Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Today I learned that it must be a pain in the rear end to take those car magazine photos with all the cars together in one place.

All you need is a ladder and a wide angle lens :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KillHour posted:

My first supercar problem happened!

I'm driving the Aston and I notice the steering wheel is sitting about 15 degrees off center when I'm going straight. There's no play, and the car doesn't pull when I take my hands off the wheel. It straightens out under hard acceleration, and goes back to crooked when I let off. I'm like "Oh great, something went horribly wrong. Guess I should get home." Two blocks from home, I get a lovely warning light with the message "DSC Service Required. Traction control temporary [sic] off."

Fuckin great.

Maybe your steering rack has gone to poop.

Pretty sure the land cruiser steering rack is knackered and needs replacement soon. :sigh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

KIller pic!

:ocelot:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I wish to propose marriage to both the stylish slit hubcaps of the van on camera far left, as well as the entire turbo Toyota (4x4? :swoon:) with BFGs on camera far right.

edit: what's up with my favorite 80s vintage CA sunset plates being on the leftmost van? Aren't these all imports?

They are all JDM imports yeah, our entire warehouse stock at the moment. It's in a commercial park and on the weekends it is empty which means we can do stuff like this.
The left most van is a 1990 Subaru Domingo and is all original, including those sick hubcaps straight off late 80s/early 90s Hotwheels. Subaru uses this specific Domingo to represent the introduction of it in 83 on their ~Heritage~ site. Looks like this style Domingo was used in a bunch of promotional material too. That California plate was a gift from a friend years ago, and the reason we have it on the Domingo is because there is a giant flat plastic face where a front plate goes as Japan requires front plates. Florida does not so that space sits empty, why not use the space?

The turbo Toyota on the right is a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, a ~light-duty~ 70 series Cruiser. 4x4, 2.4 turbo diesel, 5 speed manual. "Light" but it still is a body on frame solid axle front and back truck but I guess it's coil sprung, only has a normal 12v system and has 4 wheel disc brakes compared to the 24v leaf sprung drum brake typical 70 series. It's kind of like a Land Cruiser's take on a 4Runner. This one is our personal vehicle, we've been after a 5 speed 4 door one for a while, this one only has 90,000 km on it. All original with the exception of the wheels. everdave has one just like it though his has the original wheels (:argh:) and is a two tone brown instead of two tone blue like ours.

In a month or so though we'll have this:

:shepface:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

All you need is a ladder and a wide angle lens :)

Or just climb on the sign that tells you where everyone is in the complex and use your cell phone to snap the pic!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Maybe your steering rack has gone to poop.

More likely the steering rack bushings, something had to hold the rack in place and no manufacturer ever solid mounts them to the subframe.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To add more context, the car is a '16 DB9 and has ~4k miles on it. I can't imagine any bushings would be going bad yet. Happened pretty suddenly. Not sudden enough for there to have been a noticeable noise or movement in the car, but sudden enough that I know it wasn't like that this morning.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
That seems really strange, especially for such a new low mileage car. We would often replace upper control arms cuz the bushes like to walk out of the arms and squeak when going over bumps but I've never seen a bush fail.

Rear lower control arms like to crack occasionally where the hub carrier bolts to it and that seems much more likely to cause what you're describing though it's often associated with a loud clunk when transitioning between braking and accelerating.

Might seem dumb but check your tyres are properly inflated and more importantly that they are the same side to side. You have to compare the DOT codes cuz the tyres are specific to the car and we'd often find say a punctured tyre had been replaced with a generic Pirelli (same size and model of tyre obviously) and not one with the Aston-specific compound. This can play havoc with the handling of the car especially on hard acceleration if mismatched tyres are fitted to the rear.

Edit: also there may be two different tyres available for your car from Aston. We had this problem with the DBS where the original tyres were discontinued or something and the new tyres were slightly different resulting in a lot of cars getting mismatched sets when people were not paying attention when fitting tyres. Either tyre is fine but they need to be the same across the axle

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 6, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Heaven help me but I'm considering getting a home improvement loan to build an outdoor office/cabin for my wife to use as a craft space. It'll get all her stuff in one place and make the house a million times tidier.

Also stripped the back end of the Panda down to nothing trying to find this squeak, good news is nothings worn or damaged, bad news is I've still no idea what's causing it. My bendy-type torque wrench also tops out at 210Nm, rear hub nuts need 230 so they got "limit of the wrench plus a bit extra"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

McTinkerson posted:

More likely the steering rack bushings, something had to hold the rack in place and no manufacturer ever solid mounts them to the subframe.

