Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I messed around for a few hours last night and got Swiss and gameboy interface working on my PAL GameCube without the need for a sd to GameCube adapter or action replay. Once again I’m blown away how much work appears to have gone into these homebrew efforts. Being able to force progressive scan on PAL games is awesome.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Fired up my ancient Deathrow disc on my new Xbox. gently caress yea.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

bear named tators posted:

I'm looking to buy a Gameboy and/or Gameboy Pocket on eBay... anything I should look out for that I'll regret not paying attention to? I know a lot of systems are refurbished... I even found people counterfeiting the stickers that go on the back. I guess I don't care if the body is new/replica, but are refurbished screens and buttons particularly better or worse than original? Any real difference between plastic and glass screens?

I did this very recently. Some reshells are better than others but for GBC/GBP I stuck with original. I'm picky as hell and only wanted clean, original GBC and GBPs.

I got a GBC from a fellow goon and one from eBay. Both have stupidly clean screens and rear labels. With the GBC the US versions have large serial labels (which I wanted), whereas other versions had tiny ones.

You'll likely have a glass screen in the future as the plastic is prone to scratching. I'm trying to be careful with mine, but it's inevitable.

Good luck. I spent hours scouring eBay for perfection. Most sellers don't have pics of the rear, and when you do see a pic it's usually trashed, or missing the battery cover.

If I were you I'd just buy an original one, and if you will replace the lens with a glass one and don't care about rear labels, 80% of the ones you see should be fine. There are also a bunch of specials from Japan that can be had for cheap, if you don't care about region. I don't think region locking was a thing with these anyway.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Disposable Scud posted:

Got a new controller for my Xbox 360 today, leading to me using it for the first time in about 3 years, there's been some issues with the right stick though, not sure if it's an actual problem with the controller or just the the fact that I haven't used the system in years and need to get used to the controls again

Also got a controller for my Android phone that seems to work pretty well, so I need to hurry up and finish downloading a bunch of GBA and DS roms so I can put them on my phone(already got a lot of NES and GB/GBC games on there, and I've got plenty of SNES roms to put on there as well)

Actually that brings up a good point, at the moment I'm using dedicated emulators for those systems(John GBAC and John NESS to be specific), but I do have RetroArch on here, but I haven't put any cores in it yet, if I do start using RetroArch, which cores should I use since a lot of systems have multiple ones available

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Disposable Scud posted:

that's a rad game, hell yea

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

KingEup posted:

I messed around for a few hours last night and got Swiss and gameboy interface working on my PAL GameCube without the need for a sd to GameCube adapter or action replay. Once again I’m blown away how much work appears to have gone into these homebrew efforts. Being able to force progressive scan on PAL games is awesome.

What did you do to manage that? I use an AR to boot into Swiss right now, but wouldn't mind other options.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Are there replacement shells for the gamecube? And if so, do they come in atomic purple?

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Disposable Scud posted:

Deathrow is an excellent title. My friends and I had fun winning the campaign by KOing the opposing team over and over. Towards the end of the league, the opponents started getting tough enough that the strategy stopped working and we suddenly scrambled to figure out how to effectively score actual points.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So for GBA games that use tilt sensors like Wario Ware Twisted or Yoshi Tilt n Tumble, do any emulators handle it properly, especially those available for Android

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Echophonic posted:

What did you do to manage that? I use an AR to boot into Swiss right now, but wouldn't mind other options.

The method I used is not superior to your one. I just have to use the windwaker disc because I don't have an AR one.

I put a regular Gamecube memory card into slot A my wii

I then installed the homebrew channel and gamecube memory manager on my Wii.

I then downloaded swiss and the windwaker exploit and saved it onto an SD card.

I then stuck the sd card into the Wii sd card port and restored swiss and the windwaker exploit to the Gamecube memory card using the gamecube memory manager app on my Wii.

Finally I took the gamecube memory card out and stuck it in my gamecube and booted the windwaker.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So weird question... I got a 32" Trinitron last year that ended up just sitting in the basement for a while. It got wet from being down there, I tried it out the other day and the picture and sound are fine, but there's some... weird things going on. It doesn't respond to the remote at all, and I even tried a universal remote and it's not responding either. The front controls are weird, like the power button works but most of the other buttons don't work or they do something they're not supposed to... like the Menu down button turns the volume up and now it's stuck at max volume and I can't change the input. But SNES games look beautiful on it. Is there any way I can fix this or am I screwed

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sounds like corroded boards in the front. Only way to check would be to open but unless you could source a replacement board dunno if it can really be fixed if it's corroded which is likely the culprit.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So after I went through and purchased a bunch of retro systems..I came to the realization that my Switch is likely capable of doing a lot of it on Homebrew. I had a few questions if anyone's done this already..

