Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Do nvme drives get close to saturating PCIE 3.0 16x? I guess multiple drives is where you want all the lanes you can get.

I got a 1050 ti on 3.0 4x connection that doesn’t take any performance hit at all. I’m sure high end stuff would feel the squeeze though. Either way, PCI-E 4.0 is mostly important for storage, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Laslow posted:

Do nvme drives get close to saturating PCIE 3.0 16x? I guess multiple drives is where you want all the lanes you can get.

I got a 1050 ti on 3.0 4x connection that doesn’t take any performance hit at all. I’m sure high end stuff would feel the squeeze though. Either way, PCI-E 4.0 is mostly important for storage, right?

Storage and 100GbE+ network mostly. Also GPUs running intensive machine learning tasks benefit a lot with peer to peer transfers.

There are JBOFs (just a bunch of flash) nvme arrays that have pcie switches to fan out to a lot of nvme drives (20+) and they’re very capable of saturating a x16 gen3 link, soon to be gen4 when scaled up.

A benefit that the wider bus has is a lower latency time as well, since more of the header and data can be transmitted per cycle.

Usually it’s not a huge deal for video cards though, so not too surprising it runs fine at x4. Really the only way to notice any improvement is to benchmark the various widths side by side and even then it’s not a huge difference.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Laslow posted:

Nope. Not even close except in highly-specific and specialized circumstances like priz described. And consumer boards with 2-3 M.2 sockets simply divvy up the bandwidth between them if there's no PLX chip.

And to my knowledge the first-gen PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are getting ~300-500MB/sec more in initial testing than their 3.0 versions. Keep in mind it took until the 2080Ti to finally have a GPU that was capable of stressing or maxing out a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. There are hobbyists taking advantage of those cheap Inland Phison E12 drives on HardForum with RAID 0-ing 2-3+ of them together and it's still only hitting ~5000MB/sec. A PCIe 3.0 x16 lane has a theoretical max bandwidth of 15.75 GB/s.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought a 960 Evo because I wanted to know for myself, but compared to a 840 Pro there's like no real difference in the consumer space. I can do 2 GB/s benchmarks, but in terms of real world use there's very little difference. Storage speed won't be the thing pushing PCI-E forward.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Optane and Z-NAND (when/if they become more affordable) will be more noticeable, but for most people SATA SSDs have become so commonplace that unless something is 5-10+ seconds faster, it's not going to have the same :wow: factor.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The nice thing about nvme over pcie is you can mux out to a lot of drives much like having SAS expanders. And you can mix drives of different widths and speeds as long as the upstream ports don’t bottleneck things. And you can connect host to host in all sorts of funky non transparent bridging implementations for failover or shared drive caching or multi function device sharing.

Also just for lols the spec for gen 5 pcie is rolling hot and heavy and the gen4 to gen5 transition will happen much much faster than gen 3 to gen4 did (at least in the enterprise space). Would mean that x1 gen5 nvme drives will be the same throughput speed as x4 gen3s, for much denser designs. Gen4 is going to be a blip, time wise compared to gen3.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for going over that for me. I was just wondering why people were making a big deal about PCIE 4.0 on other boards.

I will look in to a ridiculous RAID0 nvme setup when I upgrade to a Zen 2 Threadripper or whatever Intel’s got if they finally play ball on price in the workstation segment, if only for the novelty of BIG HUEG NUMBERS on CrystalDiskMark since it should be cheap enough now that SSD prices are hitting bedrock.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

priznat posted:

The nice thing about nvme over pcie is you can mux out to a lot of drives much like having SAS expanders. And you can mix drives of different widths and speeds as long as the upstream ports don’t bottleneck things. And you can connect host to host in all sorts of funky non transparent bridging implementations for failover or shared drive caching or multi function device sharing.

Also just for lols the spec for gen 5 pcie is rolling hot and heavy and the gen4 to gen5 transition will happen much much faster than gen 3 to gen4 did (at least in the enterprise space). Would mean that x1 gen5 nvme drives will be the same throughput speed as x4 gen3s, for much denser designs. Gen4 is going to be a blip, time wise compared to gen3.

Isn't a lot of that due to the fact that all the older traditional ways we made MORE BUS BIT GO FASTER! kinda stopped working nearly as well when we got to the signal speeds we're looking at for PCIe4? Also needing 10nm or 7nm litho to avoid having a 50w PCIe bridge chip to run it all?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Isn't a lot of that due to the fact that all the older traditional ways we made MORE BUS BIT GO FASTER! kinda stopped working nearly as well when we got to the signal speeds we're looking at for PCIe4? Also needing 10nm or 7nm litho to avoid having a 50w PCIe bridge chip to run it all?

