Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Let's hope the successor is among the devices announced on Feb 20th. I sure hope the continuous HR has improved. Seems like the version enabled afterwards via software on the GF2 ran on the main MCU. Fitbit uses a low-power coprocessor for that instead. Up to three days of runtime on a charge would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I get three days on my gear fit 2 non pro but HR is off

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Theres leaked renders of the versa successor and man I hope they dont go with those hideous colors because band coordination is gonna be a bitch

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they'll add NFC to a gear fit successor. I like how the fit 2 has everything I need and nothing I don't, but maybe that'd be useful if it doesn't affect battery life too much.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy Watch and have a couple questions. How functional is it when paired with an Apple phone? How well does the HR monitor work during exercise? How well does the GPS work during running or biking? I've heard mixed reviews on all these things.

1- Don't know.
2- HR monitor is bad. Like freak out when you climb stairs rapidly bad, never mind during actual exercise. If you only do steady state cardio with a nice and gentle increase in heart rate, it might be okay. Otherwise, you're going to need a chest strap.
3- I've only used GPS on runs in open spaces with clear weather, so not exactly the toughest conditions, but it performed well. On par with my phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Given the leaked price points of both the Fit and Fit e, I expect them to be not good. Definitely don't look good design wise.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given the leaked price points of both the Fit and Fit e, I expect them to be not good. Definitely don't look good design wise.

What are the price points? Cheaper than the gear fit? drat, I'm needing a replacement for mine, if they suck (they already look worse) then I'll be sad

Edit: around 100 and 50 dollars? welp, looks like they're courting the aliexpress crowd (which would be me before getting the gear fit 2). While it might be better than cheap chinese stuff, there's no way it will be any good. Very skeptical here. I was hoping for NFC but there's no way that's happening with this one

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 20, 2019

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, a full week of battery on the fit. There's no way it's not a toned down version of the gear fit

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The not-E looks acceptable on the press pictures. Certainly looks like the band is interchangeable, unlike the E version. At this point, I'd the very least need something that syncs reliably, and does HR better than my Charge 3. However I can't find any decent info whether it'll finally do continuous HR without eating the battery alive.

Also, the Galaxy Active does monitor blood pressure? What? How even? Doesn't seem like there's balloons in the arm band like on that Omron smartwatch.

--edit: The Gear Fit 2 lists a dual core 1GHz Exynos as CPU, where as the Galaxy Active and Fit list a 96MHz Cortex M3 with an M0 as coprocessor. So yeah, definitely not a successor.
--edit: Wait no, the Active has a dual core Exynos. The spec sheet is broken. But the Galaxy Fit still appears not to be a successor to the GF2(P).

--edit: The new Fit doesn't even seem final. The Samsung product page is a whole lot of nothing with this big disclaimer: "Design, GUI and features are subject to change without prior notice."

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 20, 2019

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
like in the presentation, they just don't give a drat about it, and it's a month away

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Galaxy Watch, that 42mm and 46mm, that display size or watch size?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Galaxy Watch, that 42mm and 46mm, that display size or watch size?

Watch size (at its smallest, really). Display size is 30mm and 33mm, respectively.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finally got a Galaxy Watch. Syncing it to Samsung Health is so fast, it's ridiculous... when coming from the Fitbit poo poo show. Hope the continuous HR is usable. There's a lot of complaints, but then again, checking the Fitbit forums, same story there.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Finally got a Galaxy Watch. Syncing it to Samsung Health is so fast, it's ridiculous... when coming from the Fitbit poo poo show. Hope the continuous HR is usable. There's a lot of complaints, but then again, checking the Fitbit forums, same story there.

Reminded me of when I traded my Nokia 5800 for an Android phone. That touch-ified Symbian was so bad.

Daily HR monitoring really is worse, though, and so is sleep tracking (but step count is better). I abandoned all Health-related features after a couple of weeks of use, what's the point if you can't trust the data.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Who knows. A lot of it is in the algorithms, because how different can a PPG sensor be. I guess we have to sit it out again until Samsung got there iteratively, like with the phones. Maybe they buy Fitbit in the meanwhile. Their algorithms are definitely better, just the hardware side of it is loving terrible.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Combat Pretzel posted:

I bought one for the second time after being disappointed in how tiny/cheap the Active is.

Found the Galaxy Watch kinda useless with my Pixel but now that I have an S10+ it's a great addition. Samsung is killing it lately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The continuous HRM is peculiar. There's a few occasions during the day, it sets out for a few minutes, altho when starting the stress app when I catch it doing it, it is able to measure pulsing. There's a new update coming, and it is saying that HRM is improved (again).

Went running with it an hour ago the first time, the HRM seemed relatively reliable. Whenever Runtastic called out my HR of my Polar belt every minute, the watch was spot on (1-2 beats off occasionally). I guess I got lucky (that or it is eavesdropping on any HR devices on the phone via the Health app). For now. I got a nylon wrist band for the watch, tho. More comfortable and the watch sits better in place and doesn't move as much, that probably helps. Should probably get a second one to be able to clean it.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 30, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I picked up a Versa Lite yesterday and one of the features I wanted it for isn't working right.

