Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

baka kaba posted:

That's a overall system thing though, right? This is more about how newer versions of Android let apps theme the navigation bar, so I guess the question is have you ever seen any app use a darker bar, or even change it at all? If they can it might be possible to force a dark bar for dark themes

In usage today I noticed the nav bar is transparent on the home screen, but more importantly when I used voicemail it changed to a dark color, even overriding the nav bar app I was using, and I verified by turning the app off (I'd had it set to a static color, not adaptive). Granted the voicemail is probably a system app, but it seems at least possible.

Edit: the app "Solitaire: Decked Out" (don't judge) also forces a black nav bar with gray buttons, so you don't need a system app.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Another data point of potential interest: on the frog splash screen the nav bar temporarily takes on the blue color.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

In usage today I noticed the nav bar is transparent on the home screen, but more importantly when I used voicemail it changed to a dark color, even overriding the nav bar app I was using, and I verified by turning the app off (I'd had it set to a static color, not adaptive). Granted the voicemail is probably a system app, but it seems at least possible.

Edit: the app "Solitaire: Decked Out" (don't judge) also forces a black nav bar with gray buttons, so you don't need a system app.

All right cool, seems doable then, just can't test it's working on the sarsungs. We'll probably take a shot at it anyway at some point, so it's worth experimenting with at least!

And yeah the splash screen is technically just an empty window with a background image, so it's probably painting the nav bar over that. I think how it usually works is the system designates some window space for the app content, and some space for the nav bar with a solid background colour. They probably made it so that bit is transparent when the app starts, so if you made a splash screen it all looks immersive or whatever

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I'm not sure. I noticed it about two weeks ago.

There was a slight change with the last update that shouldn't have affected you - is it all highlighting that's broken? OP posts and everything? On every theme? (well default/dark/OLED, you don't need to check them all)

pokeyman posted:

Fork Blink and make AwfulWebView. It’s the only way to have consistency.

we already have a class called AwfulWebView oh well

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

baka kaba posted:

All right cool, seems doable then, just can't test it's working on the sarsungs. We'll probably take a shot at it anyway at some point, so it's worth experimenting with at least!

And yeah the splash screen is technically just an empty window with a background image, so it's probably painting the nav bar over that. I think how it usually works is the system designates some window space for the app content, and some space for the nav bar with a solid background colour. They probably made it so that bit is transparent when the app starts, so if you made a splash screen it all looks immersive or whatever

Ossum, I'm sure all of us on samsungs using dark themes appreciate the effort!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

also if you want a good disparaging term there's always Samsmug

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hey I had a Galaxy Nexus AND IT WAS FINE GUYS, IT WAS, I just like saying sarnsung when their custom shenanigans pop up again, feels like darn + samsung

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

After this navbar thing I can sympathize with that, I'm not an app developer but I can imagine how irritating that could be.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
edit wrong thread

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 26, 2019

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hello friends! I loving adore the app, but I'm having a problem with it on my phone (LG G7 ThinQ)

Everything works but the three dot menu next to each post, so I can't quote / edit / etc. I can use the header menu just fine to reply / vote and whatever, but the menu on the individual posts won't come up when I tap it. And I have tapped the gently caress out of it, believe me.

Works fine on my Samsmug Galaxy Tab 3, but not the phone.

It used to work at some point too. Some update a while ago broke it I think (I've been having this issue for months but was too lazy to report). I'm on beta channel, but even not being on it still won't fix the issue. Tried uninstalling / clearing data too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Did you update Chrome?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LastInLine posted:

Did you update Chrome?

Holy poo poo well I'll be damned, that was it. Thank you! :glomp:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I haven’t been able to link images for a few weeks now. On a apple Xs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

It's amazing you got the Android app to work at all.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LingcodKilla posted:

:yosnice:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LastInLine posted:

It's amazing you got the Android app to work at all.

Lol I didn’t realize there was a separate android thread. Was following a link.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Someone change the thread title to "Just loving update Chrome," tia

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This has probably been asked a billion times. But can I hide specific forums/titles?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yes, on the forum list you can hit the star at the top to use a favorites menu and select only forums you want.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Yes, on the forum list you can hit the star at the top to use a favorites menu and select only forums you want.

I tried that before but when I press the star it has a loading icon around the frog and says "No favorites". Do I have to select favorites first from somewhere else?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Popete posted:

I tried that before but when I press the star it has a loading icon around the frog and says "No favorites". Do I have to select favorites first from somewhere else?