The high speed analog phys for gen4 don't consume a lot of additional power over gen3 ones. This will hold for gen5 as well so really you'd be getting double the number of devices connected to whatever digital you are running (switch, CPU) without a big power penalty.

Since datacenter people are all about the power consumption, this is a big deal. Additionally there will be more uses as data rates saturate with things like 400Gb Ethernet and probably cases that haven't even been thought of yet!

It doesn't need the bleeding edge geometries either, once the analog block is in place (granted, this is the tricky bit!) 14nm is fine for the attached digital.

The jump from gen4 to gen5 isn't as big as gen3 to gen4 either, with really the only change being the datarate. Gen4 introduced some new stuff in the pcie config space along with some new functionality that was in PCIe 3.1 but most people didn't bother with that and the standards body never even actually tested for 3.1 compatibility. There was a ton of new phy level equalization stuff for gen4 as well that will be straight up carried over to 5.

Laslow posted:

Thanks for going over that for me. I was just wondering why people were making a big deal about PCIE 4.0 on other boards.

I will look in to a ridiculous RAID0 nvme setup when I upgrade to a Zen 2 Threadripper or whatever Intel’s got if they finally play ball on price in the workstation segment, if only for the novelty of BIG HUEG NUMBERS on CrystalDiskMark since it should be cheap enough now that SSD prices are hitting bedrock.

I have a setup at work going through a POWER9 Gen4 slot to a gen4 switch to 16 Gen3 x8 NVRAM drives (basically ramdrives with flash backups) using fio and it gets over 29GB/s (theoretical max line rate is 31.5GB/s, but with headers and other assorted non payload stuff it brings it down a bit) :dukedog:

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

You mean on Coffee Lake? The new stepping that Tom's was getting abnormally good results on? Link?

Yes. Source is some random german video podcast where he states that he has tested samples.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Khorne posted:

IThey've been developing 7nm and what comes after 7nm in parallel. Intel does a lot of business. They aren't just a CPU company. I don't even think other fabs have the capacity, given their other customers, to fab all of what intel makes.

Correct. The global fab output doesn’t have an Intel-sized chunk of capacity just waiting around idle.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Laslow posted:

Yeah, about that.
There's stuff in the news about manufacturers slowing production.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Kerbtree posted:

Yeah, about that.
There's stuff in the news about manufacturers slowing production.

Yeah, I think they've decided where the bottom should be in flash prices...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I think they've decided where the bottom should be in flash prices...

Sure gonna suck if I wait so long to upgrade from my i5-3550 (end of 2019 is when I'll probably build stuff) that ram and ssd prices start going back up.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So if you are worried, why not buy the ram and ssd now?

eames
May 9, 2009

speaking of buying RAM now, Samsung discontinued B-die chip production and is going to replace them with A-die and M-die chips over the next few months.

Not much is known about performance of the new modules but they're going to be available as 16 or 32Gbit chips (B-die is/was 8Gbit).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nobody:

Asrock: "hold my beer"

quote:

ASRock has been offering some really good small form factor designs on each generation of HEDT processors from Intel and AMD. They have the smallest X299 motherboard (X299-E-ITX AC) around and also the smallest X399 (X399M Taichi) motherboard. Now, ASRock Rack has released the MITX EPC621D4I-2M motherboard which is the smallest C621 chipset based motherboard.

The motherboard “EPC621D4I-2M” which is part of the ASRock Rack Mini-ITX series is a marvel of engineering. It features the LGA 3647 socket which can support Intel’s Xeon Scalable processors. These include the Skylake-SP and Cascade Lake-SP parts. The socket is rated to support up to 205 Watt SKUs so we can exclude the HEDT Xeon W-3175X from the list, however, the rest of the 205W 28 core Xeons are fully compatible with the motherboard.
https://wccftech.com/asrock-mini-itx-lga-3647-motherboard-intel-xeon-28-core-cpu-support/

not mini-STX? smh, is Asrock even trying anymore?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

God bless ASRock. It's beautiful.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Honestly the only thing it’s missing is a vacuum tube audio amp on-board

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nobody:

Asrock: "hold my beer"

https://wccftech.com/asrock-mini-itx-lga-3647-motherboard-intel-xeon-28-core-cpu-support/

not mini-STX? smh, is Asrock even trying anymore?

It's sad that stx seems to be mostly dead in the water. I have one stx comp, and it's nice for what I wanted it for - a small, energy efficient computer that was still fast. Intel NUCs aren't bad, but I like being able to swap out all the parts myself. Look at the size of that socket though, there's no way.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NewFatMike posted:

God bless ASRock. It's beautiful.

It's like 40% CPU socket by area, and the case is like 50% CPU cooler by volume. Truly doing god's work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What's the intended use-case for that delightful oddity? I feel like any form factor a home user would stick it into, the sheer size of the cooling apparatus needed would mean they'd probably have the space for a larger case and motherboard anyway.

