Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
okay yeah the fossil caves are actually SUPER COOL and very well lit so I'm not horrified atm

running out of depth capacity on my seamoth though

need to find the fragments for the last cyclops component I guess :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you have the Prawn Suit blueprints too?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
ghostrays are also my buddies :3: This is a very relaxing biome for being, you know, just about a kilometer down. The big scary assholes are visible from a jillion miles away so like the Giga-Eels I can just steer around them.

Hwurmp posted:

Do you have the Prawn Suit blueprints too?

actually yes and I've FINALLY found the goddamn active ingredient for aerogel down here. I also have... drill, grappling, and torpedo arm? And mk1 and mk2 depth upgrades

edit: lol I forgot before setting off on my excursion that I didn't have enough copper for a scanner room :saddowns: oh well at least I brought a beacon

double edit: "ghost leviathan eggs" wut

triple edit: oh, so that's probably a ghost leviathan

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 4, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Grapple and drill every reaper you see.

I think punching actually does more damage, as well as being more gratifying.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Punching does SO much more damage, the drill is total poo poo (for hurting things, it's a gamechanger for resource gathering).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I really wish that you could easily change the loadout of the prawn from inside the suit. Just let me use scroll wheel to swap between punch arm, grapple, and drill.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

why are these motherfucking stalkers chasing me across the entire map and swimming in circles around my life pod when im inside?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It sounds like a glitch, but are you carrying any stalker eggs?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I got this for free on the epic store and was off work for a week, so I binged it pretty hard. I absolutely loved the game, with the atmosphere and exploration, it gave an experience I haven't had from any other game. The story was okay but really I just loved having an actual end condition to work towards.

I told myself I was going to wait until release for Below Zero, but I bought it on a whim a couple of days ago. It's pretty good so far, bugs notwithstanding. I think I've hit the end of story content so far, so I might wait for a few updates before jumping back in even though I have a few places I haven't been to yet. It seems a lot darker underwater than the previous game, but maybe I'm just not remembering correctly.

I don't really like the sea truck as much as the seamoth though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Really confused as to why they are trying to reinvent the wheel when they made the most perfect videogame vehicle ever with the Cyclops...

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hobojim posted:

I got this for free on the epic store and was off work for a week, so I binged it pretty hard. I absolutely loved the game, with the atmosphere and exploration, it gave an experience I haven't had from any other game. The story was okay but really I just loved having an actual end condition to work towards.

I told myself I was going to wait until release for Below Zero, but I bought it on a whim a couple of days ago. It's pretty good so far, bugs notwithstanding. I think I've hit the end of story content so far, so I might wait for a few updates before jumping back in even though I have a few places I haven't been to yet. It seems a lot darker underwater than the previous game, but maybe I'm just not remembering correctly.

I don't really like the sea truck as much as the seamoth though.

The darkness underwater was in EA for the original too. Usually in new areas they'll carve out the geometry before they add lighting. It should get brighter when they finish.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Let me know if this has been discussed ad nauseam already. I have reservations about this game moving above ground. I really liked the idea that above ground was always a rare exception to the game rather than the default, and it seems like things might change a bunch in the expansion. What made the original special was that you were constantly faced with the horror of the depths, which is not something many (any?) games have done well this far. I hope they don't dilute this one strength that the title had.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I've played BZ enough to build all the seatruck accessories and a couple of seabases and explore 'around' but not 'everywhere', and I barely spent more than a few minutes on ice or ground in that whole time.

Maybe that'll change once they introduce the snow fox and put anything above ground worth going there for (and I seriously hope they (re?)-introduce some sort of temperature bar to go with food/water/oxygen/health or something, because the whole hot springs caves/heat plants/ability & or need to duck between cover to avoid freezing is totally superfluous without it, as is.

Basically, if they make going above ground/ice have ANY point at all, making it a sort of minigameplay system kind of like cave diving/wreck exploring is, I think it could be worthwhile.

Also, let me actually dock the loving seatruck at the seatruck dock, goddamnit, you cannot imagine the disappointment I felt when I showed up there for the first time with my seatruck already built...and couldn't do poo poo with it aside from leaving my seatruck bobbing vaguely parallel with it.

Also, give us a seatruck-leveling button of some sort, because parking as best you can and having your whole 4-compartment truck at a 70 degree angle while you walk around in it sucks.

edit: Also they really need to work on Robin's animations a bit more, because the best she can do when diving into the water is a bellyflop, every single time, and it just looks painful.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Just chimming in to say I've finished Subnautica. Amazing game, agree with the general sentiment that the final biomes are annoying and I wish I could have used the Seamoth for everything, but I still enjoyed the very final segments. Cyclops was cool, but kind of unnecessary beyond being a mobile base and driving the Prawn around.

How is Below Zero shaping up? Did they give a date for its eventual release out of Early Access?

https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1121206690765004800

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The snowfox is a fun idea, but so far it isn't really useful. Especially because any little bump sends it flying.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Having above ground bits in the sequel to subnautica makes sense to me because the original had moments when you went above ground too. There it was a surprise, a thing that could be spoilered, but I don't think they could do that trick again. I'm sure the game is still going to be mostly underwater and that theres some scary poo poo you can do with an above ground section. Might be a part with blinding, white out conditions that getting lost in would suck or something.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wrr posted:

Having above ground bits in the sequel to subnautica makes sense to me because the original had moments when you went above ground too. There it was a surprise, a thing that could be spoilered, but I don't think they could do that trick again. I'm sure the game is still going to be mostly underwater and that theres some scary poo poo you can do with an above ground section. Might be a part with blinding, white out conditions that getting lost in would suck or something.

having a predator that only comes out during a whiteout would be terrifying. trying to navigate by beacon while fighting off ice wolves or something along that line that you can’t see coming but can hear.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is the base building and resource gathering fun in the ice expansion?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

ikanreed posted:

Is the base building and resource gathering fun in the ice expansion?