This. My 05’s let go around 250k kms and it was sloppy as hell. I replaced em with superpro polyurethane bushings and it made a HUUUGE difference.

If you do end up fitting a new rack, get a small auto trans cooler and mount it up front of the radiator and plumb it into the rack return line. If you can keep the fluid cool it’s gonna extend the life of the rack and pump by a huge amount. I’m at 360k kms on my factory pump and factory rack

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I’d tend to listen to fridge corn since he’s got the most experience. Funny how seemingly complex problems turn out to be a simple solution more often then not like a tire issue.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamnit. The passenger side tires are both Aston Martin OEM. But on the driver's side, one is a Porsche and one doesn't have an OEM code. The DOT codes are all over the place. Two look original to the car (guess which ones) and the other two were replaced at different times in 2017.

When I bought the car, the driver's side was overinflated (50psi instead of 40), and I corrected that after a few days when I noticed.

How bad did this gently caress up my suspension?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I doubt it would damage anything but I would go straight to the dealer and make them get you the correct tires.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's super weird that everything felt normal until yesterday and now it's all kinds of hosed. I'm worried hard acceleration put too much stress on something. But yeah, I already called the dealership. This is on them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

The steering rack on a DB9 is in fact bolted directly to the subframe without any bushes

KillHour posted:

It's super weird that everything felt normal until yesterday and now it's all kinds of hosed. I'm worried hard acceleration put too much stress on something. But yeah, I already called the dealership. This is on them.

Was this an actual Aston Martin dealer that you bought the car from? Cuz if so that's a pretty bad thing to miss and something that should definitely be caught on a used car check. There was this big bulletin the factory sent out to all the dealers about what tyres are allowed on what vehicles after the DB11 came out and DB11 tyres started popping up on Rapides and vice versa lol

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

KillHour posted:

To add more context, the car is a '16 DB9 and has ~4k miles on it. I can't imagine any bushings would be going bad yet. Happened pretty suddenly. Not sudden enough for there to have been a noticeable noise or movement in the car, but sudden enough that I know it wasn't like that this morning.

According to stories from my friend who recently started working at an Aston Martin dealer, that's a high mileage vehicle you got yourself there. :v: but also :ohdear:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

fridge corn posted:

The steering rack on a DB9 is in fact bolted directly to the subframe without any bushes

No way, that's awesome. Is this standard across all Aston Martin vehicles? Given your experience with all the upper scale manufacturers, is that the norm?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Was this an actual Aston Martin dealer that you bought the car from? Cuz if so that's a pretty bad thing to miss and something that should definitely be caught on a used car check. There was this big bulletin the factory sent out to all the dealers about what tyres are allowed on what vehicles after the DB11 came out and DB11 tyres started popping up on Rapides and vice versa lol

It was a Mercedes dealership. My nearest Aston dealership is in Toronto, and I'm in Buffalo. I had originally insisted that they send it there for an inspection before purchase, but they talked me out of it because i'm a moron.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

McTinkerson posted:

No way, that's awesome. Is this standard across all Aston Martin vehicles? Given your experience with all the upper scale manufacturers, is that the norm?

My E30 has its rack directly bolted to the subframe :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

It was a Mercedes dealership. My nearest Aston dealership is in Toronto, and I'm in Buffalo. I had originally insisted that they send it there for an inspection before purchase, but they talked me out of it because i'm a moron.

Lol. Quite possibly because they knew drat we’ll they’d be shelling out for a new set of tires. Probably hoping you wouldn’t notice :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lol. Quite possibly because they knew drat we’ll they’d be shelling out for a new set of tires. Probably hoping you wouldn’t notice :v:

I honestly just think they didn't notice. They'll be paying for it now though! Along with whatever broke because of it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Yeah pretty much. Aston still uses a lot of rubber in its suspension components but on Ferraris is almost all rose joints and roller bearings

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

But did you see the follow-up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eks6hlqFt0

They put a *second* transmission in. Backwards.