I feel like that's something you could build some kind of custom rig where you'd have a rack full of those things, being fed by a big central water cooling system or something.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's the intended use-case for that delightful oddity? I feel like any form factor a home user would stick it into, the sheer size of the cooling apparatus needed would mean they'd probably have the space for a larger case and motherboard anyway.

I feel like that's something you could build some kind of custom rig where you'd have a rack full of those things, being fed by a big central water cooling system or something.

Gamers wanting a luggable system for lan parties? Is that a market?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

FunOne posted:

Gamers wanting a luggable system for lan parties? Is that a market?

Arguably there may be one coming up for VR backpacks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nobody is using a locked 28-core 2.8 GHz Xeon for VR backpacks or LAN parties. There's no sound or anything else either. If that is what you want, you'd buy a Z390 or X299 mITX board instead.

The target market is white-box edge systems that need to be compute-heavy, I'd think. It is definitely a weird board because they don't really have the space for many PHYs or controllers, so it's pretty limited in its capabilities, as far as these boards go. You get dual NICs, dual NVMe, one SATA DOM for boot, and four SATA ports for storage.

Without quad NICs or 10 GbE you probably aren't going to be a router, without 10 GbE you aren't going to be a NVMe fileserver, there's not a ton of expansion for SAS controllers so it doesn't make a good HDD fileserver, etc etc. And there's not a ton of expansion room unless you do a breakout riser.

The focus of this board is definitely compute, I think. Not sure what the exact workload would be that fits those exact set of limitations though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 8, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Preparing for the day that CPU buttcoin mining is once again profitable?

eames
May 9, 2009

Some rumors about new chipsets and CML floating around... 400 series for Comet Lake, 495 series for Icy Lake, LGA1200 socket, 10 core to have 125W TDP (heh)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I would expect that Intel launches in October like they did last year. That's probably about right for motherboards starting to get prepped.

The money question is of course whether Comet Lake will work on previous boards. It's not surprising they are releasing an additional chipset for Comet Lake, they always release a new one so that you can go out and buy a board that just works instead of having to gently caress around with finding an older chip to flash it up. Does 400 mean that it's part of the 370/390 family, where the 495 is the "next" chip?

edit: nope, if it's LGA1200 then it's not compatible. Intel's doing a one-off chipset, GG. (unless they do another gen on 14nm in which case :lol:)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 8, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

LGA1200 is just a vague rumor at this point but to be fair I do believe that a max overclocked 10 core could roast a few pins on the old socket.
Intel also teased a new dual ringbus architecture for comet lake a long time ago, I wonder if this is actually happening and what the latency implications will be.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14311/intel-process-technology-update-10nm-server-products-in-1h-2020-accelerated-7nm-in-2021

As a lot of people have theorized, looks like Intel is going to spend as little time as possible on 10nm.

Combined with the earlier roadmap leaks, looks like we get Ice Lake on 10nm this year with Tiger Lake mobile next year. They are also planning on some type of server product on 10nm for next year, but their 7nm EUV process is now planned to ship in 2021.

For desktop, it looks like a complete skip of 10nm. Comet Lake S coming next year, Rocket Lake in 2021 (both still 14nm), and then straight to 7nm.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cygni posted:

Comet Lake S coming next year, Rocket Lake in 2021 (both still 14nm)

:yeshaha:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here lies Larrabee, he never scored :rip:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Wonder if they'll do a fire sale of the parts again, I would be tempted to get one to play with.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some more data:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14312/intel-process-technology-roadmap-refined-nodes-specialized-technologies

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

my brain really wants to read it as "reckless abandon continues"

mewse
May 2, 2006

You know how in old cartoons in the stereotypical business meeting there'd be this chart with a red line going upwards? I always wondered what those charts were about, I think this is the first time I've conclusively seen one IRL

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"4x Reduction in design rules" the ongoing security flaws they're facing makes me wonder how that will play out

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bloody Antlers posted:

"4x Reduction in design rules" the ongoing security flaws they're facing makes me wonder how that will play out

"By simply accepting that this architecture is fundamentally flawed in a security sense, we decided to lean in and simply remove all the design rules we had been restricting ourselves with in attempts to mitigate security issues. The result, as you can see, is a massive reduction in red tape that will let us iterate more quickly on future nodes!"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Design rules have nothing to do with architectural design, they're about limitations on how you physically space things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

mewse posted:

You know how in old cartoons in the stereotypical business meeting there'd be this chart with a red line going upwards? I always wondered what those charts were about, I think this is the first time I've conclusively seen one IRL

Quite generous with the "only use 10nm for two cycles" pledge.