Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is a franchise where Hagakure and Soda both made it through their games unscathed so clearly Kiyo is gonna be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I feel like Monodam’s gonna have a secret twist or something because of how he’s singled out for never speaking.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'm surprised by two of the monokubs being separated, my initial impression of them was that they either live or die together, no odd one out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gonta no like death pool. :smith:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

The Setup

Taking place between DR1 and 2, Ultra Despair Girls is a third-person shooter set in Towa City, one of the last holdouts against the global unrest spurred on by Junko Enoshima. Just as Komaru Naegi is rescued from Oldboy-style imprisonment, she's abducted by a bunch of poo poo kids with a vendetta against adults and teenagers. Towa City has become their playground, where they hunt down "demons" for sport. Thanks to a hacking gun obtained from her rescuers, and the aid of a serial killer, she might just stand a chance.

Our Heroes
Komaru Naegi. Makoto's younger sister is just as ordinary as him, though she has a passion for manga and a secret dream to become a mangaka herself. The ordeal she goes through in this game is a pretty good way to prepare for that meat-grinder world. :v: All of the suffering and violence she witnesses in Towa City does a number on her, and she barely keeps her poo poo together, though eventually she gains much more confidence, passes up an opportunity to leave the city, and instead resolves to stay, first to fight Monaca and then to help protect the remaining adults. When Monaca claims that she tortured and killed the Naegi parents, Komaru breaks down, and would have succumbed to despair had Toko not been there to snap her out of it. Afterward, Komaru regains her hope, coming to the conclusion that their deaths were faked.

Toko Fukawa and Genocide Jack. Having joined Future Foundation with the rest of the DR1 survivors, only Toko remains an intern because her other personality makes her a liability in the eyes of her superiors. Prior to arriving in Towa City, she learned how to switch personalities voluntarily with a stun gun, and shows up to assist Komaru in escaping the city. Initially she prioritizes rescuing Byakuya, whom she has hilarious fantasies about, over Komaru's well-being, but their time fighting Monokuma robots and talking about books brings them closer together, and saves her from being dragged into despair at the eleventh hour.

The poo poo Kids Warriors of Hope
Commanding an army of Monokuma robots and other children wearing Monokuma helmets, these five former members of a junior offshoot of Hope's Peak Academy have taken over Towa City in hopes of forming a paradise for children, as each of them have suffered abuse at the hands of adults and are displacing their rage onto every adult they meet now that they've already killed their parents. Every chapter ends in a boss fight between Komaru and the robot they pilot.

Masaru Daimon the Hero, formerly Li'l Ultimate P.E. Though he loudly and proudly proclaims himself the leader of the Warriors, it's clear that the others are just humoring him. His shonen hero demeanor hides a fearful young boy who was beaten by his alcoholic father for not following orders well enough. When his robot explodes, a horde of Monokuma kids drags him into the abyss.

Jataro Kemuri the Priest, formerly Li'l Ultimate Art. Instilled with an overwhelming sense of self-loathing by an emotionally abusive mother, Jataro wears a leather mask at all times and actively seeks the disgust of everyone around him. When he's not speaking with a slur, he's using the corpses of adults for arts and crafts projects. After Komaru destroys his robot, he suffers the same fate as Masaru, though the kids first destroy his mask and reveal that he looks perfectly fine.

Kotoko Utsugi the Fighter, formerly Li'l Ultimate Drama. A famous child actor before the Tragedy, Kotoko's mother forced her into sexual intercourse with wealthy men, a topic the game handles about as well as you expect. Normally she has a cute face on and reacts cheerfully and calmly in conversation, but sometimes she snaps into angry screaming with little warning and the word "gentle" causes her to have severe panic attacks. Genocide Jack saves her from being dragged to hell, and though she's still a nasty piece of work, she helps confront Monaca over the latter's deception.

Nagisa Shingetsu the Sage, formerly Li'l Ultimate Social Studies. His parents had placed high academic expectations on him and treated his mandatory cram sessions like RPG-style grinding. The most mature of the children and the only one willing to put work into building a lasting paradise, this adult-like demeanor puts him at odds with the other children. Once Komaru defeats some of his comrades, he figures out that she'll ruin everything and tries to convince her to leave the city, no strings attached. Sadly, the Servant foils this, and Monaca uses his crush on her to manipulate him into fighting Komaru. As he panics trying to get his robot to get back up, it falls right on top of him. Don't worry, though; he, Masaru and Jataro are revealed to be alive somehow in the end credits, because apparently no pre-teen child can ever be allowed to die in games like this.

