Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
lol dude on SCG stream is making his OP on nexus play out the game and just left the table and has the judge sitting in for him while the nexus player continues to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Nexus is fine guys. Not aggravating at all.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I can't hate Nexus that much because it isn't Eggs

*that* was a loving obnoxious deck

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Nexus is fine

Wilderness Reclamation just needs to be banned

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Still surprised they didn't just ban it overall instead of just bo1.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

lol dude on SCG stream is making his OP on nexus play out the game and just left the table and has the judge sitting in for him while the nexus player continues to play.

Great way to get cards banned is to let them ruin coverage.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

moush posted:

Still surprised they didn't just ban it overall instead of just bo1.

they only banned in in bo1 because they didn't want it showing up in coverage for the invitational

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

Nexus is fine

Nope it’s Nexus of Fate, the card that’s not interactable and doesn’t shuffle back in enabling endless turns.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 5, 2019

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

they only banned in in bo1 because they didn't want it showing up in coverage for the invitational

Yeah, the disconnect required to only ban it in best of 1 is insane. "Well this card completely ruins this format's playability and viewability but somehow not the other format with the same cards and deck construction rules, which happens to not be featured in any upcoming major tournaments."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What I'm getting from this is that Naya Lightsaber is actually incredibly good and it just revolutionized deck construction paradigms so much that a decade later people still can't handle it.

If it was bad, how did it win Worlds? :smug:

I sincerely do not understand why Naya Lightsaber was a bad deck. Is it because it just wasn't Jund?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, the disconnect required to only ban it in best of 1 is insane. "Well this card completely ruins this format's playability and viewability but somehow not the other format with the same cards and deck construction rules, which happens to not be featured in any upcoming major tournaments."

Eh, in Bo3 at least you can sideboard in combo hate or whatever.

Lawnie posted:

Great way to get cards banned is to let them ruin coverage.

*watches Esper Control mirror match*

ban teferi pls

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Star Man posted:

I sincerely do not understand why Naya Lightsaber was a bad deck. Is it because it just wasn't Jund?

It played 4 Forests, 4 Sunpetal Grove, 4 Rootbound Crag and a Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, so four untapped turn 1 Green mana sources. It played 4 Wild Nacatl, 4 Noble Hierarch, 1 Scute Mob, so 9 Green 1-drops, plus 4 Bolt 4 Path. It played zero 2-drops, 4 Woolly Thoctar as the only 3 mana cards, eleven 4-drops and four 5 drops.

It had a poo poo mana curve made worse by a horrendous manabase.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

he was also playing a red deck that couldn’t run bituminous blast, blightning, broodmate dragon or terminate. just absolute clownshow of a deck

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because I've been playing Magic since 1995 and my inner child is freaking out about a four mana 4/5 flier with tremendous benefits but I can't tell if people are ironically over-doing it with insulting Kefnet or what.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Maybe it's because I've been playing Magic since 1995 and my inner child is freaking out about a four mana 4/5 flier with tremendous benefits but I can't tell if people are ironically over-doing it with insulting Kefnet or what.

Kefnet should not be played in most of the decks playing Kefnet. There may be a shell where Kefnet is good, but it hasn't been found yet.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Statement by watanabe's team: http://team-cygames.com/2019/05/05/5897/

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Kefnet should not be played in most of the decks playing Kefnet. There may be a shell where Kefnet is good, but it hasn't been found yet.

how do you feel about kefnet as an esper control sideboard card?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

how do you feel about kefnet as an esper control sideboard card?

If there were a matchup where you wanted God-Eternal just for the recursion clause, then it'd be fine. I don't know what matchup that would be.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hellsau posted:

If there were a matchup where you wanted God-Eternal just for the recursion clause, then it'd be fine. I don't know what matchup that would be.

Probably the mirror match, right?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The only thing Kefnet has going for it is there is almost no 2 mana removal spells that deal with it, because it dodges cast down, lava coil and justice strike. So you don’t get owned by the most played cheap removal. I think Despark and collision are it.

What exactly does this do when your opponent plays a small Teferi or big Teferi in response? How about Vivien Reid? Do reclamation decks care about it? I mean yeah sure it’s a good blocker vs mono red but I struggle to find another deck that cares about it, and it is a big tempo negative swing vs the best planes walkers and best removal spell, mortify. It also doesn’t go over the top of Krasis or provide enough power vs reclamation.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A Moose posted:

Probably the mirror match, right?

