Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
there is one pressure cooked pork belly dish to rule them all, mei cai kou rou 梅菜扣肉

one of my very favorite chinese dishes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

People here overemphasize this stuff. Most Chinese people in cities cook with a wok on basically a similar type of gas burner that you probably have at home and they make Chinese food just fine

while agreeing with your basic point this poo poo is overblown, every gas burner ive had in China has been wayyyyy stronger than ones I've had in the US which feel kind of anemic in comparison.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

while agreeing with your basic point this poo poo is overblown, every gas burner ive had in China has been wayyyyy stronger than ones I've had in the US which feel kind of anemic in comparison.

I guess so

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have good things to say about All Under Heaven? It looks interesting but I'm trying to be picky about hardcover cookbooks I buy as I don't have unlimited space in my house.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Can't say anything about the cookbook but her blog is great.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Any of you guys ever order ingredients from these ladies: https://themalamarket.com/ ?

It's more expensive than my local Chinese grocery, but I do think the peppercorn and chili are especially fragrant and punchy.

Also, anyone have any go-to recipies for la zi ji (the dry pepper fried chicken thing)? I made some the other day and it came out pretty well, but I feel like it's the kind of dish everyone does a little differently, and I want to make more.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Any of you guys ever order ingredients from these ladies: https://themalamarket.com/ ?

Can't speak to the spices but https://themalamarket.com/products/pixian-chili-bean-paste-doubanjiang is on Amazon prime https://www.amazon.com/Sichuan-Pixian-Xian-Broad-Paste/dp/B00A9OF6NS

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think I wanna pressure cook some pork belly. I'm seeing a lot of recipes that boil down to soy sauce, shaoxing, ginger, scallions...maybe star anise? I'm not so much looking to replicate a specific dish, I just want some tasty pressure braised pork belly. ANy toher suggestions? Also, worth it to slap it under the broiler once it comes out?

Gravity's red braised pork recipe sounds about right?

http://goonswithspoons.com/Red_Braised_Pork

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

A Tasteful Nude posted:

It's more expensive than my local Chinese grocery, but I do think the peppercorn and chili are especially fragrant and punchy.

Also, anyone have any go-to recipies for la zi ji (the dry pepper fried chicken thing)? I made some the other day and it came out pretty well, but I feel like it's the kind of dish everyone does a little differently, and I want to make more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqHI1CJU-Rg
this is a good one and I think the video is plenty understandable despite him speaking in Chinese the whole time.

When I make this I use de-boned pieces of Chicken tho cuz gently caress the bones in tiny deep fried pieces imo

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 2, 2019

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That's a really nice version - I love how he uses three types of chili to get the right spice/aroma/redness mixture, something I'll definitely try next time I make this!

(I've always been lightly disappointed with one or more of those aspects whenever I've made la zi ji at home)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hey all, any recommendations for cutting boards? I'm currently using one of those Shibazi S210 carbon steel knives, but my current cutting board is a pretty hard plastic and I've been wondering if I should go with something else instead, softer wood or something. Something on the larger size, my smaller boards just don't have the space to deal with big piles of onions or meat so they don't get used much for meal prep.

Also is there a specific term for that style like in the vid above which is just a solid slice of tree trunk? I don't do any heavy butchering at the moment so that kind of thickness is probably overkill I would imagine, but I was curious about 'em.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I recently ordered one from thewokshop. https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/chopping-block/

I'll let you know how it is when I get it, but it's just been brought down from the mountain where their source cuts them and is currently very wet and heavy. So they're shipping it hopefully this week when it's had a chance to dry a bit. I'm just going to soak it in food safe oil when it gets here so that it doesn't split on me. You could go with any end-grain cutting board, or even long grain wood would be better for your knives than plastic.

I also ordered a couple of their cheap carbon steel cleavers because they're pretty cheap.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hey all, any recommendations for cutting boards? I'm currently using one of those Shibazi S210 carbon steel knives, but my current cutting board is a pretty hard plastic and I've been wondering if I should go with something else instead, softer wood or something. Something on the larger size, my smaller boards just don't have the space to deal with big piles of onions or meat so they don't get used much for meal prep.

Also is there a specific term for that style like in the vid above which is just a solid slice of tree trunk? I don't do any heavy butchering at the moment so that kind of thickness is probably overkill I would imagine, but I was curious about 'em.

I got one made from kiso wood (Japanese cypress)

Super soft, no need to oil

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Magna Kaser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqHI1CJU-Rg
this is a good one and I think the video is plenty understandable despite him speaking in Chinese the whole time.