I'm looking at emulating NES, SNES, Genesis and the GB/GBC variants. Does it work well? Any issues with things like lag?
Will it work in docked mode with my TV and joycons wirelessly?
What's the frontend look like? Or is it just a matter of getting Retroarch setup?
I've also heard of another tool called Lakka, but have no idea how it works..

I'm going to read more about it tonight to see, but figured someone else has already gone through this.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ChaseSP posted:

Sounds like corroded boards in the front. Only way to check would be to open but unless you could source a replacement board dunno if it can really be fixed if it's corroded which is likely the culprit.

If it's just surface corrosion and mineral deposits, scrubbing it off with some isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush might take care of it. The traces are probably going to be fairly large, so hopefully the issue is that they're bridged as opposed to eaten through.

If it was actually sitting in water (either due to a flood or the board being positioned in a spot where the water could stand), then it's likely to need more attention than that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No it was never sitting in standing water or anything like that. I’ll try to open it up and see what I can do, thanks for the tips

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Usually on TVs, the infrared/front panel components have a different power supply than the rest of the TV. This is so that you can have the TV be "off" but still have it respond to the remote's power button.

It's probably just corrosion but don't assume that it's getting clean power, is my point.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
More Mega SG shennanigans. Played through Blades of Vengeance, really cool game. Almost bounced off of it for being too difficult, until I realized you are basically invincible when you are ducking and blocking and eventually made it through the whole game. Some great sprites and good tunes.

Think I'm going to go for a longer game and start Crusader of Centy next. Don't know much about it other than it's pricey af on Ebay and it looks like ALttP.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bank posted:

So after I went through and purchased a bunch of retro systems..I came to the realization that my Switch is likely capable of doing a lot of it on Homebrew. I had a few questions if anyone's done this already..

I'm looking at emulating NES, SNES, Genesis and the GB/GBC variants. Does it work well? Any issues with things like lag?
What's the frontend look like? Or is it just a matter of getting Retroarch setup?

I'm going to read more about it tonight to see, but figured someone else has already gone through this.

There's a pretty good thread about Nintendo homebrew here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Bank posted:

Emulation on switch is amazing. The listed systems work perfectly, and things like N64 and PSP are progressing nicely. I haven't noticed any problems with lag. Playing GB/GBC games in handheld mode with the right filter makes it look like a big GBC screen.

Works fine in both handheld and docked mode.

If you take the time to set up, you can put shortcuts on the switch home menu that load straight into roms, which looks really nice and works well but obviously takes a little effort. Otherwise it's just the retroarch ui, which is fine too.

Biggest downside is once I set it up I had to put it on airplane mode, and can't reconnect without being insta-banned.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Usually on TVs, the infrared/front panel components have a different power supply than the rest of the TV. This is so that you can have the TV be "off" but still have it respond to the remote's power button.

It's probably just corrosion but don't assume that it's getting clean power, is my point.

Ah that would make sense too since the picture and sound are perfect. Hell I’m surprised the front composite input works.

I know I’ve read somewhere that CRTs have some component inside that you should never ever touch because you could electrocute yourself, what is it so I can avoid dying when I open it up

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

There's a pretty good thread about Nintendo homebrew here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Miles McCloud posted:

Emulation on switch is amazing.

Thank you both. Looks like I'll be doing some tinkering tonight.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ah that would make sense too since the picture and sound are perfect. Hell I’m surprised the front composite input works.

I know I’ve read somewhere that CRTs have some component inside that you should never ever touch because you could electrocute yourself, what is it so I can avoid dying when I open it up

The Cathode Ray Tube itself can hold a pretty serious voltage even after the tv has been powered off and unplugged.

You need to discharge the CRT’s anode before doing anything with it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Miles McCloud posted:

Biggest downside is once I set it up I had to put it on airplane mode, and can't reconnect without being insta-banned.
So this is one of the two big caveats with Switch homebrew--the other being that only the older hardware revision (which is limited in quantity) is easily hackable.

While I think Switch homebrew is certainly interesting, and has great long-term potential, I think it's just too risky for anyone who has a serious investment in Switch games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao at all of this

http://damntechnology.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-disassemble-and-clean-game-watch.html

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

that's a pretty great troll

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While I think Switch homebrew is certainly interesting, and has great long-term potential, I think it's just too risky for anyone who has a serious investment in Switch games.

