Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zoran posted:

here's my experience as an American: disproportionate representation of smaller member states is Bad.

It makes sense in the EU's case. There are people living in those countries that have goals in mind that aren't necessarily the same as what France and Germany want. In the USA there isn't a "big state agenda vs small state agenda" question anymore (because slavery is now illegal) and all those smaller states are a much more integrated part of the nation as a whole. There's no situation in which Texas lends money to Arkansas who then can't pay it back so Texas gets to decide what Arkansas' legislature does about it.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 16:51 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zoran posted:

here's my experience as an American: disproportionate representation of smaller member states is Bad.
The issue is that the EU is made up of nation states, while the US isn't. Imagine how screwed a lot of Americans would be if the system didn't favor smaller states AND only a small minority identified as Americans, while the rest identified along state lines. A few states would get on top, decide they were the most virtuous and rig the entire economy in their favor, then use that as evidence of the moral failings of the states least served by it. Then they'd start bleeding those states dry while the entire economy started to stagnate because it was tuned for like California, Texas, and Florida.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The issue is that the EU is made up of nation states, while the US isn't. Imagine how screwed a lot of Americans would be if the system didn't favor smaller states AND only a small minority identified as Americans, while the rest identified along state lines. A few states would get on top, decide they were the most virtuous and rig the entire economy in their favor, then use that as evidence of the moral failings of the states least served by it. Then they'd start bleeding those states dry while the entire economy started to stagnate because it was tuned for like California, Texas, and Florida.

as opposed to the system we have now where small states are doing it instead

I don’t know if there’s an allegory here for brexit though

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with the US system isn't that small states are bleeding the big ones economically dry. If anything the small states suffer disproportionately more for the GOP shacklehold on them but then there's other factors like gerrymandering and whatnot to consider too.

No one even cares about the small states really. No presidential candidates go and campaigns in Dakota.

The point is that it isn't a very useful comparison even though at first it may seem that way.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Zoran posted:

In their case it makes sense because they're an actual loose club thingie.
Whereas we're a goddamned country with laws on the books pretending we're still a loose club thingie.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

If there are economic bodies in the US that operate like semi-independent things they aren't along state lines, that much is for sure.
Something more like this.

The lack of actual functioning hard borders and the like (well established prior to Schengen anyway) not to mention everyone speaking English, being used to this state of things, and also not having bad blood from the dread Battle of Gerlitz when the foul king Mikel IV smited the Wobesians in 1356... the comparison just doesn't hold up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the reason small US states suck is because they're full of rural shitheads

this is not as much a problem in latvia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grape posted:

If there are economic bodies in the US that operate like semi-independent things they aren't along state lines, that much is for sure.
Something more like this.

The lack of actual functioning hard borders and the like (well established prior to Schengen anyway) not to mention everyone speaking English, being used to this state of things, and also not having bad blood from the dread Battle of Gerlitz when the foul king Mikel IV smited the Wobesians in 1356... the comparison just doesn't hold up.
If Mikel the Great was here today you wouldn't dare say something like this! He would make you and your entire village drink boiling diarrhea, like you pigs deserve.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

i say swears online posted:

the reason small US states suck is because they're full of rural shitheads

this is not as much a problem in latvia

How are we using small here.
The physically small states are mostly pretty much the exact opposite of what you're describing lol.
Largely made up of urban/suburban, with lots less rural (if any).
CT, RI, NJ, MD, MA, DE etc.
Mostly little oddly shaped chunks making up the Northeast urban corridor.

Or do you mean small by population?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
small by population, probably, the rural states also tend to be pretty large territory wise as you say

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I'm also reasonably sure Latvia has plenty of rural shitheads and isn't culturally all that more progressive than the likes of South Carolina.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/06/05/malta-leads-the-way-for-gay-and-transgender-rights-in-europe

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a British guy who moved over to Ireland recently was telling me how he found our election posters really quaint and old fashioned

I told him having a fuckin monarchy was old fashioned lmao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Quantum of Phallus posted:

a British guy who moved over to Ireland recently was telling me how he found our election posters really quaint and old fashioned

Noice

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

:gary:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If Mikel the Great was here today you wouldn't dare say something like this! He would make you and your entire village drink boiling diarrhea, like you pigs deserve.

I guess we have the bad blood from the Battle of Skeeter Ridge, when Union general Ezekiel P Sideburns put the entire city of Negromisery Glen to the torch.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

jesus WEP posted:

greens came first where i live, sounds like you should move

Greens came first in some areas near me. But I don't get paid enough to live in areas where they comfortably win.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Hi British folks! Haven't posted here in a while or read the thread since. Anyway congratulations on finally leaving the EU! So proud of you guys.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Hi British folks! Haven't posted here in a while or read the thread since. Anyway congratulations on finally leaving the EU! So proud of you guys.

gently caress off

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they haven't left yet

they may not leave

but they're going to

eventually, or not

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Fallen Hamprince posted:

gently caress off

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Zoran posted:

Not every small state in the EU (by population or density thereof) is filled with racist shithead yokels...

Okay they actually are but none off the top of my head have a two party system, so it's hard for the racist vote to get into power by latching onto the European equivalent of the republicans.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Americans don't understand politics outside US

More news at 11

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

*extremely progressive yankee voice* these guys don't deserve having their own country

e: wait this is the brexit thread maybe he has a point

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
When's Brexit finally going to happen for real, no take-backsies?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Avirosb posted:

It means brexit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Avirosb posted:

Nobody knows. With local elections last week we mostly were able to forget Brexit to focus on the Tories losing 1300+ councillors. But negotiations ate going on this week again.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

it is incredibly bad and in the long term will absolutely be a mistake. but i guess europe will have to learn that lesson as we have

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and that election poster, was albert einstein

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Wouldn't let Einstein fly Farage's plane.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
can you fellas break off cornwall and impose a cornwallian state with juche characteristics thx

that'd be comfy and swell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmtqn8wANLY

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it'd be really funny, but would cripple the british tin industry, a cornerstone of our ability to project global influence

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

it is incredibly bad and in the long term will absolutely be a mistake. but i guess europe will have to learn that lesson as we have

The politics in each country is too different right now and also there is no federal government

It's not the same

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Prav posted:

*extremely progressive yankee voice* these guys don't deserve having their own country

Ok so are you from the EU or the Deep South, because this post is ambiguous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Witt Brexit postponed that gives them time to address global warming.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Martin BadClixx posted:

The politics in each country is too different right now and also there is no federal government

It's not the same

even if mainly because of cultural and language diffs, you folks are starting w a weaker confederation than the us did—but the economic advantages of consolidation toward a proper federal system are gonna, over the medium/long term, push you into a more and more federal europe

at which pt you will have to deal w all of the legacy crap from yr confederation and weak federalism years, and the us is literally right here to show you the risks dangers and problems associated w that

all of this assumes that the impending climate apocalypse doesnt disrupt the political arc of modern europe ofc

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There is a 100% chance Americans will elect the royal baby when they're old enough if they choose to run for president

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
we should have had the wherewithal to exile all the loyalists to canada after the revolution

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Martin BadClixx posted:

It's not the same

its very similar to the early US, and this was the exact rationale used to give smaller states greater representation. and its hosed us for a century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Jose posted:

There is a 100% chance Americans will elect the royal baby when they're old enough if they choose to run for president

Caring about the British Royal family is largely a Boomer phenomenon (as are all things tacky), so by the time the baby is old enough his fans will be very dead.