Also, I fixed your link.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
A huge, painful ganglion cyst on my right middle finger has killed my ability to play video games or guitar for more than an hour every day or two, and now I don't know what to do with my leisure time anymore
I suppose this could be the sign I need to actually get back to the iron and lift, because deadlifts used to keep it in check, but I still need something to do on rest days. I feel dumb asking this, but does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, engaging hobbies that don't require a ton of manual dexterity?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Read a book

piss boner
May 17, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

A huge, painful ganglion cyst on my right middle finger has killed my ability to play video games or guitar for more than an hour every day or two, and now I don't know what to do with my leisure time anymore
I suppose this could be the sign I need to actually get back to the iron and lift, because deadlifts used to keep it in check, but I still need something to do on rest days. I feel dumb asking this, but does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, engaging hobbies that don't require a ton of manual dexterity?

Geocaching. You're outdoors and can do it alone or with friends and family.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

Read a book

Books and ganglion cysts have a long history together that Google might elucidate.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

edit: what's up with my favorite 80s vintage CA sunset plates being on the leftmost van? Aren't these all imports?

Even weirder, its a 84-87 truck plate, which as I recall Sunset style was a custom order option since trucks got the stamped California logo plates by default, even more so without a custom number is weeeeird.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Books and ganglion cysts have a long history together that Google might elucidate.

With a kindle you can turn the pages with your nose

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

With a kindle you can turn the pages with your nose

I'm not sure a Kindle is as therapeutically beneficial in this particular case.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I developed a ganglion on my middle knuckle back when I was boxing, it was pretty sore and I ended up speaking to a surgeon who said he didn't recommend surgery and that punching with it probably couldn't make it worse. It ended up hardening up and it's like it's not there anymore. I also got a small one in the palm of my right hand, which is weird but not painful.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

when my mom had a ganglion in the mid '90s, it was the Bible method.

I guess family Bibles had good heft to them. (mom had surgery)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
When it first showed up years ago, the doctor said surgery or aspiration were my only options, but aspiration would most likely be a temporary solution. I'd assume that old time religion would also be temporary

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Need some advice on how to handle a problem with a dealership service center. Took my car in to the local Toyota dealer to get the transmission serviced. When I got it back it had a coolant leak, literally when I got home I smelled coolant and found coolant splashed underneath the radiator. At first I figured they just spilled a bit topping off the reservoir but a week later after a long drive smelled it again and the reservoir was way low, and more coolant under the radiator.

Called them and took it in, and they said there’s a crack in the radiator, conveniently right by the trans lines where they hooked it up to the machine. They quoted me over $1k to fix it since somehow the ac is tied into it and they have to evac the system then refill it. 5 hour job total.

I don’t think this should be my problem because it wasn’t an issue until they touched it. What’s the proper way I should handle this?

For reference the car is a 2012 Scion xB

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

9 1/2 hours of jury duty. Only to be finally told that out of a pool of 60* jurors (2 apparently got lost between the big jury room and the courtroom, the judge wasn't happy), neither side could agree upon a set of 12+1. Finally let us go at about 6:30pm.

Person next to me was wondering why this dude allegedly committed a crime 2 1/2 years ago and just now got to trial. I think I see why. It almost seemed like both sides were pushing to have the whole pool thrown out with their line of questions.

Kind of a relief to me - the judge told us the trial would probably last a week (class A felony in district court), which would have really hosed my finances. Also would have hosed me out of a car for a bit - mine goes in the shop tonight (about to go drop it off), and there would have been no way for me to pick it back up until Saturday, since the court is 45-60 minutes from the dealer (depending on traffic).

Need some advice on how to handle a problem with a dealership service center. Took my car in to the local Toyota dealer to get the transmission serviced. When I got it back it had a coolant leak, literally when I got home I smelled coolant and found coolant splashed underneath the radiator. At first I figured they just spilled a bit topping off the reservoir but a week later after a long drive smelled it again and the reservoir was way low, and more coolant under the radiator.

Called them and took it in, and they said there’s a crack in the radiator, conveniently right by the trans lines where they hooked it up to the machine. They quoted me over $1k to fix it since somehow the ac is tied into it and they have to evac the system then refill it. 5 hour job total.

I don’t think this should be my problem because it wasn’t an issue until they touched it. What’s the proper way I should handle this?

For reference the car is a 2012 Scion xB

Talk to the dealer manager. And usually there's a way to get the radiator out without dropping the condenser. It's not unheard of for a 7 year old radiator to crack, but that's awfully young.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

On the sixth of May I was finally able to see Avengers Endgame and I saw it without being spoiled.

It was a generational cinematic event and I was happy I lived to see it. Sincerely.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Flying out to DFW for work Wed. I think there's a dinner/theater place near where I'm staying in Addison, might try and sneak in a viewing after I land.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Talk to the dealer manager. And usually there's a way to get the radiator out without dropping the condenser. It's not unheard of for a 7 year old radiator to crack, but that's awfully young.