When I make this I use de-boned pieces of Chicken tho cuz gently caress the bones in tiny deep fried pieces imo

I want try this version. I've never had it with peanuts, but I'm interested. My go-to has been the Woks of Life version, which is simpler, but good.

https://thewoksoflife.com/chongqing-chicken/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In Sichuan I've only ever seen laziji with peanuts. The Woks of Life pictures don't look like any laziji I've ever had, though it might taste fine idk.

E: That youtube recipe looks exactly like what I expect from laziji so I'm going to second it even though I've never made it. Everything from that guy's channel has looked spot on, I need to actually make some of this poo poo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'd just go to the local restaurant supply store and pick up one or more NSF certified poly boards. I haven't done any double blind tests or anything but if they are worse for edge wear than generic wood cutting boards I haven't noticed it, and they have the advantage that you can just toss 'em in the dishwasher, which is the most reliable way to clean a cutting board.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no reason to bother with one of those logs unless you like the look. Those are pretty common in China but I think it's just because they're the cheapest and lowest effort. Cut log, fin.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Made some bao zi - 香菇素菜包 - nice and tasty and vegetarian.

I do need to get better at pleating them, some have opened during proofing/steaming..

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

In Sichuan I've only ever seen laziji with peanuts. The Woks of Life pictures don't look like any laziji I've ever had, though it might taste fine idk.

E: That youtube recipe looks exactly like what I expect from laziji so I'm going to second it even though I've never made it. Everything from that guy's channel has looked spot on, I need to actually make some of this poo poo.

Yeah in that recipe they mention they specifically:

1. don't deep fry the chicken
2. don't make it a treasure hunt with a bajillion red peppers

which are like the 2 defining characteristics of laziji for me, but whatever if it tastes good.

They also don't cut open the peppers and keep it mild when normally laziji is p darn spicy, so at the risk of being a pedant I'm going to say they changed it quite a lot from any laziji I've had.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 5, 2019

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Yeah, when I was introduced to it I distinctly remember being told that the “treasure hunt” factor was part of the fun, “communal friends meal with beers” vibe of the dish. I remember thinking that was awesome and deciding to try learning how to cook it partially as a result.

This admittedly happened in a location that was nowhere near China. But I like hunting through peppers for the best bits regardless, and using a ton helps clear out my chili collection.

And yeah, gotta chop them and leave those seeds in. It needs to sting a bit.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Magna ate all the 麻花

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The la zi ji, or rather lat si gai? I remember from the little hole in the wall restaurant near where I lived in guangdong was really good. I later learned it was just chicken dings stir fried with what I’m almost certain was lee kum kee doubanjiang. And, like, nothing else.

It’s real easy for me to make at home at least

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

They also don't cut open the peppers and keep it mild when normally laziji is p darn spicy, so at the risk of being a pedant I'm going to say they changed it quite a lot from any laziji I've had.

I stopped using Woks of Life since it never tastes like China.

Laziji is like the one Sichuan food that should be genuinely mouth searing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's always disappointing when a Sichuan restaurant around here (SW Ohio) doesn't fry their Chongqing chicken, and asking if they do or not beforehand isn't usually all that helpful. One place I go to just because I like their version. It has plenty of numbing and not as much searing heat, but what can you do.

I made fried bao with cumin beef last night and was planning on using frozen dough but it was already par steamed or something so I had to start from scratch and used a recipe containing mostly cake flour. I was way behind schedule due to making the dough at the last minute so I rushed through some steps at the end so no pictures but they still tasted great. It was my first time making bao of any kind and I definitely learned a lot for next time.

Water chestnuts with the beef gave the filling some nice textural contrast. Recipe, if anyone's interested. https://www.cooked.com/uk/Jeremy-Pa...ied-baos-recipe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Human Tornada posted:

It's always disappointing when a Sichuan restaurant around here (SW Ohio)

lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What? There are a couple real ones here. Only difference is it costs six times as much. One of my friends from Sichuan has an uncle who runs a legit place in Louisville, which I wish were closer.

I've had better Sichuan food in Ohio than in any part of China outside Sichuan.

E: And literally every Chinese person I've talked to here in SW Ohio is from Chengdu, weirdly.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 5, 2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

I've had better Sichuan food in Ohio than in any part of China outside Sichuan.

double lol

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Sorry, what's the joke here? That people outside of China shouldn't eat Chinese food? That Chinese people in the US shouldn't cook Chinese food? Or are you just being a snarky dipshit for no reason?

Ah, got it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Sorry, what's the joke here? That people outside of China shouldn't eat Chinese food? That Chinese people in the US shouldn't cook Chinese food? Or are you just being a snarky dipshit for no reason?

It's fart simpson, sometimes I forget and try to talk to him like a human being instead of ignoring.

