Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't think the series has ever shown anything like Gulags and stuff for the school. Only mentioned possibly not meant to be taken seriously as they're still Japanese high schools at the end of the day. The windowless classroom thing is likely what tube "gulag" actually is, but the day to day school life at most of the schools is so barely touched on.

Okay but isn't that dangerously close if not the same as if there was a German team that sent losers "to the showers" and ha ha it's just a reference and they're just normal showers? You sort of just spelled out for me how exactly it trivializes serious stuff.

And could you explain to me why their race matters? I don't think only Germans can portray WW2 offensively, I think anyone can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

lol

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Japan is famous for not admitting concentration camps and torturing people to death. Some people go a bit all in on that aspect.
During WWII the Nazis thought the Japanese went too far in some of the things they did, and because unlike Germany they didn't apologise or make reparations to their victims, and quietly released the people the allies made them imprison, there's a whole culture of denial that they did anything wrong that persists to now.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Thundercloud posted:

During WWII the Nazis thought the Japanese went too far in some of the things they did
No, they didn't.

Thundercloud posted:

and because unlike Germany they didn't apologise or make reparations to their victims, and quietly released the people the allies made them imprison, there's a whole culture of denial that they did anything wrong that persists to now.
It took Germany decades to reluctantly make reparations, literal Nazis held government office less than 5 years after the war ended, blah blah. There are a lot of cultural and educational reasons why Germany has less denial, but basically all of those reasons are that the Allies made it an intentional goal, not because Germany self corrected.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Speaking of Nazis what was the name of the company that sold Triumph of the Will at Gencon for at least a decade?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

MadScientistWorking posted:

Speaking of Nazis what was the name of the company that sold Triumph of the Will at Gencon for at least a decade?

Belle and Blade, probably.

They sell war movies and historical films. Selling a DVD of a movie that is public domain and of legitimate historical and technical interest is one thing, particularly since it's one film out of a catalog of tens of thousands.

But poo poo like this Nuremburg sign, Deutschland Uber Alles with SS and Swastika sign, SS Pinup Girls, Wehrmacht Pinup Girls is pretty well indefensible.

I haven't been since 2013 but I heard that they got in trouble for selling thongs or something with offensive slogans on them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

evol262 posted:

No, they didn't.
I think the context here is that in China German diplomatic officials interfered with the Japanese army getting up to hella atrocities on at least one occasion, but the one incident I know of was definitely "not authorized by the home office." Of course I doubt the Germans approved of the occasional absent-minded non-anti-Semitic activities the Japanese got up to too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

I think the context here is that in China German diplomatic officials interfered with the Japanese army getting up to hella atrocities on at least one occasion, but the one incident I know of was definitely "not authorized by the home office." Of course I doubt the Germans approved of the occasional absent-minded non-anti-Semitic activities the Japanese got up to too.

It happened the other way around, too, with at least one Japanese official being involved in saving a number of Jews from the Nazis. But it was always, on both groups, a thing specific individuals got up to rather than policy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nessus posted:

To my understanding the Japanese actually tried to import Jews? Like, they literally believed the :godwinning: stuff about how Jews were these financial masterminds and decided that importing some would be good for business?

Which actually makes me wonder if they ever tried to start any poo poo in the JAO?

E: here we go: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_settlement_in_the_Japanese_Empire

E2: of course, Imperial Japan loving to rub dicks with the White Russians in Manchuria/Manchukuo and the evolution of those White Russians during the 1920s and 30s from ordinary anti-Semitic aristocratic Russian fuckwads into super anti-Semitic fascist Russian fuckwads probably was a net drag on the Fugu Plan? :shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 5, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mors Rattus posted:

It happened the other way around, too, with at least one Japanese official being involved in saving a number of Jews from the Nazis. But it was always, on both groups, a thing specific individuals got up to rather than policy.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nessus posted:

Military liasons basically said "whoa, maybe you should actually finish off the KMT so you can use these troops for finishing off the British presence instead of installing yet another collaborator government and killing peasants while they blow the dikes on the river again and leave you in a disease-ridden hellhole, not "all of this killing is too much for us!"

I mean, it was a disagreement on military principles so the Japanese could try to take the heat off by hitting Russia from the other side or committing forced to India and the Suez, not an ethical or humanitarian objection. And maybe Thundercloud didn't mean it that way, but it definitely read like apologism so I didn't even want to try to inject nuance

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
People in Asia internalizing 30s era antisemitism as a positive stereotype still exists. I knew multiple Jews in Asia who said people essentially asked them for their secrets.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Schadenboner posted:

To my understanding the Japanese actually tried to import Jews? Like, they literally believed the :godwinning: stuff about how Jews were these financial masterminds and decided that importing some would be good for business?

