Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I just finished re-beating the original trilogy, and I forgot how bad the games sometimes are about when you need to press and when you can just present the clue. I hope the rest of the games get a PC port.
That quandary is solved by always pressing everything. Which you should be doing anyway to extract the maximum amount of writing from the game, because what else are you here for?

I think there's like two times in the entire series where you need to press something again after pressing something different. Those are just bullshit and they know it because they stopped doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One thing I hated in the first game is how everyone treats you like some lucky rookie when basically you poo poo on Von Karma and Edgeworth(multiple times) both whom are the best prosecutors.
Japanese sure do love their underdog story, they also do this anime, they keep trying to push the MC as an underdog despite him always randomly overpowering the baddies.
I mean in games at least it makes sense since the player's skill will be low at the start so it makes sense in the narrative if he also is a rookie or sucks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ulio posted:

One thing I hated in the first game is how everyone treats you like some lucky rookie when basically you poo poo on Von Karma and Edgeworth(multiple times) both whom are the best prosecutors.
Japanese sure do love their underdog story, they also do this anime, they keep trying to push the MC as an underdog despite him always randomly overpowering the baddies.
I mean in games at least it makes sense since the player's skill will be low at the start so it makes sense in the narrative if he also is a rookie or sucks.

Everyone loves underdogs, frequently inaccurately both in the underdog being the hero or even being an underdog at all, to the detriment of many things. I don't know why you would pin that as uniquely Japanese.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The main thing that annoys me about that is the many times they say something to the extent of "You won't beat this one by finding every tiny contradiction and edging by" considering you do that in literally every single case.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's kinda weird how horny everyone is for the 'hot' characters, but when you play as Mia you're treated like a spawn of Satan. That attorney pin must be like a glamor Or something.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's because every playable attorney in the series is written like a slight variation of each other when at the bench.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alternately youre percieving how they feel at the bench rather than strictly the exact literal thing thats occuring. Would could be a non insult gets distorted out of proportion or a friendly barb a scathing attack. The game touches gently on this because when you play as Phoenix youre constantly sweating and self doubting but other characters are impressed by Phoenix's steel demeanor and unflappableness.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

chumbler posted:

Everyone loves underdogs, frequently inaccurately both in the underdog being the hero or even being an underdog at all, to the detriment of many things. I don't know why you would pin that as uniquely Japanese.

No it's not purely a Japanese thing but in Japanese media it's a lot more abundant. Like many shounen character is the same, powerless/hardworking type of character. That's why the satire on shounen anime is One Punch Man who is the total opposite of that when the show starts.
Basically my point still stands as how everyone thinks Nick is so incompetent when he has already shown to have beaten the best prosecutors in his 2nd and 3rd case.

Best part of the end of the trial is when the guilty person completely go hysterical. Wellington was such a good character for tutorial trial, I wish there was a way to read what they say when they talk super fast. Also I always struggle in the tutorial trial because there is no context and I always forget you can use profiles as evidence. Is that something that happens a lot in game 2?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

That quandary is solved by always pressing everything. Which you should be doing anyway to extract the maximum amount of writing from the game, because what else are you here for?

I think there's like two times in the entire series where you need to press something again after pressing something different. Those are just bullshit and they know it because they stopped doing that.

I can't stand testimony that you just get past by pressing everything. It just feels like busywork even if the writing's good.

Pressing should be for revealing extra details and adding to the testimony. I don't want to complete a case by lessing L over and over again.

Turnabout Goodbyes is especially bad for this. You have so few actual decisions to make throughout the majority of the case.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Everybody treating Phoenix like some idiot is explained by the system treating defense attorneys like trash.

If he was smart he'd be a prosecutor see.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Edgeworth got poo poo on in 3-5. The defense bench has a kick me sign on it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Dr Pepper posted:

Everybody treating Phoenix like some idiot is explained by the system treating defense attorneys like trash.

Yeah, it's this. As crappy as defense attorneys are perceived in the US as only there to get the guilty off on technicalities, it's about a million times worse in Japan, what with a terrifying conviction rate of 99%.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh man, watching a long play of AAI and that loving airplane. Who do I have to kill to get an airplane seat that comfty?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love that in attempting to transfer the classic train murder mystery to a plane, a vessel that has significantly less room than a train, leads to this loving three story airplane with a goddamn warehouse in the bottom.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Amppelix posted:

That may also be part of why the 2-3 circus case is so infamous; they attempted to trip up the standard trial formula of "press everything until a contradiction falls out" by penalizing the player for pressing the wrong statements.

Barudak posted:

Alternately youre percieving how they feel at the bench rather than strictly the exact literal thing thats occuring. Would could be a non insult gets distorted out of proportion or a friendly barb a scathing attack. The game touches gently on this because when you play as Phoenix youre constantly sweating and self doubting but other characters are impressed by Phoenix's steel demeanor and unflappableness.

