Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Sexual Lorax posted:

I don't know what kind of clones you have in your army, but there isn't any drat reason to have the space monkey for their ride in mine.

oh my goooddddddddd i just found this it is my everything

That is rad, and despite being a terrible purist, I did get some custom molded Commando helmets and backpacks a while back and they are great... Dare I use some custom decals too?

With the Clone Wars series revival, I wonder if we will get any sets. I want an Asoka Company trooper battle pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just built a couple of stilts under to get it flying. Super easy set to build a stand for. Took 10 minutes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bit on the UCS Y-Wing. Did online and will have to wait for the back order, but it will give me time to put up a shelf in the rumpus room for it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

I had such a hard time picking between the Tantive and Y-Wing. The Y Wing is so good. I'll get it by summer though. I don't want it to slip out of production while I'm not looking, but I figure it'll be around until at least the winter.

Yesterday I spent a good 20 minutes in the Lego store making this decision. It was either buy a couple smaller sets I really didn’t care about to get to $75 or pick between the Tantive and Y-Wing. I’ve never really seen the appeal of the y-wing until I saw it in person. Looking forward to the build.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

veni veni veni posted:

Just built a couple of stilts under to get it flying. Super easy set to build a stand for. Took 10 minutes.

drat. I've been saving up for Assembly Square before it vanishes into the dark night but this display is pleasing as gently caress.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My LEGO store hooked it up with 2 Hoth sets because I spent $150 on Star Wars poo poo; I'm not going to build them and was just thinking eBay. Any goons want one? I was thinking $30 shipped.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

veni veni veni posted:

Now you have to put the Star Destroyer on a shelf above it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If the rumors are true, that’s the plan!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

How do you search for flat plates with smooth tops on brick link? Like no studs in 1x2 or 1x4? There has to be another name for them because they don't come up in plates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're called tiles.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

On Terra Firma posted:

How do you search for flat plates with smooth tops on brick link? Like no studs in 1x2 or 1x4? There has to be another name for them because they don't come up in plates.

1 stud high = tile or plate
3 studs high = birck
if they are round, it's a round brick/plate/tile

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

xzzy posted:

They're called tiles.

I feel like an idiot. Thank you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hit 4 different Walmarts with $25 Sanctum sets showing as being in stock, and they were MIA in every single one. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

I feel like an idiot. Thank you.

I made the same mistake in the distant past. :ssh:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

xzzy posted:

I made the same mistake in the distant past. :ssh:

I put in an order because I just got so sick of running out of parts mid build on relatively small projects and trying to find what I wanted was such a gigantic pain in the rear end. There's a lego store 2 hours north of me by an Ikea so my wife and I are going to head up there next week. That should be idiot proof even though the selection probably isn't great.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Has anyone else had trouble finding the Mustang? I checked both the LEGO store and a general toy store on Saturday and they were completely out. LEGO store guy told me that they'd sold like 40 or 50 of them over Easter (Orthodox so, one week after the other Easter), offered to order one for me.

Also I love the little Creator 3-in-1 sets. Same parts, you just do different stuff with them. And they seem like a good source of parts, just as a decent random selection

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Serperoth posted:

Has anyone else had trouble finding the Mustang? I checked both the LEGO store and a general toy store on Saturday and they were completely out. LEGO store guy told me that they'd sold like 40 or 50 of them over Easter (Orthodox so, one week after the other Easter), offered to order one for me.

Also I love the little Creator 3-in-1 sets. Same parts, you just do different stuff with them. And they seem like a good source of parts, just as a decent random selection

I got the ‘Stang at launch and didn’t have an issue, but I’ve heard that the physical stores have lower stocks now. It appears to be in stock on the web store if that’s an option for you.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

On Terra Firma posted:

That should be idiot proof even though the selection probably isn't great.

