Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're not building the USG XG any more, presumably any features that are missing from it now vs. the published marketing material are going to stay missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

KKKLIP ART posted:

I wouldnt say it is mesh or bust, but especially with 5GHz stuff, house size and layout can be signal killers and the Ubiquiti stuff seems to punch well above its weight in signal propagation along with mesh features If you are happy with your current router, you could even keep your existing router, get a Unifi AP and just turn off the routers built in Wifi and save a few bucks that way and see if one AP is enough to solve your problems. Maybe start with that, if you can get the AP in a more central location by running some cat5e or cat6 and if super possible, making it ceiling mounted, you could probably solve your signal problems with just the AP.

I'm having issues with weak signal in my second floor office, the router- which can't be moved that much- is on the 1st floor. From what I've been reading in the OP and recent posts like the one quoted above, it sounds like getting a Unifi AP would be a good next step, and if that doesn't work, adding a second access point upstairs.

I don't know anything about networking or how these devices work, so pardon my ignorance and feel free to assume that I'm an idiot. From what I understand they draw power over the ethernet connection, so do I just connect it into one of the ports on my router? If I need a second one, can I connect it to the first, or does it also have to plug into my router?

My router is the Asus RT-AC66U- would this be compatible with the Unifi AC Pro?

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Listerine posted:

I'm having issues with weak signal in my second floor office, the router- which can't be moved that much- is on the 1st floor. From what I've been reading in the OP and recent posts like the one quoted above, it sounds like getting a Unifi AP would be a good next step, and if that doesn't work, adding a second access point upstairs.

I don't know anything about networking or how these devices work, so pardon my ignorance and feel free to assume that I'm an idiot. From what I understand they draw power over the ethernet connection, so do I just connect it into one of the ports on my router? If I need a second one, can I connect it to the first, or does it also have to plug into my router?

My router is the Asus RT-AC66U- would this be compatible with the Unifi AC Pro?

Yes those APs use power over Ethernet (POE). Your router doesn't do POE, but the AP comes with what is called an injector whick takes power from an outlet and adds it to your Ethernet cable so the AP gets its power that way.

Each AP would generally need to be connected to a port on your router, but I think the Pro can daisy chain. Any Unifi AP will work with any router but be aware you'll have to load the controller software on a PC or phone to set up the AP initially.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone know if any/all 4 of the LAN jacks on the UDM PoE?

The product page on the Ubiquiti site is account-havers only and :effort:.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The new intel AX200 cards are popping up on ebay and alibaba for about $30. As far as I know they do not require Intel CNVi and the AX201 do, but I could be wrong.

They are 2x2.. This might be a stupid question but if I bought a M.2. to PCIe adapter (like this guy) and pfsense or something, could I build an AX200 router? And would it be possible to somehow bond TWO of the cards together to get effective 4x4? Or would I basically have 'tri-band 2x2' AX?

Considering how much AX routers are right now, it sounds appealing and like a fun little project.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I noticed Ubiquiti has the Amplifi Router/AP. I'm currently running an ER-X and a nanoHD. How do these setups compare? If I were setting up a new network in my home, would I be better with one over the other?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

Don't think so.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Schadenboner posted:

The product page on the Ubiquiti site is account-havers only and :effort:.

All UDM ports are ethernet only, poe requires injectors or a dedicated switch.

Alpha Mayo posted:

The new intel AX200 cards are popping up on ebay and alibaba for about $30. As far as I know they do not require Intel CNVi and the AX201 do, but I could be wrong.

They are 2x2.. This might be a stupid question but if I bought a M.2. to PCIe adapter (like this guy) and pfsense or something, could I build an AX200 router? And would it be possible to somehow bond TWO of the cards together to get effective 4x4? Or would I basically have 'tri-band 2x2' AX?

Considering how much AX routers are right now, it sounds appealing and like a fun little project.

You cannot merge two 2x2 cards into a contiguous 4x4, on the other hand you can do a VHT160 network and go at 4x4 speeds if you have compatible endpoints.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 6, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is it normal to have router performance deteriorate over time? I've had my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 for like, four years or something. My home WiFi is absolute garbage now when it used to be great. I ordered a TP-Link AC2300 to replace it, it looked like a decent router for a decent price. I would have loved to get a tri-band mesh network set, but that'd be overkill for my house honestly, and also 3x the cost.

