Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
To be fair I think that person tried to kill them or something. Turnabout is fair play and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
FFX would be a lot cooler if they smoked weed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
FFX is probably a lot cooler if I'm smoking weed so definitely the next time I try to get through that I'm doin' that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It does feature Vaan punching Balthier in the face which is basically the best moment in the game. Nothing else about it is particularly noteworthy though

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I just beat FFXV. Played the first two DLC episodes and have the last two to go. I'm still doing post-game stuff, because the core of the game is very fun and it looks loving incredibly on my PC.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen a story that was told worse than FFXV's. As far as I can tell the actual story is like... fine? But important things that happen occur off camera, are mentioned in passing, or are just never loving explained. And it's not (I think) that I'm missing subtle clues to what's going on, it's literally things like the fact that you're going to try and get the blessing from the Astrals explained after you do that for the second time, and then the significance of the blessing of the Astrals is just... not explained at all. That kind of thing happens all the time in the game, it'd deeply bizarre. Maybe they could have done something with it, by having Noct always behind his allies and never sure what's going on for most of the game which changes as he matures into his leadership role... but I don't think that's what they were going for, I think they just wrote the first thing that came to their minds and moved on immediately.

And there are also things in the plot that are NOT in the story, which is kind of a first for me in maybe any medium? Like that bit where Shiva shows up and gives you an exposition dump about the previous human empire, the war between the gods, and all of that. Which is then used to give you an excuse to fight Ifrit as a boss, i guess? Except you've already fought all the other gods as bosses, and their motivation to fight you seemed to be "HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME."

Like... Sondhiem, was it? The prehistoric human empire that Ifrit fought a war again. What... what does that have to do with FFXV? Like, at all? It doesn't seem to affect any of the characters, or the culture, or the metaphysics, or the big good versus evil story. It strikes me as if you were playing a WWII game set in the North African theater and the game stopped for an hours to lecture you about the rise and fall of the Berbers. Like, if there was a Berber character who used that history to motivate their actions I'd get it, but I'm not sure why you'd be interested otherwise. Why do I need to know the deep prehistory of a bullshit science fantasy setting that doesn't affect the plot even a little bit?

Strong work on the four central characters though, and while Ardyn was nothing new or interesting and had no real motivation besides "is the bad guy" he had enough panache that it didn't really bother me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think a lot of FFXV's worldbuilding snafus and dead ends in particular could potentially be traced back to its start as Versus XIII. These irrelevant 'story dumped then move on' details being references to events in Agito XIII, or the Astrals' blessing being set up in one of the XIII sequels or something, would mean that it was all part of a bigger picture that you could actually go and see more of, rather than them basically accidentally making a puzzle box plot because they forgot to write random chunks of it.

That's not an excuse, if anything it's huge proof that it shouldn't have become XV, but if that were true, it would make sense.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Maybe they could have done something with it, by having Noct always behind his allies and never sure what's going on for most of the game which changes as he matures into his leadership role... but I don't think that's what they were going for, I think they just wrote the first thing that came to their minds and moved on immediately.

And funnily enough, the trend of 'XV would be better with other games to prop it up' comes through here, because a significant chunk of what you described here is done... in Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. Noctis starts off the plot just completely lost and with no idea what the hell's going on, and only manages to catch up because Cecil and (to a lesser degree) the Warrior of Light take the time to explain things to him. Their side of the story is really weak even by that game's standards, but Noctis' big moment comes when he's the one that successfully argues their side of things against XII's Vayne Solidor.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Just got FF12 again since only ever playing the original PS2 version. Is there an ideal job setup that uses all 12 jobs? I've read it's not too important and it's hard to truly ruin a character but I'd like to switch my brain off and just use a decent, proven setup.

I also gather Esper/Quickening choices are important since they can also lock licenses?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

Just got FF12 again since only ever playing the original PS2 version. Is there an ideal job setup that uses all 12 jobs? I've read it's not too important and it's hard to truly ruin a character but I'd like to switch my brain off and just use a decent, proven setup.

I also gather Esper/Quickening choices are important since they can also lock licenses?

If you bought it for the switch or the bone you can respec jobs at any time from your guildhall in rabanastre so you cant screw anything up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

I think a lot of FFXV's worldbuilding snafus and dead ends in particular could potentially be traced back to its start as Versus XIII. These irrelevant 'story dumped then move on' details being references to events in Agito XIII, or the Astrals' blessing being set up in one of the XIII sequels or something, would mean that it was all part of a bigger picture that you could actually go and see more of, rather than them basically accidentally making a puzzle box plot because they forgot to write random chunks of it.

