Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Anybody know where I can find a list of which cards comes with which faction expansion? Selling an extra faction to a friend and I want to make sure he gets all the cards.

Edit: scratch that, UnderworldsDB.com can sort by set

d3lness fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

d3lness posted:

Anybody know where I can find a list of which cards comes with which faction expansion? Selling an extra faction to a friend and I want to make sure he gets all the cards.

You can filter by expansion on the deck builder: https://warhammerunderworlds.com/deck-builder/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Looking to pick this up now that I a friend who is interested and a store to play at.

Im planning to pick up the starter box but what would be my next step?

Also does this support more than two players? Ive got a board game night that this might work at as well since we usually have 3-4 people

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can't advise you on what expansions to pick up after the core set, most factions want cards from almost every set so if you're not willing to plunge into everything then it's hard to say.

Yes, you can play up to 4 players although I don't know how good it is. I think d3lness has a good bit of multiplayer experience, though.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a Gargant game mode in a White Dwarf that's multiplayer and pretty fun.

As for cards, if you're playing with friends just get the warband you want and proxy the cards you want.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Looking to pick this up now that I a friend who is interested and a store to play at.

Im planning to pick up the starter box but what would be my next step?

Also does this support more than two players? Ive got a board game night that this might work at as well since we usually have 3-4 people

My buddies and I regularly play multiplayer at our shop. The biggest piece of advice I can give is always use the fixed placement for boards. You'll find the setup in the Nightvault rule book. It helps with making sure the players are able to get to each other and dampen the threat of 2v1s and 3v1s. Ganging up basically forces at least one player to expose themselves to their temporary allies. The player leading the charge will get hosed up afterwards by their neighbors which makes the entire prospect way less enticing. Playing with the Katophrane Relic objective helps bring everybody together for fights, but I feel it punishes players who aren't built for aggro.

Only other thing I can suggest is not to get competitive with multiplayer. It just doesn't work all that well as some factions are great at it while some are kinda poo. If you want hardcore competition, stick to 1v1s.

If you're down for proxying your cards, which I highly suggest, just pick up whatever faction looks neat. If you aren't sure, you can always read up on them or ask for clarification on the factions you're eyeing here.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I guess id like an overview of some of the factions im interested in.

I really like Magore's Fiends since having a warband of heavily armored khornate buzzsaws is cool.

I also like the night gobbos and the tzeentch warband as well since both seem like barely contained chaos.

I know the newer warbands have wizards now but do the older warbands without them keep up ok?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also release Nurgle and Fish Aelf warbands already you cowards!!!!

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I guess id like an overview of some of the factions im interested in.

I really like Magore's Fiends since having a warband of heavily armored khornate buzzsaws is cool.

I also like the night gobbos and the tzeentch warband as well since both seem like barely contained chaos.

I know the newer warbands have wizards now but do the older warbands without them keep up ok?

Easy answer out of the way first, old factions work fine. The only one I wouldn't suggest for newer players is Sepulchural Guard. They aren't unplayable, but they take a fair amount of effort to be really effective. I personally think they're kinda crap for multiplayer as well.

Magore's Friends are super fun and straight forward. They like to murder the poo poo out of stuff. They're durable aggro that can put out the punishment they can take. The Khorne Dog serves as a fantastic torpedo to complement the less than stellar mobility of the other 3 models.

Gobbos are swarm done right. They have access to pretty much every feature (speed, tank, magic, ranged, melee, etc.) and feel like an awesome mixed arms group with little squads that work together. They also have built in mechanics and power cards that let them move or attack with most of their models within the 4 activation limit.

As for the Eye of the Nine, I can't really say. I have the faction, but haven't given them a look yet since I need to take care of my backlog first.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Got the starter set bought and assembled in preparation for my first game today.

The models are standard high quality GW sculpts but hoo boy do this push fit models have some serious gaps. Particularly on some of the smaller ghosts and the lady stormcast's left pauldron.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Got the starter set bought and assembled in preparation for my first game today.