No. If you tap out for a Kefnet, and the opponent taps out for either Teferi, you now have to spend mana on your turn answering that Teferi. Kefnet is absolutely terrible against Esper. Also, lands are good in the mirror, so if your opponent just kills the Kefnet, your average draw quality actually decreases if you use the recursion ability.

Turns out Yuuya's defense is "the judges are framing me" without actually stating that. Given Yuuya was deck checked in round 14, lost in round 15 and still IDed in, that's the strongest case for his innocence, but man those are some uncomfortable implications for the judging staff.

Maybe WotC have high quality recorded footage of Yuuya's feature matches where they can see the closeups of Yuuya's hand/deck to see if there are the markings on those sleeves.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 5, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hellsau posted:

No. If you tap out for a Kefnet, and the opponent taps out for either Teferi, you now have to spend mana on your turn answering that Teferi. Kefnet is absolutely terrible against Esper. Also, lands are good in the mirror, so if your opponent just kills the Kefnet, your average draw quality actually decreases if you use the recursion ability.

I don't think you'd ever play it on curve, but its a sweet topdeck on turns 10-45 because their removal can't hit your wincon and means they'll deck before you or get beaten to death by it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A Moose posted:

I don't think you'd ever play it on curve, but its a sweet topdeck on turns 10-45 because their removal can't hit your wincon and means they'll deck before you or get beaten to death by it.

that cool and all but how are you building a deck that is favored in a long game against esper + reclamation decks while still having a critical mass of good cards to hit with kefnet?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

you don't like it as an anti-aggro card? Or do you just mean that it should be Enter the God-Eternals instead?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A Moose posted:

A single Nexus of Fate would be a better win condition than Kefnet if you're only siding in a win condition for the mirror. End of Turn Nexus, untap cast stuff, untap cast stuff is WAY better than "play a 4/5 and get it killed or just countered forever."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

LifeLynx posted:

I super feel this. But think of it like this: if it had been printed back then, it'd still get chumped by Terror. Same thing here, except the whole rest of the format is Terror.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The gently caress is Arboreal Grazer doing in standard matches

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not stopping thief of sanity from beating nexus players with their own nexuses (nexii?) that's for sure.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Blocks thief of sanity and hero from esper midrange and lot of the creatures in rdw/ww. In the matchups light on interaction where you are racing it does it’s job.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

Nexus is fine

Nexus of Fate was making garbage infinite loops before RNA.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

did wotc think the broken part of prophet of kruphix was the p/t?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
None of the nexus decks made it to the top 8

3x mono red
2x Esper Control
2x Bant Mid
1x Selesnya Tokens

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

did wotc think the broken part of prophet of kruphix was the p/t?

Huh?

Prophet of Kruphix was never broken...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

Huh?

Prophet of Kruphix was never broken...

Then why is it banned in EDH? Check and mate, nerd! :smug:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I mean, this isn't really true. The shell where Kefnet is good (the UB Control/Midrange deck) has already been found. It might also be good in other decks, but it's legitimately really good in that deck. Saying it's bad against Esper is also kinda dumb because having pressure against Esper is extremely important for the UB deck and in the face of Dovin's Veto there really isn't a ton of options. Kefnet dodging a non zero number of removal spells against Esper while also being pretty great against the rest of the format is a good place to be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kefnet might be cool in a Drakes-style list.

Drakes can have issues with running out of threats, which the recursion helps with. And you have lots of spells (like Lightning Strike) where flipping them with Kefnet actually advances your gameplan.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

Kefnet might be cool in a Drakes-style list.

Drakes can have issues with running out of threats, which the recursion helps with. And you have lots of spells (like Lightning Strike) where flipping them with Kefnet actually advances your gameplan.

There's a UB deck with Pteramander, Auger, and Kefnet floating around that's pretty interesting.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SCG Day 2 going from all nexus all day to a top 4 with 3 mono red aggro is really satisfying to see

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

People get pretty loving tilted in the meta game challenge when they windmill slam a liliana and then you hit them with a role reversal and a copy of the role reversal. Didn’t even have a chance to wipe their board with her before they conceded.

izzet saheeli may not be the best but it’s super fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sampatrick posted:

There's a UB deck with Pteramander, Auger, and Kefnet floating around that's pretty interesting.

I played against that and it looked fun. Could use more thief, just like every UBx deck.