Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought wait really? Fenring? The guy who, in my head, talks like this guy?

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah for real, especially Count and Lady Fenring. I just finished another read of the first book (in case you can't tell) and their dialogue, description, that whole secret language thing, it's all so bizarre that near the end of the book, when Shaddam and RM Mohiam had "one weapon left and both knew it: treachery," and they summoned the Count, I thought wait really? Fenring? The guy who, in my head, talks like this guy?

I imagine he laughs like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWy_zcmopoQ

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Can we post our Dunes in here?

I have a modest collection of hardcover editions, this one being my favorite:

I also found this older edition

And after searching for some time, a hardcover Messiah:

Behold, A Goon:

Haven't found a hardcover Children yet, so heres my God Emperor:

Evolution Of A Goon

I spotted a signed first edition Dune last weekend, but at $3k was a bit rich for my blood :smith:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The one I'm missing is a hardcover version of Chapterhouse.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:thunk:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Super Waffle posted:

Can we post our Dunes in here?

I have a modest collection of hardcover editions, this one being my favorite:

I also found this older edition

And after searching for some time, a hardcover Messiah:

Behold, A Goon:

Haven't found a hardcover Children yet, so heres my God Emperor:

Evolution Of A Goon

I spotted a signed first edition Dune last weekend, but at $3k was a bit rich for my blood :smith:

Those are really cool

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Temaukel posted:

The one I'm missing is a hardcover version of Chapterhouse.

God drat i'm envious

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm just gonna put this here:

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/dune.html

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Illustrated by Sam Weber
Introduced by Michael Dirda
Afterword by Brian Herbert

I like to imagine the afterword is one of those musical cards gizmos, and it just goes
The beauty of Dune is that it fffaaaaaaaaaaaart
- Brian Herbert, Dune Author

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I bought the Kindle edition of Dune a while back and he had the foreword and it was just self aggrandizing and mentioning poo poo he wrote.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I will never forgive myself for reading the interquels :negative:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

muscles like this! posted:

I bought the Kindle edition of Dune a while back and he had the foreword and it was just self aggrandizing and mentioning poo poo he wrote.

We are wrong to demand his fiction be as good as his father's, just as he is wrong for sucking at writing.

He knows drat well that if not for Dune, he'd be working as an accountant or something.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

phasmid posted:

We are wrong to demand his fiction be as good as his father's, just as he is wrong for sucking at writing.

He knows drat well that if not for Dune, he'd be working as an accountant or something.

If he were your accountant you'd be audited every year for his made-up tax shelter shenanigans

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

phasmid posted:

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson bring you COATTAILS OF DUNE

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Compare Chrisopher Tolkien's careful curation of his father's legacy to Brian Herbert's fanfic fest.

Brian even removed canon status (lol not that this crap matters) from the Frank-approved Dune Encyclopedia so he could retcon stuff in his crappy books.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 6, 2019

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The only thing i'll give Brian is that by a few accounts Frank was a dismal dad, and it's easier to see what Brian's doing as revenge than it is anything else.

I don't know if Tolkien was a good dad or not but Being A Bad Dad is a decent reason to poop on a legacy like if that's what's going on here and brian just came out and said it, i'd forgive him but otherwise this is just lame as hell and Brian should be ashamed

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

basic hitler posted:

The only thing i'll give Brian is that by a few accounts Frank was a dismal dad, and it's easier to see what Brian's doing as revenge than it is anything else.

How does his new book that is just as bad fit into his revenge?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Defiance Industries posted:

How does his new book that is just as bad fit into his revenge?

Some mutated form of dramatic irony or Greek tragedy I guess.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

basic hitler posted:

I don't know if Tolkien was a good dad or not but Being A Bad Dad is a decent reason to poop on a legacy like if that's what's going on here and brian just came out and said it, i'd forgive him but otherwise this is just lame as hell and Brian should be ashamed
Is "owning your dead dad by becoming the worlds worst hack fanfic writer" really the best use of his time? Couldn't he, like, do something his dad disapproved of, like a proper teenage tantrumrebellion?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

He did tarnish the "author of the Dune series" tagline.

