Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Baked tofu, chickpea, and spinach curry.

Really tofu two ways, as part of my block didn't press out well enough to hold up to being tossed, so I minced it and stirred it in with the chickpeas.

Can I get a recipe for this? always looking for new vegan meals for :siren:MY WIFE:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PinkoBastard posted:

Can I get a recipe for this? always looking for new vegan meals for :siren:MY WIFE:siren:

It is pretty lazy, since I was cooking at 6am and also made egg salad, tuna salad, and shrimp and sausage jambalaya for lunches at the same time.

1 12oz block of extra firm tofu, pressed under a plate and a weight for half an hour to firm it up further, then cubed. Tossed with 1 TB olive oil followed by 1 TB cornstarch and salt/pepper/garlic powder. Arrange on a baking sheet, bake at 400 degrees for 15m, flip the cubes, then 15m more.

While that's baking, mince an onion, and toss it in a large saucepan to fry with a bit more oil. Once the onions start to turn translucent, add a clove or so of minced garlic and a drained and rinsed can of chickpeas. Salt, pepper, red pepper, and garam masala. Fry for another minute or two, then dump in a jar of vindaloo sauce, put the lid on, and reduce to simmer.

Simmer 15m, then add the tofu and a couple good handfuls of spinach leaves, then put the lid back on until the spinach wilts, and serve over rice.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Even the (ex)professional cook cheats and uses doctored up jar curry. I am vindicated. Yusss!

E: also I'm totally making that sometime, sounds ballin'. I might add some mushrooms instead of the tofu because my family dislikes tofu. I might tell em to shove it, time will tell.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 30, 2019

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It is pretty lazy, since I was cooking at 6am and also made egg salad, tuna salad, and shrimp and sausage jambalaya for lunches at the same time.

1 12oz block of extra firm tofu, pressed under a plate and a weight for half an hour to firm it up further, then cubed. Tossed with 1 TB olive oil followed by 1 TB cornstarch and salt/pepper/garlic powder. Arrange on a baking sheet, bake at 400 degrees for 15m, flip the cubes, then 15m more.

While that's baking, mince an onion, and toss it in a large saucepan to fry with a bit more oil. Once the onions start to turn translucent, add a clove or so of minced garlic and a drained and rinsed can of chickpeas. Salt, pepper, red pepper, and garam masala. Fry for another minute or two, then dump in a jar of vindaloo sauce, put the lid on, and reduce to simmer.

Simmer 15m, then add the tofu and a couple good handfuls of spinach leaves, then put the lid back on until the spinach wilts, and serve over rice.

Thanks man :cheers:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I use a lot of jarred curries because I can't be arsed and they're delicious. Tried doing that cracked coconut method on Sunday before adding a healthy amount of madras curry, garlic, and ginger and holy hell I was not expecting it to make that big of a difference. The coconut flavor shined through way more than any time we've made it previously, so thanks to whoever suggested that!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Dr. Krieger posted:

Pork chop, ajvar, & spinich salad

Huh, I have a thing of ajvar somewhere. Question is kind of "where exactly" but I never did figure out what to do with it.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

angerbeet posted:

Huh, I have a thing of ajvar somewhere. Question is kind of "where exactly" but I never did figure out what to do with it.

Yeah that's how I stumbled into that lunch, was really good. I only had panko and bone in pork chops but was similar to a meal I had in Croatia years ago except they went more Milanese style

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kumba posted:

I use a lot of jarred curries because I can't be arsed and they're delicious. Tried doing that cracked coconut method on Sunday before adding a healthy amount of madras curry, garlic, and ginger and holy hell I was not expecting it to make that big of a difference. The coconut flavor shined through way more than any time we've made it previously, so thanks to whoever suggested that!

Shocking, right? I can tell if Thai restaurants do that by tasting the food, and I find it makes a huge difference. Five steps to an amazing curry. You'll never forget them.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

A couple of my friends are in Japan this week posting all their delicious food, and I woke up this morning to the smell of a neighbor making curry so I had to do this curry rice tonight.

First new thing I've cooked in a while so I wanted to share. Definitely going in the rotation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pan fried chicken, gravy and rice. Homemade finnish Sima for beverage.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Weekend activities:

Mussels and sourdough:

Burgers:

I probably should have swapped days as it was 65 and sunny for the mussels to be had outside, and then turned around to me grilling in the rain for burgers that had to be eaten inside. But goddammit I wanted a burger.

Mussels were just steamed over a pot of onion, garlic, parsley, butter, wine, tomato, and some heavy cream. We saved a third of the mussels to throw into the leftover sauce and puree it, makes a nice fishy sauce I'll throw on tortellini or something as an easy dinner later. Sourdough was slightly under proofed but i ran out of time and the starter was chilled - think in the future I'll take it out of the fridge the day before i want to use it, give it a fresh feeding, and leave it on the counter overnight. Make sure that I don't have to extend rises too long. Tasted fine but the crumb wasn't as pretty as it could have been.