Most of my delays seem to be with name resolution, and it's poo poo with the default Xfinity nameservers, Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1, and Google's 8.8.8.8. So that leaves the common denominator to be either my router or my modem, and while Xfinity is mad I haven't upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 yet I don't think I need to replace my SB6121 yet. Unless of course I was wrong about my router making GBS threads out and it was the modem, but who doesn't like playing with new networking toys anyway?

Anyway, kind of just ranting about my poo poo wifi performance and excited about the new router. It's being delivered today and the network is being exceptionally poo poo today. I like to think my Nighthawk knows its days are numbered and it's going down kicking and screaming.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No, none of that is normal.

You're running an ancient cable modem and don't want to replace it, but you'll drop over a 100 bucks on an AC2300 router? The 6121 is a 9 year old modem that only has 4 downstream channels. At least upgrade to a 6183 which has 16 downstream channels.

Wifi has a lot of variables when it comes to performance. Throwing different equipment at the problem isn't usually the solution.

Also, get the 3.1 modem. It doesn't matter if you don't need the additional speed, it's more about the available overall bandwidth.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 6, 2019

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Marvell ate Aquantia. Who's morbidly curious about the fate of their hardware?! Will Marvell's next-gen SoCs and networking products not be poo poo now that they have decent IP to leverage?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

skipdogg posted:

No, none of that is normal.

You're running an ancient cable modem and don't want to replace it, but you'll drop over a 100 bucks on an AC2300 router? The 6121 is a 9 year old modem that only has 4 downstream channels. At least upgrade to a 6183 which has 16 downstream channels.

Wifi has a lot of variables when it comes to performance. Throwing different equipment at the problem isn't usually the solution.

Also, get the 3.1 modem. It doesn't matter if you don't need the additional speed, it's more about the available overall bandwidth.

I mean, the plan was definitely to upgrade the modem if it's still poo poo afterwards. I just got a big PTO payout from my previous employer and work from home, so a reliable network is a must and I'm willing to shell out for whatever upgrades I need. I didn't realize the SB6121 was that old and antiquated!

So, while I am now slightly embarrassed from my lack of knowledge in my post, I know now that my approach was flawed. The new router will still be nice, and if nothing else I can just use the old router in tandem for better Wi-Fi coverage.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 6, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Modem's don't really "degrade" in a physical sense, but the performance you can get out of it will decrease thanks to changes on your carrier's end. My understanding is that it's easier for carriers to provide sufficient bandwidth to you by spreading it over more channels, than it is to try and hit that same target with fewer channels. So while you may have been able to hit your rated speed on a 4-channel modem back when those were new, by now it would be difficult to do so.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm unsure if I want to make the DOCSIS 3.1 jump right now though, considering I can get the CM1000 for basically $200 with tax whereas I can get a DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 CM700 for almost exactly half the price.

At the same time, it's a newer standard, and I won't have to worry about buying one for a good, long while, right? Even if I only pay for like 150Mbps and it's totally overkill.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

movax posted:

Marvell ate Aquantia. Who's morbidly curious about the fate of their hardware?! Will Marvell's next-gen SoCs and networking products not be poo poo now that they have decent IP to leverage?

Well cavium SoC are not that hot honestly but aquantia was kinda getting there. I dunno about it now.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

Is it normal to have router performance deteriorate over time? I've had my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 for like, four years or something. My home WiFi is absolute garbage now when it used to be great. I ordered a TP-Link AC2300 to replace it, it looked like a decent router for a decent price. I would have loved to get a tri-band mesh network set, but that'd be overkill for my house honestly, and also 3x the cost.

Most of my delays seem to be with name resolution, and it's poo poo with the default Xfinity nameservers, Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1, and Google's 8.8.8.8. So that leaves the common denominator to be either my router or my modem, and while Xfinity is mad I haven't upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 yet I don't think I need to replace my SB6121 yet. Unless of course I was wrong about my router making GBS threads out and it was the modem, but who doesn't like playing with new networking toys anyway?

Anyway, kind of just ranting about my poo poo wifi performance and excited about the new router. It's being delivered today and the network is being exceptionally poo poo today. I like to think my Nighthawk knows its days are numbered and it's going down kicking and screaming.