That's not an excuse, if anything it's huge proof that it shouldn't have become XV, but if that were true, it would make sense.

It’s funny - if the XIII trifecta actually came out as intended, it probably would have been rad as hell. Each game has a bunch of cool sounding lore? Welp you get to actually play that lore in each one’s sister games.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Barudak posted:

If you bought it for the switch or the bone you can respec jobs at any time from your guildhall in rabanastre so you cant screw anything up.

Were they ever going to bring this feature over for ps4/pc?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Digital Osmosis posted:

I just beat FFXV. Played the first two DLC episodes and have the last two to go. I'm still doing post-game stuff, because the core of the game is very fun and it looks loving incredibly on my PC.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen a story that was told worse than FFXV's. As far as I can tell the actual story is like... fine? But important things that happen occur off camera, are mentioned in passing, or are just never loving explained. And it's not (I think) that I'm missing subtle clues to what's going on, it's literally things like the fact that you're going to try and get the blessing from the Astrals explained after you do that for the second time, and then the significance of the blessing of the Astrals is just... not explained at all. That kind of thing happens all the time in the game, it'd deeply bizarre. Maybe they could have done something with it, by having Noct always behind his allies and never sure what's going on for most of the game which changes as he matures into his leadership role... but I don't think that's what they were going for, I think they just wrote the first thing that came to their minds and moved on immediately.

And there are also things in the plot that are NOT in the story, which is kind of a first for me in maybe any medium? Like that bit where Shiva shows up and gives you an exposition dump about the previous human empire, the war between the gods, and all of that. Which is then used to give you an excuse to fight Ifrit as a boss, i guess? Except you've already fought all the other gods as bosses, and their motivation to fight you seemed to be "HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME."

Like... Sondhiem, was it? The prehistoric human empire that Ifrit fought a war again. What... what does that have to do with FFXV? Like, at all? It doesn't seem to affect any of the characters, or the culture, or the metaphysics, or the big good versus evil story. It strikes me as if you were playing a WWII game set in the North African theater and the game stopped for an hours to lecture you about the rise and fall of the Berbers. Like, if there was a Berber character who used that history to motivate their actions I'd get it, but I'm not sure why you'd be interested otherwise. Why do I need to know the deep prehistory of a bullshit science fantasy setting that doesn't affect the plot even a little bit?

Strong work on the four central characters though, and while Ardyn was nothing new or interesting and had no real motivation besides "is the bad guy" he had enough panache that it didn't really bother me.
Everything that needs fixed with the world goes back to Ifrit and the ancient empire as the starting point of everything going to poo poo. The Lucii are janitors made to clean up all the bulllshit, and the astrals are doing their interview of you for the job when you fight the normal ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ventana posted:

Have they ever patched the sound bug in FFVII?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HD DAD posted:

It’s funny - if the XIII trifecta actually came out as intended, it probably would have been rad as hell. Each game has a bunch of cool sounding lore? Welp you get to actually play that lore in each one’s sister games.

That does sound amazing, and there's not really anything like it which is a huge shame. The closest thing I can think of is debatably the Elder Scrolls games, each of which tackles some random little bit of the lore that's been there, but hasn't yet been expounded on. Just from the ones I played, Oblivion went for expounding on the daedric princes as beings and the actual planes of Oblivion, and Skyrim looked at the Dragon Breaks, and all the weird stuff about Tiber Septim/Talos, all of which is basically just flavor text outside of the games that they actually play in those spaces during.

Of course, the Elder Scrolls does all of that badly, inevitably only fleshing those out in ways that are super underwhelming. I feel like Final Fantasy could've done that justice, if only because its default state is 'totally bananas' so chances are low that the explanations would be underwhelming.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ventana posted:

They might be bringing it over to the PC but I really doubt the PS4 version will ever be updated.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

zedprime posted:

Everything that needs fixed with the world goes back to Ifrit and the ancient empire as the starting point of everything going to poo poo. The Lucii are janitors made to clean up all the bulllshit, and the astrals are doing their interview of you for the job when you fight the normal ones.

How so? It seemed to me the problem with the world is the Starscourge, which... is never really explained but implied to have come from the meteor. It seemed to me the Astrals had their little war, civilization got wiped out and re-built, and they all went to sleep. If the Daeomons hadn't shown up, and Ardyn hadn't decided to help them or not help them or help you or help you so he can kill you when you're at the height of your power or uh, whatever he was doing - I'm not sure what about the world needed fixing. How does the Ifrit breaking bad fit into the plot with the Starscourge?

