Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I made a throwing knife "master" build that's embarrassingly fun and effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK guys you were incredibly right. Either my muscle memory is already improving since yesterday, or the new loadouts I created with the recommended weapons (except those with a level requirement like rapier and war axe, still level 3) make a huge difference

I have now 3 favorite layouts:
2/2/1 halberd
3/3/2 poleaxe + lute (probably will replace the lute with a 1 point perk, it was just for fun - the poleaxe is disgustingly versatile without sacrificing armor)
2/3/1 short spear + shield + bastard sword (this is extremely versatile too, and excellent in defense)

do I *really* need a secondary weapon on the first two? I find that if I get disarmed I might as well be dead already, rarely get the time to switch to a secondary, and the poleaxe is a do-it-all weapon if ever there was one, while the halberd ... well I thought about getting a dagger to go with it, since it's very awkward at short range, but I am scared to remove armor and anyway that's a "team play" build, surely not for dueling

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Just pick up a dead man's weapon. I use 3 / 2 / 2 eveningstar + the health regen. I wade in and clobberknock a person or two and then leave to heal. Pretty fun.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know how the customization works at all, can you combine standard classes with perks? Because I just want to play Veteran until I get enough gold for my own class, but I also don't want to burn to death immediately

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I skip leg armor on every single build, people just don't seem to aim for the legs very much, are Goons actually wearing leg armor?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I've never been disarmed in my first 15-20 hours of the game other than the scripted instance in the tutorial. I don't think it's very likely unless you're constantly swinging blindly or in a very very long parry/chamber exchange.

I would also suggest finding somewhere to save 1 point in your builds and pick up the tenacious perk. It's a huge help in staying alive longer if you focus on letting yourself rest between fights. For example, my personal halberd build is 2-2-0 for armor to save that extra point, and while skipping leg day is supposed to be bad I've only been killed by a bear trap like once.

timn fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 6, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Diogines posted:

I skip leg armor on every single build, people just don't seem to aim for the legs very much, are Goons actually wearing leg armor?

A hookbill guy was wrecking people because of this on a server I was on

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Diogines posted:

This works really well until you meet the guy who loves hacking off legs

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sure, but that is a very small portion of players. And I would rather have tenacious and friendly fire perks 95% of the time?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

hmmm

should I replace 2/3/1 with 3/2/1 on my medium armor+shield loadout? Shield helps with body defense a lot, but I still feel plenty of people will mostly hack at your torso anyway

I honest to God like the points system a lot, there's always compromises to be made but you would really, really want to get everything. Can't wait until I'm good enough to actually go light on armor and get more/bigger weapons or more perks and fun stuff like firebombs or secondary weapons to play around

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Diogines posted:

Sure, but that is a very small portion of players. And I would rather have tenacious and friendly fire perks 95% of the time?

I'd take better leg armor vs. friendly tbh

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd take better leg armor vs. friendly tbh

but -team damage received is very important in frontline and similar, where you'll get mulched by your teammates more than the enemies (I agree with you though, I want armor, more armor all the time)

timn
Mar 16, 2010
A weird meta thing I've thought about is that some of the cosmetics and especially one of the higher level locked medium chest armors have long aprons which could visually conceal what you are (or aren't) wearing on your legs. Though this won't stop someone from seeing what you have on your player card during the death screen if you kill them.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Whats the point of shields that dont let you hold block?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bigger parry window. kind of like the parry shields in dark souls.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Real Good At Mordhau Man Trix, the dude who made videos throughout like all of alpha, just put a really good tutorial video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVf-8qU4mIc

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Whats the point of shields that dont let you hold block?

Cowcaster posted:

bigger parry window. kind of like the parry shields in dark souls.

they also affect the stamina cost of blocking

weapons cost differing amounts of stamina to block (i.e. parrying a polearm costs more stamina than stopping a dagger), and the weapon you parry with provides a discount to this (i.e. it'll cost you less stamina to parry that polearm with another polearm than with a dagger of your own)

buckler replaces the discount to blocking with one equivalent to a heavy 2h weapon, so it will bring a fast/light 1h weapon like the rapier up to parity in terms of stamina efficiency

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
0/0/2 war axe tencaious bloodlust rush :getin: :black101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

discovered last night that all of the heavily armored, 3/3/3 knights really don't like when you bring a mace to a duel server to kill heavily armed 3/3/3 knights.

Buckler/Mace is a pro-rear end combination btw.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Idc about maces, I wear heavy armor to ignore rapier + heater shield fuckfaces

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can deal with a shield guy, I can deal with a rapier guy, but yeah shield+rapier is just something I can't seem to work around yet. Rapier dudes just spam stab which is easy to deal with when they don't also have the defense of the shield to fall back on lol

Pro-tip, something I've learned to start doing on duel servers and I'm like the only motherfucker out here doing it:

Chamber an attack, but feint out of the chamber and start another attack. People always block after the chamber to get their turn back, so feint before your own attack starts but after the chamber and you'll catch them every time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Trying some stuff out last night, found putting one set of spikes in the middle of a path tends to work pretty well for defensive purposes rather than trying to entirely block off an entrance. Since you aren't covering the whole thing you typically won't see them smashed up by enemies that can otherwise walk around them, but people on horses tend to smash right into them without even looking and it's hilarious.