Monaca Towa the Mage, formerly Li'l Ultimate Homeroom. Her initial appearance as a sweet, cute little cinnamon bun hides a core of pure arsenic. As the illegitimate daughter of the Towa company president, Monaca was treated like an outsider by her family and beaten so badly that she can't walk and needs a motorized wheelchair, or so she wants everyone to think. By her own admission, she's an expert at getting people to do what she wants, and unbeknownst to her supposed friends her legs work just fine. The bond between her and the other Warriors is completely one-sided; she would have convinced them to commit group suicide as a prank if Junko hadn't intervened and taken them all under her wing. Nor does she care about a children's paradise, instead planning on creating massive slaughter between children and adults that would end in Komaru destroying the controller to the brainwashed children wearing Monokuma helmets, detonating the helmets, causing a massive outcry that would destroy Future Foundation's reputation, and break Komaru's spirit, leaving her ready to succeed Junko Enoshima. Instead, the controller is left intact and Monaca is left under a pile of rubble, without anyone but her Servant for company.

Everyone Else
Byakuya Togami. The leader of the Future Foundation strike team that rescues Komaru, he gives her a hacking gun to defend herself with, which is very effective against the Monokuma robots she fights throughout the game. Unfortunately, when the Warriors of Hope abduct Komaru to participate in their game, they take Byakuya and hold him at an undisclosed location for the rest of the game.

The Servant. Some weird guy with weird hair whom the Warriors of Hope force to do humiliating chores. In reality, he's playing his own game, giving Komaru her gun back so she stands a fighting chance against the Warriors in their hunt. When she tries to leave, he convinces her to stay, revealing that he wanted her to become a hero like her brother. In the end, he takes Monaca away and helps her become Junko's Successor.

Makoto Naegi. Komaru attempts to contact Future Foundation to get their help evacuating her, and Makoto's the person on the other line. He explains that Byakuya was meant to rescue all of the hostages related to the first killing game's motive video, and Toko demands that he not come in and put Byakuya's life in danger before the connection cuts out.

Hiroko Hagakure. Much cooler than her dipshit failson, Hiroko is one of the only level heads at the secret encampment of refugee adults. She's friendly and chill towards Komaru and Toko, to the extent that she gives them cute nicknames, but she also gives the impression that she's been through a lot even before the Tragedy. As one of the captives used for motivation in the first killing game, she's taken in upon herself to find and secure the safety of all the others, relying on any info Komaru can pass her way. Apparently she actually succeeds in that regard, except for...

Yuta Asahina and Taichi Fujisaki. Born 2 Die. Hina's little brother attempts to swim out of the bounds of Towa City shortly after meeting Komaru, demonstrating that the captives' bracelets will explode if they go out of bounds. Chihiro's dad tries to help Komaru and Toko climb a broadcast tower, but is mauled to death by a Monokuma robot.

Haiji Towa. The alleged leader of the adult resistance, Haiji gets excoriated by Toko for taking the watch-and-wait approach to the extent that it provides no resistance to the childrens' hegemony at all. The truth is, his company was complicit in manufacturing Monokumas and actively covered up their role in the Tragedy, while Haiji himself gladly participated in Monaca's abuse. Once the secret base is found out, he seeks out a secret weapon, a giant mecha Monokuma, and relishes the prospect of killing children en masse with it. Naturally, Komaru has to fight it at the end of the game, though Haiji isn't in the driver's seat at the time. Oh, and he strongly implies pretty much admits that he's a pedophile, in case you didn't hate him already.

Shirokuma and Kurokuma. Two modified Monokuma robots on opposite sides of the conflict in Towa City. Shirokuma is a soft-spoken pacifist hanging out with the adults, and sacrifices his body to collapse a tunnel leading the Monokumas into the secret base. The blinged-out Kurokuma advises the Warriors of Hope, though it's more like an endless ramble if we're being honest. He helps Monaca fight Komaru with her robot, and is similarly decapitated as a result. It's Shirokuma's head that ends up piloting the giant Monokuma against Komaru, because as it turns out the two of them were playing both sides against the middle the whole time. Their AIs are half of the Junko AI used in DR2, put back together by Izuru after the dust settles.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 5, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah, UDG is pure :yikes:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Everyone related to Chihiro dies, and I am not okay with that.

Apparently there was concept art for Chihiro's mother that was never used for a character, but I'm sure she's probably dead, too. :argh:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Everyone related to Chihiro dies, and I am not okay with that.

Apparently there was concept art for Chihiro's mother that was never used for a character, but I'm sure she's probably dead, too. :argh:

I mean, she's dead as a concept, so I'd say it still counts.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Having recently read through the UDG LP, I have to say that Monaca really is the best villain of the whole series. The game also reveals that Monaca is arguably the real mastermind behind the whole tragedy, since she built all the Monokumas and funded Junko's plans using the resources of her company. Without Monaca's plans and schemes Junko would have just been the leader of a suicide cult that would have fizzled out to nothingness.

