Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

American McGay posted:

You can immediately tell if someone's opinion of BOTW sucks by how quickly they include rain in their list of complaints.

1-2-3 stop, slip, 1-2-3 stop, slip 1-2-3 stop, slip. Done. Better with climbing gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

American McGay posted:

You can immediately tell if someone's opinion of BOTW sucks by how quickly they include rain in their list of complaints.

You tell how thin skinned someone is about BOTW by how they handle rain complaints

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've never finished a Zelda game and I love botw because I liked climbing poo poo and loving around up in the mountains and one time I found a shrine hidden inside a mountain entirely on accident because I was snowboarding

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You tell how thin skinned someone is about BOTW by how they handle rain complaints

Nah they're right. Some folks love "immersion" until it forces them to think.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I was thinking of buying VA11-HALL-A last night. Been avoiding reading up about it too much too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

Even ignoring the rain complaint are you still trying to tell me that the cooking system is cool, good and well thought out?

That the lack of added tools to your kit after the first hour is wonderful?

Weapon durability where the neat flaming claymore you found getting replaced by spikes clubs or rusty metal is a good trade?

I mean christ, the goddamn mastersword, ultimate slayer of all evil, loving breaks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Even ignoring the rain complaint are you still trying to tell me that the cooking system is cool, good and well thought out?

Weapon durability where the neat flaming claymore you found getting replaced by spikes clubs or rusty metal is a good trade?

I mean christ, the goddamn mastersword, ultimate slayer of all evil, loving breaks

I kind of liked having a smaller set of tools that I could use in more interesting ways than just welp there's a hookshot point

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Of course you can envision a better cooking system, with a cookbook and all of that, but like everything in BOTW, cooking is almost entirely optional. The stealth you get from items is more than enough for each mission, as is resistances, and even hearts. As such it's a cute little add on.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I love the Zelda series and while I haven't played BOTW yet this thread has me a bit hesitant to buy it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

American McGay posted:

The best advice for experiencing BOTW is to just play the game however you feel like and ignore any advice or information.

oh no you've created an infinite loop

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Housh posted:

Yeah I was thinking of buying VA11-HALL-A last night. Been avoiding reading up about it too much too.

Apparently it has motion controls for mixing the drinks.

Yaws posted:

I love the Zelda series and while I haven't played BOTW yet this thread has me a bit hesitant to buy it.

Buy it, because (1 it's the law. (2 it's the best game on the switch and 3) did you buy it yet?

Personally i like botw for not forcing me into hours of push block puzzles. The shrines are where I go to when I get "bored" of loving around with the game. The world is bar none the best one ever created right now, with even other developers making videos praising it. Just so much to just interact with, especially with the tools you're given.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 5, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yaws posted:

Ultimately it was an enjoyable game that I ended up putting a ton of time into and finished. I have no interest in buying the DLC and will probably never play it again but it was an okay enough game.

Meanwhile I have multiple friends that fell in love with it and rate it as one of their favorite Zelda games.

Different strokes for different folks. It's just people get so goddamn defensive when you point out the thing has terrible systems and while the world is incredibly massive it's mostly copy/pasted shrines, korok seeds, and goblin camps that aren't worth the resource investment to clear.

I had the most fun when I just ran past anything resembling fighting to check out random bits. Once I climbed all the towers and could see the whole map the game became a lot less entertaining.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yaws posted:

Here is the basic run down on it. Do you like a structured game with stuff to find?

If so then BOTW is not a great game for you.

Do you like exploring for itself? A make your own fun type of guy? Then it will work for you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yaws posted:

Zelda for me has always been synonymous with exploration. If you like that aspect of the series then BotW is for you. It's hands-down the best exploration simulator, that I and I'm sure many, have played.

If you want great puzzles, it's not so good. If you want great combat (which honestly Zelda has never really been about,) then skip it. If you want a thrilling story, which again is not a strength of the series, then it's about middling, depending how tongue-in-cheek you take it. But where it shines, heads and shoulders above everything else, is exploration.

If you even remotely liked discovering new islands in Windwaker, then this game is for you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Never had a problem with it; just cycle the day at a campfire until it stops, or go for Revali's Gale first.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
The cooking system in botw is terrible... for a game about cooking. For a game about exploration, it's great - it is not complicated and doesn't intrude, but it gives you an added incentive to look carefully at the stuff around you, and when you end up in hard to reach spot full of good ingredients you celebrate your good find, gather it all up, and then move on to the next thing.

