you're at two brave or higher. All equipped fangs gain one charge per attack. Each fang has a skill, soul, and offering benefit. The 'soul' benefit is passive, and offering destroys the item for (usually) a permanent buff. For example, the Cockatrice Fang charges in ten brave attacks, and creates a 3x3 square of poison in front of you that lasts for ten turns. The soul gives you a 20% chance to proc poison on your attacks if you have two brave hearts full, and rises the higher your brave gets. In this case, the offering does the same thing as the skill, but normally you'll see max hp, max brave, max arrow quiver increases. It does have a 'hunger' mechanic, in the form of "Dragon Time" but without the hassle of frequent food items. It recovers by 150 turns each floor, and there are ways to directly recover it, but it's generally a lot less RNG dependent than Shiren.

No traps yet, but I've already found a Fang that disables them, so that's going to be a feature. (I stepped on one right after I hit post).

Difficulty for the initial pair of dungeons (10, 30 floors) are a bit lacking, but that's also very Shiren. I'll update once I make solid progress in a later dungeon. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Okay, the second dungeon does have some difficulty, looks like three bosses? That helps compensate for the warehouse.

Edit: I'm cautious about DLC versus included bonus dungeons, I'll look into that.

Edit: You can level up the enemy for better fangs - or your death. Some interesting tradeoffs.

Edit: more interesting if you ignore the warehouse completely.

Edit: it's so goddamn Shiren that if it wasn't for the brave and fang mechanics I'd call it a shameless clone. As it is, those two things do add some significant value.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 8, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Nova Drift is loving sweet! I'm on mobile now but I'll write up more when I get home. Basically a single screen arena shooter that plays like Geometry Wars or something (with Asteroids style controls, not twin stick) but within each run you quickly level up and add mods to your ship. There are over 100 and they all have their own little skill trees and they're built for synergy with each other so 10 minutes into a run you've basically got the "holy poo poo I'm OP" feeling you get from the endgame of binding of isaac or a complete diablo build or whatever. My best run so far had my ship constantly dropping a trail of mines behind it that when detonated shot out a spiral of homing railgun shots and it was cool as hell. It's early access but the core game is all there if you like high score chasing and the build/weapon variety seems extremely complex yet approachable

edit: oh yeah and there's a nice drip feed of persistent unlocks across runs, along with different challenge modifiers you can apply to increase the difficulty and provide more score and rewards. Very compelling if you're into that

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 8, 2019

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

A friend was lamenting the lack of Lufia 2 Ancient Cave style ROM hacks when there are a million randomizers out now. There's the old FF5 one, but not much else. It got me looking for any quasi-roguelikes that were similar but it doesn't seem like a very well explored variation. The Siralim games came to mind. Anyone think of some other games that combine procgen dungeoning and JRPG mechanics? I'm looking for a summer coding project and might try making a little job-based one myself for fun.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

goferchan posted:

Nova Drift is loving sweet! I'm on mobile now but I'll write up more when I get home. Basically a single screen arena shooter that plays like Geometry Wars or something (with Asteroids style controls, not twin stick) but within each run you quickly level up and add mods to your ship. There are over 100 and they all have their own little skill trees and they're built for synergy with each other so 10 minutes into a run you've basically got the "holy poo poo I'm OP" feeling you get from the endgame of binding of isaac or a complete diablo build or whatever. My best run so far had my ship constantly dropping a trail of mines behind it that when detonated shot out a spiral of homing railgun shots and it was cool as hell. It's early access but the core game is all there if you like high score chasing and the build/weapon variety seems extremely complex yet approachable

edit: oh yeah and there's a nice drip feed of persistent unlocks across runs, along with different challenge modifiers you can apply to increase the difficulty and provide more score and rewards. Very compelling if you're into that

Seconded, the builds you can get going are insane and fit really well with the fast-paced Asteroids-style action.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Does anyone still play Sil? A new Sil-Q just came out and is quite a bit of fun. I tried ascending my first Grey Elf today. Started the game with Lorien and some stealth, planned on putting things to sleep, using arrows to kill what I wanted to kill and sneaking away from the rest. Descent went well except the arrow part didn't pan out. Lorien and my singing were so strong I had trouble really gauging how safe any encounter was so I probably killed less than 20 enemies total and probably didn't kill anything at all after about 6-700'. Spent something like 9,000 turns scumming the 950' floor for exp and some loot as I dived 600-950 way too fast. I started running into enemies that could see me through stealth and that I couldn't put to sleep instantly. By the time I had dived all the way down I'd gotten enough exp to get my skills up to the point I was pretty much invisible again and could put the whole level to sleep unless I walked into a Balrog.