The 45 minute sequence at the end where she's trying to manipulate Komaru into killing all the city's children is pretty chilling, and as plans go it was like a bazillion times more coherent than the plans of Junko or AE-Junko, and it only fails because she didn't guess that Toko would transform into an actual likeable human being, which was something I think nobody could predict. Speaking of, I'd never have guessed that anything could change my opinion of Toko but UDG really toned down all the irritating poo poo from the first game and then had her go through some honest-to-god personal growth. Komaru was also one of the best protagonists these games have had since she goes through similar personal growth from completely terrified clueless civilian to actual hero, which is all the more respectable because unlike the killing game protagonists she has multiple opportunities to just opt out of events. Everyone's also very well voice acted.

Just a shame about the, y'know, creepy sex stuff and the game listing from "child sexual abuse is horrific" to "child sexual abuse is funny" over and over again whenever Kotoko is on screen.

Also I don't think it's implied that Haiji is a pedophile. He tells a high-schooler and a woman in her late teens/early twenties that they're not his type because he likes them "as young as possible". That's more outright statement than implication imo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just posting to say that a lot of "Japanese" games are on sale on Steam right now, including the entire DR series.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Reveilled posted:

Having recently read through the UDG LP, I have to say that Monaca really is the best villain of the whole series. The game also reveals that Monaca is arguably the real mastermind behind the whole tragedy, since she built all the Monokumas and funded Junko's plans using the resources of her company. Without Monaca's plans and schemes Junko would have just been the leader of a suicide cult that would have fizzled out to nothingness.

The 45 minute sequence at the end where she's trying to manipulate Komaru into killing all the city's children is pretty chilling, and as plans go it was like a bazillion times more coherent than the plans of Junko or AE-Junko, and it only fails because she didn't guess that Toko would transform into an actual likeable human being, which was something I think nobody could predict. Speaking of, I'd never have guessed that anything could change my opinion of Toko but UDG really toned down all the irritating poo poo from the first game and then had her go through some honest-to-god personal growth. Komaru was also one of the best protagonists these games have had since she goes through similar personal growth from completely terrified clueless civilian to actual hero, which is all the more respectable because unlike the killing game protagonists she has multiple opportunities to just opt out of events. Everyone's also very well voice acted.

Just a shame about the, y'know, creepy sex stuff and the game listing from "child sexual abuse is horrific" to "child sexual abuse is funny" over and over again whenever Kotoko is on screen.

Also I don't think it's implied that Haiji is a pedophile. He tells a high-schooler and a woman in her late teens/early twenties that they're not his type because he likes them "as young as possible". That's more outright statement than implication imo.

Yeah, there's a lot to like about UDG (Monaca, Hiroko, the relationship between Komaru and Toko, arguably Nagisa), but I'm still never going to play or buy it. Danganronpa 3 is arguably even worse, so find a belt to bite down on, folks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Solitair posted:

Yeah, there's a lot to like about UDG (Monaca, Hiroko, the relationship between Komaru and Toko, arguably Nagisa), but I'm still never going to play or buy it. Danganronpa 3 is arguably even worse, so find a belt to bite down on, folks.

Oh god no, just pretend it did not happen.

Also, as far as I know the full thing is Haiji is a non-practicing pedophile who only is so open about it because the world ended and so he’s stopped giving a poo poo. He’s never acted on his interests thank god.

Anyway, I largely agree that UDG has some real interesting ideas and storyline’s marred by a couple of really terrible parts too. It’s definitely the worst of the actual games, but Dangan Ronpa 3 is the worst part of the series besides some of the really terrible side manga. I actually like the Warriors of Hope overall, Kotoko’s problems are the writing around her being lovely, not the character itself who often gets some fun lines and moments when the writing is being good.

Like the one with a serial killer who cuts off his girlfriend’s head non-fatally to remove an explosive collar. He’s the protagonist of the story.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm not inclined to give haiji the benefit of the doubt given the way even the games narration text likes to go "hey wouldn't it be fun if you failed this minigame and watched the teenage protagonist get violated? You know you waaaant to" and the like.

Seriously, the lp did it's best to gloss over and ignore skeevy whenever possible, but the game has multiple segments where you cut up a elementary school kid's clothes off. It's the child prostitution kid, as if there was any doubt.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Yeah the LP was a little dishonest by skipping all of the Kotoko panty-shots and stuff, but I still think UDG is genuinely an excellent story. There's so much good in it, just a shame about the incredibly uncomfortable 'fanservice' featuring a tentacle rape minigame.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SoundwaveAU posted:

Yeah the LP was a little dishonest by skipping all of the Kotoko panty-shots and stuff, but I still think UDG is genuinely an excellent story. There's so much good in it, just a shame about the incredibly uncomfortable 'fanservice' featuring a tentacle rape minigame.

I do think this is unfair to TheMcD, none of this was cut from the videos they made for the LP, and while the screenshots didn't capture every single upskirt shot, it's hardly the case that TheMcD was skipping all of it. Like the update for the finale of Kotoko's chapter doesn't hide the fact that it involves Kotoko's clothes getting cut down to her underwear, the panty shots are there too.

