Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Devor posted:

The earliest comments on that item on Allakhazam are from July 2002, which is 6 months after Luclin released, and 2 months before PoP. Did items typically get parsed from beta databases? Or was it a tradeskill recipe that got added in after Luclin had been out a while?

Allakhazam had a database issue and lost everything prior to 2002. Even on clearly classic items, you won't see comments or information on them prior to that. They also don't gather data from beta and then transfer it to live, they wait for the item collector being run on live to gather things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

Does Mitigation of the Mighty ever get removed during a later expansion on the TLP’s?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Bonnono posted:

Does Mitigation of the Mighty ever get removed during a later expansion on the TLP’s?

No, but I believe nothing after PoP has MOTM.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Stuff does iirc but it's only to prevent it from popping in picks and doesn't do any additional damage reduction etc.... I think? Maybe i'm making it up.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Bonnono posted:

Yes, it gets removed from older content when that content becomes "fabled" during anniversary.

Classic MOTM is removed in Gates of Discord
Kunark MOTM is removed in Dragons of Norrath
Velious MOTM is removed in Prophecy of Ro
Luclin MOTM is removed in The Buried Sea
PoP MOTM is removed in Secrets of Faydwer

LDoN and on, nothing has MOTM.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I never did any LDoN stuff on Agnarr, is it just a joke compared to PoP content if there's no MOTM?

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Republicans posted:

I never did any LDoN stuff on Agnarr, is it just a joke compared to PoP content if there's no MOTM?

Pretty much. You can low number it pretty easily, but the loot out of it is really of variable quality. You'll have some augments which are not replaceable for many expansions, but mostly the gear is pretty crappy.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Started on Mangler last night on a whim, as I enjoyed my P99 time but that place is toxic af. A few questions if anyone can help me out:

- Is boxing really required? I'm not opposed to it, but usually when I dual-box, I play much more solo and end up getting bored and burning out.
- I usually play shaman, as I played a shaman live from 99-04, on SoD and on P99; if I'm playing solo, is there a better / cooler choice instead of being boring, given that I'll only have some knowledge of how to play the class.
- Innothule was pretty dead, is there some newbie / beginner guild to join? I'm in the newbie players channel but it's not exactly bumping.
- Are there any in-game chat channels worth joining?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Started on Mangler last night on a whim, as I enjoyed my P99 time but that place is toxic af. A few questions if anyone can help me out:

- Is boxing really required? I'm not opposed to it, but usually when I dual-box, I play much more solo and end up getting bored and burning out.
- I usually play shaman, as I played a shaman live from 99-04, on SoD and on P99; if I'm playing solo, is there a better / cooler choice instead of being boring, given that I'll only have some knowledge of how to play the class.
- Innothule was pretty dead, is there some newbie / beginner guild to join? I'm in the newbie players channel but it's not exactly bumping.

- No it's not required. I did 1-50 on my Monk grouping with people. There are a bunch of groups in all the normal classic leveling spots.

- Not sure I understand this question. If you're playing solo there are better choices than Shaman, but your previous question seemed to indicate you get burnt out playing solo...?

- There was a goon guild but it's basically dead because people joined raiding guilds. There are plenty of other guilds on the server though. Check the EQ guild recruitment forum to find a guild that interests you: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.25/

- I stay in the continent chat, general chat and class chat. You'll be placed in "new players" when you first log in and that usually has people who can answer basic questions you might have. "taxi" is useful when you need a port.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ehud posted:

- No it's not required. I did 1-50 on my Monk grouping with people. There are a bunch of groups in all the normal classic leveling spots.

- Not sure I understand this question. If you're playing solo there are better choices than Shaman, but your previous question seemed to indicate you get burnt out playing solo...?

- There was a goon guild but it's basically dead because people joined raiding guilds. There are plenty of other guilds on the server though. Check the EQ guild recruitment forum to find a guild that interests you: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.25/

- I stay in the continent chat, general chat and class chat. You'll be placed in "new players" when you first log in and that usually has people who can answer basic questions you might have. "taxi" is useful when you need a port.

