Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Chryssalid terror missions, you say?

Good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
OG XCOM had realistic expectations of how many people you were going to save considering how many explosive munitions they gave you at the very start. :v:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I remember one time in OG X-COM, one of my guys was in the middle of a big open field and I had him set up for reaction fire. I was going to get the drop on that loving chrysalid.

End turn

Enemy Movement

I hear something that sounds like chrysalid footsteps but nothing is reviled.

My turn. Still don't see anything. Make my guy turn around to look behind him.

Chrysalid is on the square right next to him. It had used all of it's TU to get with in striking range, but couldn't attack.

My guy unloaded the full clip in that thing. I gave him the next mission off.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just noticed on the Steam store that The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is on sale for $3, if anyone wants to take them up.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Nordick posted:

Chryssalid terror missions, you say?

Good!

Listen, that single surviving civilian is gonna give a tearful statement at a press conference and the media is gonna eat that poo poo up. It's fine. Let the shadowy government dudes take care of the rest. Condolences on your casualties, they will be remembered, et cetera. Replacement soldiers will be arriving shortly.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Listen, that single surviving civilian is gonna give a tearful statement at a press conference and the media is gonna eat that poo poo up. It's fine. Let the shadowy government dudes take care of the rest. Condolences on your casualties, they will be remembered, et cetera. Replacement soldiers will be arriving shortly.

That civilian is going to go on to become a superhero. This mission was his origin story / tragic past.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just noticed on the Steam store that The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is on sale for $3, if anyone wants to take them up.

If you do make sure to try to convince the Outsider to help you peacefully instead of torture him

The Bureau is a mishmash of five plots badly stitched together but in spite of that it's still pretty fun to play and it does some interesting things with its setting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really wish Bureau had had less of a rough development because the core of a genuinely great game rather than a janky but fun one is definitely within it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The combat is Mass Effect 3 style and the powers are pretty fun. I think Bureau is mostly good for those great early trailers tho.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Night10194 posted:

I really wish Bureau had had less of a rough development because the core of a genuinely great game rather than a janky but fun one is definitely within it.

correct evaluation imo

all the people who cried about the purity of the xcom brand and what xcom is at the time clearly did not remember Enforcer

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The purity of Xcom games that were good :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Coolguye posted:

correct evaluation imo

all the people who cried about the purity of the xcom brand and what xcom is at the time clearly did not remember Enforcer

Honestly if they announced it like now instead of when they did people would probably have been pretty excited about it as a cool looking spin off game.

It was just a total clusterfuck to release it when they did. Especially when they decided to do all the extreme retooling at the 11th hour.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I just got reminded this existed and it's all yall's fault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhjxHQkkCxE

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My only major issue with The Bureau is that your squad mates will not loving stay put, and instead will do what you say followed by immediately loving off and leaving you exposed. Aside from that its a mediocre but serviceable TPS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Night10194 posted:

The biggest gameplay flaw is that unlike in Mass Effect the AI does literally nothing without you handholding them except flail around. They don't fight back or anything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other huge issue is that Carter only has his fantastic hat for one mission.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Night10194 posted:

The other huge issue is that Carter only has his fantastic hat for one mission.

i legit thought that was because my hat got shot off in the last fight of that mission so i replayed that loving boss fight until i had my hat at the end of it

then i didn't have it after the cutscene anyway

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My biggest gripe is that the writing is garbage. Just a cliche after a cliche (the big reveal is pretty neat though).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TFTD report: saw a Gillman standing atop some type of shipwreck, he had a good vantage point to start sniping off my squad (8 total). 3 of them are set up to storm a medium USO, and nobody has a clean shot to the Gillman, so I think that a grenade will solve all of my Gillman-related problems. Unfortunately for my team, I had completely forgotten what explosives look like in this game. The grenade landed on-target (3 tiles away from the green bastard, plenty close for a Sonic Pulser), and after it went off, there was a chain of ~10 more secondary explosions that ultimately destroyed about a quarter of the map and any associated terrain. There was absolutely nothing left in the bottom quarter of the Battlescape map. No terrain, no bodies, just smoky craters followed by panicked screams from my survivors. Blaster Bombs/the TFTD equivalent used to annihilate 144 squares on the map, and the resulting carnage from my foggy memory was easily beyond that level of devastation. 5/8 of my team was dead outright, without even a corpse to drag back home to bury. The remaining 3 (still stacked up at the medium USO door) spent turns alternating their panics, but ultimately got it back together long enough to storm the USO and kill the last Gillman. Mission status: resounding victory, new hires en route :xcom:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Using pulsars on a gillman is glorious overkill. What set off the chain? iirc grenades don't hit the level below them so the UFO should have been fine except for possibly the roof.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