I think the most you can say is that it's presented all very flat and dispassionately, which I can't really fault TheMcD for because ultimately an LP is for the reader's entertainment and the entire thing that objectionable about the material in the game is that it's presenting a sexualised child as entertainment. I think they wanted it not to fall into the same trap of trying to have its cake and eat it too that the game does.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

cuts off his girlfriend’s head non-fatally

wait what

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's fine, she's clearly the Ultimate Dullahan. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I think that was one of the books that Toko was calling poo poo.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

It's absolute bullshit to the degree it's even acknowledged as bullshit by the manga and proceeds to not even attempt to explain it.

DR spin-off material is bad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So the book is Dangan Ronpa Gaidan: Killer Killer and it's about two members of future foundation, a female new recruit and her male work partner (they also end up in a relationship) where they're given the order to find the eponymous Killer Killer. Who is basically anime Dexter in that it's a Serial Killer who targets other murderers. Eventually it's revealed that the guy is actually the current Killer Killer, and he was traumatised watching Mukuro slaughter an entire middle school as a child whilst hiding in a closet.

As part of the 14th chapter of the story the girl gets a deadly collar attached that will kill her somehow, so the solution the guy comes up with is to cut her head off, remove the collar, and reattach her head before she dies. This actually works and is the single biggest what the actual gently caress in this entire franchise. Also afterwards the guy escapes the Future Foundation who now know he's the villain, in clear loving sight mind you, sneaks back to where they first met and waits to abduct her for an eventual murder suicide, which she agrees to because she's crazy too.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 5, 2019

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Who kills the Killer Killer

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

So the book is Dangan Ronpa Gaidan: Killer Killer and it's about two members of future foundation, a female new recruit and her male work partner (they also end up in a relationship) where they're given the order to find the eponymous Killer Killer. Who is basically anime Dexter in that it's a Serial Killer who targets other murderers. Eventually it's revealed that the guy is actually the current Killer Killer, and he was traumatised watching Mukuro slaughter an entire middle school as a child whilst hiding in a closet.

As part of the 14th chapter of the story the girl gets a deadly collar attached that will kill her somehow, so the solution the guy comes up with is to cut her head off, remove the collar, and reattach her head before she dies. This actually works and is the single biggest what the actual gently caress in this entire franchise. Also afterwards the guy escapes the Future Foundation who now know he's the villain, in clear loving sight mind you, sneaks back to where they first met and waits to abduct her for an eventual murder suicide, which she agrees to because she's crazy too.

:psyduck:

Alright.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

goblin week posted:

Who kills the Killer Killer

The Second Killer Killer, which is actually a thing in the book. The actual end of the story is that it turns out there's been two Killer Killers, both traumatised by Mukuro at the same time, and it ends with the one we've been following surviving.

Oh, so the way she survives isn't even surgery, he just cuts her head so perfectly that it flies straight up, he removes the collar, the head lands back on her body and immediately re-attaches because I dunno loving bullshit luck. Also the entire reason they need to do this is because the collar will explode after a period of time if she isn't dead, so he takes both options at the same time in some bizarre magical murder trick. It is an absolutely bizarre story and the actual reason it's even relevant is because it's a) the most bizarre thing in the entire franchise and b) actually a prequel to Dangan Ronpa 3 with a lot of the new characters in it. Most notably the edgelord and our boy Juzo.

Basically all the Dangan Ronpa Side Stories are batshit crazy town levels of ridiculous, this one just stuck in my head most. There's also one about Byakuya's older sister being his secretary in the new world, and one about Kyouko investigating some truly bizarre cases. I honestly don't know what else they've done but they're all pretty dire and crazy.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 5, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh, so the way she survives isn't even surgery, he just cuts her head so perfectly that it flies straight up, he removes the collar, the head lands back on her body and immediately re-attaches because I dunno loving bullshit luck.

What the actual gently caress

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rarity posted:

What the actual gently caress

I can post the untranslated pages if people want, I'm not even loving joking here. Oh, also the chapter starts with the main character stabbing himself to stab the other Killer Killer behind him. Straight up Seppuku style gut stab that causes a giant spray of blood out of them both.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 5, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the gently caress? I didn't know the side novels were so loving amazing. I love Danganronpa more now

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Second Killer Killer, which is actually a thing in the book. The actual end of the story is that it turns out there's been two Killer Killers, both traumatised by Mukuro at the same time, and it ends with the one we've been following surviving.

Making a goof that turns out to be real is the worst feeling on earth

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I wish I remembered whatever it was that I saw where someone made a cut so clean the two separated halves were just reattached perfectly after, because it made sure I didn't even pause at reading that survival explanation.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 5, 2019

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

McTimmy posted:

I wish I remembered whatever it was that I saw where someone made a cut so clean the two separated halves were just reattached perfectly after, because it made sure I didn't even pause at reading that survival explanation.

Rurouni Kenshin

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many Danganronpa spin-offs are there?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many Danganronpa spin-offs are there?