I can't seem to keep the watch paired with my phone (Pixel 2) to have music controls. When I go into the settings, it says Bluetooth is off. I set it to pair, connect my phone, and the controls come up. I'm able to pause and skip tracks. Minutes later, it says "no phone connected" and when I check Bluetooth in the settings, it's back to "off".

Anything I'm missing? Otherwise, I think I'm going to return it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Welcome to Fitbit!

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Have been reading the last few pages because Im looking for a HRM watch. Had my eye on the charge3 but it sounds like most HRM watches are actually poo poo?

Do any watches perform better than the charge3? Online reviews Ive come across all say the watch is fine :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Anyone have a Gear S3 Frontier?

My Vivoactive 3 got smashed in a bike hit and run so I'm looking for a new smartwatch, and figured I should be open-minded and look at all platforms/options. I just really don't want Wear OS.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I had one but didn't like it because it wants to tie into a bunch of samsung apps and it didn't work well with my non-samsung Android phone

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I had one but didn't like it because it wants to tie into a bunch of samsung apps and it didn't work well with my non-samsung Android phone

That's one item I was curious about. I don't do a ton of interactions with apps on my smartwatches, but I would like simple notification interaction like being able to dismiss, mark as read, filter, etc. I don't care about interactive replies, voice commands, etc.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's one item I was curious about. I don't do a ton of interactions with apps on my smartwatches, but I would like simple notification interaction like being able to dismiss, mark as read, filter, etc. I don't care about interactive replies, voice commands, etc.

I like my enjoy gear S3 frontier. Latest update made battery life pretty drat good. I have used it on a pixel, moto and now a Note 9. Always worked well on those phones. I think I like to so much because no one ever thinks it's a smart watch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I like my enjoy gear S3 frontier. Latest update made battery life pretty drat good. I have used it on a pixel, moto and now a Note 9. Always worked well on those phones. I think I like to so much because no one ever thinks it's a smart watch.

That's the main thing that draws me to it. It doesn't *look* like a typical smartwatch, and looks really great physically.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have the newer Galaxy Watch. Notification generally work, altho they're mainly just text based, at least for non-Samsung apps. You can even interact with some of them. When I get WhatsApp notifications, I can reply to them on the watch.

Battery life on the Samsung smart watches seems to be generally nearly double of that of Wear OS watches with similar battery specs.

cougar cub posted:

Have been reading the last few pages because Im looking for a HRM watch. Had my eye on the charge3 but it sounds like most HRM watches are actually poo poo?

Do any watches perform better than the charge3? Online reviews Ive come across all say the watch is fine :confused:
I had a Charge 3 for quite a while. It's a decent device in principle, looks pretty great with the silicone sports band, which is also more comfortable than the stock one.

The issue is mainly that Bluetooth on it is flaky as gently caress. It has always been with Fitbits, I don't know why. So at times, if you intend to use it for running and want to use the Connected GPS functionality, it's often a lottery. During general use, when it acts up, either it eats battery on your phone when you have All Day Sync enabled, or you'll be throwing a fit that it takes ages to sync, or even requires you to cycle the BT stack on the phone off and on, when you do it on-demand.

I don't know what Fitbit's doing. Any Vivosmart device I could appreciate synced in seconds. The Galaxy Watch I have does too. Fitbit? Neither my Charge HR nor my Charge 3 ever did. Even those Mii Bands worked better in regards to on-demand sync.

As for the HRM, the PPG sensors are generally a bit flaky. For me they worked largely OK, albeit there's still a bunch of weird HR readings, where it thinks I'm modestly active while I'm chilling sitting somewhere, and it needs like 5-10 minutes to figure something's off and reset. Applies to my Charge 3 as well as my Galaxy Watch.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 30, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

My Charge 2 doesn't have any problems staying connected with my OG Pixel. But I do know lots of people have problems with Fitbit bluetooth. My wife is always having problems with her Versa and her OG Pixel.

Anyway, I find the HRM on the Charge 2 to be decent. Not as good as my Polar chest strap, but it seems to be good enough.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

I picked up a Versa Lite yesterday and one of the features I wanted it for isn't working right.

I can't seem to keep the watch paired with my phone (Pixel 2) to have music controls. When I go into the settings, it says Bluetooth is off. I set it to pair, connect my phone, and the controls come up. I'm able to pause and skip tracks. Minutes later, it says "no phone connected" and when I check Bluetooth in the settings, it's back to "off".

Anything I'm missing? Otherwise, I think I'm going to return it.

Oh hey, we're walking the same path!

Amazfit Pace owner here, saw the Versa on sale at CostCo and decided to try it out for the weekend. CostCo's return policy is generous enough that I can return it for a full refund no questions asked if I don't like it.