Cool! The second point was the I usually get bored when I dual box, but if #trueboxing is fine, then I'll roll with that.

I was thinking about necromancer, but that's a lonely life. Maybe enchanter, but I think people will yell at me when I can't keep five mobs mezzed and a pet charmed and enchanter raiding sucks.

Any other suggestions on cool single boxes that can solo?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Check out our guild "Kursed"
https://kursed.enjin.com/

Fun group of guys. We need 10-15 more constant players to actually clear all the big bosses. But we are doing a lot of loot farming now and having fun in hate, fear and sky.

Message me in game if any questions (kygo)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Cool! The second point was the I usually get bored when I dual box, but if #trueboxing is fine, then I'll roll with that.

I was thinking about necromancer, but that's a lonely life. Maybe enchanter, but I think people will yell at me when I can't keep five mobs mezzed and a pet charmed and enchanter raiding sucks.

Any other suggestions on cool single boxes that can solo?

I have a Necro alt when I want to solo. That's always been my favorite solo class. Mages can solo well. Druids also have various solo options.

Back in the day I used to play a Shadowknight and I did a lot of soloing. I actually had a lot of fun finding spots to fear kite. Throw a darkness spell to snare em, fear or spook the dead and then walk behind them smacking them with your sword.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Ehud posted:

Back in the day I used to play a Shadowknight and I did a lot of soloing. I actually had a lot of fun finding spots to fear kite. Throw a darkness spell to snare em, fear or spook the dead and then walk behind them smacking them with your sword.

Monk fear (intimidate) kiting with a Shaman (innoruuk neck) box was some of my favorite soloing before rolling a Necro. If you find an area that meshes well for it that is. Pretty drat effective when your shaman blows up everything with poison dots and doesn't need to heal the monk. Does take some time for intimidate to stop failing, but it gets pretty reliable at a certain point.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Quarm beat in ~46 hours o n Selos, woulda been ~4 hours faster but people sleepy.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Craziness. Is that typical for TLP or because selos rates?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Phinny was ~ 53 hours or something, but Plane of Storms was muuuuuuch more heavily contested than it was on Selo.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Rallos posted:

Craziness. Is that typical for TLP or because selos rates?

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to knock their actual performance, because i'm not. Amtrak pulled some crazy rear end hours and got it done. But there was also 8 picks of storms up all through the night. Pick threshold is 40. which means you need like 400 bodies in storms, spread around to not have them close.

Again, they put in a ton of work, but there is definitely something sketch going on with their picks. Idk whether its clever-use-of-game-mechanics or script injection, but I suspect the latter.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Be nice if they just made it less of a hassle to get Storms done.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I’ve seen certain members of Amtrak and Faceless hacking but really, who cares? It’s a 20 year old game, play it however is fun for you.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I made it to level $20 :shobon:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to knock their actual performance, because i'm not. Amtrak pulled some crazy rear end hours and got it done. But there was also 8 picks of storms up all through the night. Pick threshold is 40. which means you need like 400 bodies in storms, spread around to not have them close.

Again, they put in a ton of work, but there is definitely something sketch going on with their picks. Idk whether its clever-use-of-game-mechanics or script injection, but I suspect the latter.

8??? Lol phinny had 3-5 usually first few days and that was prior to the instance holding open nerf. Maybe GM’s spawned more to prevent it being a poo poo show like it was on phinny.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

What are picks exactly? I'm not an active player but I don't remember that term being used when I played.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Sand Monster posted:

What are picks exactly? I'm not an active player but I don't remember that term being used when I played.

Additional open instances of zones after the current zone or zones reach a threshold.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Anarch posted:

Additional open instances of zones after the current zone or zones reach a threshold.

