Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

End of the day it's just a struggle between my ADHD-addled brain going for an idealistic and pointless balance of base stats, or the ideal min/max choice. I'm pretty sure it's true what you say that you'll want the knight physical stats for most classes anyway, so I'm probably gonna consider myself moderately content with having beaten Gundyr deprived and gently caress on over to a knight in my eternal search for true contentment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like starting as deprived because its something you'd expect after rising from your grave.

Plus almost everything you find is immediately an upgrade.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

End of the day it's just a struggle between my ADHD-addled brain going for an idealistic and pointless balance of base stats, or the ideal min/max choice. I'm pretty sure it's true what you say that you'll want the knight physical stats for most classes anyway, so I'm probably gonna consider myself moderately content with having beaten Gundyr deprived and gently caress on over to a knight in my eternal search for true contentment.
Deprived is not even one of the harder start classes (because the club is good.) If you really want a challenge, start thief. Now that's a hard Gundyr.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Deprived is hard for Gundyr and not much else, just because you take like twice the damage for being naked. As soon as you have clothes you’re much better off.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Finally beat the main game, once I was passed Aldritch and the Dragonslayer Armor the rest of the game was kind of a stomp. The bros went down first try with some phantoms, same with Gwyn. After that I went to go do the Consumed King and Untended Graves, all that's left before I do the DLC is ArchDragon Peak.

Love this game. Gonna do new game plus :)
Maybe a second run? Started as a sorcerer but switched pretty much totally to pyro stuff once I had great chaos fire orb.... which I only went and got near Aldritch time.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Hi I just spent the past hour hitting an ent in the balls with a club. If the rest of the game is like this I'm gonna have a lot of fun.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

testiklos the poo poo tree is way easier with fire weapon and also one with a lot of vertical/horizontal reach. I used the scythe, took it down very early

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Oh no I was being sincere. I loved every attempt and it felt great when I took him down. Large Club carried me through a lot of DS2 and it's already doing good work here, though I do forget about the resins. That would've helped for sure. Made friends with a giant, took out a fire demon with Squidward Siegward, and killed a creepy ice knight dog beast thing. This might end up being my favorite of the Souls series at this rate.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

oh hell yeah!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I recently found out that Miyazaki was inspired by Oblivion. Thanks Stop Skeletons From Fighting!

The one thing I didn't like about DS2 is that until I get to Drangleic Castle and meet Nashandra, I have no idea what I'm doing. I mean, Emerald Herald is Soulsborne Waifu #3 so I'll just do whatever she asks, but there's no idea why she's getting me to carry printers all over these random feeling unconnected areas. Why am I killing the Lost Sinner? Why does the last giant need to die? Why is Trump at the bottom of this pit I need to buy a ladder for?

DS1 gives you a quest off the start, even though its a red herring, you still have a reason for what your doing. And honestly, it being a lie makes it better. DS3 is also good at giving you a goal from the start, though its way more straightforward than DS1.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

twistedmentat posted:

I recently found out that Miyazaki was inspired by Oblivion. Thanks Stop Skeletons From Fighting!

The one thing I didn't like about DS2 is that until I get to Drangleic Castle and meet Nashandra, I have no idea what I'm doing. I mean, Emerald Herald is Soulsborne Waifu #3 so I'll just do whatever she asks, but there's no idea why she's getting me to carry printers all over these random feeling unconnected areas. Why am I killing the Lost Sinner? Why does the last giant need to die? Why is Trump at the bottom of this pit I need to buy a ladder for?

DS1 gives you a quest off the start, even though its a red herring, you still have a reason for what your doing. And honestly, it being a lie makes it better. DS3 is also good at giving you a goal from the start, though its way more straightforward than DS1.

the intro to DS2 says (almost verbatim) "you will find yourself in a new land, surrounded by strange monsters, and not even know why"

the whole point is that you don't know why. you're supposed to be piecing things together as you play, in whatever order you play, because the majority of the story is told through item descriptions or in-game context.

the whole plot is a meta commentary on how objective purpose doesn't exist and doing anything at all is destined for failure, so the only way to truly win is to stop playing the game (as in, you finally stop playing the game in real life)

the curse of humanity is the curse of want

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the intro to DS2 says (almost verbatim) "you will find yourself in a new land, surrounded by strange monsters, and not even know why"

the whole point is that you don't know why. you're supposed to be piecing things together as you play, in whatever order you play, because the majority of the story is told through item descriptions or in-game context.

the whole plot is a meta commentary on how objective purpose doesn't exist and doing anything at all is destined for failure, so the only way to truly win is to stop playing the game (as in, you finally stop playing the game in real life)

the curse of humanity is the curse of want

Yea I'm aware of that, but my problem is I am never given a reason, even contexually to go out and slaughter the bosses of the first part of the game. If you're just searching for "Why?", is there a reason to hack your way though everyone? I'm fine with things being ambiguous, that's one of the reasons I love FROM games because they don't spoonfeed you the story or background, you piece it together from items and locations. DS2 takes this to the extreme for the early parts of the game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Are you...the next monarch? Or... Merely a pawn of fate? Bearer of the curse... I will remain by your side. Till this frail hope shatters... Take this with you. May it ease your journey. Go on, and see the King. He who made Drangleic what it once was; he who peered at the essence of the soul. King Vendrick.