I figured he meant the condenser, but he was trying to tell me there were lines going into the radiator itself and I’m looking at it wondering wtf he was talking about. It’s probably just easier to do it that way and just bill the customer but gently caress that I’m not gonna pay for it anyway.

Did you mean the service manager or the manager of the entire dealership? Should I threaten Twitter rants if they don’t want to play ball?

I need to research how to do the job without loving with the ac just in case, no way I’m paying anywhere near that to replace a loving radiator

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Flying out to DFW for work Wed. I think there's a dinner/theater place near where I'm staying in Addison, might try and sneak in a viewing after I land.

There's a few - the closest to Addison proper (which is only 4.4 square miles) would be LOOK, which is on Beltline (the main road through Addison), but on the Dallas side (go east of the tollway, go past a couple of lights, and you'll find it on the north side). Studio Movie Grill started in Dallas, and they have a location in Richardson (not too far from Addison), but that area is pretty ghetto. Alamo Drafthouse is also in (a better part of) Richardson.

I figured he meant the condenser, but he was trying to tell me there were lines going into the radiator itself and I’m looking at it wondering wtf he was talking about. It’s probably just easier to do it that way and just bill the customer but gently caress that I’m not gonna pay for it anyway.

Did you mean the service manager or the manager of the entire dealership? Should I threaten Twitter rants if they don’t want to play ball?

I need to research how to do the job without loving with the ac just in case, no way I’m paying anywhere near that to replace a loving radiator

I mean... there's a chance the radiator was ready to let go, but on a 2012, that sounds more like a tech just wrenched too hard on the line and didn't own up to it, unless it's spent most of its time in the Sahara.

Talk to the service manager - Nicely. The radiator looks like a little bit of a pain in the rear end to replace, but not quite pain in the dick levels (at least it comes out from the top, but the hood latch and some brackets have to come out). If they won't play ball, just DIY. The condenser is separate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just found out today the belts on our 1994 Rugger are indeed the original belts, from 1994. Will be parking that till I can get the belts from GLORIOUS NIPPON. Might only have 14k miles on it but age kills all rubber.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I know since nursing school and the whole automatic-> manual swap started I haven't really posted much, but thought I should keep my buddies updated. This year marks 15 on SA anyway, and 90% of my posts across three accounts are in the AI chat threads.

I got my throat cut open, a piece ripped out, and a laser blasted at it, all at once last Wednesday.

Took me until, like, Sunday to recover from the anesthesia. A decade and a half since my last surgery and time hasn't been kind. Tried to watch Endgame on Saturday and could. not. focus. Basically a waste of a ticket.

Really glad they force the "you must have an escort the night of" policy, because even with her I nearly had a breakdown in ATL. I mean, it may be the busiest passenger terminal in the US, but still. That breakdown was after sleeping for four hours on the floor of ROC, too (hotel checkout and flight had a large gap, and we couldn't go anywhere with our luggage).

Honestly I'd swear the "out-of-it-ness" was way worse on Saturday than it was even the day of surgery, immediately afterwards. Pretty certain I could have watched Endgame without issue Wednesday afternoon or Thursday, but by the weekend the whole world was spinning a bit and jumping around, if that makes sense.

Had only a single bout of post-surgery nausea, too, about eight hours afterwards. But, when it hit, it hit suddenly and severely. I went from peacefully watching Hilda on Netflix, to FURIOUSLY digging through my med bag for the emergency zofran they gave me. Was completely gone and didn't come back within minutes of the zofran under the tongue.

Images here, here, and here, though they're gross throat pics so I'm not inlining them. :nws: I guess?

Not allowed to talk, cough, or even mouth words for the next month, and all signs say I may not even be able to talk for eight anyway.

Yet I couldn't feel better.

In, uh, car news, I may have to sell the crown vic to make rent (yeah yeah, "you just spent ten grand on surgery!" I paid for that a long time ago). It sucks, because it's been the most reliable, utilitarian car I've ever owned, and I know 3/4 of the regular wear items are new, because I'm the one that replaced all of them before school started. Sucks, I know, but this is the land of $900 no-AC, $1300 yes-AC beaters, and nursing school comes first.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:hfive: Congrats QC. Also, gross. Best of luck with your recovery, talking is overrated anyway.