At this point the hardest thing was putting enemies to sleep in positions that allowed me access to the loot I wanted. Enemies without packs or ranged attacks could be woken up with arrows and they'd fall back asleep before reaching me, it was kind of surreal.

Throne room went relatively smooth except for Sauron waking up like 4 times and trying to give me a heart attack.

Morgoth dropped off after about 5 turns and the Silmaril popped free on the first try. Nothing in the throne room even stirred and I was able to make it out without trouble.

However it seems Sil-Q Morgoth is more... aggressive in his pursuit and has some new tricks.

I survived this one by mashing on the door and squeezing through that upstairs just on the other side but got immediately pinned down in basically the exact same situation. Not sure if this is new to this version of Q but Morgoth SPAMS his locking song.

The archery ended up being completely useless, the next Grey elf will probably have 10-15 evasion instead. If I can stand next to Morgoth for more than 2 turns I should be able to break through the door he inevitably traps me behind then slam it back shut with my own locking song. Ironically he was easier to deal with on doors he turned to rubble rather than locking shut as song of freedom with 30 song clears rubble instantly but can't keep up with his lockdown game.

:rip:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Sil-Q more or less the official branch now? I heard he had input from the original developers on this latest version.

Edit: Nethack 3.6.2 is out:
https://nethack.org/v362/release.html

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 9, 2019

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

goferchan posted:

Thanks this game is super cool! I've been looking for an Asteroids / Star Control Melee style roguelike for a while.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I appreciate the effort that guy is putting into keeping Sil moving forwards and fresh, but honestly I stopped paying any and all attention to Sil-Q after seeing his first list of changes. Many where changes-for-the-sake-of-changes, other stuff was needlessly complicated, and almost all of it lacked the clarity of vision that is what attracted me to Sil in the first place.

It's a shame the main devs moved on =/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Thanks this game is super cool! I've been looking for an Asteroids / Star Control Melee style roguelike for a while.

Yeah I played some more this morning and it continues to grow on me . I just went all-in on a construct build and it felt so different from anything I'd tried before

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

I appreciate the effort that guy is putting into keeping Sil moving forwards and fresh, but honestly I stopped paying any and all attention to Sil-Q after seeing his first list of changes. Many where changes-for-the-sake-of-changes, other stuff was needlessly complicated, and almost all of it lacked the clarity of vision that is what attracted me to Sil in the first place.

It's a shame the main devs moved on =/

I can sympathize with this view to some extent, but I think if you enjoyed Sil you ought to take another look at Sil-Q. The dev assigned themselves a frankly difficult problem: try to fix the balance issues in the original game (like that literally every non-pacifist character wanted Song of Slaying and some source of Sharpness, or that some skills were just plain bad, or that the combat system degenerated at the edges like with 0.9-pound shortswords), in a way that didn't make the rules overly complicated and that kept thematic coherency. I think they'd be the first to admit that they haven't always managed to keep the clarity of rules that the original game did...but they've also patched the most egregious examples and been willing to admit when a change was poorly-designed or informed. They're clearly paying a lot of attention to how the game is being played, and trying to improve on the vision set by the original devs, rather than making their own thing. Indeed, the original devs gave the Sil-Q dev their unofficial blessing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Regular Sil is never going to be updated so Q is what we got. I didn't like the original fork much as I thought a lot of the changes were odd but I had a lot of fun playing this version. His goals now seem to be removing stuff that's never used, always used or only used in the throne room and replacing it with stuff that's more generally useful. He revamped smithing extensively apparently and I was able to make a Noldor that made an artifact amulet that granted song of mastery on the 100' floor so that's probably my next dumb build victim once I get a grey elf singer out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There's a new Hades update with a new keepsake. Anyone know what it does?