The models are standard high quality GW sculpts but hoo boy do this push fit models have some serious gaps. Particularly on some of the smaller ghosts and the lady stormcast's left pauldron.

:krad:

Yeah, stormcast pauldrons are the worst. I haven't painted any of mine strictly because of the effort I need to put into them. Alternatively, I could drown the seams in plastic cement and say the forge had a bad day.

I'm either case, I hope you and your buddies have a ton of fun. :)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Snip all the pins and just glue em like normal. With the pins gone, I found the stormcast pauldrons went together well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Alright the first game has been played and we liked it. We felt the ghosts were the clear best but according to other seemingly more experienced people in the shop the stormcast are the best so maybe we were doing something wrong.

Games were fast and fun and all the mechanics really work well together (even if the crit mechanic is a bit of a feel bad)

After the game me and my buddy picked up two warbands, I got the sylvaneth and he got the orcs and were gonna smash them together next time we meet up.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I've had a bit more time to digest things and I realized the game reminds me of Malifaux in a good way.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Plavski posted:

Snip all the pins and just glue em like normal. With the pins gone, I found the stormcast pauldrons went together well.

I'll have to give that a shot.

I loved Malifaux, but the local scene died pretty much the instant I got approved as a judge. It definitely captures the same feeling of character models having personality behind them. Hell, even the swarm chainrasps each tell a small story based off their sculpt.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Just had a fun 3-way game with my Magores vs Stormsires and Thorns. There's nothing a good aggro deck likes more than a horde of two health ghosts within turn 1 charge distance! So much steamrolling!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How are people about unpainted models? The colored plastic probably makes it more ok than normal warhammer but im unsure of what community standards are.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

How are people about unpainted models? The colored plastic probably makes it more ok than normal warhammer but im unsure of what community standards are.

Nobody gives two hoots. Even the official competitions don't care. From a competitive standpoint, the game is the to bridge the gap between hardcore table tops and board games. From a casual standpoint, tell anybody who takes it too seriously to throat your goat. However, I like it when MY stuff is painted. I'm proud of my effort on the table. My opponent can do whatever they like as long as I can tell the models apart.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

d3lness posted:

I'll have to give that a shot.

I clip all the pins from my ETB stuff and they are much better for it. The only one i had problems with was the ghost with the wooden plank nailed to his hand, the rest have all been gapless.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

AnEdgelord posted:

Painted models roll better, so competition players prefer playing against unpainted :grin:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
is there a good source for beginner decklists that only use a few sets? me and my buddy played the dryads vs the orcs with their out of the box cards and it was pretty clear that the decks in the boxes were a complete mess that was getting in the way of the game, so I was going to start messing around with deck building a bit

Clearly I can't just pick a tournament list and go since I would need 90% of the warband boxes in the game but if there is somewhere with some solid newbie decklists I'd appreciate if people help me find it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AnEdgelord posted:

is there a good source for beginner decklists that only use a few sets? me and my buddy played the dryads vs the orcs with their out of the box cards and it was pretty clear that the decks in the boxes were a complete mess that was getting in the way of the game, so I was going to start messing around with deck building a bit

Clearly I can't just pick a tournament list and go since I would need 90% of the warband boxes in the game but if there is somewhere with some solid newbie decklists I'd appreciate if people help me find it

I'd recommend just printing proxies if you have access to a printer, but if not maybe decks using more of the generic cards from the starter box would work?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, the community is pretty chill about proxying things.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

AnEdgelord posted:

Proxy dude. It isn't stealing per say as long as you intend on picking up the sets in the long run which if you are having fun playing and it sounds like you are then i imagine you will over the course of a year or two.