Far too many, but the ones that kind of actually matter are the 2 additional visual novels in the games: Dangan Ronpa IF (in SDR2) which is an au of the first game with Mukuro as the protagonist for a few reasons, it's where a lot of the love for Mukuro comes from; and Ultra Despair Hagakure (in UDG), a story focused on the awful character himself, I believe it's actually kind of not bad but have no knowledge of what's in it. Then there's the 4 published novels: Dangan Ronpa Zero which is a bunch of stuff about the very start of the Tragedy; Dangan Ronpa Gaiden: Killer Killer which is the batshit crazy mess I've been discussing; Dangan Ronpa Kirigiri which is of course about Kyouko's past; and Dangan Ronpa: Togami, about Byakuya dealing with the future foundation and his older sister.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 5, 2019

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Don't forget the spin off manga available in English: an adaptation of the second game from Nagito's point of view, where everything is drawn really weirdly; and a manga adaptation of the anime adaptation of the first game, which is a better adaptation of the game than the anime was.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh, so the way she survives isn't even surgery, he just cuts her head so perfectly that it flies straight up, he removes the collar, the head lands back on her body and immediately re-attaches because I dunno loving bullshit luck.

I'm not sure if this is more or less ridiculous than Mondo butter. But I'm going to tentatively say yes, it definitely is.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I can post the untranslated pages if people want, I'm not even loving joking here. Oh, also the chapter starts with the main character stabbing himself to stab the other Killer Killer behind him. Straight up Seppuku style gut stab that causes a giant spray of blood out of them both.

Post it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not sure if this is more or less ridiculous than Mondo butter. But I'm going to tentatively say yes, it definitely is.

Post it.

If OP is okay with it yeah I can post some of the pages from chapter 14.

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!

Solitair posted:

The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Story So Far, Part 3: The Kids Are Alright

Well, I'm glad I stopped reading McD's LP of that game right after Kotoko's backstory was introduced. I figured after reading through three horrible child abuse stories, I was done. I'm hoping this game will be a better ride than UDG, but the child-size Monobears do worry me.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hey hey, The McD recently finished covering Danganronpa 3 in their thread and nobody was happy with the final result. Let's rub some salt in those wounds!

Instead of making another game, Kodaka decided that the story of Hope's Peak Academy could only be concluded with an anime. Made by Studio Lerche under the direction of Seiji Kishi (Assassination Classroom, Angel Beats, Persona 4: The Animation), Danganronpa 3 aired twice a week, alternating between the Future Arc and the Despair Arc. The Despair Arc finally tells the story of how Junko conquered Hope's Peak Academy, confirming that it's not nearly as cool as what fans might have imagined.

Meanwhile, the Future Arc follows Makoto Naegi as he's about to get punished for his actions in DR2, until Monokuma traps him and most of Future Foundation's leadership in one last killing game. Instead of the class trial setup, the rules are a bit like Mafia: at regular intervals, everybody falls asleep and a mystery attacker kills someone until they're stopped. Everybody also has bracelets that inject a fatal poison if they perform a forbidden action specific to them. What follows is a whole bunch of shenanigans.

Future Foundation
Kazuo Tengan, 1st Division Head and former Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy. His forbidden action is answering a question with a lie. Retaining an advisory position to Jin Kirigiri after the latter becomes headmaster, Kazuo is first seen in the Despair Arc trying to dissuade Hajime from pursuing drastic measures to gain Ultimate talent, though Hajime ends up disregarding his advice. He's also in favor of covering up the initial massacre Izuru and Junko cause. In the Future Arc, he's the leader of Future Foundation, though he leaves most of the decisions to Kyosuke. He professes to be a pacifist and a moderating force against Kyosuke's fanaticism, though once the Final Killing Game begins, he fights Kyosuke to protect Makoto. Before dying to Kyosuke's blade, he tells Kyosuke the attacker's identity.

Kyosuke Munakata, 2st Division Head and former Ultimate Student Council President. His forbidden action is opening doors. A cold, intelligent and paranoid man, Kyosuke's ambitions to change the world with his friends Juzo and Chisa were derailed by the rise of Ultimate Despair. The three of them are suspicious of the Academy steering committee, but fall just short of exposing their shady activities and Junko's plot before everything blows up. In the Future Arc, he has become the de facto leader of Future Foundation and the driving force behind Makoto's prosecution, and has hardened his heart in the face of worldwide despair. During the Final Killing Game, he demonstrates exceptional skill with the katana, defeating Kazuo and Miaya in combat, though Kazuo does destroy one of Kyosuke's eyes. Chisa and Kazuo's deaths, as well as the revelation that Chisa was a mole the whole time, drive him even further over the bend; he targets Makoto exclusively because he can only think of other people as threats to humanity, even preemptively stabbing Juzo, though Makoto does eventually talk him down. He and Ryota are the only new characters in the Future Arc to survive its events.