Just so you know after keeping tabs on my nearby PAB wall for the last six months I’ve seen the inventory slowly turn over a few times but I have yet to see tiles except once in the mixed bin I dig out a small handful of red 2x2s. Usually basic bricks in a couple of basic colors, slopes in a single color or two, some snot pieces, larger plates, a trans clear piece, a jumper piece. Sometimes you see travis bricks or an interesting piece but they tend to go quick so that “lane” refreshes more often. Sometimes it’s a sand green torch, sometimes it’s bright orange tooth plates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They had light grey wings for like 6 months a couple years ago. I bought SO MANY WINGS.

I've been pretty meh with PAB for the past year or so, there's almost never anything worth stocking up on.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I got the ‘Stang at launch and didn’t have an issue, but I’ve heard that the physical stores have lower stocks now. It appears to be in stock on the web store if that’s an option for you.

I'm in no rush, I just wanted to see if I could get it for my birthday on Saturday. If it's not at the generic store, I'll just see about ordering it at the Lego one and take the two weeks of delay

Plus I don't think the web store ships to Greece :v:

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Serperoth posted:

Webstore not shipping to a bunch of EU countries is such bull.

An local stores have a 200% RRP markup. Save for the occasional impulse microfighter I've avoided local buying since discovering bricklink. Sellers from Denmark have the best poo poo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone here give me a rough estimate of how long it takes to build the Saturn V or the 75105 version of the Millenium Falcon? Just curious for setting my schedule.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Taintrunner posted:

Can anyone here give me a rough estimate of how long it takes to build the Saturn V or the 75105 version of the Millenium Falcon? Just curious for setting my schedule.

I built the the Saturn V over 3 days I think, maybe 2 or 3 hours a day, so 6 to 8 hours maybe? It was my first set in years though so I probably took longer while marveling at how complex the builds have gotten.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

A question for those amongst us with children. How did you introduce your Lego to your children and how did they respond?

I have recently become a father and while it is still four or five years until my daughter will be ready for Lego, I am already starting to wonder what I should do with all my stuff.

I have what I would call a modest collection (at least based on my years of browsing Eurobricks, here and Reddit) and last year I bought some storage units with the grand aim of parting out my collection, to hopefully inspire me to either rebuild childhood sets or make a real stab at doing some creative moc type stuff. Here is the state of my sorting as of today.

My efforts sorting have stalled because:

1. Newborn.
2. I realised that what I had was not sufficient to sort into the level of granularity I had in mind.

Step two was partly because there is a lot of stuff and also because, drat, there are so many types of element now. The two boxes on the right of the image contain baseplates and the remainder of my collection to be sorted. The Ikea units and acro-mils type drawers are practically saturated. Essentially taking a step back, I realised that for many years I have intended to start doing stuff with my Lego, but really I have just been acumulating it because I love the stuff. I am really looking forward in the future to playing with my daughter, but wonder if my efforts sorting will be futile when in a few years time it will be better to dump it all into a pile for her.

Another thought was that it could be quite intimidating to just let her at all this. Perhaps it would be better to "portion" it out or something as I wouldn't want her to be overwhelmed and put off. I think it would make me really happy to see her playing with Lego as it meant so much to me growing up, so I am anxious not to gently caress it up. Has anyone had a similar experience? How did it go? I should stress that I am not an extreme jorts collector, I am not fussed about the purity of my 1990's stuff getting mixed with newer Lego. I don't think it will bother me to let her dismantle my Death Star and I very much intend for it to be "our" Lego and not "my" Lego. I know that some people keep their stuff separate from their children's Lego.

Anyone's thoughts or experiences would be really useful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Taintrunner posted:

It depends on how many pieces an hour you can do? I typically do up to 3-400 an hour. It's a big range but so do the pieces.

SV has a few quirky bits that might require doing a second time but also has a lot of repetitive sections. So I'd say it's a bit slower of a build than average.

Really depends on how fast you go.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

mitochondritom posted:

A question for those amongst us with children. How did you introduce your Lego to your children and how did they respond?

I have recently become a father and while it is still four or five years until my daughter will be ready for Lego, I am already starting to wonder what I should do with all my stuff.

I have what I would call a modest collection (at least based on my years of browsing Eurobricks, here and Reddit) and last year I bought some storage units with the grand aim of parting out my collection, to hopefully inspire me to either rebuild childhood sets or make a real stab at doing some creative moc type stuff. Here is the state of my sorting as of today.

