Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Isn't pork super cheap right now because of a surplus caused by trade embargo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
More rain coming this weekend... bummed.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

More rain coming this weekend... bummed.

Just do what I do and put your grill under a patio cover.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Get a patio umbrella.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just cut some holes in the sides of a plastic tupper ware container so it can vent the smoke and throw it on top over the smoker vent. Works fine if it isn't windy too (it always is).

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Suburban Dad posted:

I just cut some holes in the sides of a plastic tupper ware container so it can vent the smoke and throw it on top over the smoker vent. Works fine if it isn't windy too (it always is).

I have a piece of 2x12 I set on top of my vent for when it rains. It smells nice. :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I throw a rack of ribs over the exhaust.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Did ribs and a brisket saturday and sunday respectively. I've been smoking 100% with my weber kettle and liking it more each time. Couple notes:

- The intake vent on the bottom is basically the gas pedal, the vent on top is the brake. Ideally you want the top vent as open as possible, though I find that halfway regulates temperature well for me. Once I'm into the groove, the top vent is full open and the bottom vent is closed or almost closed. I never open the bottom vent past more than half way unless I'm trying to ignite coals
- I made note of the open, half open, and fully closed positions of the intake vent and then marked them with a sharpie. Makes it really really easy to adjust. I don't know why weber hasn't done this. Just two notches.
- I'm using lump charcoal and putting it in a C on the hot half of the grill, and dropping hot coals at one end to start it off. This gives me 3-6 hours before a refill is needed and keeps the temps right.
- The kettle is amazing. No really,

The kettle is amazing. Now that I've dialed in my temp control, I'm able to smoke at the level that I used to pull off with my masterbuilt electric. I can't wait to smoke again with it.

Also, I made the memphis dust rub from amazingribs and it's actually really solid. I somehow managed to have actual ginger powder in stock and I made the rosemary powder with rosemary from my garden. It's a super good rub. My only comment is that I added a bit of salt to it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

revmoo posted:

- The intake vent on the bottom is basically the gas pedal, the vent on top is the brake. Ideally you want the top vent as open as possible, though I find that halfway regulates temperature well for me. Once I'm into the groove, the top vent is full open and the bottom vent is closed or almost closed. I never open the bottom vent past more than half way unless I'm trying to ignite coals

Granted I'm new to smoking on my Weber, but wouldn't you want to keep the top vent somewhat closed to keep smoke in longer? Rather than going right out the vent?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My understanding is that you want a clean burn, which means evacuating the remnants of incomplete combustion. Just a theory as I'm still pretty new to BBQ. White smoke is bad, you want the thin blue smoke, and I think keeping the exhaust open helps with that. I definitely don't have a lack of smoke flavor in my food.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Dango Bango posted:

Granted I'm new to smoking on my Weber, but wouldn't you want to keep the top vent somewhat closed to keep smoke in longer? Rather than going right out the vent?

Not really no. You put your wood on one side of the kettle and the food and vent on the other, so the smoke has to travel a little. Holding smoke in your kettle can lead to a bitter flavor from creosote.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but my Smoke would give impossible readings after a little while (like 80F in a 300F smoker or boiling water), and replacing the probes didn’t fix it. I moved on.

I was going to also post that I’ve had two Thermoworks products do this kind of thing, even after replacing the probes... their old probe leave-in thermometer reader and a dual thermocouple professional temp reader.

I’m glad people are happy with theirs but I wouldn’t get one after spending on those. The thermapen seems to be fine though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Picked up some pork belly. I know I want to smoke it but I don't want to really bother with curing or brining.

Is it possible to make actual breakfast bacon or is curing or other steps required?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

revmoo posted:

Picked up some pork belly. I know I want to smoke it but I don't want to really bother with curing or brining.

Is it possible to make actual breakfast bacon or is curing or other steps required?

What makes bacon ‘bacon’ is the cure. To get that flavor you need some nitrates in there.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Bummer ok.

So I want to put it on tomorrow for 6ish hours and serve it sliced. Can I treat it like brisket or do I need do change things up?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Do this with your pork belly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If I can't come up with a better recipe I will, but I'm already doing brisket burnt ends tomorrow so I don't really need 2 varieties.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wanna do this and put it in baked beans

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've had em before. They're good, but you don't "feel good" eating them because they're so goddamn fatty. Just feels wrong lol.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

If I want to cook pork ribs low and slow tomorrow, what's the best temp to start at?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I always aim for 225-250 when doing spare ribs. If you go on the higher end I'd hit them with a spritz every hourish or so.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Spiggy posted:

I always aim for 225-250 when doing spare ribs. If you go on the higher end I'd hit them with a spritz every hourish or so.

Yeah I do 225 for pork ribs, 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours wrapped and 30 minutes on the grill at a low temp to caramelize the sauce

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I got an XL Ceramic Komodo Grill and then it's just been a week+ of rain straight.

Come on weather cooperate so I can make a buttload of meat please

edit: The first thing I'm going to do is a brisket though; anyone got a rub they really, really like that I can steal?
edit2: I'm finding cook times all over the place; can anyone ballpark what I should be expecting at a 225F cook? I'm seeing anything from 1hr/lb to 2hrs+/lb. Just looking for some anecdotes so I can at least ballpark when I start a first attempt

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 13, 2019

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Walked posted:

I got an XL Ceramic Komodo Grill and then it's just been a week+ of rain straight.

