Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I’m the guy strolling away from the blazing wreckage carrying the suitcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I'm the big airport truck not running survivors over.

Man that was one of the dumbest arguments I ever got roped into here. Some guy was extremely upset that I was insulting first responders by saying they would probably have a major discussion about how to avoid that in the future instead of dropping it as “just an accident.”

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1125078371476627467

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t believe they got that on the ground. I hope more video of the approach emerges.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Back from PTY. I've never had so many problems with flights as that trip. Ugh. Between a blizzard in YYC, storms in IAH that had us sit on the runway for 1hr+ waiting for a gate to open and made our 6:30AM flight not leave until 11:30 the next day, and aircraft in PTY that couldn't start blocking access to the taxiway, good times.

Anyhow, this trip reminded me I could really use a decent set of noise cancelling headphones for the IFE. The airline supplied buds do little more than hurt my ears.

Since I don't really use headphones for my personal electronics, 3.5MM input, or at least option, would be best for plugging into the IFE. Any recommendations that aren't horrifically expensive?

There's a headphones thread in IYG that would be able to give you some suggestions. There might be something on the last few pages of that thread as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I stopped using noise cancelling and use my molded earplugs. More comfortable to sleep laying down than headphones for me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'll check out IYG, never thought of it.

Update from CBC on the Super Sukhoi incident at least 13 confirmed dead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russian-aeroflot-plane-on-fire-moscow-sheremetyevo-airport-1.5123778

This reporter has several videos now
https://twitter.com/ASLuhn

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Found while looking up info about the supposed widespread grounding of SSJs in Russia:

quote:

Operationally, the Sukhoi Superjet has been erratic. Safety concerns with the Superjet, (Russia’s first post-Soviet passenger plane), emerged soon after its introduction in 2008. A large number of employees at the Siberia factory responsible for working on the assembly of SSJ aircraft were found to have faked their university engineering degrees.

Much as I'm willing to defend Soviet/Russian aviation, this is utterly unsurprising for a company in 21st century Russia.

A commenter on the Avherald post for this accident claimed that much of the Superjet fleet in Russia proper is grounded, but that Aeroflot continues to use the type "for prestige reasons," which I cannot substantiate but again find plausible.

Edit:

quote:

Furthermore, according to France’s L’Echo, Brussels Airlines has complained about the lack of maintenance manuals properly translated from Russian — adding to the complexities of operating this regional jet.

https://aviationanalyst.co.uk/2018/11/04/the-airlines-ditching-unreliable-russian-sukhoi-superjets/

I'd ask how it's possible to be that incompetent on a project like this, but, y'know, post Soviet Russia.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 5, 2019

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Soviet jets had a pretty atrocious safety record too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

slidebite posted:

This reporter has several videos now
https://twitter.com/ASLuhn

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1125126487148048384

It had declared an emergency before landing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

aww

Ola posted:

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1125126487148048384

It had declared an emergency before landing.

Wow

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like the mains collapsed, perhaps that ruptured a fuel tank.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

Since I don't really use headphones for my personal electronics, 3.5MM input, or at least option, would be best for plugging into the IFE. Any recommendations that aren't horrifically expensive?

If you don't feel like loving around with iyg, pick up a $50 pair of Taotronics rechargeable noise cancelling bluetooth headphones on Amazon. They come with a 3.5mm cable, a charge is supposed to last 30 hours, the noise cancelling is pretty good (like, probably not $300 Bose good, but certainly good enough), and you have the option of bluetoothing them to your phone for podcasts or whatnot. I bought a pair for long airplane rides, and they done changed the game.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

If you don't feel like loving around with iyg, pick up a $50 pair of Taotronics rechargeable noise cancelling bluetooth headphones on Amazon. They come with a 3.5mm cable, a charge is supposed to last 30 hours, the noise cancelling is pretty good (like, probably not $300 Bose good, but certainly good enough), and you have the option of bluetoothing them to your phone for podcasts or whatnot. I bought a pair for long airplane rides, and they done changed the game.

:same:

but I got these and they were great for a flight from philly to london last year, once you turn noise canceling on you never really realized how loud a plane is in the air.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYZWS53/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Plinkey posted:

:same:

but I got these and they were great for a flight from philly to london last year, once you turn noise canceling on you never really realized how loud a plane is in the air.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYZWS53/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

quote:

Comfortable Protein Earpads
CBC is now reporting 40+ dead. Quite a change from the initial reports.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

slidebite posted:

CBC is now reporting 40+ dead. Quite a change from the initial reports.

:nms:
https://twitter.com/KFM936/status/1125121672212828162
:nms:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Man, new transport-category aircraft are having a gently caress of a time.

At least the 787 only got grounded for an extended period of time, it never actually killed anyone.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:piss:

I've flown with aeroflot on the SSJ. Everything about it was far more comfortable and modern in comparison to other regional jets I've flown on.
Besides who knows what the exact cause of this is. How's the SSJs safety record? For a plane that's around a few years now I don't recall hearing anything bad about it.