I made it work by buying a second switch last year when ebay had those 15% off everything codes, then selling the dock, joycons, and everything else except the tablet. This way I have a "clean" tablet for switch games and a "dirty" tablet for emulation and mods. I think it ended up costing me less than $100 in the end.

It's a little harder now since all the systems made after like July of 2018 aren't easily hackable, but if you already have one that is I think it's definitely worth it.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Installed the famed moguri mod for FFIX tonight and I dont know what I was expecting, but I ended up extremely disappointed. After all that talk about AI deep learning and such, the end result is basically one of those Vaseline filters that comes with every emulator ever.
I guess I'll just buy the original discs from SquareEnix store and play it on my PVM.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Putrid Grin posted:

Installed the famed moguri mod for FFIX tonight and I dont know what I was expecting, but I ended up extremely disappointed. After all that talk about AI deep learning and such, the end result is basically one of those Vaseline filters that comes with every emulator ever.
I guess I'll just buy the original discs from SquareEnix store and play it on my PVM.

From what I've seen it looks super sharp. I wouldn't mind seeing screenshots of what you think is awful.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Crackbone posted:

It’s probably the best “single board computer” option, and has the nice bonus of being a pretty good media player. Personally I hate the controller it ships with, but otherwise it’s my goto for emulation up to PSP. Dreamcast apparently works but haven’t bothered to mess with that.

It does, but it's riiiight on the edge on what the Shield can do.

It's playable but not quite perfect.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are the DSI XL screens as big a deal as some people make them out to be? I'm getting a hankering for playing DS-era pokemon again, and since DSI XL's can be had fairly cheap, I'd do it if it adds something over my DS Lite

Help me spend money, goons

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are the DSI XL screens as big a deal as some people make them out to be? I'm getting a hankering for playing DS-era pokemon again, and since DSI XL's can be had fairly cheap, I'd do it if it adds something over my DS Lite

They stretch the pixels out a bit. It'll be easier to see, but will look a bit duller. It's been a while since I used one, but it should at least look better than playing a DS game on a 3DS. Frankly, I'd stick to the DS lite. DS and GBA games look gorgeous on them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just get yourself a 3DSXL.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just get yourself a 3DSXL.

I have one, but I'm a bit of a Nintendo handheld dork and the DSI and GBA Micro are the only ones I dont have

Detective No. 27 posted:

They stretch the pixels out a bit. It'll be easier to see, but will look a bit duller. It's been a while since I used one, but it should at least look better than playing a DS game on a 3DS. Frankly, I'd stick to the DS lite. DS and GBA games look gorgeous on them.

Thats fair, and they do look good

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't really know where else to ask this, but is there a series about 80s-90s PC gaming that's anywhere nearly as good as Parish's ____ Works series?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't really know where else to ask this, but is there a series about 80s-90s PC gaming that's anywhere nearly as good as Parish's ____ Works series?

LGR on YouTube is a solid bet, but he does have very a different style/production value than Parish which... is to be expected of two different people! I like his work a lot, and his enthusiasm for that era of gaming really does shine through in his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?phreakindee

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LuiCypher posted:

LGR on YouTube is a solid bet, but he does have very a different style/production value than Parish which... is to be expected of two different people! I like his work a lot, and his enthusiasm for that era of gaming really does shine through in his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?phreakindee

Try this https://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Kim Justice's videos about euro computer gaming companies in the 80s are excellent.

Also Ahoy, Ancient Dos Games, and 8bit Guy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nostalgia Nerd has a good videos on vintage hardware, similar to Kim Justice, with a British view

https://youtube.com/user/nostalgianerdvideos

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Amazon currently has these 2 pack of usb snes controllers on sale for $3

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-G...y/dp/B01MYUDDCV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

For a while I've had a Japanese Mega CD 2 that I spotted in someone's roadside trash, without cables. Now that I have an Analogue Mega SG to use it with, I'm wondering what stuff I'd need to power the Mega CD here in New Zealand.
Could anyone help me figure out just what cables and voltage converters or whatever I'd need to run the thing?
The Mega CD says it needs an SA-160A AC unit, but I'm guessing there are generic alternatives.

Success!

I don't have any games or CD-Rs right now, but that's an audio CD playing, so I think I'm all good!
Thanks, everyone who gave me advice :)