I have a R7000 as well, running DD-WRT firmware, and my wifi has been really slow/janky lately as well. Maybe netgear released a new model lately and sent out a kill command to the R7000's in the wild. :tinfoil:

edit: I was just looking at netgear's website and it seems they are selling tie fighters now.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX120.aspx

nerox fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 6, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm unsure if I want to make the DOCSIS 3.1 jump right now though, considering I can get the CM1000 for basically $200 with tax whereas I can get a DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 CM700 for almost exactly half the price.

At the same time, it's a newer standard, and I won't have to worry about buying one for a good, long while, right? Even if I only pay for like 150Mbps and it's totally overkill.

check this out:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/
and then check your ISP to find one of the recommended ones that is also on their approved list.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't buy anything that has an Intel Puma chip. They cause terrible jitter.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lambert posted:

Don't buy anything that has an Intel Puma chip. They cause terrible jitter.

I haven’t had a cable modem in ages (:woop:) but out of curiosity what gen Surfboards (or not) / other modems are they in? Darkly amusing to me that they’re bad enough that the community realizes it and actively recommends against a specific chipset.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

movax posted:

I haven’t had a cable modem in ages (:woop:) but out of curiosity what gen Surfboards (or not) / other modems are they in? Darkly amusing to me that they’re bad enough that the community realizes it and actively recommends against a specific chipset.

Here's a list: https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

There's also this, a class action lawsuit: http://www.arriscablemodemlitigation.com/

quote:

Plaintiffs allege in the Action that in contrast to ARRIS’s representations about the modem’s speed and reliability, the ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 cable modem (the “SB6190 Modem”) contains a defective Intel Puma 6 chip that causes severe network latency. ARRIS denies that the SB6190 Modem contains a defective chip and further denies that ARRIS made any false representations about the SB6190 Modem. The Court has not decided who is right.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

movax posted:

Friends don't let friends buy the SB6190.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

astral posted:

Kinda great they're advertising it as "PERFECT FOR 4K ULTRA-HD VIDEO STREAMING AND VIRTUAL REALITY GAMING." on their website. Can't think of a worse modem for gaming.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought a CM1000. Link indicators on the modem are working fine. Comcast can’t pick it up for whatever reason and they have to send a goddamn technician out.

I’m not an expert here but that sure looks connected to me. This loving company.

ETA I just plugged it into one of the other three coax hookups in my house. Now it works. gently caress off Comcast.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 6, 2019

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
There are cheap (pre-owned) SB8200's on ebay for like $100-110. Doesn't use Puma 6 and gives you DOCSIS 3.1. That's what I would go for if you are looking toward Gigabit someday and want something cheaper.

And with 150mbps yes it is total overkill.. 8x4 will do around 260mbps and they are like $20. There is some theoretical advantage to having additional channels stability-wise but I've never noticed a difference in the real world. And some ISP's ban older modems unnecessarily, probably because people use their 4x4 with gigabit then waste customer support time calling in to complain they don't get the speed they paid for. Not all ISPs do though.

The main risk with pre-owned modems is if they are still assigned to a customer and you happen to use the same ISP. The ISP won't unassign the modem without that customer's permission.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

ETA I just plugged it into one of the other three coax hookups in my house. Now it works. gently caress off Comcast.

Splitters will drop the signal level, and with too big a drop, the modem won't sync. Some splitters also have different drops for different taps. You always want a minimum number of splitters between your cable co feed and your modem.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Splitters will drop the signal level, and with too big a drop, the modem won't sync. Some splitters also have different drops for different taps. You always want a minimum number of splitters between your cable co feed and your modem.

Yeah, there was a splitter on the first line. But I plugged it back into that line and it still connected, and now my internet is noticeably more stable. Thank god, I didn't want to drop $300 between the router and modem and still have to wait 20 minutes to load all of the photos on a site.

Like, yesterday, when scrolling through Facebook, I'd have to wait for photos to load, but now the photos are there as soon as I scroll to the post. It's much better!

I might move it downstairs where I had successfully activated it, though, as it's got a dedicated coaxial line there, and I can use the old router in the same spot as a repeater...

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 6, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Alpha Mayo posted:

There is some theoretical advantage to having additional channels stability-wise but I've never noticed a difference in the real world.