Burgers were a sirloin, chuck, brisket blend with salt, pepper, and worchestershire. Bun > burger sauce > patty > cheddar > bacon jam > tomato > lettuce > bun glazed with butter and everything bagel mix.

e; (the burger cross section was my 2nd, and it was the smallest burger on the biggest bun, but you get the idea)

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 6, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oh my loving god.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Holy poo poo man, gimme them moules

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Nephzinho posted:

Weekend activities:

Mussels and sourdough:

Yo I'm gonna need an invite for next time. That looks dope, and what a great outdoor space.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Framboise posted:

I would make onigiri/sushi all the drat time if I could ever get the seasoning right. It always ends up being way too sugary or way too vinegary.

Onigiri is usually plain unsalted / unseasoned rice, unless it's a special sushi style onigiri like a masuzushi onigiri sold at a convenience store. Go wild with the rice balls!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Mongoose posted:

Onigiri is usually plain unsalted / unseasoned rice, unless it's a special sushi style onigiri like a masuzushi onigiri sold at a convenience store. Go wild with the rice balls!

Huh, really? I always thought it was essentially made of the same style of seasoned rice you'd make nigiri with or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nah, plain rice, and salt the exterior liberally when packing them.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Grilled some wangs last night.

Such spicy jerk.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ooh excellent wings!

We red braised some pork and some tofu, and ate it with three kinds of pickles and some lovely soba

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Framboise posted:

Huh, really? I always thought it was essentially made of the same style of seasoned rice you'd make nigiri with or something.

Nope. That said, I prefer to use sushi seasoned rice when I make it, or at least to mix the rice with furikake. More flavor is good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Burgers need eggs. :colbert:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Liquid Communism posted:

Burgers need eggs. :colbert:

Add a grilled pineapple ring, some sliced pickled beetroot, canadian bacon and baby, you got an aussie burger with the lot :australia:

pim01 posted:

We red braised some pork

I'm gonna do the same in my new IP this weekend! Did you use the SA Chinese food thread recipe?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ranter posted:

I'm gonna do the same in my new IP this weekend! Did you use the SA Chinese food thread recipe?

I've based my version on Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe, as it's nice snd sweet and sticky, and reminds me most of the really good red braised porks I've had in China and Singapore.

If you use the IP (never used it for red braising, but dont see why it wouldn't work), its probably best to make sure you reduce the sauce after, or cut the water used at the start. Its nicest when it coats the meat and is lovely and shiny :)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ranter posted:

Add a grilled pineapple ring, some sliced pickled beetroot, canadian bacon and baby, you got an aussie burger with the lot :australia:

Resident burger eating :australia: checking in to say no, we don't put baby on our burgers

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

iajanus posted:

Resident burger eating :australia: checking in to say no, we don't put baby on our burgers

I thought you fried them up and served them on the side

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

iajanus posted:

What about dingo?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

iajanus posted:

touche

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Pineapple fried rice with chicken thigh.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

I thought you fried them up and served them on the side

Exactly.

Also gently caress off pineapple, that's a trash burger item

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

iajanus posted:

Exactly.

Need it to cover the flavor of the marsupial meat they cut the beef with.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Stringent posted:

Need it to cover the flavor of the marsupial meat they cut the beef with.

my local permanent fast food caravan (the kind open til 5am used by taxi drivers and drunks after the pub) back in the day mixed coles snag meat into their beef patties. Was actually pretty good. Their chips gravy was as black as my step-grandmother's heart and you could get vegemite on your all pork-rear end in a top hat hotdogs. poo poo was legit.

Also its not a burger with the lot unless its got the pineapple and beetroot, fight me iajanus.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 10, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Exactly.

Look at you taking umbrage with the pineapple and not the pickles or the mustard, tomato sauce combo instead of bbq sauce. Hand in your thongs and eureka stockade flag tattoo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've got stuff in the sous vide, but I'm not even going to open the bag because I would rather just eat another of these.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

jobson groeth posted:

Look at you taking umbrage with the pineapple and not the pickles or the mustard, tomato sauce combo instead of bbq sauce. Hand in your thongs and eureka stockade flag tattoo.

loving bbq sauce can gently caress off too. The exception is the reaper chilli bbq sauce I got from the markets in the weekend, that can stay

And that snag meat idea sounds like a winner

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Did a scratch pizza using the Flour Water Salt Heat method. Absolutely kicked the rear end of the pre-made crusts I used to use.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kinda looks like a metroid

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Can you elaborate on the method, that looks delicious

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I've got some elephant garlic growing this year and they have some lovely scapes. Does anyone have something to recommend to do with them besides sauteing in butter. Dont get me wrong. I love them that way. Just looking for some ideas.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ZombieCrew posted:

I've got some elephant garlic growing this year and they have some lovely scapes. Does anyone have something to recommend to do with them besides sauteing in butter. Dont get me wrong. I love them that way. Just looking for some ideas.

Make aioli or pesto with them. Buy the very best quality pasta and make aglio e olio with them. Make a compound butter out of them and put it on steak or in chicken kiev. Wilt them into a white bean salad or over blanched green beans. Make a bootleg wild garlic soup. Put them en papillote with some monkfish or swordfish and a bit of spinach or samphire if you can get it. Make a coleslaw with apples and fennel and add the scapes whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

They're also awesome done the szechuanese way - stir-fried with some smoked streaky bacon.