And they call it "picks" because you use the command /pick to pick which instance you want to go to.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Tai posted:

8??? Lol phinny had 3-5 usually first few days and that was prior to the instance holding open nerf. Maybe GM’s spawned more to prevent it being a poo poo show like it was on phinny.

I saw a screen shot with 10 picks open, 9 of them showing exactly 40 players. The guy who took the screenshot was in a pick that showed 51 on the menu and had 11 in a /who.

If I had to guess there's a bug that lets you leave a pick without the server ever being notified, then you can go to the next pick and repeat. Pretty sweet exploit imo, wish I had figured it out.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Script injection? lol
More like lovely old game bugged out again.
e: For realsies we were as confused as to why picks werent collapsing too but we weren't gonna cry about it or not take advantage of more keys while racing.
ee: While it was bumping we had 2 raids worth of people picking groups around and faceless had at least one raid doing the same.

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 6, 2019

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
I can’t say how intentional it was, but other guilds definitely benefited from it. We showed up with AM the very next day and caught the waves of respawns. We made it to ele planes (cept for fire) by Sunday evening, making us the third guild to do so.

But yeah they could trivially solve the pos clusterfuck by letting minis spawn in expeditions, but it wouldn’t be everquest without unnecessary tedious bullshit.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Melum posted:

But yeah they could trivially solve the pos clusterfuck by letting minis spawn in expeditions, but it wouldn’t be everquest without unnecessary tedious bullshit.

Just change the BoT key to require killing the three lords. Now you have a reason to do the instance, it would flag everyone involved, and since picks are devastating to the infrastructure of a server, now you won't have a million of them opening and closing.

They badly need to take a month or two of someone's time and go back and fix all the keying and all of the epic quest stuff so none of it is contestable and it all makes more sense. Change everything to the Rain of Fear model of flagging (beat all the events in one tier, you can immediately request and participate in the next tier).

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

Hoohah posted:

Just change the BoT key to require killing the three lords. Now you have a reason to do the instance, it would flag everyone involved, and since picks are devastating to the infrastructure of a server, now you won't have a million of them opening and closing.

They badly need to take a month or two of someone's time and go back and fix all the keying and all of the epic quest stuff so none of it is contestable and it all makes more sense. Change everything to the Rain of Fear model of flagging (beat all the events in one tier, you can immediately request and participate in the next tier).

I’m curious how the other expansions go, someone told me once pos is over the clusterfucks stop until roughly dodh

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I got level 25, unlocked cannibalize and regeneration and game is good.

Is it worthwhile to try to do some gear farming / grinds (totemic armor, etc) or just race to 60 so I can get in on hate raids, etc?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I got level 25, unlocked cannibalize and regeneration and game is good.

Is it worthwhile to try to do some gear farming / grinds (totemic armor, etc) or just race to 60 so I can get in on hate raids, etc?

You're on Mangler right? You've got some time. Current level cap is 50. Kunark unlocks in about a month and the cap goes up to 60. I'd probably just keep leveling and buy reasonable gear as you have the $$$.

Regarding Totemic, the helm is good and the rest isn't that great. If you need help with what to buy/camp/quest for go here: http://eqitems.com

Choose your race, class and set it to Classic EQ and search "best in slot"

It'll give you like 5+ items to look for in each gear slot. You can then go to http://tlpauctions.com/ to check how much a particular item is going for on the server.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Melum posted:

I’m curious how the other expansions go, someone told me once pos is over the clusterfucks stop until roughly dodh

LDoN: No requirements, just show up and raid

GoD: Everyone needs to do the Tipt instance to zone in to Kod'taz. One person needs to do the Kod'taz progression to unlock the raids. Everyone needs an item from the end of Ikkinz 4 and Uqua to zone into Qvic (54 items drop per run). Everyone needs those two items + one from Inktu'ta to zone in to Txevu (54 items drop per run). One person needs to loot an item from the boss of Txevu to request Tacv (one item drops per run, but you only ever need one per guild).