Koichi Kizakura, 3rd Division Head and former Hope's Peak Academy Talent Scout. His forbidden action is opening his left hand. A carefree man to the point of occasional irresponsibility, Koichi is nevertheless highly loyal to Jin Kirigiri and has hunches that prove unusually accurate. Before Jin's death, Koichi promised to protect Kyoko in Jin's absence. He seeks out and follows her during the Final Killing Game, making his own deductions and defending her against Juzo and Ruruka. Unfortunately, they both fall into a trapdoor during the chaos, and Koichi triggers his forbidden action in the process of helping her out of it.

Seiko Kimura, 4th Division Head and former Ultimate Pharmacist. Her forbidden action is someone stepping on her shadow. Though she can turn into a feral, bestial version of herself by overdosing on medicine, Seiko normally has a compassionate personality and takes the early deaths of Future Foundation members she wasn't close to harder than anyone else. She grew up with Ruruka and Sonosuke from a young age, and did whatever Ruruka asked of her out of guilt for being unable to eat Ruruka's sweets. One of those requests was for Seiko to provide performance-enhancing drugs that Ruruka could bake into her confections during her practical exam, but Nagito accidentally switched them with a laxative and left a detonation switch to a bomb in Seiko's possession, resulting in Seiko, Ruruka and Sonosuke's expulsion from Hope's Peak Academy. She never forgave Ruruka for her role in this, and attempts to kill her during the Final Killing Game. Thanks to Ruruka learning Seiko's forbidden action, Seiko fails, and dies to the attacker during the third sleeping period.

Chisa Yukizome, 5th Division Head and former Ultimate Housekeeper. Her forbidden action is Kyosuke dying. Despite being quirky and easily distractible, Chisa proves to be the right person for the job of teaching the cast of DR2. When she arrived, everybody in the 77th class was off doing their own thing, with only a third of them bothering to attend class, but by the end of her tenure, they function as a community, which would ironically help Junko recruit them. She helps Kyosuke investigate the steering committee and gets involved directly when she hears that Chiaki and Nagito are in danger. In the process of rescuing them, she falls victim to Junko and Ryota's brainwashing, though Mukuro has to alter her brain in order for it to take. Afterward, she leads Chiaki to the latter's death and helps the rest of her class fake their deaths as the Academy falls to despair, then infiltrates Future Foundation. Before Makoto's trial, she tries to explain Kyosuke's rationale to him, insincerely. The attacker kills her during the Final Killing Game's first sleeping period, before the rest of the participants even know the rules of the game.

Juzo Sakakura, 6th Division Head and former Ultimate Boxer. His forbidden action is hitting someone with his bare hands. A hot-headed attack dog utterly loyal to Kyosuke, Juzo hilariously ends up making several bad decisions early on in the story. After winning multiple world championships, he retired from boxing in favor of becoming Hope's Peak's Head of Security, a position from which he beats and berates Hajime for trying to get into the main building, the final straw that convinces Hajime to take talent surgery. During Junko's uprising, she blackmails him into covering up her actions, revealing that he has a crush on Kyosuke and threatening to expose that secret. During the Future Arc, he beats Makoto before the Final Killing Game begins, then beats Ryota afterwards, which kills Daisaku. He spends most of the game trying to fight people on Kyosuke's behalf, but because he has to use improvised weapons he is less than successful. Kyosuke stabs him before he can confess his love for Kyosuke, but he survives and severs his own hand to get his bracelet off. Thanks to this, he saves Makoto from suicide and shuts down the machinery that powers the game, dying before Kyosuke can apologize to him.

Miaya Gekkogahara, 7th Division Head and former Ultimate Therapist. Her forbidden action is allegedly turning right, though she can commit that action with no consequence. Despite her occupation, Miaya is so shy she cannot speak directly to people, and must do so through Usami Monomi using a wheelchair with a monitor. Her work, along with Yasuke's and Alter Ego's, was instrumental to the creation of the Neo World Program used in Danganronpa 2. She was also murdered by Monaca Towa before the events of the Future Arc and replaced with a remote-controlled android duplicate. The duplicate assists Makoto and Hina in evading attacks from those who wanted to kill them, packing several weapon systems like portable missles. Kyosuke ultimately destroys the android in a duel.

Ruruka Ando, 8th Division Head and former Ultimate Confectioner. Her forbidden action is anyone leaving the playing field. The only Danganronpa character who can rival Hiyoko in terms of loathsomeness, Ruruka thinks nothing of using her friends and throwing them away when they stop being useful. She met Seiko and Sonosuke at a young age, and was always disappointed that Seiko couldn't eat her sweets because of the medicine Seiko took. Because she couldn't have known that Nagito was the cause of her expulsion, she also blamed Seiko for that. After surviving Seiko's attack, she kills Sonosuke out of fear that he'll eventually betray her, as he was on the cusp of discovering what she thought was an exit, and mocks up his body to make it look like the attacker did it, though Kyoko figures her out. Despite barricading herself in before the fourth sleeping period, the attacker brutally murders her anyway, and she dies alone, unmourned and unloved.