Anyway, I made this today and it was good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6IBJwIFy8 Will be a few months before I have the right peppers grown, but with a jalapeno/bell pepper mix it was fine. I've seen it done with just bell peppers at a lot of places in Chengdu too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Did you find the right seeds to grow those from? Or are those different than the ones we both ordered seeds for?

I made twice cooked pork last night myself. Bunch of garlic chives from the garden and a bunch of other veg that I had on hand to go along with. Fermented beans where have you been all my life. (I realize the answer is China, but yeah.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No, none of the Sichuan chilies germinated. I mean those long green semi-hot peppers in the video. I have a Japanese cultivar of them in the garden but they're the same sort of thing in China/Korea/Japan.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Ahh, I ended up with a Korean pepper in the same general type. Will have a bit more heat, but that’s not really a problem.

I’ll be finding time soon to package the 4-6 gallons of GF soy sauce I made.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

No, none of the Sichuan chilies germinated. I mean those long green semi-hot peppers in the video. I have a Japanese cultivar of them in the garden but they're the same sort of thing in China/Korea/Japan.
If you're not having trouble with peppers in general it could just be bad luck. Er jing tiao aren't too finicky. I mean all capsaisin peppers are a little finicky compared to a lot of easy mode veg (tomatoes, beans, alliums) but er jing tiao grow like most C. annuum peppers. Same with chao tian jiao (facing heaven peppers), another common Sichuan pepper (and C. annuum cultivar). The real divas of the capsaisin peppers are the ultrahot C. chinense cultivars---bhuts, reapers, scorpions and so on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SubG posted:

If you're not having trouble with peppers in general it could just be bad luck. Er jing tiao aren't too finicky. I mean all capsaisin peppers are a little finicky compared to a lot of easy mode veg (tomatoes, beans, alliums) but er jing tiao grow like most C. annuum peppers. Same with chao tian jiao (facing heaven peppers), another common Sichuan pepper (and C. annuum cultivar). The real divas of the capsaisin peppers are the ultrahot C. chinense cultivars---bhuts, reapers, scorpions and so on.

Nah, Jhet and I bought the same seeds and they were poo poo. All my other peppers germinated.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah. Just can’t find seeds for them. I have about 60 other peppers from sweet to super hots that were not an issue.

But if you have a source for erjingtiao seeds that I can get in the US, I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been trying to make gluten free versions of things because there’s a lot of celiac disease in my family, and so far getting good peppers for doubanjiang is difficult. I’ll grow my own, but the seeds don’t seem to be carried by any of the pepper purveyors or other specialty seed suppliers.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
As someone else in SW Ohio, what Sichuan places do you two recommend?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jhet posted:

But if you have a source for erjingtiao seeds that I can get in the US, I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been trying to make gluten free versions of things because there’s a lot of celiac disease in my family, and so far getting good peppers for doubanjiang is difficult. I’ll grow my own, but the seeds don’t seem to be carried by any of the pepper purveyors or other specialty seed suppliers.

https://themalamarket.com/products/er-jing-tiao-chili

You can buy the whole dried peppers, then soak the seeds for two to three days in lukewarm water to prepare them to germinate. Mala Market has naturally dried peppers and I have germinated from them in the past, but not for a while.

There's a guide on how to prepare dry seeds to grow here (note that by far, not all will sprout ever): https://homeguides.sfgate.com/germinate-seeds-dried-ghost-peppers-41196.html

I have had very little luck finding fresh seeds of certain peppers, but have successfully done this with a few different varieties.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Archenteron posted:

As someone else in SW Ohio, what Sichuan places do you two recommend?

I'm in the north of Cincy area so my list skews in that direction. Sichuan Chili in Evendale is IMO hands down the best. Sichuan Bistro in Mason is my second favorite and I don't hear it talked about all that much. 99 Restaurant in Sharonville is great too and Great Tang in West Chester is also very good and is where my picture a few posts up is from.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Naturally dries should work great. I got about 95% germination rates on the rest of my peppers, so I’ll give that a try for next year’s garden. Or maybe I’ll do some hydroponic to test for germination and work on a seed stock. That seems somewhat likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, Jhet and I bought the same seeds and they were poo poo. All my other peppers germinated.
Yeah, sorry, I was just trying to make the point that it probably isn't that er jing tiao are a pain in the rear end to grow. Because holy poo poo have I had problems with a lot of peppers and sometimes I've found myself tearing my hair out trying to figure out if it's the peppers, something about the environment, something I was doing, or whatever.

Jhet posted:

But if you have a source for erjingtiao seeds that I can get in the US, I’d love to hear about it.
I'm not growing any this year, but a couple years ago I got some off a random eBay seed merchant that I didn't have any trouble with. That's always a crapshoot though.

They sometimes show up in nurseries, apparently without any rhyme or reason.