I'd rather fly in an SSJ over ever being subjected to a pos e-190, avro RJ or a CRJ again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair, I flew two legs on the MAX 8 and it was also extremely cool and good compared to the 737-700 I flew on last week. Having a large accident like this given a limited number of aircraft in service isn't necessarily a sign of anything seriously wrong with the design, but it's not good either. Planes aren't meant to catch fire like that, and while it's possible there was something that happened completely unrelated to the overall design, it's still not a good sign.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

At least the 787 only got grounded for an extended period of time, it never actually killed anyone.

What’s happened with the A350 or A220?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What’s happened with the A350 or A220?

Nothing, but that’s not an exceptional success considering the Sukhoi, the 787, the 737 MAX and the An-148. Batting .333 isn’t exactly an amazing record, especially with the very high-profile problems with the MAX and the suspicion being cast at the design and certification processes themselves as a result.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Hasn’t killed anyone yet

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

I pretty much never do this but this is footage from inside the plane on landing and it genuinely freaked me out in a way that watching a bunch of crash videos never has. Just a heads up for folks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Nothing, but that’s not an exceptional success considering the Sukhoi, the 787, the 737 MAX and the An-148. Batting .333 isn’t exactly an amazing record, especially with the very high-profile problems with the MAX and the suspicion being cast at the design and certification processes themselves as a result.

Who knew the French and French Canadians would make the most reliable aircraft.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Hasn’t killed anyone yet

Didn’t they supposedly fix whatever the problem was?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Until you fly them into the trees. Or ocean.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Bombardier evidently sends the worst of the idiots to design and build their trains, keeping the aircraft part of the company semi-functional.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Both were blatant pilot errors though.

Either way the lesson is to not let Frenchmen fly your plane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrYenko posted:

The Air France A330 was a clear-cut failure of pilot training. The plane was flyable, it was behaving as it was designed to act and how it was documented to act, and the pilot couldn't recognize and recover from a stall given tens of thousands of feet to work with.

EDIT: And for all the criticism of Airbus's admittedly arcane "alternate law" system, I think the issues with the MAX would indicate that they probably made the superior design decision.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 6, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Back from PTY. I've never had so many problems with flights as that trip. Ugh. Between a blizzard in YYC, storms in IAH that had us sit on the runway for 1hr+ waiting for a gate to open and made our 6:30AM flight not leave until 11:30 the next day, and aircraft in PTY that couldn't start blocking access to the taxiway, good times.

Y'know, three people I know lately have had terrible times flying in Canada - where simple delays turn flights multi-day. Is this a coincidence, or is the 737 MAX grounding really loving up Air Canada that badly?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

That really is horrifying.
Is there anything you can do beyond hope not to die?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

freelop posted:

Not try to get your carry-on.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

freelop posted:

As a passenger? Nothing. Leave quickly and without any luggage.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

still gotta film it for the gram though

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Y'know, three people I know lately have had terrible times flying in Canada - where simple delays turn flights multi-day. Is this a coincidence, or is the 737 MAX grounding really loving up Air Canada that badly?

A few bad storms hitting on busy days, coupled with the max. Both AC and WS are down a good portion of their fleets, so a lot of routes aren't going as often as they should.

Makes flying standby difficult too. I'm on a trip right now and I'm building in a 3 day buffer, even though I only have to fly 1 leg.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's 41 people gone. At least 41.
The humanity.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/05/europe/russia-airplane-fire/index.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Hasn’t killed anyone yet

Fucker's gonna drive me to an early grave, I tell you!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Infinotize posted:

still gotta film it for the gram though

Hey. I clicked it :shrug:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

How's the SSJs safety record?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Superjet_100#Accidents_and_incidents

quote:

• On 9 May 2012, a demonstration flight directly struck Mount Salak in Indonesia, killing all 45 on board (Sukhoi personnel and representatives of various local airlines). The TAWS was ignored by the pilot, distracted by a conversation with a potential customer.[120]
  • On 21 July 2013, during a plane's autoland evaluation with a single engine in a crosswind at Keflavík Airport in Iceland, the fuselage hit and slid down the runway with the gear up. During an intended go-around, the fatigued pilot throttled down the wrong engine, causing the aircraft to lose thrust sufficient for controlled flight. The plane continued to lose altitude and hit the runway even as the pilot realized his mistake and throttled up the engine. One of the five crew was injured during evacuation, the Icelandic Aircraft Accident Investigation Board investigated the event and issued nine recommendations.[121][122][123] The aircraft was repaired and flew again on 27 December 2013.[124][not in citation given]
  • On 10 October 2018, a Yakutia Airlines SSJ100 slid off the runway at Yakutsk Airport as the main landing gear collapsed. All 87 passengers and five crew were safely evacuated and none were seriously injured.[125] The excursion may have been caused by ice on the runway or the airstrip's poor state of repair.[126] The airliner was damaged beyond repair and was expected to be written off.[127]
  • On 5 May 2019, Aeroflot Flight 1492 reported an emergency shortly after take-off and returned to Sheremetyevo International Airport, Moscow, to make an emergency landing but subsequently hard-landed, causing fire and partial destruction. Out of the 78 passengers on board, 37 survived the accident and 41 were reported to have died.[128][129]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Better than the 737 over the last seven years, then.