Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Is it just me or are most the frontlines maps massively red favoured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Is it just me or are most the frontlines maps massively red favoured?

Mounitain Peak feels fairly even, but yeah especially Camp and Taiga seem pretty lopsided. In both the Blues have to attack the central point across a river through a narrow chokepoint, with the main flanking route going right past the red respawn, whereas red has a much easier selection of paths into it from their side. Also on Camp red gets a catapult for shits and giggles, while blue gets a lovely ballista that can't hit anything useful. :psyduck:

VVVV Weird, on Camp I have literally never seen blue even manage to fulfill the "blow up the siege towers" objective :v: VVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Agreed on Mountain Peak. Taiga is absolutely the worst in that department, the only time I've seen Blues win was when the Reds were really, really bad. Reds also tend to win on Grad in my experience. I've seen Blues win more often on Camp than Reds, though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nalesh posted:

Is he using the directional key mode for swing angle?

Also what's the point of throwing knives, they just seem like worse throwing axes, do you get more of em or something?

I think he says he uses default everything on 240 mode, except he removed the discrete binds for parry and fient and uses the combined option (where if you are swinging and right click once you fient, if you double click it parries).

edit: oh and looks like he does chose attack direction AFTER click, which I don't think is default.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 6, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nalesh posted:

Also what's the point of throwing knives, they just seem like worse throwing axes, do you get more of em or something?

you do indeed - throwing knives come in sets of 4 rather than sets of 2

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Plus they're harder to spot on the ground so less chance of some knave flinging them back at you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I made my own server and played horde mode with myself + 64 friendly bots. It was pretty fun.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't stop playing this game, I see it when I close my eyes at night.

Please add more maps, but otherwise I have 0 complaints. At least all the frontline maps seem relatively dialed in although I think they need to make variants for 8v8,24v24, and 32v32

It would be nice if you could somehow tell where your squad mates are when you make a squad with your friends, but that's not really a complaint.

soy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 6, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'd like to turn off team colors and instead have a green dot over friendlies heads like mount and blade.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd like to turn off team colors and instead have a green dot over friendlies heads like mount and blade.

ya my friends who are all arcade babies would not stop whining about friendly fire and not being able to tell who is who, I personally like the chaos and confusion but I'm a sim grog

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

soy posted:

Please add more maps, but otherwise I have 0 complaints.

It would be nice if you could somehow tell where your squad mates are when you make a squad with your friends, but that's not really a complaint.

Hopefully they push out workshop support soon, so the community can take off building their own maps.

Devs said they have 2 official maps coming soon which is cool I guess.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Go full naked with the pants that only half of which turns the team's colours and slip into the enemy lines from the side. Enjoy confusing people as you casually get ignored until the cowards in the back line are brutally murdered.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'd like to turn off team colours, too, but I have enough trouble accidentally stabbing blood-soaked Blues as it is.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Beans posted:

Hopefully they push out workshop support soon, so the community can take off building their own maps.

Devs said they have 2 official maps coming soon which is cool I guess.

I hope the community maps have tons of elaborate death machines I can kick people into.

That sawmill thing is hilarious.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

soy posted:

Please add more maps, but otherwise I have 0 complaints.

I'm in the same boat, been getting the tetris effect with messers and halberds for a couple days. Definitely want to see more maps, especially a proper duelyard. Camp and the pit are the best duel maps so far imo, grad's interior areas make it piss poor for something like duels, and contraband is okay but gets crowded easily.

Keep seeing people talk about using binds and stuff instead of 240. Does it really offer that much of a benefit? I played a lot of warband in addition to the much more similar Chivalry, so picking the direction of the swing with the mouse in mordhau came super naturally to me. I could see it being harder to pick up if you're only used to something like Chiv, but I question whether it actually offers a solid benefit. I also see a lot of chiv people getting heated about morphs, calling them feints :v: no-feinting was popular in chivalry duels but it seems like a really pointless stance to take in mordhau. They work really well and flow very naturally with attacks, so there's no excuse to try to work them in! Especially with stamina, the feints are still tame compared to eurofeints from warband! The addition of chambering is also a great counter to feints and morphs. I'm just glad they made it more obvious that chambering is a thing, I spent probably 200 hours in warband duels before I properly picked it up :haw:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People swear by both methods, peronally I have a real right side dominance so chambering people becomes pretty difficult with 240 since most people are right side dominant.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

timn posted:

So I was hitting a wall with the 2h spear due to lovely damage and decided to give the halberd a whirl and:

Holy poo poo, when you absolutely have to kill every motherfucker on the battlefield, accept no substitutes.