1. Newborn.
2. I realised that what I had was not sufficient to sort into the level of granularity I had in mind.

Step two was partly because there is a lot of stuff and also because, drat, there are so many types of element now. The two boxes on the right of the image contain baseplates and the remainder of my collection to be sorted. The Ikea units and acro-mils type drawers are practically saturated. Essentially taking a step back, I realised that for many years I have intended to start doing stuff with my Lego, but really I have just been acumulating it because I love the stuff. I am really looking forward in the future to playing with my daughter, but wonder if my efforts sorting will be futile when in a few years time it will be better to dump it all into a pile for her.

Another thought was that it could be quite intimidating to just let her at all this. Perhaps it would be better to "portion" it out or something as I wouldn't want her to be overwhelmed and put off. I think it would make me really happy to see her playing with Lego as it meant so much to me growing up, so I am anxious not to gently caress it up. Has anyone had a similar experience? How did it go? I should stress that I am not an extreme jorts collector, I am not fussed about the purity of my 1990's stuff getting mixed with newer Lego. I don't think it will bother me to let her dismantle my Death Star and I very much intend for it to be "our" Lego and not "my" Lego. I know that some people keep their stuff separate from their children's Lego.

I think it's great you're planning this out. I went overboard on getting sets and the amount of stuff is a bit overwhelming. My wife's been good about trimming down what we have out at any one time, with lots of basic bricks + the shiny jewel and decorative pieces for my older daughter. My younger (4 y.o.) one is all about the individual sets and will request a certain set be found and rebuilt, which leads to frustration if the pieces are all over the place and we have to search for hours. Based on my experiences I would really recommend taking it slow. My old castle lego has stayed in it's own box, not to be mixed with the general collection of new stuff, which has actually turned out really well to have a themed set (of course with the minidolls taking over the old forest hideout as their new tree fort).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serperoth posted:

I'm in no rush, I just wanted to see if I could get it for my birthday on Saturday. If it's not at the generic store, I'll just see about ordering it at the Lego one and take the two weeks of delay

I'm pretty sure they do ship to Greece! Try this link: https://shop.lego.com/en-GR/product/Ford-Mustang-10265

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

My 4 year old son has a huge box of pieces that he goes through to build whatever his imagination comes up with. This box pretty much developed from smaller sets I'd buy him that would inevitably be dismantled within a day or 2. It's okay to have separate "collections", some of the sets for adults are just not for kids. (I'm looking at you Saturn V)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mitochondritom posted:

1. Newborn.

I have a 5 and a 7 year old. They love Lego. They do not respect Lego. I have my own sets on a shelf in my office that I'll let them help me build, and maybe occasionally play with supervised. They have all the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom sets. We had them all set up nice, along with his Minecraft sets on his play table, within say two months it is just a pile of rubble. I tried to organize everything over the winter but they just don't care. I put in 10-20 hours rebuilding every set, sorting blocks etc. and its all a mess again. Granted it was fun to rebuild everything, and it is really cool to build my sets with him, but we have separate Lego and for now, they two shall not meet. Also after Christmas I went a little crazy and stocked up on clearance Lego. I have a big plastic tote with like 15-20 sets. I was over 50% off on all of it, so it is just a present basket anytime I need something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

mitochondritom posted:

Duplo. My nephew was three years old when I started getting him Duplo. As he got older, would transition into more traditional sets. He's ten now, and has no interest in LEGO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, those darn kids treating toys like a toy.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

TacoNight posted:

I think it's great you're planning this out. I went overboard on getting sets and the amount of stuff is a bit overwhelming. My wife's been good about trimming down what we have out at any one time, with lots of basic bricks + the shiny jewel and decorative pieces for my older daughter. My younger (4 y.o.) one is all about the individual sets and will request a certain set be found and rebuilt, which leads to frustration if the pieces are all over the place and we have to search for hours. Based on my experiences I would really recommend taking it slow. My old castle lego has stayed in it's own box, not to be mixed with the general collection of new stuff, which has actually turned out really well to have a themed set (of course with the minidolls taking over the old forest hideout as their new tree fort).