Using pulsars on a gillman is glorious overkill. What set off the chain? iirc grenades don't hit the level below them so the UFO should have been fine except for possibly the roof.

In underwater maps, there are a lot of explosive map objects that can start violent chain reactions. Like gas pipelines for example. An alien standing close to an object like that is a prime target for a grenade attack (since even missing him by 4-5 tiles will set of the object), as long as you understand that you're not getting the corpse or equipment.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I picked up a mod pack that gives explosives a vertical height (OpenXcom) among other various tweaks. The other relevant tweak is if you sent a grenade timer to 0 turns, it goes off when it lands and not at the end of your turn.

Serephina posted:

Using pulsars on a gillman is glorious overkill.

The best kind of kill :colbert:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
So I’m downloading the collection for PC now. Could you recommend some mods? I’ve already played vanilla and WotC on PS4 so I wouldn’t mind ones that impact the gameplay a bit either.

Excited to try Ironman without the gamble of the system crashing and corrupting saves on Lost missions!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, definitely browse the Workshop for some cosmetic mods you like. There are some wild ones, with people importing looks from other game series, notably a lot of Halo and Mass Effect appearances. But there's also a LOT out there that fit in nicely with the aesthetic of the regular game, or as simple as adding a bunch more hairstyles. Supposedly Kexx is coming out with a pack of male hairstyles and beards soon, but I've heard "This week" from him several times over the last few months, so...

"EU Aim Rolls" is, I feel, drat near mandatory, because the way the vanilla game handles accuracy and crit chance is *DUMB*.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really enjoyed Interceptor and I'm resigned to never getting an Interceptor remake (though House of the Dying Sun is basically halfway there), but I would love for Firaxis to do a turn-based-tactics version for XCOM 3 where your soldiers are all in spaceships.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
oh boy that 'double the health of everyone to prolong combat' wotc mod sure fucks you over early on, sectoids just get to run a train over you with mind control when you can't one or even two shot them

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
We really should put it in the OP, our reccomended list of mods.
From memory:
Mandatory:
Gotcha Again
Numeric Health Display (or a variant thereof)
Nice:
Instant avenger menus
Stop wasting my time (note it has tiny voiceover changes)
EU aim rolls

I'm sure others will chime in. 'EU aim rolls' is a hard change to gameplay, even if it's a correct one; It definitely makes the game more player-favored. My favorite thing about it is once you're familiar with it, you can disable it and turn the bogus rolls against the aliens, doing comically cheezy stuff like long-range shotguns.
And uh, why is there a mod to double everyone's hp? It's a base game option called beta strike, right? I really really enjoyed my beta strike game, you can't one-shot pods anymore, but that's ok since it's actually allowed to take return fire, thank god. Solid gameplay improvement imo, with one or two minor bugs regarding spark healing unfortunately.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I've never used eu aim rolls, even though I probably should

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
My understanding is in EU the RNG was based on what actions you had already taken that turn whereas in xcom 2 it was changed to be more properly random where taking the same action wouldn't always lead to the same results.

Am I wrong about that and why would I possibly want that back?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

reignofevil posted:

My understanding is in EU the RNG was based on what actions you had already taken that turn whereas in xcom 2 it was changed to be more properly random where taking the same action wouldn't always lead to the same results.