Giving you all the tools at the start makes the whole map accessible, which is great. Making notes on your map to backtrack to an obviously marked hookshot spot when you get the hookshot or whatever is the least fun part of metroidvanias. Instead you mark puzzles that you can't solve and then come back when you figure it out or get a clue elsewhere.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yaws posted:

I don't know why that would be. It's one of the greatest games ever made, period. A game with clear limitations made irrelevant by what it does right. I've had my complaints about the game but taken as a whole it's a dreamlike experience that you can play as you wish. It's a game you can run around with with your kid and enjoy, or play before bed. You can do so much goofy and fun stuff like use abilities to soar through the air on a plate of metal or trick out shrines for speed runs. Are destructible weapons annoying? Yea, but weapons are common and as the game goes on, you never run out. Is rain annoying? At least the game has weather than matters, unlike liars like Fallout 76. It uses music very sparingly, but when it appears, it's excellent. Could it fill in more spaces with "stuff?" Yes, but I think designers didn't expect a new system to be available when it was released. Other games have "more stuff" crammed in, like Horizon, or God of War, or rear end Creed, but those games are easily forgotten or already forgotten even by people who played them- they have little soul to bring a lasting impact on players. No one talks about them anymore because they are well designed hump and dumps.

The funniest thing about BOTW is putting 75+ hours into game without spoilers and then watching Japanese twitter and seeing all the stuff you never thought about doing. The game lends itself to be played very simply and linearly, but a lot of neat stuff is possible.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Here is the basic run down on it. Do you like a structured game with stuff to find?

If so then BOTW is not a great game for you.

Do you like exploring for itself? A make your own fun type of guy? Then it will work for you.

Disagree with this. I'm usually just into first person shooters and fighting games, and I've never ever been a "make your own fun" type of person. When I play the gtas or assassin's Creeds, I bee line the story and drop them as I feel they are creating the most unlikely scenarios I could create on my own in the game. But BotW is so far removed from the other games in that you can see the deliberate hand of the devs in the created world. The thunderbird quest is the shining example of this, where your reward is literally a "natural" formation of rocks.

I still haven't seen the end of the game, probably won't until the sequel is officially announced. I get enough just running around picking fights in the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Len posted:

I don't even think BOTW is that good and none of this stuff bothered me. The cooking seemed a bit clunky but it was an interesting concept and it was fun to play around with and see what types of combinations you could create. Ultimately I only ever used it when I needed a specific buff, which was rarely enough that the clunkiness of it didn't bother me at all. The real complaint with cooking should be the incredibly simple durian dish that gives you 30 hearts and kind of trivializes the whole system.

I guess from the mindset of a traditional Zelda game the lack of tools and upgrades is disappointing, but personally I feel the specific tools they give you at the start as well as the multitude of ways you can use them to interact with the environment and enemies makes it feel pretty fresh for the entire game. The lack of traditional dungeons and linear progression makes these types of upgrades unnecessary. Would a hookshot have been cool? Sure. But shooting a fire arrow into long grass and drafting up with your glider and then shield surfing away is also pretty cool.

Weapon durability was a complete non-issue for me. In the early areas where you're only given sticks and clubs it's pretty noticable, and I think that was their point. Once you get far enough along the game starts throwing weapons at you with enough frequency that you shouldn't ever run out. It also forces you to be more creative with how you approach combat. Using stealth to initiate a backstab becomes incredibly useful. Making use of your bombs as well as using the various environmental hazards to your advantage is a key gameplay mechanic. The main issue you should have with weapon durability is that there aren't enough cool weapons in the game to make it fun. Their whole point with implementing weapon durability was to force people to use different weapons instead of just sticking with the most powerful one or the one they liked the best. That's a cool idea, buy when your options for weapons are "spear, sword, big sword, club" all reskinned a different color it's not as interesting.

BOTW has plenty of flaws but none of them have to do with any of that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Disagree with this. I'm usually just into first person shooters and fighting games, and I've never ever been a "make your own fun" type of person. When I play the gtas or assassin's Creeds, I bee line the story and drop them as I feel they are creating the most unlikely scenarios I could create on my own in the game. But BotW is so far removed from the other games in that you can see the deliberate hand of the devs in the created world. The thunderbird quest is the shining example of this, where your reward is literally a "natural" formation of rocks.

I still haven't seen the end of the game, probably won't until the sequel is officially announced. I get enough just running around picking fights in the game.

That’s....making your own fun.