I kinda got the impression that Ardyn, after Ifrit had been beaten, seduced / corrupted him with the Starscourge... but it wasn't like Ifrit was a looming threat the whole game, in play he just kind of acted like Ardyn's big divine guard dog.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I kinda got the impression that Ardyn, after Ifrit had been beaten, seduced / corrupted him with the Starscourge... but it wasn't like Ifrit was a looming threat the whole game, in play he just kind of acted like Ardyn's big divine guard dog.

I'm not sure whether it was actual corruption or Ardyn just walked up to Ifrit and said "gently caress those guys, know what I'm saying? Let's wreck some poo poo."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure whether it was actual corruption or Ardyn just walked up to Ifrit and said "gently caress those guys, know what I'm saying? Let's wreck some poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swC64CzUHoQ

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I prefer my version.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Digital Osmosis posted:

How so? It seemed to me the problem with the world is the Starscourge, which... is never really explained but implied to have come from the meteor. It seemed to me the Astrals had their little war, civilization got wiped out and re-built, and they all went to sleep. If the Daeomons hadn't shown up, and Ardyn hadn't decided to help them or not help them or help you or help you so he can kill you when you're at the height of your power or uh, whatever he was doing - I'm not sure what about the world needed fixing. How does the Ifrit breaking bad fit into the plot with the Starscourge?

With both the humans and astrals split along civil warring lines there was no unified front to present against the starscourge which is reported as concurrent with the end days of the empire. The rifts would remain until Noct solved things with the power of friendship. He gets the astrals, crystal, and remaining leaders of men behind him which hadn't happened since Solheim.

The bigger plothole is why he needed to do that when it seems like the easier fix is to get the world drunk on gin and tonic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Ardyn is a thinly-veiled personification of Arby's. FFXV is a fantastical retelling of the fast food wars, thus the Americana backdrop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mega64 posted:

Ardyn is a thinly-veiled personification of Arby's. FFXV is a fantastical retelling of the fast food wars, thus the Americana backdrop.

I dunno I'm getting way more of a smarmy Wendy's Twitter vibe from him

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ardyn is a metaphor for the olive garden. the lucii is chilis, and ignis represents local restauranteurs. we've been over this

gladio is taco bell

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Gladio is a Cup Noodles man.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Gladio is the bulk Cup Noodles packages you can buy that he talks about with romantic intent.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wish 15 was still an FNC affair so Noct could kill Bhunivelze so Gladio could move to earth and open a restaurant about adding boutique ingredients to cup noodles.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm playing FF8 for the first time and I'm not quite sure what to make of the junction system but I've always heard negative things so I'm wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind going into it? It seems kind of overwhelming but that might just be because the tutorials dump a lot of info on you at once.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

romanowski posted:

I'm playing FF8 for the first time and I'm not quite sure what to make of the junction system but I've always heard negative things so I'm wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind going into it? It seems kind of overwhelming but that might just be because the tutorials dump a lot of info on you at once.

you can equip spells to jack up your stats. since spells are exceedingly easy (if initially tedious) to acquire, this means you can go trotting around with endgame-quality stats before you hit the end of the first disc

that's about it

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Enemies' levels scale with you and they scale better, so don't try to grind yourself out of a jam (or at all).

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

Also that Meteor in the original lore is thrown by Ifrit to kill everyone and Titan had to catch it and hold it up to prevent it wiping out everything. So if the star scourge does originate from there (along with the power source of basically every technologically advanced city since they use those crystals for heat to create steam to power everything outside of the Lucian home city that runs on bahamut crystal juice for power and its shield seemingly.) Ifrit literally brought the star scourge with him and was infected with it, possibly explaining his deciding to go evil in the first place. Ifrit was defeated though preventing humanity from being immediately wiped out and later Ardyn kinda just....resurrected him I guess for a boss battle. Using him much the same way as we bring in summons except Ifrit sticks around for a bit and is SUBSTANTIALLY weaker then the other summons. (I believe there is some bit of lore somewhere where size of them is actually directly proportional to their power at the time. Showing that the Shiva that went to deal with the empire was NOT messing around considering she was about Titan size when she lost.) Functionally the lore with the war is to show the Astrals fought, and Ifrit is why the giant gently caress off crystal meteor is around which might be the source of everything wrong in the story since the star scourge is what eventually caused Ardyn's turn as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone have good suggestions for Black/White Mage gambit setups? Really just any general gambit guides for XII would be nice.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Anyone have good suggestions for Black/White Mage gambit setups? Really just any general gambit guides for XII would be nice.