Not as much as the original yet IMO. It's still too raw.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Uh, you can't build a water filtration machine inside the cyclops anymore?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Build a growbed instead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

enraged_camel posted:

No, but you can put two grow plots down, which will produce enough bulbo fruit to keep you hydrated and fed!
:eng101:

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

enraged_camel posted:

Wait, you could do that?

...Can you still do that in the original game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No, but you can put two grow plots down, which will produce enough bulbo fruit to keep you hydrated and fed!
:eng101:
Everyone talks up hydromelons, but bulbo fruit is where it's at.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I had a lantern fruit tree growing in my cyclops, and that thing had amazing yields and a fast growth rate for more fruit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I keep falling through the Cyclops. Usually I'll be browsing one of the lockers, and all of a sudden, my character teleports outside, above the cyclops. But, uh, it's like water stops being water, and I fall to the ocean floor as if falling through air. Then I die.

It's pretty drat incredible that these types of bugs still exist.

On the bright side, the pop-in ini fix is a loving godsend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it happens, but if you survive the fall, just run until you start swimming again, it eventually will "recognize" you're underwater and return to normal

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Captain Invictus posted:

it happens, but if you survive the fall, just run until you start swimming again, it eventually will "recognize" you're underwater and return to normal

...and then you can drown. Like normal! :eng99:

enraged_camel posted:

On the bright side, the pop-in ini fix is a loving godsend.

wot? :pwn:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Captain Invictus posted:

I always had to build a hallway and hatch to enter and exit in order for the game to realize I was swimming again. Also I only encountered this bug once post-release, and my sub was chilling near the seafloor in the Lost River so I was able to build, transit, deconstruct, and make it back inside my large adult son before drowning!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

you can fiddle with the game's config files to massively reduce pop-in

you do take a framerate hit, but it's not that bad

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I had a weird one in Below Zero. I docked my seatruck in the moonpool, ran around my base for a while, then went back to get in the seatruck. When I pressed the button to get in, it teleported me to the main hatch of my base and had me go through that instead, but it thought I was underwater for some reason. So I was swimming around my base drowning, and when I tried to leave by going to the hatch again, I opened it and entered my base again but this time not underwater.

It was very odd.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’ve had that happen in base game a few times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

you can fiddle with the game's config files to massively reduce pop-in

you do take a framerate hit, but it's not that bad

Does it increase the rate you fall through the cyclops?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MikeJF posted:

Does it increase the rate you fall through the cyclops?

Has anyone else noticed that the rate of this cyclops bug is most drastically increased in the Koosh Zone/Mountains areas?

I've had it happen almost everywhere, but I dread bringing my Cyclops into those zones at all, because even trying to sprint between the conn and the vehicle/diving hatch or vice versa without it happening isn't even viable at times.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Wrr posted:

Having above ground bits in the sequel to subnautica makes sense to me because the original had moments when you went above ground too. There it was a surprise, a thing that could be spoilered, but I don't think they could do that trick again. I'm sure the game is still going to be mostly underwater and that there's some scary poo poo you can do with an above ground section. Might be a part with blinding, white out conditions that getting lost in would suck or something.

That's probably the big challenge in the expansion. More than anything else Subnautica survived on novelty. Individual parts were buggy and poorly designed, but only if you engaged with them and there was a lot of unexpected content to keep you from doing this.

The question is whether they have enough new ideas to plaster over the fact that they never got certain parts of the engine and core mechanics working.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm most dismayed by the reports that the world map in the expansion will be smaller than that of the original game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

I'm most dismayed by the reports that the world map in the expansion will be smaller than that of the original game.
Subnautica's infinity ghost levi overreaction squad always reminded me how tiny the game world was more than the previous empty void.

Maybe given the ice theme, they will use a glacier wall instead ? (would potentially take less resources than 'spam monsters' too :v: )

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

enraged_camel posted:

I’m not sure why you are dismayed, it’s a large expansion but it is still just an expansion and not a completely new game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Oasx posted:

I’m not sure why you are dismayed, it’s a large expansion but it is still just an expansion and not a completely new game.

My dude, if it’s an “expansion” then why is it the same price as the base game?

The base game, too, started at 19.99 and was bumped up to 24.99 with release.

Furthermore, if anything, now that they are reusing a lot of the core framework, mechanics and systems, they should be able to add more content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

enraged_camel posted:

My dude, if it’s an “expansion” then why is it the same price as the base game?

The base game, too, started at 19.99 and was bumped up to 24.99 with release.

Furthermore, if anything, now that they are reusing a lot of the core framework, mechanics and systems, they should be able to add more content.

The expansion might not be as big, but the map is still around 80% of the size of the original game, there are two new vehicles, a lot of new creatures, new story, new map etc.
They are putting a lot of work into this oversized expansion and 20$ is really cheap for what you are getting.

I agree that the pricing is a little odd, but they could be asking 40$ and I would still think it was worth the money, bugs aside.