Which is fine it’s not wrong. Dragon Dogma is also that type of game and goons love it as well

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

BOTW made me feel like I was playing my first videogame all over again, and though it's still good now that I know how to crack the game in half over my knee, that feeling of newness and discovery you'll have during your first run is gonna feel really special.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Argue posted:

Also buy a Labo VR starter kit and play the whole game in VR :q:

In all seriousness though I gave it a try and while I wouldn't play it all in VR, I do recommend just checking it out briefly for ten minutes to get a sense of scale; the Divine Beasts feel majestic, the mountains really tall, and Hinoxes terrifyingly huge. And as I mentioned the other day, using the Wind Pedal when gliding up high or triggering Revali's Gale is cute and makes you feel more airborne.

yah the sense of scale is what makes me keep occasionally goofing around in zelda vr.

link is tiny.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s....making your own fun.

Which is fine it’s not wrong. Dragon Dogma is also that type of game and goons love it as well

I'm just saying that you don't have to be that type of person to get into BotW. Also, I'm not having fun with DD at the moment and I only play it out of this weird sense of guilt thinking about if someone uses my pawn.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd rather have abilities that work in interesting ways from the start then get "unlocks" later that all boil down to new ways to open doors.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nintendo Switch in 2019: A man must never cockblock another man unless

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Zelda is a game where the majority of players don't know you can dodge/parry and initiate flurry attacks and still can win the game. It's also a game that has intended or not intended moves borne from using bombs/shield together to initiate bow slowdowns or to jump walls in ways that don't seem possible that, if you want to really get tricky, you can do. Watching movies people have made on the more complicated or unintuitive things that can be done in game is pretty eye opening. Recently I discovered you can use a bow to shoot objects enemies shoot at you right back at them by hitting them out of mid-air but seeing people do stuff like throw metal objects near enemies in lightning storms to attract lightning strikes and kill them, or using magnesis to catch a boomerang and use it as a lawnmower style weapon is neat and made me try a bunch of stuff myself. The problem with getting new abilities like in Tomb Raider is that you don't use most of them, most of the time. They usually make very linear situations where it's obvious to use them and other times using them is just excessive and unnecessary. I can't think of many games that give you more than 5 abilities to use meaningfully or as a necessity.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wonder how many people don't realize the rain is dynamic and you can freely climb as long as you're climbing a portion that has something above it blocking the rain. It doesn't equally affect every surface.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yaws posted:

You do you but the game is good

Edit: Redbox it, Gamefly it or buy it used from GameStop and return it in their 7 day return period for used games if they still do that. No it's not traditional Zelda but it is good.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 5, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Heath posted:

I wonder how many people don't realize the rain is dynamic and you can freely climb as long as you're climbing a portion that has something above it blocking the rain. It doesn't equally affect every surface.

Most areas don't have an overhang to block the rain, so the other 99% of the time you want to climb in the rain you can't. The rain only serves to waste a player's time.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Most areas don't have an overhang to block the rain, so the other 99% of the time you want to climb in the rain you can't. The rain only serves to waste a player's time.

A mechanic that forces you to explore instead of going in a straight line, in MY exploration game!??!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If it's raining and you can't climb, try following a road instead. Everywhere interesting has a path to it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Weather is either for appearances only or it’s an obstacle to some degree just as in real life. Do people want weather to be entirely pointless? Of all the things to bring into a fantasy game from real life, heat, cold and some weather mattering seems like a prime candidate.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I even enjoyed the story in BOTW.

It had a bittersweet taste, that was accomplished with no over the top edginess. It had you laughing at the characters and scenes but then feel a bit sad about all that world had been through.

More than the story though, I enjoyed the writing. Zelda has always had a brand of humor that aligns with my tastes, but BOTW had me taking a lot of screenshots of dialogue. And all of it made me grow fond of the characters in it, even when they were relatively minor NPCs in a village.

Anyway, even though I can find faults in it, mostly stuff they could have gone further with... the game still has so much and at some point you also need to stop or be overloaded with mechanics that would ultimately sap how relaxed you feel when you're just on about exploring. I think the one fault I can absolutely agree on is dungeons getting repetitive.

Its definitely the game I think most fondly of as time goes by. I hear the ost or read someone's thoughts about it and it takes me right back. I had so much fun with it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Omfg god this BOTW conversation has happened so many times and it is so utterly loving boring. If you want to learn more about people's BOTW impressions just go back to page 1 of this thread and start from there.

I'm quoting myself because this conversation is so boring so let's bring it somewhere else.