I like the halberd.too. I kind of laugh to myself every time I do an overhead slash at max range on someone engaging a team mate and just mangle them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fox Cunning posted:

Firepots are pretty bs. But what is really bs is two handed weapons on horseback.

Firepots are way more dangerous than they were in Chivalry. I stand in the fire for 1.5 seconds without even noticing, oops, I'm dead.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Fireproof is one point. That and tenacious are my "must have" perks.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Diogines posted:

I like the halberd.too. I kind of laugh to myself every time I do an overhead slash at max range on someone engaging a team mate and just mangle them.

:yeah:

Even better when it's one of those sweet, sweet 200 point 1-hit headshots on someone without a real helmet.

Closely followed by doing the same to a guy charging you on a horse, knocking him off and following up with another execution-style as he lays stunned on the ground.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I haven’t gotten a feel for fire pot damage because sometimes I will step in one and take like five damage and later I will try to run through one and die immediately. Not sure how it works but it doesn’t seem like it’s a flat damage per second.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I rode a very wounded horse through it and the wonky rear end in a top hat physics launched me like 60 feet away it was p. rad

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

This game rules. Having never played a similar game it was a little frustrating at first but after an hour I was grinning like an idiot hollering and smashing people to bits with the Veteran.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Telltolin posted:

I'm in the same boat, been getting the tetris effect with messers and halberds for a couple days. Definitely want to see more maps, especially a proper duelyard. Camp and the pit are the best duel maps so far imo, grad's interior areas make it piss poor for something like duels, and contraband is okay but gets crowded easily.

Keep seeing people talk about using binds and stuff instead of 240. Does it really offer that much of a benefit? I played a lot of warband in addition to the much more similar Chivalry, so picking the direction of the swing with the mouse in mordhau came super naturally to me. I could see it being harder to pick up if you're only used to something like Chiv, but I question whether it actually offers a solid benefit. I also see a lot of chiv people getting heated about morphs, calling them feints :v: no-feinting was popular in chivalry duels but it seems like a really pointless stance to take in mordhau. They work really well and flow very naturally with attacks, so there's no excuse to try to work them in! Especially with stamina, the feints are still tame compared to eurofeints from warband! The addition of chambering is also a great counter to feints and morphs. I'm just glad they made it more obvious that chambering is a thing, I spent probably 200 hours in warband duels before I properly picked it up :haw:
In the end it comes down to personal preference. Binds are certainly more consistent. Depending on your play style it may also free you up to focus on your footwork. Being slightly quicker with your attacks can be a big advantage. On the other hand, most directional slashes we usually work fine if they don't block, so in that instance it hardly matters how you are attacking if they screwed up their parry.

I keep switching back and forth between the two styles and I can't decide which I like more. I think that for longer-range weapons like the halberd, spear, estoc and zweihander I prefer binds. For short-range high damage weapons like the waraex I definitely prefer the 240.

Also the war axe is both the most aesthetically pleasing and overall best weapon in the game and if you disagree you are wrong. Unlike the maull and executioner's sword you can recover quickly from missed swings and also combo. Sure, it won't kill in one hit as consistently as them but it will still killing one hit a lot of the time anyway. Any hit you land will delete their entire health bar and cause them to freak out. The swing animation for the overhead chop is also kind of weird and because of it if you turn into the swing you can very frequently get past a parry or block on their left side and nail them in the side of the torso or the leg. also, very few people seem to actually like the weapon so most people are not used to fighting against it.