OoW: Everyone needs to farm 7 signets that drop from specific named, each named has 3 spawn points in a zone or is a guaranteed spawn in three instances. Everyone needs to either have participated in the 6 Proving Grounds trials OR looted a seal of mastery from Anguish. Both of those = Anguish flag. Everyone needs a mask from anguish trash, or you run the risk of someone getting targetted by OMM and giving him a massive buff.

DoN: One person needs to complete the progression chain from one of two factions. This is 90% faction, 10% grindy tasks.

DoDH: Everyone needs to complete 4 group tasks to get 4 items, turn them in to a robot to get a key to Dreadspire. Everyone needs to be part of a group to get a Lens of Eye-Glass, which requires killing Master Vule in Dreadspire (he drops 2, meaning optimally you can key 12 per Vule kill). Turn in key to dreadspire item + lens to same robot, get key to Demiplane. Everyone needs to participate in 5 lower tier raid events to get the flag to zone in to Demiplane. Depending on guild, you'll need between 1 to 3 clears of Demiplane to get the bane items needed to be able to kill Mayong.

PoR: Everyone needs to do the Twisted Harmonic Chime quest line, which requires one person being able to request Samples of Corruption, which requires completing the Saga Skins task line which is atrocious. Everyone needs Daosheen, Sullon Zek, and Suchun kills to get the Divine Fetters of Ro. Everyone needs an inspiration from the six bosses in Theater of Blood (each drop 3, 18 per clear) to complete the Deathknell flag. You only need one person with fetters, but you'll want to kill yourself trying to finish Ayonae Ro without a bunch of them.

TSS: Everyone needs ally faction with three factions, everyone needs three group tasks complete from Fergarin, one person (doesn't have to be the same) needs to complete the task lines to request Kellak, Vergalid, Ashengate West, Ashengate East, and Ashengate North. Everyone needs a King Odeen kill. Everyone needs to finish Frostcrypt 1 to get to Frostcrypt 2. Ashengate East/West have backflags for Vergalid, Frostcrypt 1 has backflags for King Odeen, Frostcrypt 2 has backflags for Frostcrypt 1.

TBS: Everyone needs to finish the City in Peril task line and fully power up their combine signet ring

SoF: Everyone needs to finish both the group and raid parts of The Search For The Ultimate Story. Everyone needs to finish both the group and raid parts of Beyond the Barrier. One person needs to finish the flagging line and the two Tier 1 raids for Bloodmoon Keep. One person needs to finish "One of Our Own" in Hills of Shade. Optionally, one person needs to finish both the elves and the humans task chains in Hills of Shade.

SoD: Everyone needs to get Hitchhiker's Guide to the Past achievement, either by doing the group tasks and missions or by participating in all of the lower tier raids. Everyone needs a Tower Key (6 drop per run) from Korafax to raid Citadel.

UF: Everyone needs to get both Appease the Gatekeeper and Unlock the Mystery achievements, either by doing the group tasks or participating in all of the lower tier raids. To participate in Tier 6.5 raids, you need to loot and use a coin of brell (9 drop per tier 6 event). To participate in Tier 7 raids, you need to loot and use an emblem of brell (6 drop per Tier 6.5 raid). To participate in the Audience raid, you need to loot and use an amulet of brell (6 drop in Fungal/Lichen, 9 drop each from Trials of Creation and Deconstruction). To participate in the Convorteum raid, you must be in the DZ for a successful Audience with Brell Serilis raid. Requesting these raids requires doing the progression mission for each individual zone, and completing all of the previous tier's raids (Tier 6 you can just roll right into).

HoT: Everyone needs "It's Dangerous to Go Alone" and "Have Fun Storming the Castle" from either group or raid progression. To participate in Tier 2 raids, you must be in the DZ for both a successful Tick Tock raid and Ritual of Terror raid. To participate in Tier 3 raids, you must loot and use a Rusty Gate Key (2 drop per event, but this is apparently about to change, total of 8 per cycle). To participate in Cazic's Final Stand raid, you must loot and use a Tremulous Key (9 per cycle). To participate in Sanctom Somnium raids, you must loot and use a Sanctum Key (9 per cycle). To request, same as UF (do missions and all previous tier). The Awakening is the only exception, you must have all of Tier 3 AND Cazic's Final Stand.