I'm not even championing Cyberpunk Bartender VA-11 HALL-A (which is the location of the building: VA-11, hall A) but it's pretty cool so far; that is, I haven't finished it so I'm not giving a full recommendation just saying how my experience is so far.

I haven't looked into any spoilers so I'm going into it fresh. Clearly you make drinks for people as a bartender but, of course, you talk to them, as well. It's a novel game like Phoenix Wright and the like. I am not really sure where the game is going but it's setting up a pretty detailed milieu with lovely corps, aggressive tabloids, robot prostitutes, dogs that are sentient somehow and also drink alcohol. Sometimes a client will ask for a particular drink and you have a book of recipes already made and you just follow directions, but you can add extra alcohol to get them hammered quickly (and presumably have different story interactions). Sometimes the customer doesn't quite know what they want and just say "something sweet and cold" and you look through your catalog with tags like girly, bitter, classy, on the rocks, etc and figure out what might be best for them.

At the end of each work day you chill at your apartment with your cat and you have a smartphone (that works by touchscreen on the switch or the controller) and can browse the news, listen to tunes, etc. Where I'm at right now there's a message board where people are talking about some famous hacker and about how the authorities try to shut down conversation about her.

When you start a new work day you can update the jukebox to play music that you want from a list of a bunch of songs, change the TV, etc.

Again, the characters are really out there. See repost below.

The Sean posted:

Cyberpunk Bartender pretty interesting so far. It's really loving out there.

It is actually interesting to try to figure out which drink would appeal to the personality of a character by conversing with them.

On cockblocking...

On how the dive bar smells terrible...

On ???....

On cyberpunk dystopia fetishes...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whenever a road gets closed I say gently caress you officer and throw the car into second and floor it on through I aint got time to go around.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol at getting mad that no one noticed your effortpost about some random $3 game and instead decided to engage in discussion about one of the best games released.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Sean posted:

I'm not even championing Cyberpunk Bartender VA-11 HALL-A (which is the location of the building: VA-11, hall A) but it's pretty cool so far; that is, I haven't finished it so I'm not giving a full recommendation just saying how my experience is so far.

I haven't looked into any spoilers so I'm going into it fresh. Clearly you make drinks for people as a bartender but, of course, you talk to them, as well. It's a novel game like Phoenix Wright and the like. I am not really sure where the game is going but it's setting up a pretty detailed milieu with lovely corps, aggressive tabloids, robot prostitutes, dogs that are sentient somehow and also drink alcohol. Sometimes a client will ask for a particular drink and you have a book of recipes already made and you just follow directions, but you can add extra alcohol to get them hammered quickly (and presumably have different story interactions). Sometimes the customer doesn't quite know what they want and just say "something sweet and cold" and you look through your catalog with tags like girly, bitter, classy, on the rocks, etc and figure out what might be best for them.

At the end of each work day you chill at your apartment with your cat and you have a smartphone (that works by touchscreen on the switch or the controller) and can browse the news, listen to tunes, etc. Where I'm at right now there's a message board where people are talking about some famous hacker and about how the authorities try to shut down conversation about her.

When you start a new work day you can update the jukebox to play music that you want from a list of a bunch of songs, change the TV, etc.

Again, the characters are really out there. See repost below.
Does the game feel like it's on a set course or can you just gently caress around with it and not progress whatever the plot might be? I think just having a cyber bartender game would be fun.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

American McGay posted:

Lol at getting mad that no one noticed your effortpost about some random $3 game and instead decided to engage in discussion about one of the best games released.

Excuse me but the 51st best indie game under 5 dollars deserves more respect.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Len posted:

Ultimately it was an enjoyable game that I ended up putting a ton of time into and finished. I have no interest in buying the DLC and will probably never play it again but it was an okay enough game.

Meanwhile I have multiple friends that fell in love with it and rate it as one of their favorite Zelda games.

Different strokes for different folks. It's just people get so goddamn defensive when you point out the thing has terrible systems and while the world is incredibly massive it's mostly copy/pasted shrines, korok seeds, and goblin camps that aren't worth the resource investment to clear.

I had the most fun when I just ran past anything resembling fighting to check out random bits. Once I climbed all the towers and could see the whole map the game became a lot less entertaining.

gawrsh I wonder why people get defensive of a game they like when you accuse them of liking it for fraudulent reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

American McGay posted:

The rain does suck a lot as a "stop having fun clambering up things for a while" mechanic