Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah Gen V has Scolipede, Volcarona, Crustle, Durant, Leavanny, Accelgor, Escavalier...

Its the best gen bug-wise. Gen VII is a close second though with Araquanid, Golispod, Rimbombee, Vikavolt, Pheremosa and Buzzswole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Gen V was the generation where they asked the question "What if the Bug type had Pokemon that the player would want to keep on their team for the whole game?".

Even Vivillon, who is still kind of crummy compared to Gen V and VII's bugs is still somewhat better then the likes of Beautifly and Mothim (in addition to its main gimmick that encourages trading).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The Champion of Unova was a Bug user. Gen IV was when Bugs got some actual moves, but Gen V was when Bugs got to be taken seriously.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just ordered a 3DS, haven't played a Pokemon game since platinum. Which one(s) on the DS/3DS are the best, please convince me to wait for sword and shield.

Also, I really liked Mystery Dungeon red back in the day, should I pick up super mystery dungeon?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ItBreathes posted:

Just ordered a 3DS, haven't played a Pokemon game since platinum. Which one(s) on the DS/3DS are the best, please convince me to wait for sword and shield.

Also, I really liked Mystery Dungeon red back in the day, should I pick up super mystery dungeon?

If you're just buying one always buy the newest one, p much. That's going to be Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zore posted:

Yeah Gen V has Scolipede, Volcarona, Crustle, Durant, Leavanny, Accelgor, Escavalier...

Its the best gen bug-wise. Gen VII is a close second though with Araquanid, Golispod, Rimbombee, Vikavolt, Pheremosa and Buzzswole.

I still love the fact that Ribombee is the biggest death engine on my US team.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ItBreathes posted:

BW has the best story in the franchise, a great level curve and it forces you to get out of your comfort zone by not giving you any old mons. Personal favourite.
B2W2 is the only real sequel in the series and has a great dex but also some really bad new routes and nearly no story. Still good, not as good.
XY has the move to 3D models but little beyond that and the amazing post-game Looker story. Fun but not exciting.
SM goes back to a stronger plot and adds genuine boss battles to the mix, as well as finally moving beyond HMs and Gyms (short lived as it was) and introducing the best evil team. However, it has some really long cutscenes. Absolutely recommended if you don't mind that.
USUM is just the third version to the above, although with a worse story. If you're in for the gameplay, and you want the newest stuff, this one's your pick.

Alternatively you can just wait for SwSh but we know nearly nothing about them and you have a lot of time until they're released (most likely November) so you can play another game meanwhile.

Also Super Mystery Dungeon is very good, yeah, although it's much harder than what came before. If you're looking for DS as well, Explorers of the Sky is amazingly good and the game that made me like MD, fully recommended.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
play black 1/white 1 then wait for sword and shield. maybe play non-ultra sun/moon inbetween if you're still jonesing

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 6, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zuzie posted:

Gen V was the generation where they asked the question "What if the Bug type had Pokemon that the player would want to keep on their team for the whole game?".

Even Vivillon, who is still kind of crummy compared to Gen V and VII's bugs is still somewhat better then the likes of Beautifly and Mothim (in addition to its main gimmick that encourages trading).

It's still extremely hosed up that Vivillon was literally the only new bug type family introduced in Gen VI.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Cattail Prophet posted:

It's still extremely hosed up that Vivillon was literally the only new bug type family introduced in Gen VI.

Mega Heracross, Mega Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Mega Pinsir

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

less laughter posted:

Mega Heracross, Mega Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Mega Pinsir

You are a dictionary of mons that people forget.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ItBreathes posted:

US/UM loving rule and there's a ton of postgame stuff to do, you can catch most legendaries without having to perform a bunch of arcane rituals (just a racing minigame that's easy to master once you turn off motion controls)

the story in S/M is better but top to bottom I think you'd enjoy the Ultra versions more

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
As far as I know, Sword/Shield are coming out for the Switch, so if you just bought a 3DS that won't help you much.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What kind of complete ignorance of what people enjoy about Pokemon is making you weirdos suggest SM over USM?

Ultra has more Pokemon, moves, and music. Who in their right mind would sacrifice that for a "better" story(it's Pokemon, they're all children's stories)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nasgate posted:

(it's Pokemon, they're all children's stories)

by posting that in this thread, you're basically asking for 2500 words about how smart and touching the stories in pokemon games are

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

More Pokemon and More Moves only really matter while that game's generation is the relevant one, in a world where we're like 5 months or so out from sword/shield where there will almost undoubtedly be a way to get most of those pokemon and moves i'd absolutely go for the more well-crafted and cohesive singular experience in original sun/moon over ultra. it's the same reason i recommend black/white 1 over 2, at this point i dont give a poo poo that the move tutor knows extra things the first games are just better as a whole

also us/um's music succcckss asssssssssss

indigi posted:

by posting that in this thread, you're basically asking for 2500 words about how smart and touching the stories in pokemon games are

drat dude youre bad rear end

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Entropist posted:

As far as I know, Sword/Shield are coming out for the Switch, so if you just bought a 3DS that won't help you much.