Which actually makes me wonder if they ever tried to start any poo poo in the JAO?

E: here we go: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_settlement_in_the_Japanese_Empire

E2: of course, Imperial Japan loving to rub dicks with the White Russians in Manchuria/Manchukuo and the evolution of those White Russians during the 1920s and 30s from ordinary anti-Semitic aristocratic Russian fuckwads into super anti-Semitic fascist Russian fuckwads probably was a net drag on the Fugu Plan? :shrug:

Eifert Posting posted:

People in Asia internalizing 30s era antisemitism as a positive stereotype still exists. I knew multiple Jews in Asia who said people essentially asked them for their secrets.

Another thing adding to this is that during the days of Czarist Russia said country attempted to invade and conquer Japan. A Jewish philanthropist by the name of Jacob Schiff donated funds to the Japanese war effort. This was around the time said Czars wrote the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to shift their own domestic problems onto a hated minority.

The Japanese fended off the Russians, and public awareness of Schiff's funding caused many Japanese at the time to think "well even if the Elders of Zion exist, they prevented our country from falling to Russia so they can't be all that bad."

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 6, 2019

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
There’s also the story of John Rabe, the Nazi liaison in Nanking who established the Nanking Safety Zone when the Japanese were murdering everyone. But he was just a local actor trying to leverage his status as the ranking Nazi, not an attempt by the actual Nazi regime. Even then he was detained upon his return to Germany, interrogated by the Gestapo, and told to keep quiet. The letter he wrote to Hitler begging him to keep the Japanese from murderfucking non-combatants was confiscated and never delivered. But he was still a loving Nazi so he was probably just bummed that all the people killed were obviously not Jews.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Han Feizi posted:

There’s also the story of John Rabe, the Nazi liaison in Nanking who established the Nanking Safety Zone when the Japanese were murdering everyone. But he was just a local actor trying to leverage his status as the ranking Nazi, not an attempt by the actual Nazi regime. Even then he was detained upon his return to Germany, interrogated by the Gestapo, and told to keep quiet. The letter he wrote to Hitler begging him to keep the Japanese from murderfucking non-combatants was confiscated and never delivered. But he was still a loving Nazi so he was probably just bummed that all the people killed were obviously not Jews.

Many Japanese felt similar through a mirror darkly: some who were aware of the Holocaust thought it was barbaric which never amounted to more than a "tut-tut you shouldn't be doing that" besides the aforementioned individual examples of granting Jewish visas. These same Japanese had no moral reservations against doing the same to the Korean and Chinese who in their eyes deserved to be wiped off the face of the Earth.

It's easier to criticize from outside the cultural tent than to look at one's own and go "Are We the Baddies?"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhandhali posted:

Belle and Blade, probably.

They sell war movies and historical films. Selling a DVD of a movie that is public domain and of legitimate historical and technical interest is one thing, particularly since it's one film out of a catalog of tens of thousands.

But poo poo like this Nuremburg sign, Deutschland Uber Alles with SS and Swastika sign, SS Pinup Girls, Wehrmacht Pinup Girls is pretty well indefensible.

I haven't been since 2013 but I heard that they got in trouble for selling thongs or something with offensive slogans on them.

I've heard through the grapevine that the owners of that stall are full on Nazis. The anecdote I heard from a games writer was that a friend of his, another writer who is Jewish, was checking out the booth and picked up a copy of Der ewige Jude. The proprietor/booth worker told him that it's a very important work and that the Jews are really like rats, infesting and destroying society. He noped out of their pretty quick, especially before the guy saw his name badge.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Libertad! posted:

Many Japanese felt similar through a mirror darkly: some who were aware of the Holocaust thought it was barbaric which never amounted to more than a "tut-tut you shouldn't be doing that" besides the aforementioned individual examples of granting Jewish visas. These same Japanese had no moral reservations against doing the same to the Korean and Chinese who in their eyes deserved to be wiped off the face of the Earth.

It's easier to criticize from outside the cultural tent than to look at one's own and go "Are We the Baddies?"

I should note that Sugihara, at least, was a genuine good guy - he'd previously resigned his position in Manchuria in protest over the mistreatment of Chinese by the Japanese army.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

open_sketchbook posted:

People can make games out of war because they've never had to experience war, and that's a good thing.

It's not everybody, but a lot of wargamers have a strong "lest we forget" attitude about making mass death and destruction into a game. Participating in some of the decision making the real life actors did brings historical events into a really sharp focus. I can't look at the map for an ACW or WW2 "game" without a certain solemn sense of history and tragedy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mllaneza posted:

It's not everybody, but a lot of wargamers have a strong "lest we forget" attitude about making mass death and destruction into a game.