Nothing quite like seeing a horseman riding off into the distance after doing an attack run and then getting immediately face planted into the ground off his horse.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So apparently they sold 500k copies already, which isn't bad for a tiny team who all work remotely. Well deserved though, game's awesome.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/629760/announcements/detail/1616140423563616612

quote:

It's been one hell of a ride thus far, and it's only been 7 days. None of us would've expected this reception in our wildest dreams.
As of today MORDHAU has sold just shy of 500.000 copies and we have reached a peak of 60.000 concurrent players yesterday. These are just mindblowing numbers to us, and we still haven't fully realized that MORDHAU is currently among the top played games on Steam.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 6, 2019

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Babe Magnet posted:

Real Good At Mordhau Man Trix, the dude who made videos throughout like all of alpha, just put a really good tutorial video

That's good stuff, thanks. This explains why I got my weapon slapped from my hand while chambering some spear dude's every attack. I had no idea chambering had such a heavy stamina cost.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That's like.. nearly 15 million bux if I do easy math of 29.99. so...after steams cut they have about 10 mill to split between 11 people.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, regular rapier dude running around with no armor is decent. Normally I can squeeze in a poke or two at the face to end things. Once they combine heavy armor and shield though :shrug:
Any other weapon combo I feel like I learned something from the death, or can theory how to beat them next time. Just not stabstabstabstab lol.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I legit run away from rapier and shield guys and when they focus on someone else I crush their heads with the eveningstar

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bardeh posted:

So apparently they sold 500k copies already, which isn't bad for a tiny team who all work remotely. Well deserved though, game's awesome.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/629760/announcements/detail/1616140423563616612

drat, that's awesome for them. I'm just continually impressed at how tight and polished the game feels when you're in the thick of it. The only thing I really want is just more maps.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They made only around 300k for their initial kickstarter pitch, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what this team can do with some real-rear end money.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bardeh posted:

That's amazing. I'm not sorry I kickstarted this.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Commoners posted:

The rapier, short spear, halberd, and zweihander seem to be kind of the outlier weapons from what I've seen. Feels like the latter two are balanced by having a huge cost even though you can mulch teams with them, but the rapier and ss are just kind of ???. Those are just the weapons that kind of have alarm bells ringing in my head as far as being kind of out there in their roles and really easy to use/painful to play against.

Rapier in light or no armor with rush as a perk means you can just zip through teams poking everyone without a helmet in the head.

Rush in general seems to be REALLY good for high damage output + light armor combinations.

halberd and zwei are both weapons that take 11 loving points out of 16, which means that it's okay that they're super good because you have no backup weapon, no shield, bad armour and bad perks. I honestly think they're both fine. Halberd can maybe do with a small buff honestly.

short spear and rapier are far cheaper so you can combine them with shields, backup weapons, decent armour and perks, but they're still super loving strong. A friend of mine goes Rapier with T2 armour and a buckler and routinely goes through people like he's a wood chipper despite genuinely not knowing how to play the game in any way beyond mashing the stab button

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nalesh posted:

Is he using the directional key mode for swing angle?

Also what's the point of throwing knives, they just seem like worse throwing axes, do you get more of em or something?

You get twice as many throwing knives and they do almost the same damage against unarmored targets, but they suffer a lot more against armor, doing less than half the damage of axes against heavy body armor.
Also, axes can apparently get one-hit-kills against light armor and below.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Smh at not seeing more people use the 3 lute and no armor build.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

OP strategy once you get comfortable with many weapons:

Make a character with 3/3/preference armor and stack them up with perks. Take many good perks. Scavenge a weapon from the battlefield.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Im looking forward to a user made map with a lot of horses

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

actual jousting tournament grounds

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is anyone else having the game freeze and become unresponsive if you alt-tab out? I keep trying to do poo poo like browse SA on my second monitor while waiting for the next round in skirmish mode and the game will just drop to 1 FPS for a few seconds and then totally freeze and need to be killed with the task manager.

TorakFade posted:

do I *really* need a secondary weapon on the first two? I find that if I get disarmed I might as well be dead already, rarely get the time to switch to a secondary, and the poleaxe is a do-it-all weapon if ever there was one, while the halberd ... well I thought about getting a dagger to go with it, since it's very awkward at short range, but I am scared to remove armor and anyway that's a "team play" build, surely not for dueling

Goodplayer and community manager guy Jax talked a little bit on stream about hanging on to a fast weapon like a dagger to finish people off after getting a big-damage headshot or similar. Maybe worth carrying one around with big heavy weapons like waraxe/maul/exe sword since you can bring people to super low HP with just one hit and then potentially finish them off with a dagger poke.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

good vid

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Diogines posted:

OP strategy once you get comfortable with many weapons:

Make a character with 3/3/preference armor and stack them up with perks. Take many good perks. Scavenge a weapon from the battlefield.

I'm not sure it isn't worth forgoing a random 1 point perk to get a cleaver or something though, since not being *totally* unarmed has definite advantages and at the very least you can chuck it once you've grabbed a zweihander or w/e

its almost certainly better than, say, taking brawler (in non-meme terms anyhow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deakul posted:

Smh at not seeing more people use the 3 lute and no armor build.