From the main list, long press to set a favorite then the star button will be a list of just those favorites.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

vyst posted:

Someone change the thread title to "Just loving update Chrome," tia

As much as I adore the current title, I'm inclined to agree.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

My highlighting issue seems to have resolved. :psyduck:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My highlighting issue seems to have resolved. :psyduck:

Maybe it was happening on specific pages? If you can remember where you saw it, or if you ever see it again, drop a link in here - it's possible there's a weird edge case where something trips up the highlighting code

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I know I've mentioned this before but something in the app thread reminded me to bring it up again:

Long-pressing the app icon should bring up a jump list, I think you can have up to three, so I'd recommend Forums (I'd imagine that would bring up the Favs if that's toggled), Bookmarks, and PMs. Then you can dump the Bookmarks widget as that can be pinned from the jump list if desired, and everyone would have a shortcut to each from the app icon itself.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I meant to look into that, we got these navigation events so it should be pretty easy to jump in anywhere

Theyr'e a Nougat feature though and the app is Lollipop+ so the widget might need to stay for a bit

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I meant to look into that, we got these navigation events so it should be pretty easy to jump in anywhere

Theyr'e a Nougat feature though and the app is Lollipop+ so the widget might need to stay for a bit

Don't you have to target higher API levels now in order to continue to update via the Play Store?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah but that's different from the minimum API the app will run on

The Target API Level (targetSdkVersion) is the highest version of Android it's intended to run on. It basically makes API features available to the app, and also enforces any requirements or behaviour changes added up to that level (like granular permissions), which is the main reason Google's pushing everyone to target a fairly recent version

Basically if you target a lower version that someone's device is running, the app runs in a kind of compatibility mode and doesn't have to play by the rules of that device's Android version, like being well behaved or more secure. It's so apps made to run on an earlier version don't just break if Google changes stuff

Targetting 9.0 also lets you use all the features in 9.0, but that's gonna depend on checking what version each device is running on before you try to use a thing, because fragmentation. And the usual trick there is to not bother and just use the support library that backports most of the stuff to old API levels so everything can use it. That might let app shortcuts work on Lollipop with a launcher like Nova actually...
:thunk:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I feel bad for people using ancient versions of Android - but if you can put more cool poo poo in the app as a result of newer versions of android I vote for that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So just to satisfy my curiosity, even though you have target 9.0 and presumably meet the requirements for doing so (reading through this page it would seem like none would apply to Awful), you still can't invoke features that are available in that API without breaking support for older devices?

I was under the impression that those features on those devices just wouldn't be there. Like if I installed the current GMail app on a Lollipop device it would work, I just couldn't access the jump list, right? I figured core stuff like an API call going away that was used on an earlier version would break the app, but I guess I just assumed extemporaneous things like that would fail more gracefully.

e:vvv

Thanks for explaining to a layman. You simultaneously make it sound both completely reasonable and understandable while at the same time complicated and painful enough that I'm glad I'll never have to deal with it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 3, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It kinda depends. Some things you can just "switch on" in a config file, and if an older version doesn't recognise that option it just ignores it

In actual code though, it's mostly a case of
Java code:
if (android.os.Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= android.os.Build.VERSION_CODES.M) {
    // do the thing only Marshmallow+ can do
}
so earlier versions never hit a reference to stuff that isn't there. We have a few places that do this, mostly for dealing with issues in certain versions, not really for cool poo poo

but like I said that's a pain so mostly people just use the Support Library, which is an Android project to port all these new built-in features to a separate, standalone library you can import on (almost) any version. Then you can just use the support library things instead of the built-in things, and it works everywhere (and usually it'll hand over to the built-in things if they exist on your device, so you get the real deal wherever possible)

That's how the Material update basically looked the same on every device, even phones that actually used the old Holo style or whatever for the system - instead of using the built-in styling and widgets we used the support library ones instead. They port functional stuff too, but you can't always do it for everything, because some stuff relies on the system itself running a certain version and having certain capabilities, and there's no way around that

but yeah the target version is basically you saying "I've tested it on this version and it works". If you bump that version to take advantage of newer stuff/get on the play store, it's up to you to make sure the new requirements you're taking on are handled

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 2, 2019

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Did the latest beta build log everyone out, or do I have another problem?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The solution is to log back in

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Now you have two problems

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It was probably yr login cookie expiring after a year though

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

baka kaba posted:

Now you have two problems

What's the best way to timestamp on this app?

I keep loving this up.

[video type="youtube"]EKWW6oFQDZY&t=23s[/video]

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 4, 2019

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It would be
code:
[video type="youtube" start="115"]EKWW6oFQDZY[/video]
But I don't think the app helps you with that yet, sorry

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The three dot menu for posts does not respond to my touch at all. I can't quote or edit. OnePlus 2, Android 6.0.1 Oxygen is 3.6.1

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Karma Comedian posted:

The three dot menu for posts does not respond to my touch at all. I can't quote or edit. OnePlus 2, Android 6.0.1 Oxygen is 3.6.1

Try updating Chrome

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Time for that thread name change I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Chrome is/has been up to date.

I spot checked several pages because I just knew this was one of those "everybody has this" problems and still missed.