Sanguinius :negative:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

open_sketchbook posted:

People can make games out of war because they've never had to experience war, and that's a good thing.

I'm a combat veteran (USMC) and I play wargames.

Wargames and war are very, very different things.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Angry Salami posted:

I should note that Sugihara, at least, was a genuine good guy - he'd previously resigned his position in Manchuria in protest over the mistreatment of Chinese by the Japanese army.

Considering how often people got assassinated by "random actors" during imperial japan for criticizing or impeding the military in any way, this is pretty ballsy

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yushukan, the military museum at Yasukuni is probably the most hilariously blatant example of propaganda and revisionism I’ve ever seen. It’s worse than the official PLA museum in Beijing.

To give you an idea you are greeted by a locomotive that was used on the Thailand-Burma railway. This is the one from Bridge over the River Kwai, built with thousands of slave laborers including allied POWs who died en masse.

There about four rooms about how the US provoked Japan to attack them, that Pearl Harbor was America’s fault and the whole invasion of China was based on a misunderstanding. Nanking wasn’t even on the maps anywhere that I could see, let alone mentioned.

On top of that the gift shop was pimping some anime about a couple of guys in a midget sub going off to die stupidly on some suicide mission. Maybe involving the Yamato?

It’s been a few years and I expected that it would be bad given that it’s at Yasukuni, but it really has to be seen to be believed.
I don’t speak or read Japanese at all and the message was crystal clear even with very limited English language materials there.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Rhandhali posted:

Yushukan, the military museum at Yasukuni is probably the most hilariously blatant example of propaganda and revisionism I’ve ever seen. It’s worse than the official PLA museum in Beijing.

To give you an idea you are greeted by a locomotive that was used on the Thailand-Burma railway. This is the one from Bridge over the River Kwai, built with thousands of slave laborers including allied POWs who died en masse.

There about four rooms about how the US provoked Japan to attack them, that Pearl Harbor was America’s fault and the whole invasion of China was based on a misunderstanding. Nanking wasn’t even on the maps anywhere that I could see, let alone mentioned.

On top of that the gift shop was pimping some anime about a couple of guys in a midget sub going off to die stupidly on some suicide mission. Maybe involving the Yamato?

It’s been a few years and I expected that it would be bad given that it’s at Yasukuni, but it really has to be seen to be believed.
I don’t speak or read Japanese at all and the message was crystal clear even with very limited English language materials there.

Japan is like Italy more than Germany in this, I think.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

jakodee posted:

Japan is like Italy more than Germany in this, I think.

I was stationed over in Japan. I'm a big ol' History nerd. The few times I asked the locals what they knew or were taught about WWII it was usually "we never got to that in school" or "the US cut off our oil and then bombed our cities."

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cessna posted:

"the US cut off our oil and then bombed our cities."
I mean, it leaves out a few key steps, but it's not technically incorrect. Be careful about reading too much into what you manage to get out of people in casual conversation, though - Japanese culture is funny on giving offense and any topic that looks like it might do so is generally avoided with claims of ignorance or a deft changing of the subject. Responding to a question with "I don't know" is as much a way of saying, "yeah, let's don't go there" as "it's a little bit difficult" is a polite way of saying "it's loving impossible, and you should feel stupid for asking."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

I mean, it leaves out a few key steps, but it's not technically incorrect. Be careful about reading too much into what you manage to get out of people in casual conversation, though - Japanese culture is funny on giving offense and any topic that looks like it might do so is generally avoided with claims of ignorance or a deft changing of the subject. Responding to a question with "I don't know" is as much a way of saying, "yeah, let's don't go there" as "it's a little bit difficult" is a polite way of saying "it's loving impossible, and you should feel stupid for asking."

I lived there for a few years, I get the idea of not airing dirty laundry. And I wasn't out to be That Guy and start going off about Pearl Harbor or the Bataan Death March or the like. I was just curious how the schools covered the subject.

The overall impression I got was that people really just didn't care.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cessna posted:

I was just curious how the schools covered the subject.

The overall impression I got was that people really just didn't care.
Heh, the same could be said of pretty much anywhere, tbh. It is staggering how few people (in ANY country) have a decent grasp of world geography, let alone history. Unfortunately this ignorance is often what allows fash to flourish - people just don't know enough to call bullshit when they see/hear it, so it's easy to get sucked in.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

I was stationed over in Japan. I'm a big ol' History nerd. The few times I asked the locals what they knew or were taught about WWII it was usually "we never got to that in school" or "the US cut off our oil and then bombed our cities."