You can easily save the images from warband deck builder, paste into word or a text editor of choice and print them out, shove them in some dragon shield clear sleeves and you are good to go. It'll let you figure out which decks you like before buying the sets so you can play competitively in store.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tome of Offerings and Longstrider are now restricted

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/21/warhammer-underworlds-the-latest-errata-and-designers-commentary

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I really like the board selection rules.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Board rules are good, the errata is good, the new restrictions are good, the FAQ is mostly answers to edge cases, and a few "shut up you weirdoes"-answers. It's all good!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Surprised there are no posts about Power Unbound :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have they spoiled any cards from it? I haven't been keeping a close eye on WHC but I skimmed their "Pre-order now!" article and I only saw like 1 spoiler.

e; I'm dumb and I don't know what I clicked on. Some spoilers here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/22/warhammer-underworlds-pre-order-power-unbound/

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 24, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

glitchkrieg posted:

It would help if it wasn't so obviously forced. Those spoilers are kinda dumpy.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

glitchkrieg posted:

The guys in my league are going nuts about the Innate hammer card for Cursebreakers. They keep getting great cards.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

The guys in my league are going nuts about the Innate hammer card for Cursebreakers. They keep getting great cards.
Yeah, I mean, they nerfed Empower a little but the new cards are amazing. What the hell were they thinking?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The whole thing was spoiled and reviewed in the regular places

https://canyourollacrit.com/2019/06/22/power-unbound/#more-4050

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A picture of the back of Dreadfane's box has been snuck onto boardgamegeek: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4814267/warhammer-underworlds-dreadfane

It mentions Hazard Cards, and even shows one, that talks about a Hazard Phase.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Electric Hobo posted:

A picture of the back of Dreadfane's box has been snuck onto boardgamegeek: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4814267/warhammer-underworlds-dreadfane

It mentions Hazard Cards, and even shows one, that talks about a Hazard Phase.

Dreadfane.com is a squatting site? It's a .co.uk addressed web building template though so maybe that's how GW makes their sites.

The hazard stuff seems to be there to avoid some of the tactical decisions and get things happening - the one on the box is "All attack actions have innate hammer/swords until this card is discarded. Discard this card at the start of the next hazard phase."

There's some other stuff too - the cards have "Dual" as a keyword and "If" and "And" as sections on the cards, so they seem to be breaking down timing windows into their consituent parts and not relying on rules.

The banshees also inspire by moving through fighters, which is pretty cool but seems crazy weak in regular play.

I like the unique turn tokens - it would be nice to see them for regular warbands :)

Oh, and the objective markers are built into the board, so it won't be legal for regular play.

Ultimately then, this box is entirely standalone and will not be legal at all alongside regular underworlds. Kinda a shame, but understandable considering its limited release - us Europeans would be fuming if it were. I'd still love it though, it looks fast paced enough that it would be great for a quick blast with a new player or someone intimidated by deckbuilding/the card pool and warbands.

vv It's a standalone Underworlds for the beer and pretzels gang. Think Blitzbowl.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is Dreadfane the new season, or just some sort of B&N type starter game?

EDIT: It's a starter game. I missed it when it was announced.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 2, 2019

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
GW has said that the warbands will be playable in the regular game, and will be released seperately at a later point. I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to get those activation counters is to buy the Dreadfane box. I could see them not coming in a organzied play kit.
I hope that the hazard stuff has all kind of crazy poo poo going on, just to make it a lighter game. I'll probably have to import a copy if it a US only release.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I hope they give us a way to get the cards without the models as I'm sure many people already have them from the stormstrike or easy to build boxes.

Looking at the Myrmourns, inspiring by moving through someone is cool, but seems a bit unreliable without really strong card support. I hope they're beefy enough to survive having to get deep in enemy territory.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They look pretty tough, 2 dodge both uninspored and inspired, and 4 health on most of them. Looks like speed 4 and 5 across the board, so they can definitely get up close and inspire quickly. Hopefully before the opponent gears up for one-shots. Lots of damage on them too, I'm guessing that they're super aggressive.

No wizards in either warband, which makes sense for an intro game. I like that, I just want to punch guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Barnes & Noble has Dreadfane up for preorder, with 31. August as the release date. Apparently those fuckers won't ship to the EU because of GDPR, so my collection will suffer forever!