Sonosuke Izayoi, 9th Division Head and former Ultimate Blacksmith. His forbidden action is letting food enter his mouth. Ruruka's lover and loyal servant, Sonosuke aids her by creating traps and throwing kunai. One of their favorite ways of expressing affection is for Ruruka to feed him sweets, which he refuses once the Final Killing Game starts. After they fight off Seiko, they find a place to make out, and Ruruka uses that kiss to sneak some sugar into his mouth, as she'd figured out his forbidden action at that point and wants him dead. Despite this, he accepts her reasons and reaffirms his love for her before dying.

Ryota Mitarai, 10th Division Head and former Ultimate Animator. His forbidden action is utilizing his talent. A timid, anxious, worrywart obsessed with creating an anime that can change the world, Ryota spends so much time holed up at home working that the Ultimate Impostor has to cover for him in class. This isolation makes it easy for Junko to hold him captive, and when she discovers that he's determined how to forcibly evoke emotions and change people's minds with audiovisual tricks, she uses that technology to brainwash Mikan and plans to use it on many other people, too. His attempt to escape just ends up delivering Chisa into Junko's clutches, and she ends up taunting him for the essential role he played in her plan, breaking his spirit. To be fair, if I had developed brainwashing technology without ever considering the unethical uses of said technology, and then it got used unethically, I'd also hate myself for being such a colossal gently caress-up. He spends the Final Killing Game at Kyoko's side, envious of her and Makoto's resolve, until Kyoko's apparent death, and resolves to act once the game ends and he receives a message from Kazuo.

Daisaku Bandai, 11th Division Head and former Ultimate Farmer. His forbidden action is witnessing violence between participants. More gimmick than man, Daisaku has no lips, speaks with a young girl's voice, and makes up meaningless proverbs for fun. Everyone else has more going on than him, so he's an easy choice to demonstrate the lethality of committing a forbidden action.

Great Gozu, 12th Division Head and former Ultimate Wrestler. His forbidden action is getting pinned for a three-count. An honorable man who never takes off his mask, in keeping with luchadore tradition, Gozu serves as Kazuo's bodyguard and butts heads with Juzo prior to Makoto's scheduled trial. Of all the senior members of Future Foundation leadership, he has perhaps the strongest faith in Makoto's potential to aid reconstruction, and thus protects him during the initial stage of the Final Killing Game. Sadly, the attacker kills him during the second sleeping period.

Kyoko Kirigiri, 14th Division Head and Ultimate Detective. Her forbidden action is Makoto surviving four sleeping periods. During the Final Killing Game, Kyoko spends most of her time investigating the corpses of the people who died and looking for tricks behind its mechanisms. She deduces that Ruruka killed Sonosuke and made it look like the attacker's work, going so far as to taste his saliva for traces of sugar. When she reunites with Makoto, she does her best to strengthen his resolve, knowing that her forbidden action will trigger soon. He, Ryota and Hina wake up to find her poisoned and seemingly dead.

Aoi Asahina, 13th Division Member and Ultimate Swimming Pro. Her forbidden action is getting hit with a punch or kick. Whoever the actual 13th Division leader is, they can't be bothered to attend Makoto's trial and thus send Hina in their place. She discovers the bodies of some security guards moments before every officer is put to sleep and the Final Killing Game begins. She spends the game at Makoto's side, carrying him through the hallway and doing her best to ward off attacks on them despite the risk of triggering her forbidden action. During the second sleeping period, Monaca uses Miaya to plant fake blood and a fake knife on Hina as a prank. She's actually fine, and remains so for the rest of the arc.

Makoto Naegi, 14th Division Member and Ultimate Hope. His forbidden action is running in the halls. The subject of much suspicion from Future Foundation because of his actions hiding and rehabilitating the Remnants of Despair, this suspicion only grows at the beginning of the Final Killing Game, as most of the council suspects him to be the attacker. He and his allies spend much of the game running from Kyosuke and Juzo, who want him dead, but he's committed to defusing the conflict between them, going so far as to broadcast his forbidden action over the intercom. At the end of the game, he tricks Kyosuke into hearing him out and convinces him to mourn Chisa and people like her instead of judging everybody prematurely because of her deception.

Yasuhiro Hagakure, 14th Division Member and Ultimate Clairvoyant. Though the Future Arc OP counts him as a participant in the Final Killing Game, he really isn't, getting no bracelet and being locked out of the building as drones take shots at him. Such is his lot in life.