That's pretty much the narrative of the museum. "Only 2 days of Tungsten left on Dec 6 1941!" "Look at this awesome infrastructure we built in Asia" "NUKES"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ilor posted:

Heh, the same could be said of pretty much anywhere, tbh. It is staggering how few people (in ANY country) have a decent grasp of world geography, let alone history. Unfortunately this ignorance is often what allows fash to flourish - people just don't know enough to call bullshit when they see/hear it, so it's easy to get sucked in.

I'm remembering the Turkish student who we had who had never heard of world war 2. I mean, sure, Turkey was non-belligerent, but you'd think it would come up...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

I don't understand how someone can see that and think "I should replace and sexualize the crews with teenage girls and remove all the serious context from this for a goofy sports show. This is a cool and good idea."

All of this started from scale model kits putting anime girls on boxart and have never progressed past that basic moe impulse

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cessna posted:

To be fair, depending on the state, US K-12 schools rarely get into the 20th century in history classes and everything about WW2 is more or less learned through hearsay, movies or other media, and cultural reference.

God forbid you ask an American what they know about WW1 or even who we fought beyond "Germany"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Xelkelvos posted:

To be fair, depending on the state, US K-12 schools rarely get into the 20th century in history classes and everything about WW2 is more or less learned through hearsay, movies or other media, and cultural reference.

God forbid you ask an American what they know about WW1 or even who we fought beyond "Germany"

I mean to be fair the correct answer for what the sides were in WW1 is 'a clusterfuck beyond recognition'

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

On a related note, in 2008 I studied abroad in a town in Mordovia, Russia and canvassed ~120 people, mostly college students and professors, on the moon landing. Every single one said they were staged.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cessna posted:

This is starting to be a pretty obscure derail but I've studied at graduate level university in Japan and my classmates would not know which century WW2 was. Meanwhile, Berlin is full of momuments for remembering German WW2 war crimes. To compare the two countries is just silly.

Italy is kind of on the Japanese side of things, with certain football teams still doing fascist salutes en masse and many families displaying portraits of Mussolini at home as if it was a Normal and Cool thing.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

At my highschool you could take either a WW2 or Vietnam War class for History credit. It got really into the resource war aspect of WW2, and Vietnam was taught with surprising accuracy. I knew Vietnam was hosed up when I was 15, but after that class I could with some confidence articulate exactly how hosed up it was.

That's probably not normal at all, but it was an American public school.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

At my highschool you could take either a WW2 or Vietnam War class for History credit. It got really into the resource war aspect of WW2, and Vietnam was taught with surprising accuracy. I knew Vietnam was hosed up when I was 15, but after that class I could with some confidence articulate exactly how hosed up it was.

That's probably not normal at all, but it was an American public school.

The Florida curriculum for American History has changed since I went to school but it was basically segmented from the founding of the US to Reconstruction. Now, there's supposed to be curriculum that goes from Reconstruction to Present Day with a state level test for it to boot.
(in case you want to know what future Florida Men and Women learn in Public school US History circa 2010 standards: http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/5662/urlt/0077550-fl09sp_us_history.pdf)

Non-edit: lmao at their reference definition of Communism, though their definition of Marxism is closer

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Anyone taking AP US/Euro is still gonna miss all of it unless they read about it on their own

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

lilljonas posted:

This is starting to be a pretty obscure derail but I've studied at graduate level university in Japan and my classmates would not know which century WW2 was. Meanwhile, Berlin is full of momuments for remembering German WW2 war crimes. To compare the two countries is just silly.

Italy is kind of on the Japanese side of things, with certain football teams still doing fascist salutes en masse and many families displaying portraits of Mussolini at home as if it was a Normal and Cool thing.

My general impression (painting with an admittedly wide brush) has been that, while we in the US often see German contrition and transparency about WW2 as the norm, they're more the exception. The norm is much more on the side of places like Japan and Italy, where unpopular military truths are spun, downplayed, or ignored.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The equivalent isn't the US not really teaching WW1, the equivalent is the US not teaching jack poo poo about Reconstruction and it's intentional failure, or really teaching about anything regarding MLK beyond "he had a dream and then a bad person shot America's Black Friend," or America not teaching a whole lot about the intentional mass genocide of Indigenous Americans, or etc, etc, etc. Like, it's a long goddamn list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

The equivalent isn't the US not really teaching WW1, the equivalent is the US not teaching jack poo poo about Reconstruction and it's intentional failure, or really teaching about anything regarding MLK beyond "he had a dream and then a bad person shot America's Black Friend," or America not teaching a whole lot about the intentional mass genocide of Indigenous Americans, or etc, etc, etc. Like, it's a long goddamn list.

I moved around a lot, went to a lot of schools both private and public. None of them ever taught anything really about the Native American genocide other than a footnote about the trail of tears and manifest destiny.

I learned a hella lot about slavery though.