VoA: Everyone gets a book of records when you defeat your first VoA event. You have to click your book whenever you beat an event to get credit. You need 3 tier 1 completions (only one raid, so 3 cycles) to participate in Tier 2. You need 9 tier 2 completions (2 raids, 5 cycles) to participate in Tier 3. You need 13 tier 3 completions (three raids, 5 cycles) to participate in tier 4. You need 3 completions of Tier 4 (3 raids, 1 cycle) to participate in Sephulcher. Requesting once again requires partisan tasks, mission completion, and all previous tier raids completed, and now has the added fun of alaran language requirements!

RoF: Everyone needs to participate in completing all events in one tier to participate in the next. Request requires partisan and mission completion.

CotF: Everyone needs to participate in completing all events in one tier to participate in the next, but there's tier phases instead (same loot, but different steps). Request requires partisan and mission completion.

TDS: Everyone needs credit from 4 completions of the Tier 1 raid to participate in Tier 2. Everyone needs 12 completions (3 raids, 4 cycles) to participate in the final raid. Request here is slightly different, you have to complete the story chain of TDS to request the first raid, but it appears after that you don't need anything else).

TBM and onward contain the "defeat a tier X times to progress" but my 2 second information lookup couldn't find this.

--
All in all, its a lot of unnecessary stuff for a progression server by the devs to stretch content. All of this should be replaced with the Rain of Fear style: Defeat everything in a tier to progress to the next.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How is Mangler at the 20-40 level range currently? Thinking about giving it a go.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Tai posted:

How is Mangler at the 20-40 level range currently? Thinking about giving it a go.

Do you mean in terms of population and getting groups? There are still a lot of people exping so it should be pretty good still. I am actually leveling an alt shammy right now (at 43).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tai posted:

Yea it’s pretty easy to get groups at any level on Mangler. Pretty much every zone is populated.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Melum posted:

To give a little more nuance to what they were referring to - Vule for DODH used to be a cluster gently caress. They made it instanced for Phinny, so it's no longer a cluster gently caress.

The skins saga is really the only lasting poo poo show I remember post-PoP. And once we figured out you really only need 1 person to get the tough ones open world, then have that person request one of the instanced missions where the skins also drop, it became a lot less of a headache.

Along the way you'll still have plenty of times where you'll be clashing with people to various degrees - like SoF bloody kith progression where everyone's piled up waiting on a named to respawn, or camping ground spawns, etc, but most of that poo poo dies down in just a day or two.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

After weeks of getting poo poo loot from the dragons and elsewhere one of the officers told the guild leader "let me open the DZ this time, you're bad luck." And guess what Naggy dropped? TWO Cloak of Flames (one of which I won), drums and a bag. Vox? Our first RBB. Hate? A Shield of the Immaculate, our second one after getting one the first night and gently caress all after that.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Republicans posted:

After weeks of getting poo poo loot from the dragons and elsewhere one of the officers told the guild leader "let me open the DZ this time, you're bad luck." And guess what Naggy dropped? TWO Cloak of Flames (one of which I won), drums and a bag. Vox? Our first RBB. Hate? A Shield of the Immaculate, our second one after getting one the first night and gently caress all after that.

I hate that this possibly exists, given the absolute garbage we've been getting in Convorteum...

For my OCD, did the GL also make him raid lead when he got the DZ?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nope, he just did the stuff with the AoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

Hoohah posted:

All in all, its a lot of unnecessary stuff for a progression server by the devs to stretch content. All of this should be replaced with the Rain of Fear style: Defeat everything in a tier to progress to the next.

Thanks for the effort post, some of that stuff looks pretty ridiculous