I'm still on the fence about what to do with it. I love the form factor - slimmer and lighter than the Pace. The Versa's more comfortable, which means I can actually use the sleep tracking features. The step tracking and heart monitor seem more accurate than the Pace, too. The Versa also looks better on my wrist. I don't need a million smartwatch features, but notifications, quick replies, weather, and music controls are ideal. I am willing to sacrifice an always-on display for buttons - the Versa's motion activation has been reliable so far anyway. No GPS sucks, along with requiring my phone to have location service turned on in order to sync.

...But I can't get music controls to work at all, and I've tried every suggestion from all the FAQ's I could find. Even the "solutions" revolve around de- and re-syncing each time a music app is used, which is ridiculous and still doesn't work for me. Can't Amazfit just put buttons on their Bip and call it a day? A relatively sleek smartwatch with button controls for under $200 must be a no man's land for profit margins.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fitbit is pretty good in regards to sleep tracking. Actual measured times fit pretty much actual bed times, regardless of what happened before or during the day, no matter how chill you were and how low your HR was. My Galaxy Watch tends to count chill sessions on my PC during the day or right before bed time as actual sleep.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Space Fish posted:

Oh hey, we're walking the same path!

I ended up returning it and getting an Inspire HR and wearing it with my old Timex Weekender as a watch. Killed all the notifications, just use it for activity tracking.

Things I don't like about it:
-it sticks up a bit proud and tends to dig into my bony wrist at times, especially when sleeping (I turn it to the inside of my wrist at night, now).
-doesn't recognize me doing aerobics automatically and there is no generic exercise activity for me to start (there was on the Versa).
-the screen keeps turning on randomly despite being set to manual. No idea what's causing it.
-I keep having to answer "why are you wearing two watches." gently caress you, that's why.

I do like the app, though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

I ended up returning it

I was at work and the weather looked vaguely gloomy so I hit the weather app and... it needed to sync again? So I pulled out my phone to sync and the Versa... was still weather-blind? As if it needed to connect to wifi on its own?

Holy poo poo, even the Pace knows well enough to store a week's worth of weather forecasts, and transmits data through Bluetooth for ease + efficiency.

Returning the Versa at my earliest convenience, what a failed experiment.

Edit: ooh, Bip 2 coming this summer, I'll hold out til then.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 5, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I ended up getting a 46mm Galaxy Watch and I absolutely love this thing. By far the best smartwatch experience I've had, and the bezel navigation is superb. It's a joy to use. Plus it lasts actual days on a charge, had it on and actively using since 7:30 this morning, it's 7pm now, and it's at 89%!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
2 full days of use and I'm at 70%, this is surreal. What a great watch.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I snagged a Xiaomi MiBand 3 for super basic tracking of steps, sleep, and cycling so I'll let y'all know if it sucks rear end! For $30 if it blows chunks I'm not exactly out a ton and my skin crawls at the idea of having a 24hr biotracker feeding my boners to somebody in China so there's no point in going whole hog on a top end device.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I ended up getting a 46mm Galaxy Watch and I absolutely love this thing. By far the best smartwatch experience I've had, and the bezel navigation is superb. It's a joy to use. Plus it lasts actual days on a charge, had it on and actively using since 7:30 this morning, it's 7pm now, and it's at 89%!

CLAM DOWN posted:

2 full days of use and I'm at 70%, this is surreal. What a great watch.

You are connecting to a Samsung phone with it? I wonder how well it works on another company's phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

minusX posted:

You are connecting to a Samsung phone with it? I wonder how well it works on another company's phone.

No, a Pixel 3. It works normally, Samsung addressed that.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, a Pixel 3. It works normally, Samsung addressed that.

Oh nice, I had heard of issues previously. Color me very interested. Do you have to download different apps for it?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Space Fish posted:

I was at work and the weather looked vaguely gloomy so I hit the weather app and... it needed to sync again? So I pulled out my phone to sync and the Versa... was still weather-blind? As if it needed to connect to wifi on its own?

Holy poo poo, even the Pace knows well enough to store a week's worth of weather forecasts, and transmits data through Bluetooth for ease + efficiency.

Returning the Versa at my earliest convenience, what a failed experiment.

Edit: ooh, Bip 2 coming this summer, I'll hold out til then.

I've never had good luck with the fitbit apps themselves, the watch face weather displays are usually better. Fitbit is good at activity and sleep tracking, not so good as a smartwatch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

minusX posted:

Oh nice, I had heard of issues previously. Color me very interested. Do you have to download different apps for it?

Yeah it definitely had this issue previously. I had read it was fixed, so that's what led me to checking out this one. The only Samsung thing you have to use is S Health, which is actually a decent app. And obviously the Galaxy Watch/Wearables control and management app which works just fine. Very stable connection, transfers watch faces quickly, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm glad to read this, I've had my eye on one since January. Do you excercise and use it? I read some bad reviews about its ability to track workouts.