It's not a theoretical advantage but a very real one if your local node is crowded. Was pretty noticeable for me, like a 50 Mbit difference at peak times. The old modem supported 8 concurrent channels, the new one 20 (provider supports it as well, as verified using the modem's web interface). Both DOCSIS 3.0

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Can anyone recommend a very simple bit of windows software to monitor the stability of my home broadband?
Essentially, all it needs to do is send a ping every 30s and create a simple graph/log to show me if/when I lose internet access.

I want to be able to yell at my broadband provider and say things like ' the connection went down for 4 mins at 10.01am today'

(All the stuff I have found on google tend to be massively over-specced, expensive or require Java)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shut up Meg posted:

Can anyone recommend a very simple bit of windows software to monitor the stability of my home broadband?
Essentially, all it needs to do is send a ping every 30s and create a simple graph/log to show me if/when I lose internet access.

I want to be able to yell at my broadband provider and say things like ' the connection went down for 4 mins at 10.01am today'

(All the stuff I have found on google tend to be massively over-specced, expensive or require Java)

If you are running on windows there is PingInfoView -> https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multiple_ping_tool.html

Set it up with logging to a csv/html/xml and use excel or libreoffice to do fancy graphs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
But also your ISP won’t care unless you have a Service Level Agreement with them that is being violated (if you are a residential customer, you don’t).

nerox
May 20, 2001

Shut up Meg posted:

https://netuptimemonitor.com/ Costs $10, but does exactly what you want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you respond to pings from the Internet then try https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Dogen posted:

But also your ISP won’t care unless you have a Service Level Agreement with them that is being violated (if you are a residential customer, you don’t).

Long story short:

Home internet drops out on average for 4 mins at a time, 1-2 times a day, maybe once/twice a week. The ADSL line remains up, the internet connection itself drops out.
ISP is - surprisingly - very helpful when I call in - runs reports, confirms the downtime.
They've reset various things, I've had a telecoms engineer to check the current line quality and also show his little report that it has been good quality for months.
I am now on a new router: the problem happened again today. They are now tweaking the fault resilience at the expense of a small speed drop and are currently monitoring that.

Because it happens so infrequently, I want to run my own monitoring to see if it happens again and call it in (rather than just waiting for it to happen at a time that I happen to notice it)

SlowBloke posted:

If you are running on windows there is PingInfoView -> https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multiple_ping_tool.html
Set it up with logging to a csv/html/xml and use excel or libreoffice to do fancy graphs.
Aha! Excellent suggestion: I new recall using this a few years ago and it did the trick then.

nerox posted:

https://netuptimemonitor.com/ Costs $10, but does exactly what you want.
Ta for this.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you respond to pings from the Internet then try https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
I;'ve also used this one, now that you remind me.
Thanks. I remember it does very pretty colours.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
If you are a nerd like me and use Merlin on an Asus WRT router (like AC68U) you can use connmon

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/connmon-internet-connection-monitoring.56163/

Puts a tab right in the web GUI with pretty graphs and all :)

Only problem is it checks line quality every 5 minutes for 30 seconds so it isn't as frequent as you are looking for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

astral posted:

What about the SB8200? I got that for my parents when their ISP eventually rolls out 1000/1000 in their area. Currently they get 1000/50 no problem.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SB8200 is a fantastic modem

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
And I was just looking myself to help my parents with their setup and now I'm worried about my own. I've been having a pretty awful time with my SBG6400. I can't seem to find what modem it uses, so I'm not sure if the router or the modem in it is garbage. I'll replace it with two dedicated devices if it is bad.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

teagone posted:

What about the SB8200? I got that for my parents when their ISP eventually rolls out 1000/1000 in their area. Currently they get 1000/50 no problem.

A very solid modem.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I just upgraded to an Edgerouter Lite 3, US-8-60W POE Switch, and AC Pro.

Is there a reason why I would want to run UNMS for this router over the stock EdgeOS interface? I already have a pi 3 running pihole/unifi so I'm curious if I should bother setting up docker to play around with UNMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Alpha Mayo posted:

If you are a nerd like me and use Merlin on an Asus WRT router (like AC68U) you can use connmon

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/connmon-internet-connection-monitoring.56163/

Puts a tab right in the web GUI with pretty graphs and all :)

Only problem is it checks line quality every 5 minutes for 30 seconds so it isn't as frequent as you are looking for.

Hey, another Asuswrt-Merlin user! It really is great.