Yeah, when you're seeing Phoenix from the other side of the bench (like in the first part of 6-5), he's the unflappable super lawyer. What you don't see is that he's probably bumbling and bluffing his way through the trial like usual; it's just that you can't see his inner monologue like you could when playing as him.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

To be fair Phoenix is an idiot, so many times I've figured out the case and have to wait for the game/Phoenix to get to that realization so I can present the evidence. It's just that everyone else is stupider than Phoenix.

That Wellington guy who calls you a third rate lawyer who studied in a no name college was funny as hell. Do any of the small characters from previous games ever comeback? I saw in JFA the first trial Maggey is wearing a blue badger t shirt.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There are like four or five minor characters that appear in multiple games, depending on how minor you consider Larry.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Some minor characters come back, but it's rare because this series hates continuity and tries to make every game as self-contained as humanly possible.

This is why Iris hasn't and won't show up again. Or why Juniper probably won't ever make another appearance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It really is kinda weird how they fall over themselves trying to avoid any specific references to previous games. Like characters never again acknowledge that Von Karma was a murderer in addition to a shady prosecutor, even though you'd think that aspect would be pretty relevant to his overall legacy. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wyvernil posted:

Yeah, when you're seeing Phoenix from the other side of the bench (like in the first part of 6-5), he's the unflappable super lawyer. What you don't see is that he's probably bumbling and bluffing his way through the trial like usual; it's just that you can't see his inner monologue like you could when playing as him.

And when you're outside Apollo's head, he's a really sweet, straight-shooting guy. Athena's internal monologue largely mirrors her external one, outside of her moments of crippling self-doubt.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want to see Franziska's internal monologue.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah I feel that the writers do a good job of making each character you play as feel unique even though the gameplay doesn't really change.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

It really is kinda weird how they fall over themselves trying to avoid any specific references to previous games. Like characters never again acknowledge that Von Karma was a murderer in addition to a shady prosecutor, even though you'd think that aspect would be pretty relevant to his overall legacy. :v:

I suspect a surprising number of people play the games out of order, so they want to avoid anything that could be a spoiler beyond "Mia dies, Larry doesn't".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I suspect a surprising number of people play the games out of order, so they want to avoid anything that could be a spoiler beyond "Mia dies, Larry doesn't".

Yeah but those people are dumb and I don't care about them :colbert:

It's particularly egregious in AAI2 which heavily goes into Von Karma and Gregory's relationship leading up to his murder, but completely dances around the fact that Von Karma is in fact the one who killed him, despite every character talking about it being fully aware of this.

I know why they do it, I just think its silly when stuff like that happens.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Watching a longplay of AAI case 2. Edgeworth and Franziska have a great dynamic. It's like a mix of catiness and I Know You Know mind games.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The way I read spoiler avoidance in-universe is as people being too polite to bring up the worst parts of awful/personal incidents, or having enough sensitivity to not mention them directly, or something so notorious that everyone knows the details of what’s being mentioned because it was national news.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SardonicTyrant posted:

Watching a longplay of AAI case 2. Edgeworth and Franziska have a great dynamic. It's like a mix of catiness and I Know You Know mind games.

So a normal sibling relationship

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It is kinda weird that von Karma could just take custody of the son of the defense attorney who was just responsible for him getting a penalty.

Next of kin? What's that?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

It's like the Santa Clause, if you kill a dad, you immediately become the dad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

It is kinda weird that von Karma could just take custody of the son of the defense attorney who was just responsible for him getting a penalty.

Turns out he was also undefeated at civil cases.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

You saying the guy known for forged evidence couldn't just forge some documents saying Edgeworth was his kid the whole time?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Dad Jokes posted:

It's like the Santa Clause, if you kill a dad, you immediately become the dad.
This is pretty much how Tracy was adopted.

There's a dad manga there that no one's published yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

This is pretty much how Tracy was adopted.

There's a dad manga there that no one's published yet.

HEY WAIT A MINUTE YEAH

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

One thing I never got is (AJ spoilers) Why the gently caress Thalassa felt it necessary to hide her existence from Apollo and Trucy even after after her memory came back. Like holy poo poo lady, there is literally no downside to you dropping the Lamiroir act. Trucy really is the only non-rear end in a top hat magician in the entire series.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bloody Pom posted:

One thing I never got is (AJ spoilers) Why the gently caress Thalassa felt it necessary to hide her existence from Apollo and Trucy even after after her memory came back. Like holy poo poo lady, there is literally no downside to you dropping the Lamiroir act. Trucy really is the only non-rear end in a top hat magician in the entire series.

In fairness Apollo is going through some poo poo during most of DD and really didn't need the extra bombshell of "oh yeah your mom's alive and trucy really is your sister" dropped on him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Not like they couldn't have told them inbetween the two games. He and Trucy act like brother and sister anyway even if they don't realize it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just want Trucy and Maya to be able to hang out with Apollo and not be accused of murder while that happens.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Obligatory and related to the spoilers we are talking about
http://i.imgur.com/4g8zuku.png

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finally waded through the mire of red tape that is buying and patching Great Ace Attorney and played the first case today. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Barudak posted:

I just want Trucy and Maya to be able to hang out with Apollo and not be accused of murder while that happens.

Apollo will never be a real member of this family until he gets accused of murder.