Bearer of the curse, seek misery. For misery will lead you to greater, stronger souls. You will never meet the King with a soul so frail and pallid.

Seek those whose names are unutterable, the four endowed with immense souls. Their souls will serve as beacons. Once you have found them, return here to me. So that hope will not fade away.

Bearer of the curse... Seek souls. Larger, more powerful souls. Seek the King, that is the only way. Lest this land swallow you whole... As it has so many others.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I believe you mean "Bearer of th seek seek lest"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I really like the Emerald Herald's dialogue and I think it's kind of a shame that it's basically a meme that it's a roadbump.

Outside of the more abstract, mythic concepts you end up dealing with, I think Dark Souls 2 actually provides a lot more context for what you're doing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
She really does give you plenty of information about why you're doing this poo poo. Go see the king! You need powerful souls to see the king, so go get some.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I'm aware of that, but my problem is I am never given a reason, even contexually to go out and slaughter the bosses of the first part of the game. If you're just searching for "Why?", is there a reason to hack your way though everyone? I'm fine with things being ambiguous, that's one of the reasons I love FROM games because they don't spoonfeed you the story or background, you piece it together from items and locations. DS2 takes this to the extreme for the early parts of the game.

You hack your way through poo poo because things attack you and that’s self-defense? Same reason as most games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you start out hacking dudes because you want to rescue kuro

then things become more complicated from there but genichiro's army always hates your guts

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

you start out hacking dudes because you want to rescue kuro

then things become more complicated from there but genichiro's army always hates your guts

I think you're in the wrong thread, friendo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You are correct!

Everyone in all the from game threads talks about things in all the others so it's easy to lose track. People talking about ds2 in here, ds3 in ds1 thread, all the souls games in the sekiro thread...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Honestly, at this point separate megathreads for anything besides Sekiro feels super redundant. One massive From Software Soulsborne thread could fit discussion for all the games fine. You could even invite discussion of the Kings Field games or some of From's other titles, too.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Honestly, at this point separate megathreads for anything besides Sekiro feels super redundant. One massive From Software Soulsborne thread could fit discussion for all the games fine. You could even invite discussion of the Kings Field games or some of From's other titles, too.

It probably helps people going through the games for the first time staying unspoilered about the other games i guess.

Sorta

Maybe

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

But why, both this and the ds1 thread are more than active

if you combined them people would almost be shouting over each other. Or, more likely, it would actually stifle some discussions.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

heard u like girls posted:

It probably helps people going through the games for the first time staying unspoilered about the other games i guess.

Sorta

Maybe

Going through the soulsbornes for the first time, agree. Plus there's still enough discussions on tactics, builds, etc that i think it helps to keep them separate

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

heard u like girls posted:

Sorta

Maybe

Eh well this is a discussion about how discussion of all the games cycles between every thread. The other option would be to demand discussion about each game gets moved to its own thread, but that level of policing seems silly. Especially when the earliest of these From games are a decade old and creeping-close-to-a-decade-old (DeS and DS1).

Amppelix posted:

But why, both this and the ds1 thread are more than active

if you combined them people would almost be shouting over each other. Or, more likely, it would actually stifle some discussions.

The regular DS1 thread or the DS1 Remastered one? :v:

E- to be clear I think most of the other DS1 threads died off eventually but it was funny when there were multiple versions going at once.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 5, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was back when PC and Console releases were staggered and the Console threads slowly would die off leaving the PC threads to be the default.

From Bloodborne on that hasn't been an issue either due to exclusivity or simultaneous releases.

Anyway having 5 active From game threads at once in my bookmarks is a joy, it must never be relinquished.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
So I'm at level 81 at 40 dex, 40 vit, and 30 endurance. What should I start with now? Is 40 the cap or should I get dex up to 60? Otherwise should I go for spells/miracles/pyromaniac? Is the I was thinking of stopping at about 120.

Any advice on how to get the covenant miracles/rings? Those are the last achievements I dont have and I dont really feel a strong desire to grind for them

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
40 is softcap for weapon damage, with most weapons it's not worth it to go higher. Some like heavy splitleaf you still get good enough payoff though.
There's no reason to go as high as level 120. I know that there are people who like to pvp there, but it's frankly excessive-you have enough stats to do basically whatever you want with no real tradeoff at that point so there's little build variety. Also you do have to grind to get that high. I pretty much only go up to 90 these days.

When you say you have 40 vit, do you mean vigor(aka HP)? If so, raise vit a bit for more armor/equip options.

Don't bother with the cov reward achievements. Waste of time.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
40 in whatever the HP stat is. Thanks. I feel like I'm good. Just gonna run through the DLC then I'll write off this character

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Oscar Wild posted:

Any advice on how to get the covenant miracles/rings? Those are the last achievements I dont have and I dont really feel a strong desire to grind for them

Sadly, unless you’re prepared to play a TON of PvP, grinding is the only way. That’s the only achievements I am missing as well, for the same reason. You can farm the knights on the Anor Londo stairs, but someone did the map and the drop rate is ridiculously low. Something stupid like you’d have to grind those two knights for like 10 hours to get everything you’d need.