Other Characters
Chiaki Nanami, the Ultimate Gamer. Early on in her semester, Chiaki encounters and befriends Hajime, pointing out that his lack of talent gives him a flexibility in life that he can never have. Her video games play a part in getting the students in her class to bond, and her continued, offscreen organization of social events made her a prominent and popular figure in that class. She still worries about Hajime, especially when the Reserve Course begins rioting, and finds him looking and acting very different in pursuit of the missing Mikan. She rallies the class to rescue Chisa, but thanks to Mikan and Chisa's betrayal, she's subjected to a brutal execution, subjected to a death-march through a trap-filled hallway. Video of her death was used to brainwash her classmates, and the Neo World Program created a facsimile of her to aid in their rehabilitation.

Hajime Hinata/Izuru Kamukura, the Ultimate Hope. Hajime's insecurities about being stuck in the Reserve Course start early, not helped by witnessing the strife between Natsuki Kuzuryu and Sato before they both get killed. Though he connects the dots on the incident, he can't get through to the main course, and Juzo convinces him to take experimental talent surgery. Once his name and personality change, Junko recruits him to the cause of despair with the promise of unpredictability, and he causes the student council to kill each other, seeing promise in Junko's words thanks to one of them almost drawing a bead on him. Though he maintains an apathetic demeanor for most of the time he follows Junko's orders, his facade cracks when he watches Chiaki die, and he takes her hairpin as a keepsake, parting ways with Junko in short order. Even after his rehabilitation in the Neo World Program, elements of Izuru remain in Hajime.

Monaca Towa, the Successor to Junko Enoshima. Halfway through the Final Killing Game, Komaru and Toko hunt down Monaca, tipped off that she's up to something, upon which Monaca immediately surrenders. She confesses that she no longer cares about hope or despair; Nagito's mentorship and repellant personality made her sick of the whole dichotomy. Instead, she becomes a space NEET, but tells Komaru that one of Makoto's friends will die before taking off in her rocket van.

Junko Enoshima, the Ultimate Despair. So Junko's plan is as follows:
-Break into the compound where Izuru resides and convince him to try out her worldview.
-Find Ryota by sheer coincidence and use his brainwashing technology for her own purposes.
-Stage the student council massacre and leak footage to the Reserve Course, along with news of Izuru's existence and reminders that they're just disposable revenue sources for the school.
-I think Danganronpa Zero goes here?
-Rely on Izuru to protect her from Nagito with a gun.
-Execute Chiaki.
-Get Chiaki's class in one place and brainwash them with the execution video.
-Brainwash the Reserve Course students into committing mass suicide.
-Execute Jin Kirigiri.
-Join her class in barricading themselves in the main building, erase their memories and trick them into killing each other.
-????
-Despair!

There are more characters than I listed above, of course, including but not limited to all the other classmates from DR2, Komaru, Toko, Byakuya, Mukuro, and Kyoko's father, but they're pretty much unchanged from how we knew them from previous titles and this update is long enough as it is.

Anyway, the secrets to the Final Killing Game is that the entrance is fake and the entire building they're trapped in is an underwater replica. Also, there's no single attacker; instead, whoever falls asleep closest to a monitor gets woken up and brainwashed by a video into killing themselves. In Makoto's case, he's tormented by the students who died in DR1, and would have killed himself if not for Juzo's intervention. Kazuo was the mastermind, and the entire game was engineered to push Ryota into broadcasting a hope brainwashing video to the entire world, though he didn't intend for Ryota to be there when the game started. Ryota goes through with it, brainwashing all of Future Foundation's military force to keep anyone from stopping him, but Hajime and the other reformed Remnants of Despair (he managed to resuscitate them all) break through the blockade and convince him not to rob humanity of their free will and not hate himself and stuff.

Oh, and Kyoko found some medicine Seiko made that causes the bracelet's poison to make her comatose instead of dead, allowing Mikan to resuscitate her. Makoto goes on to rebuild Hope's Peak Academy and become its new headmaster, with no guarantee whatsoever that someone else like Junko won't come around and gently caress everything up again. Liberals, am I right?

I hope you enjoyed no moral theater! Will Makoto's last act of blind optimism pay off? Will it blow up in his face? Will any of these recaps have any relevance whatsoever to V3? Let's find out eventually!

Solitair fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 5, 2023

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Never mind the bollocks, regular updates will resume on Friday, which is going to be my update day from now on.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
DR3 mostly exists to confuse people trying to talk about it and/or V3 too close together. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everyone from DR2 is less abrasive in DR3 for some reason. Hiyoko is less rude, even before the class comes together, Mahiru isn't all "Jeez, all you guys are unreliable", Sonia is nicer to Souda by the end, etc.

At least the last one could be considered something as a result from the events of DR2, but she still disliked him quite a bit even in the late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Solitair posted:

Never mind the bollocks, regular updates will resume on Friday, which is going to be my update day from now on.

Hey, are you okay with me sharing some of the panels I’ve mentioned from Killer Killer?

Also, no discussion of Dangan Ronpa 3 is complete without mentioning how Our Boy Juzo was a true hero who nobody could even remotely control.