Come on weather cooperate so I can make a buttload of meat please

edit: The first thing I'm going to do is a brisket though; anyone got a rub they really, really like that I can steal?
edit2: I'm finding cook times all over the place; can anyone ballpark what I should be expecting at a 225F cook? I'm seeing anything from 1hr/lb to 2hrs+/lb. Just looking for some anecdotes so I can at least ballpark when I start a first attempt

For rub, S&P is the choice for me. Just equal parts of each, ideally using fresh medium ground pepper.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Walked posted:

Cooking brisket always takes 25-50% more time than you budgeted, no matter how generously you budget time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xsf421 posted:

Cooking brisket always takes 25-50% more time than you budgeted, no matter how generously you budget time.

Constant of the universe right here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xsf421 posted:

Except the times it takes 4 hours less and you have to rush it into towels and a cooler until the earliest you can possibly serve dinner.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
After my pulled pork was such a hit, i'm being asked to do another! which is great however I don't want to have to get up early the day of the party so I was thinking of doing the pork a day before. I've been reading on line and it seems people are keeping the pork together, letting it rest on the counter then putting it back in the fridge, reheating then shreading. Is this about the sequence of events I should shoot for? I don't want to keep the pork in the danger zone by just tossing it in the fridge after resting, how long should I budget before it goes in over night, if it even should do that?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Twlight posted:

After my pulled pork was such a hit, i'm being asked to do another! which is great however I don't want to have to get up early the day of the party so I was thinking of doing the pork a day before. I've been reading on line and it seems people are keeping the pork together, letting it rest on the counter then putting it back in the fridge, reheating then shreading. Is this about the sequence of events I should shoot for? I don't want to keep the pork in the danger zone by just tossing it in the fridge after resting, how long should I budget before it goes in over night, if it even should do that?

You could cook, shred, reserve the fat and juices, then refrigerate overnight. Next day before party time, re-melt the fat and drizzle it over the shredded pork then put the entire platter of it under the broiler and turn it in to carnitas. Not strictly classic pulled pork, but still really really delicious.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I don't think it will shred nicely once reheated. I would rest, shred, then cool the day before and then reheat the next day in a crock pot. You can keep the meat moist during the reheating by stirring in some apple juice.

When I do a bunch of meat, like 6 or 8 butts, I'll pull them one at a time and spread it out on a cookie sheet to cool before I vacuum seal and freeze. I don't want to have a huge pile of meat sitting in the fridge and possibly have the middle of the meat stay in the danger zone for too long.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah don't store then pull. Most often I do my butts the day before. Shred & cool on cookie sheet for a little bit then toss it in the fridge for the next day. Next day I fire up the crock pot and simmer it up.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice everyone! shredding it the night before will make everything simple, and I can split the butt in two, some broiled for some crispy ends, and some just juicy.

E: I don't have a crock pot but the juices in some aluminium pans should keep it moist enough, especially with saving the drippings.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Went and bought a 6lb brisket.

So my math at 225F says 1:15/lb so roughly 7hrs (+ buncha time because everyone says so)

I normally eat dinner 5-530 (fuckin kids man)
I wake up 530ish normally.

I am thinking about firing this up shortly after my morning routine; trying to get it on the Komodo by 630 - 7am which puts +7hrs at 1:30 - 2pm, so I'd have 3hrs of leeway until 5pm.

Is this a realistic timeframe? Am I being too optimisic? Should I plan to start this sooner / earlier in the day?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds like a flat? Just put it in early and rest it more of needed. For full packers, the night before always works out better for me.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That's probably enough time. Plan for an hour to get the smoker prepped and up to temp, and to season and trim the brisket before it makes it on the fire, but for a 6lb, that should be good.

Make sure you put enough coals to burn all day though, if you have to refill, you'll lose a lot of time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Walked posted:

Went and bought a 6lb brisket.

So my math at 225F says 1:15/lb so roughly 7hrs (+ buncha time because everyone says so)

I normally eat dinner 5-530 (fuckin kids man)
I wake up 530ish normally.

I am thinking about firing this up shortly after my morning routine; trying to get it on the Komodo by 630 - 7am which puts +7hrs at 1:30 - 2pm, so I'd have 3hrs of leeway until 5pm.

Is this a realistic timeframe? Am I being too optimisic? Should I plan to start this sooner / earlier in the day?

I think that's plenty, especially if you wrap it when it hits the stall (You definitely should, either butcher paper or foil). Without a wrap you might bump up against time limits, or end up not having enough resting time. Or, worse, do the thing I've done more than once and get super impatient then start carving before there's a chance for a proper rest and it doesn't end up as tender as you wanted :(
But yeah, pull at 203+ and enjoyyyyy

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sweet; thanks guys.

I'll fire up the komodo at 530 when I get up so it comes up to temp; hit the gym; pop everything on by 630-7am and wrap when it stalls.

Super hyped for this. I fuckin love brisket

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to do a brisket soon.

Brisket rules.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Brisket rules and takes so long. Last time I did a brisket for 6pm I think I got up at 5am to get it in smoker.

I'd honestly get up early and put it in at 530am it's easier to store in a cooler wrapped in paper and a towel to keep the heat than it is to make it Cook more quicker. Any brisket I've done takes 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Brisket flat done in 5.5 hours. Hot and fast.