Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Splicer posted:

As an AI in a flesh body I disagree

Imagine being an advanced AI and still posting on somethingawful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

There Bias Two posted:

Imagine being an advanced AI and still posting on somethingawful

It's why I don't think I'm all that advanced...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
every next page update like this has about a 50% chance of going *blip* done or murderwolf HWARGFHGRBLH and I can never tell which one it will be

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I appreciate the big setup for the computer-assisted Reynard transfer coming to nothing because it makes this more ominous somehow.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I haven’t read the Coyote side story, so I have to ask: does it just take one guy dieing in the desert to turn Coyote into a god? Because if so, that doesn’t bode well for Arthur. I’d be surprised if poo poo hits the fan immediately, but yeah, maybe things don’t go off without a hitch this time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Just gonna emptyquote myself.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I haven’t read the Coyote side story, so I have to ask: does it just take one guy dieing in the desert to turn Coyote into a god? Because if so, that doesn’t bode well for Arthur. I’d be surprised if poo poo hits the fan immediately, but yeah, maybe things don’t go off without a hitch this time.

I haven't either but no, this really seems like a collective consciousness type thing. And I don't think it's Coyote was a coyote who became a god, it's that Coyote is a god created by humans creating myths based around the concept of a coyote.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just assume Gunnerkrigg-verse runs on SMT rules: human thoughts and beliefs shape and give form to the supernatural medium. So gods and spirits exist first because early humans believe they existed based off flawed observations of the natural world, and now continue to exist because modern humans believe their stories and the concepts they represent (law, chaos, love, hate, etc) should continue to exist.

Guess I should say physical sentients' thoughts and beliefs, given Kat and the robit cult.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 7, 2019

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's sort of a group consciousness thing, but only by proxy. The ether is shaped when people die and their minds are absorbed into it. Eventually enough people died believing in Coyote that Coyote became a god that always existed. But since we can break causality like that, and people die attributing that godhood to the coyote watching them, who's to say the first coyote to be deified that way didn't become Coyote? Except, well, there's a side story about Coyote that probably talks about it, so I asked.

Considering how closely it is tied to death, Tom's depiction of the ether is actually rather optimistic. :unsmith:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Annie, the Court robots have found our base! You need to keep them away from the Robot Brain Uploader for 10 minutes so the upload can finish! Use that laser turret to protect the lab!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

"Fine so far."

Kat has one job; let her be good at it, Tom. Just because her job is the entirety of mad science, it still counts as one.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
so who's the rat bastard who dreamed up loup

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Coyote?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://butt.holdings/

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

But the real joke is Coyote just hasn’t remembered he’s not dead yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dragon enthusiast posted:

so who's the rat bastard who dreamed up loup
deviant art

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I think everything will be fine and Arthur will be fine and maybe will share useful information about the robots and then Arthur and Juliette will live happily ever after. :colbert:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Probably a coincidence but the pod they're using for this is very similar to the ones the court uses to put fairy and animal spirits into human bodies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

tudabee posted:

I think everything will be fine and Arthur will be fine and maybe will share useful information about the robots and then Arthur and Juliette will live happily ever after. :colbert:

:same:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It also came up in this thread...seven years ago.

I have remembered that post all this time and I am so glad it is finally happening.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Brightman posted:

Probably a coincidence but the pod they're using for this is very similar to the ones the court uses to put fairy and animal spirits into human bodies.

Given they are transferring consciousness into a newly grown body I think its probably not coincidence at all

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When Kat tells her mom she's just making new friends today...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arthur is sent on a sacred quest by (Machine) God

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well that's mildly alarming.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
That appears to be a disturbance in the fabric of the space-time continuum.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Nothing says love like gravitational anomalies

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Everything is going okay so far. :downs:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Etheric distortion?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I AM WALL-GOLEM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fuuuuuck they're opening the Vault, better get some sick guns outta this

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course it falls to the God of Robots to awaken new life.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Whatever bursts out of that reality warp is going to look like a Metal Gear, isn't it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Walter Peck, I told you not to pull that switch!!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
I'm a little disturbed that the warp seems to be centered around a gate topped with a "D."

Diego coming back as an evil Machine God would just make matters lovely.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm a little disturbed that the warp seems to be centered around a gate topped with a "D."

Diego coming back as an evil Machine God would just make matters lovely.

Donlan

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This story was never about Annie!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
All this build-up and everything will probably be just fine. A big ol' psych out.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Demiurge4 posted:

This story was never about Annie!

Deuteragonist, and Annie is the POV character. Kat definitely has the more compelling story, though.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 10, 2019

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
Annie is just part of Annie's elaborate backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What if Annie herself is just a creature from the ether and that's why she is able to channel it so well (uh, relatively), and all that stuff about her mother and family history before the Court became real because she believe it was real just like Coyote