Thanks for your perspective. I am glad someone agrees that it may be overwhelming. I was thinking back to my youth and I can remember getting a "big" set on Christmas or my Birthday and it was a huge deal for me. My collection as a child was built up over a decade and today, my daughter stands to inherit at least 3x that with my impulsive adult spending.

Part of my sorting now is to try to work out what needs replacing for some of my childhood favourites. I think I am going to have to seriously consider making myself some sails for the ships in these sets, as the prices on Bricklink are eye-watering and they don't even have any of the brown ones from the trading post ship.

jassi007 posted:

I have a 5 and a 7 year old. They love Lego. They do not respect Lego. I have my own sets on a shelf in my office that I'll let them help me build, and maybe occasionally play with supervised. They have all the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom sets. We had them all set up nice, along with his Minecraft sets on his play table, within say two months it is just a pile of rubble. I tried to organize everything over the winter but they just don't care. I put in 10-20 hours rebuilding every set, sorting blocks etc. and its all a mess again. Granted it was fun to rebuild everything, and it is really cool to build my sets with him, but we have separate Lego and for now, they two shall not meet. Also after Christmas I went a little crazy and stocked up on clearance Lego. I have a big plastic tote with like 15-20 sets. I was over 50% off on all of it, so it is just a present basket anytime I need something.

Yes, this was my assumption. That the sorting would, inevitably, be for nought. Which is fine by me. Did you introduce Lego to them slowly or just pile on a huge amount of stuff all at once?

Davros1 posted:

Duplo. My nephew was three years old when I started getting him Duplo. As he got older, would transition into more traditional sets. He's ten now, and has no interest in LEGO.

No doubt. She is only 4 months right now, so still too young. But definitely will be obtaining some Duplo for her. I guess my quandry still stands though. Do I one day just "release" her to the lot, or dole it out slowly. I remember my interest in Lego waning around 2001, when Lord of the Rings was released in the cinema. I know this as the last MOC I found when I recovered all my old Lego was my attempt to build the Fellowship. If only Lego had snapped up the license for Lord of the Rings back then, I would have never left! I returned when I was around 20 in 2008, when I discovered Ebay and could snap up all the holy grails of my youth.

xzzy posted:

Yes, those darn kids treating toys like a toy.

It is my ardent goal not to become Lord Business.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You don't have to glue stuff together but if I dumped poo poo in a pile my parents would tell me to clean it up or it's going away for a while

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mitochondritom posted:

It is my ardent goal not to become Lord Business.

I would stash any hard to replace pieces or stuff where normal play wear is guaranteed to destroy them, such as classic space helmets or transparent canopies, but everything else? Toss it all in the bin and let the kids go nuts.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
My kid got her first duplo set at 1 year but at first it was just shapes for her and she’d really only take apart what you’d built for her. Somewhere between 18 and 20 months she started putting pieces together and at two she likes the duplo trains and the cake set the most though she’ll build crude towers and walls.

Somewhere close to two I introduced minifigs and she loves those though she lacks the dexterity to replace the hair pieces or put things back in hands so you have to sit with her. She loved the unikitty tea time set from LEGO movie 2.

I’ll probably introduce one of those juniors toy story 4 sets next. The big pieces make it accessible.

I have sets waiting in the closet for when she’s ready but that’s a ways off. I don’t really keep LEGO out and displayed so it’s less of an issue. What’s out is what’s playable and if there is something I was building for myself I usually disassemble it, rebag and put away to be built again later.

I plan to roll the collection out slowly and if we have a second kid that means a chunk of it will stay put away longer so they get a similar experience instead of just the pre opened sets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My first introduction to lego was a hand-me-down bin full of broken down sets that my older siblings had stopped playing with, which I assumed* was the default natural state of lego even after I started getting my own sets

*correctly :colbert:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
MY 4 year old daughter plays a lot with her Lego, a giant pile of Disney Princess and Friends sets.
Its really only after she turned 3-3,5 and started roleplaying that she took an interest in it.