I set up Ashe as a BLM/WHM in my playthrough. I set Raise to be top prio, then Cure/ra/ga/ja at ~50%, then Esuna which I turned on and off, and the rest were dedicated to "if enemy has x weakness, use x/ra/ga/ja. If no weakness, Flare that rear end in a top hat."

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

you can equip spells to jack up your stats. since spells are exceedingly easy (if initially tedious) to acquire, this means you can go trotting around with endgame-quality stats before you hit the end of the first disc

that's about it

but also don't do this unless you want the first 1.5 discs to be incredibly tedious and the last 2.5 discs to be incredibly boring.

just play through and make sure you check draws on bosses to see if you can get a GF

e: also don't skip the tutorials, and if you need to, just ask in here if you have questions on how something works

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't know if there is any way to play ff8 that doesn't make the combat tedious. You either draw forever to power up your character the slow way, refine items to fast forward the powering up, trivialize most fights with summons or plink away at enemies ineffectively. I don't feel like square playtests at all I think they wing it and just luck out most of the time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The best way to play FF8 is indeed to break it. Hard.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Chaeden posted:

Also that Meteor in the original lore is thrown by Ifrit to kill everyone and Titan had to catch it and hold it up to prevent it wiping out everything.

Is that correct? I don't remember seeing that in the game, and the wiki doesn't imply that Ifrit through it either.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The guidebook to FFXV at release has a timeline of the background events, and it says Ifrit sent the Starscourge. Since all the gods are asleep since the great war, meaning Titan has been holding that meteor for 2k years, since the war, and since it's called the Starscourge, implying it came from space, its been a popular theory that Ifrit threw down the meteor at Eos (the planet) and Titan caught it. But you are correct, that isn't actually confirmed anywhere and is a theory made up of assumptions, so it may not be right.

However, I think it's cool as hell, so it's right to me!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I don't know if there is any way to play ff8 that doesn't make the combat tedious. You either draw forever to power up your character the slow way, refine items to fast forward the powering up, trivialize most fights with summons or plink away at enemies ineffectively. I don't feel like square playtests at all I think they wing it and just luck out most of the time.

there's a middle ground between never using refines and going out of your way to get 100 of almost every spell before the end of disc one. you don't need to ever grind refine/draw materials--you'll run into enough of them as you go, and if you truly can't handle a section then you can buy like 15 tents for enough Curagas to cover your whole party on HP-J, but almost none of that is necessary to get by just fine. almost every FF involves you slowly accumulating power as you go through--that's the point of leveling up--it's just that it's easier to break that curve on VIII than on a bunch of others, if incredibly tedious.

there are like three storyline battles I can think of that tend to gently caress people over:

Raijin and Fujin because Raijin is fast and hits like a truck if you're not ready for it
Adel because you can't just GF your way through it and some people tried to go through the whole game that way
Ultimecia because of Griever

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Gologle posted:

The guidebook to FFXV at release has a timeline of the background events, and it says Ifrit sent the Starscourge.

Ah, that's the bit I was missing! I got that the game heavily implied that the meteor contained the Starscourge, but I didn't see the game hint that Ifrit sent the Starscourge. If both those implications are right then yeah, the simplest explanation is that Ifrit threw the meteor. And given no evidence to suggest anything else it's probably the correct one too.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

there's a middle ground between never using refines and going out of your way to get 100 of almost every spell before the end of disc one. you don't need to ever grind refine/draw materials--you'll run into enough of them as you go, and if you truly can't handle a section then you can buy like 15 tents for enough Curagas to cover your whole party on HP-J, but almost none of that is necessary to get by just fine. almost every FF involves you slowly accumulating power as you go through--that's the point of leveling up--it's just that it's easier to break that curve on VIII than on a bunch of others, if incredibly tedious.

there are like three storyline battles I can think of that tend to gently caress people over:

Raijin and Fujin because Raijin is fast and hits like a truck if you're not ready for it
Adel because you can't just GF your way through it and some people tried to go through the whole game that way
Ultimecia because of Griever

I'm not talking about getting every spell or end game weapon immediately which you basically can do if you look things up. If you refine anything at all it completely trivializes a huge chunk of the game. I can't figure a way to slowly accumulate power without basically slowing yourself down on purpose.

Parasite Eve came out a year earlier and managed to have a tightly controlled power curve that actively discouraged grinding before the post game content and was made by the same people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The devs assumed youd never grind anything, basically. Get in a fight, draw spells once or twice, kill enemy. Pass the SeeD exams you legitimately can and never grind out money and buy a few items which you might refine or keep.

The game feels like they tried to develop a system that would avoid hoarding issues, feelings of missing out power curve, and use spells liberally but messed up how to make that actually work.