The ring you get for the Wolfbros can be dropped by someone else iirc. If there are other covenant rings, they should be droppable too.

Bummer that nothing else is.

My DS3 trophy list sits at 97% completion for this reason.

Edit: just checked and yeah, I am only missing the Miracle achievement and it’s because one of them is a covenant reward (Aldrich’s) iirc.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Regy Rusty posted:

That was back when PC and Console releases were staggered and the Console threads slowly would die off leaving the PC threads to be the default.

From Bloodborne on that hasn't been an issue either due to exclusivity or simultaneous releases.

Anyway having 5 active From game threads at once in my bookmarks is a joy, it must never be relinquished.

Since we have separate threads, I want to give a shoutout to DS3 for properly identifying the (previously named) Black Knight Halberd as a "Glaive" and updating the name accordingly.

Thank you DS3. I'm sorry for any spoilers this causes.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have all three Dark Souls and the one Bloodborne threads bookmarked and unless people start spoling cross-thread is better that way since there are still lots of people that didn't play them all. More so Bloodborne wich is a PS4 exclusive and more people missed it. Some of us have eyes on the inside and like to keep others away from spoilers.

Reading about other's first experiences is one of the best things about FROM games.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Apart from Darkmoon, the rest of the covenant grinding is super easy (namely cause it's something you can actually influence to happen yourself), especially if you get someone to drop you the item rewards for Rosaria/Watchdogs/Aldrich. All you need is:
-30 vertebrae for Warmth
-30 medals for GLS/Sacred Oath
-10 dregs for Great Deep Soul
-the dreaded 30 ears for Darkmoon Blade

Aldrich summons are lightning quick and easy, and you only need 10 wins, while you have tons of ways to get vertebrae and medals. Lol if you're offline though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Apart from Darkmoon, the rest of the covenant grinding is super easy (namely cause it's something you can actually influence to happen yourself), especially if you get someone to drop you the item rewards for Rosaria/Watchdogs/Aldrich. All you need is:
-30 vertebrae for Warmth
-30 medals for GLS/Sacred Oath
-10 dregs for Great Deep Soul
-the dreaded 30 ears for Darkmoon Blade

Aldrich summons are lightning quick and easy, and you only need 10 wins, while you have tons of ways to get vertebrae and medals. Lol if you're offline though.

I think DMB was the only one I was missing. Which is the one with no good way to grind.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

HaB posted:

I think DMB was the only one I was missing. Which is the one with no good way to grind.

even better was when the game launched and certain players straight could not get wolf bros or darkmoon to summon them, based on some RNG code bullshit that nobody ever figured out and people either had to create entirely different steam accounts or else just accept you weren't going to ever play those covenants.

the ring one is also a bummer because you have to play through NG++ at least IIRC since some of the later rings are completely unavailable until you get to the higher NG passes

i can't even imagine trying to get the summon covenant cheevos on DS3 now. i've got to imagine the majority of the people playing the game at this point are either diehard fans or hackers, and neither group is easy to farm for the tokens. doing purple pound mound invasions the first week of launch was arguably the best time to do it, since nobody had really figured out their gimmick yet

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Freaking Crumbum posted:

even better was when the game launched and certain players straight could not get wolf bros or darkmoon to summon them, based on some RNG code bullshit that nobody ever figured out and people either had to create entirely different steam accounts or else just accept you weren't going to ever play those covenants.

the ring one is also a bummer because you have to play through NG++ at least IIRC since some of the later rings are completely unavailable until you get to the higher NG passes

i can't even imagine trying to get the summon covenant cheevos on DS3 now. i've got to imagine the majority of the people playing the game at this point are either diehard fans or hackers, and neither group is easy to farm for the tokens. doing purple pound mound invasions the first week of launch was arguably the best time to do it, since nobody had really figured out their gimmick yet

I think I got the mound thing on another character by invading where those 3 npcs were after the archives. It seemed like an ok hit rate there.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Yeah and on my BEST day I am mediocre at PvP, so....just not worth the effort. My win rate on my best day against just regular people (no gank squads/hackers) is maybe 3 out of 5.

I've just accepted I will never Platinum it. :)

Sucks that's there's no reasonable farming opportunity like farming crows in Painted World in DS1. I'm not about to spend literal hours farming two knights with that ridiculously low drop rate.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
After completing a Monster Hunter game for the first time, grinding out ears over the course of 3-4 hours is almost quaint in comparison

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Are there an interesting variety of monsters you can grind in Monster Hunter or are you stuck farming literally the same type of enemy for hours at a time?

I think my character ended up at level 212 on a run where I mastered most of the covenants and collected all the rings. NG++ Nameless King is a fitting end boss for that achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having super recent experience with monster hunter: world i'd say i definitely prefer any grinding in it compared to grinding in dark souls

the combat is more fun, for one thing