What an rear end in a top hat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

basic hitler posted:

The only thing i'll give Brian is that by a few accounts Frank was a dismal dad

Most people are dismal parents

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

made his dad sorry he shot his wahad

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

it’s a shame harlan ellison died, I’d love to hear his thoughts on @duneauthor

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Dune can be next HBO hit to replace the soon ending GOT.
Space boobies!!!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The desert planet Arrakis...also known...as Jyoon

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
White walkers without rhythm

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Valyrian Jihad

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Dry winds are rising, and the Fremen rise with them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is "owning your dead dad by becoming the worlds worst hack fanfic writer" really the best use of his time? Couldn't he, like, do something his dad disapproved of, like a proper teenage tantrumrebellion?

no it's petty and lame and also probably not what he's doing, but it would be better than his actual sad greedy hack cash in motive

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The son writes because he loves his daddy

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Summer is coming

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

no it's petty and lame and also probably not what he's doing, but it would be better than his actual sad greedy hack cash in motive

Yeah, he's probably just a dork who met a lot of people that liked his dad's work. I imagine that's how a guy like KJA could cozy up to him. "Oh yeah, your dad was a great writer - if I say so myself :smug:" Meet enough dismal talents like those that flourish in the grey between scifi and fantasy, you'd probably find yourself going "well, poo poo, I'm not great but if these guys can get published writing the same garbage over and over..."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah for real, especially Count and Lady Fenring. I just finished another read of the first book (in case you can't tell) and their dialogue, description, that whole secret language thing, it's all so bizarre that near the end of the book, when Shaddam and RM Mohiam had "one weapon left and both knew it: treachery," and they summoned the Count, I thought wait really? Fenring? The guy who, in my head, talks like this guy?

I still maintain David Dastmalchian would have made a great Count Fenring.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

made his dad sorry he shot his wahad

cull that wahad plz

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

basic hitler posted:

Well... https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/apr/28/jrr-tolkiens-son-claims-sexually-abuse-fathers-friend

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

confirmed father's friend source material for Tom Bombadil

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

https://twitter.com/JasonMomoaNews/status/1126211326399791104?s=19

Living large in Budapest

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I continue to be excited about this. I finally watched Arrival recently and I am now confident that Villeneuve can do Dune right.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

vortmax posted:

I continue to be excited about this. I finally watched Arrival recently and I am now confident that Villeneuve can do Dune right.

Before he got the Dune license, well before BR 2049 had released, he was my first and only contemporary candidate to direct a potential Dune movie (after watching Sicario, Incendies, Prisoners, Arrival, Polytechnique, and Enemy), and then lo and behold he comes out and says "Filming Dune has been a dream project of mine"

...and suddenly he's got the rights and is making a Dune film. I nearly shat a brick. BR2049 being so 'Dune-y' only confirmed my hype to the nth degree.

putting it into context; https://www.slashfilm.com/dune-remake/

quote:

I had been wanting to do sci-fi for a very long time. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a movie that really impressed me as a teenager. And also Blade Runner. And Close Encounters of the Third Kind is also one of my favorites. I’m always looking for sci-fi material, and it’s difficult to find original and strong material that’s not just about weaponry. A longstanding dream of mine is to adapt “Dune,” but it’s a long process to get the rights, and I don’t think I will succeed. Also I would love to write something myself. I have two [sci-fi] projects right now that are in very [early] stages. It’s too early to talk about them.

and then a year later

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/dune/denis-villeneuve-is-obsessed-with-dune-compares-it-to-his-work-on-blade-runner-2049-a155721

quote:

"I’m totally focused on Dune right now. Obsessed — I dream about it all the time. I don’t know if it’s going to be possible, I don’t know if I will make the movie. I don’t know if we will all agree on the screenplay, I don’t know. Maybe in six months I will be unemployed, but for now I’m dreaming about Dune."

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think I might love him he's a little Quebecois weirdo

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/denis-villeneuve-blade-runner-2049-dune