You're misunderstanding what they're talking about. If I remember right, in XCOM 2, there's some funkiness with hit and crit chance, where if you have a 10% chance to both hit and crit, then every hit will count as a crit. The mod changes the mechanic so that in that situation, you'd have a 9% chance to non-crit, and a 1% chance to crit.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TFTD update:

Cargo ship missions aren't nearly as terrible as cruise ship missions. My main issue now is the deflated clip size for the Sonic Cannons, 10 rounds per clip doesn't get you terribly far when you've got 30+ aliens to kill at an Alien Artifact site. A few tweaks here and there from OpenXCom have made TFTD less stupid difficulty-wise than before. Aliens require LoS to use any psionic attacks, and they can only target the person they can see (they don't see everyone if they've got LoS to a single person, like before). Tentaculats waited until July to show up, right after I finished researching Sonic Cannons/clips. I've yet to have anyone zombified, but I've sent an aquanaut down an elevator to find a tentaculat in the spot directly next to them, so that was a good reminder of the terrors lurking in the darkness :stonklol:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

reignofevil posted:

quote:

in XCOM 2, hits, crits and dodges shares a single roll, so if the crit chance is higher than hit chance, it always crits as long as the target can't dodge, dodge is less affected because the dodge roll is calculated based on dodge stat * hit chance.

In short: By default 10% hit 10% crit means 10% of your shot will crit, 0% normal hit, 90% miss.
With this mod 10% hit 10% crit means 1% of shot will crit, 9% normal hit, 90% miss.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

As I understand it, critical "chance" in XCom 2 is actually better thought of as a threshold than as a probability. Accuracy is simple enough: the game rolls a 100-sided die, and if the roll falls within the percentage of a hit, it's a hit; otherwise, it misses. HOWEVER, the game then compares that same roll to your crit threshold, and if it's within your crit range, it's a successful critical hit, full stop, accuracy value notwithstanding. So your crit value is also kind of a "minimum accuracy" in some weird edge cases.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Angry Diplomat posted:

As I understand it, critical "chance" in XCom 2 is actually better thought of as a threshold than as a probability. Accuracy is simple enough: the game rolls a 100-sided die, and if the roll falls within the percentage of a hit, it's a hit; otherwise, it misses. HOWEVER, the game then compares that same roll to your crit threshold, and if it's within your crit range, it's a successful critical hit, full stop, accuracy value notwithstanding. So your crit value is also kind of a "minimum accuracy" in some weird edge cases.

it's just very literal, i.e if you pull the trigger, e.g you have a 60 percent chance to hit, and a 10 percent chance to crit

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Does the game actually roll a second time for crit chance? I was given to understand that it didn't.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Angry Diplomat posted:

Does the game actually roll a second time for crit chance? I was given to understand that it didn't.

It doesn't. It does when you have the mod EU aim rolls

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
EU aim rolls makes far less of an impact than people seem to think and the implementation in XCOM2 is really a small stealth buff for the player. (Because you will be taking far more shots with a crit possiblity than the enemy does, and making the combat more lethal and crits more reliable helps you wipe pods before they can fire a shot.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fangz posted:

EU aim rolls makes far less of an impact than people seem to think and the implementation in XCOM2 is really a small stealth buff for the player. (Because you will be taking far more shots with a crit possiblity than the enemy does, and making the combat more lethal and crits more reliable helps you wipe pods before they can fire a shot.)

the XCOM2 roll system has never bothered me

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

TFTD update:

A few tweaks here and there from OpenXCom have made TFTD less stupid difficulty-wise than before. Aliens require LoS to use any psionic attacks, and they can only target the person they can see (they don't see everyone if they've got LoS to a single person, like before).

That is a good balancing option, together with forcing craft launch (makes sense) or adding 1 or 2 levels of explosion height to your grenades etc. There are also a couple of cool options for making the game fair for the aliens too. Ufo extender accuracy and aliens picking up weapons from the floor both make sense as a balancing point.

Two things I personally don't do. Sneaky AI makes some missions a pain in the butt, ESPECIALLY if you are running them in the night. Also, instant grenade explosions seems too big of a buff for me, it alters the way you play the game a lot imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Zore posted:

It doesn't. It does when you have the mod EU aim rolls

Ok yeah. So if you have 60% accuracy and 30% crit, a roll of 1-30 is a crit, 31-60 is a regular hit, and 61+ misses. But if you somehow have 30% crit and 10% accuracy, a roll of 1-30 is a successful crit regardless.