She never gave two shits about Duplo.

My 1,5 year old boy watches his sister play a bit then fetches the PlayDoh from the toy pile instead. He too doesn't care about Duplo.

I really hope he takes a big liking to Lego and her continuing to like it and picking up an interest in building, as i have a giant pile of unopened sets that i have this plan that we will build together. I own an embarrasingly large amount of Lego and half of it is unopened and waiting for the day the 3 of us will build together. For example i have every single "theme park" set, several hundred pieces of train tracks, several trains with motors, most of the winter village line, about 100 base plates, the Ninjago buildings, anything really that i could see fitting into a theme park.
We also have a fairly large room in the bottom floor of our house that i plan to use as a Lego building zone.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I don't have kids of my own but I run a lodge (don't know how to translate this exactly) for kids in foster care. Basically, I have a bunch of extra children's bedrooms in my house and 3 weekends a month as well as school holidays I have 3 or 4 kids staying over, ages 6 to 18. (Pretty much all of them suffering from trauma, developmental and behavioural issues.)

Basically what I do is I have two big bins of assorted lego, in various states of completion. Most of it my old stuff from when I was a kid, some of it is newer. They're generally pretty careful with sets that have a playability factor. Robots and stuff tend to be kept whole fairly well. But everything in those bins is fair game for them to play with as they wish.

Then I've got a couple of display pieces out of reach, VW van, Wall-E, ship in a bottle, etc. Those are not to be played with at all, or under my supervision if I'm absolutely sure they'll be careful with it. I'd never give Wall-E to a destructive 7 year old, for example, but a calm autistic 14 year old who I know abhors the very idea of a single brick being out of place, sure.

Then there's a couple of sets that fall between those two categories. Those that have a high display quality but also a high playability factor. The carousel and the pop up book, for example, which are also available to be played with but only for those I can trust not to break them or lose pieces, and only when explicitly given permission, and only in a controlled environment, like at the kitchen table where I can keep an eye on it. With the strict understanding that they can play, but not build.

Kinda Lord Businessy, I guess, but necessary.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

xzzy posted:

I would stash any hard to replace pieces or stuff where normal play wear is guaranteed to destroy them, such as classic space helmets or transparent canopies, but everything else? Toss it all in the bin and let the kids go nuts.

I sorted these guys out to keep them safe from myself. The classic space guys pre-date me. I think they were my uncles. I am of the Space Police II, Blacktron II, Ice Planet and Spyruis era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mitochondritom posted:

Thanks for your perspective. I am glad someone agrees that it may be overwhelming. I was thinking back to my youth and I can remember getting a "big" set on Christmas or my Birthday and it was a huge deal for me. My collection as a child was built up over a decade and today, my daughter stands to inherit at least 3x that with my impulsive adult spending.

Part of my sorting now is to try to work out what needs replacing for some of my childhood favourites. I think I am going to have to seriously consider making myself some sails for the ships in these sets, as the prices on Bricklink are eye-watering and they don't even have any of the brown ones from the trading post ship.

Yes, this was my assumption. That the sorting would, inevitably, be for nought. Which is fine by me. Did you introduce Lego to them slowly or just pile on a huge amount of stuff all at once?

It was gradual. Duplo for 2-5ish years old, then some basic lego buckets, then some sets. The Duplo motorized train was a big hit, as were barnyard animals. My older son never really cared that much about cars and trucks, he's also loved video games and dino's etc. So minecraft and Jurassic Park sets are great. My younger son loves cars, so speed champions, police sets with bad guys are a big hit with him. We've branched into some super hero stuff also, they both like DC and Marvel. Star Wars has not been a big hit with them. My older son loves to build things, but doesn't play with them a TON. My younger son isn't as interested in building, though he is a little, but he likes playing more.

Regarding sails. I have a Black Sea's Barracuda and Caribbean Clipper that need new sails. I've been eyeballing these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Substitut-...353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Substituti...353.m1438.l2649

Repro's but who cares about that for the sails? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, the ships are at my dads house. He loves them from my childhood so they're on his dresser in his bedroom.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 6, 2019