This is also possibly confirmation bias but I swear that it severs limbs way more often than any other weapon.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I love the eveningstar and nothing anyone says can change my mind.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what does choking up your grip (alt fire on the zweihander/war axe/eveningstar) actually get you? i assume the tradeoff is less range for some benefit, but it doesn't seem to be attack speed (or if it is, it's not super noticeable).

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

I love the eveningstar and nothing anyone says can change my mind.

Also known as the Spikey Waraxe. This is also an acceptable favorite weapon.

I will post a spreadsheet that I found later tonight, sorting by the weapons in there for various stats really helped me appreciate more what the advantages and disadvantages of every weapon is. Certain weapons are just better at certain things but I don't feel like the game itself does a very good job of sharing in a digestible format what those advantages and disadvantages are.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's 25 to 50ms swing speed. So it does go a little faster.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Comrayn posted:

I haven’t gotten a feel for fire pot damage because sometimes I will step in one and take like five damage and later I will try to run through one and die immediately. Not sure how it works but it doesn’t seem like it’s a flat damage per second.

fire pots do completely insane damage on tick when they get going but have a short start-up time after they burst where they do little/no damage and don't set you on fire (because they were disgustingly OP without it)

so if someone throws them at you move away from the area immediately and don't stand/run in the fire (I think you can sometimes move fast enough to avoid the tick but its not a risk you should take)

scarygary
Apr 8, 2011

LGD posted:

fire pots do completely insane damage on tick when they get going but have a short start-up time after they burst where they do little/no damage and don't set you on fire (because they were disgustingly OP without it)

so if someone throws them at you move away from the area immediately and don't stand/run in the fire (I think you can sometimes move fast enough to avoid the tick but its not a risk you should take)

Fire pots seem to be so prevalent right now its insane. on most of the front line based builds that I am making for my characters, I try to take the fire Resist trait because it just seems like an 100% certainty that you will be hit by fire at some point

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's 25 to 50ms swing speed. So it does go a little faster.

my math brain isn't good, you're telling me the attack rate increase is five one-hundredths of a second?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yes it swings slightly faster, less reach and damage but the damage is neglible and will still after two hits for the most part.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Been having a lot of fun and doing really well with my caveman build (naked long spear with dodge, acrobat, and tenacious) so I want to suggest it for other beginners. I find I'm often topping scoreboards in frontline and getting positive KDR in skirmish despite not having played any game like this before.

Even though it's the antithesis of everything that has previously been recommended in this thread, it may click better for people who feel overwhelmed by all the melee mechanics. It's more focused on things like learning hitboxes/baiting attacks/punishing relentless offense and less focused on crazy morph/feint combos. When played correctly its like you're Dhalsim from Street Fighter 2, constantly forcing the enemy to come to you while you patiently poke away at them with stabs.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I must call bullshit on that being a newbie build. First contact with any weapon will turn you into a pink mist

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I think it depends on how well you acclimate to the play style. It can require a lot of patience and situational awareness to avoid getting snuck up on or run down, and when that happens you have few options to cope.

A more newbie friendly version would just be to drop most/all of the perks for better armor. Dodge is a really great tool for that play style especially, but those 4 points hurt a lot when the 2h spear is already costing you 10.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

You can usually survive one hit but its true you are extremely weak if people can get close. The goal is to not get hit which is why you're using the longest range melee weapon and dodge while trying to be max spear range at all times.

All I can say is that I'm a newbie and I feel like I'm doing much better than I did with the other standard builds. I started playing footman and tried to reduce it down to the very basics of what I liked in that playstyle.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BattleHamster posted:

You can usually survive one hit but its true you are extremely weak if people can get close. The goal is to not get hit which is why you're using the longest range melee weapon and dodge while trying to be max spear range at all times.

All I can say is that I'm a newbie and I feel like I'm doing much better than I did with the other standard builds. I started playing footman and tried to reduce it down to the very basics of what I liked in that playstyle.

glad you're having fun buddy!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why's he called a footman when he's not made of feet

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Cowcaster posted:

why's he called a footman when he's not made of feet

he's named after what he likes, not what he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I've been rocking 1armor hat naked everything else with Dodge 2x rapiers and a buckler. With this I get to throw at least one rapier per fight then pick it up afterwards. This game rules.