Got a Switch too. Mostly it's a tossup between US/UM and Alpha Sapphire, cuz I played me a poo poo ton of Sapphire back in the day, but I thought I'd see how people felt since I was tuned out completely for B/W, X/Y.

Also, why is HG/SS so rare? Like, I knew they were but they've got a sealed Heart Gold at my local used game store for $100, when they only want $70 for a sealed gbc Silver.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ItBreathes posted:

Got a Switch too. Mostly it's a tossup between US/UM and Alpha Sapphire, cuz I played me a poo poo ton of Sapphire back in the day, but I thought I'd see how people felt since I was tuned out completely for B/W, X/Y.

Also, why is HG/SS so rare? Like, I knew they were but they've got a sealed Heart Gold at my local used game store for $100, when they only want $70 for a sealed gbc Silver.

For one thing, Gen II cartridges are nearly universally unusable because of a problem with the battery, so that keeps the price down.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

More Pokemon and More Moves only really matter while that game's generation is the relevant one, in a world where we're like 5 months or so out from sword/shield where there will almost undoubtedly be a way to get most of those pokemon and moves i'd absolutely go for the more well-crafted and cohesive singular experience in original sun/moon over ultra. it's the same reason i recommend black/white 1 over 2, at this point i dont give a poo poo that the move tutor knows extra things the first games are just better as a whole

also us/um's music succcckss asssssssssss
what exactly is missing from US/UM that makes S/M better besides a couple narrative tweaks? the Ultra versions have navigable ultra wormholes, the Rainbow Rocket episode, Mantine surfing, Ultra Megalopolis, Mina's trial, there's probably other stuff but that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. in terms of actual gameplay you get a more expansive game with more things to do and a better postgame at the expense of a bit of story

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

indigi posted:

what exactly is missing from US/UM that makes S/M better besides a couple narrative tweaks? the Ultra versions have navigable ultra wormholes, the Rainbow Rocket episode, Mantine surfing, Ultra Megalopolis, Mina's trial, there's probably other stuff but that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. in terms of actual gameplay you get a more expansive game with more things to do and a better postgame at the expense of a bit of story

From what I've seen in the thread, the idea is that their waifu gets more development.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

indigi posted:

yeah there's more poo poo but most of that poo poo sucks and doesnt make the video game any more fun. the ultra wormhole minigame is the most inoffensive once you turn off motion controls i guess but i'd rather not be forced to play it to go to the ub's worlds, mantine surfing is dull as hell and barely worth playing the one time they force you to let alone repeating it, necrozma and ultra megalopolis are boring on their own and suck in the context of them steamrolling a bunch of already totally fine plot elements to make way for them, episode rr is a bad dungeon that goes on for too long with an interesting setup they barely do anything with. actually giving mina a trial was cool though (even if it was just "now go fight the captains")

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

, episode rr is a bad dungeon that goes on for too long with an interesting setup they barely do anything with.

I'll unequivocally agree with this in terms of the poster above since the primary appeal of that dungeon to me was the "Pokemon Trainer, This Is Your Life!" aspect of it. but then you do get to fight Giovanni afterward in that random battle game in the plaza which is fun

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What I'm getting from this discussion is that Absolutely doesn't have ears. Ultra Recon, Manta Surfing, and Rainbow Rocket all are worth it just for the kickin' rad music.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nasgate posted:

What kind of complete ignorance of what people enjoy about Pokemon is making you weirdos suggest SM over USM?

Ultra has more Pokemon, moves, and music. Who in their right mind would sacrifice that for a "better" story(it's Pokemon, they're all children's stories)

I really hate the logic : "It's for kids it's supposed to be dogshit :)"

It's the reason animation got handicapped for years in the west where nobody wanted to make an effort because they didn't think it would be profitable.

And we got poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYs_GCy9PRk

So yeah gently caress that, find you a good story if you want and thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As someone that played SM and USUM somewhat recently, I feel like SM felt...tighter? A lot of it was actually down to the writing, but USUM added tons of sidequests and optional things that kinda slowed the game down IMHO. However, USUM does have More Content and a more engaging endgame, you get to capture all the bullshit Legendaries, I actually kinda enjoyed RR Episode since it's basically a boss rush (and it gives you Sick Cash Money after you finish it) and Mantines are cute. Also it doesn't have a 30min long cutscene after you beat the last trainer.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
why hasn't there been a squirtle squad game yet

https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/1125497466210533376

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
childhood pokemon players develop a unique pokemon-recognition region in their frontal cortex visible on MRI

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Look at it from this perspective: Play SM for the story and atmosphere if that's your thing or play USUM for the move tutors and extra content if you're looking for that. There's no wrong answer here really it's just what you're personally looking for in a game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Play both imo

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nasgate posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Just another speedbump.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

USUM completely ruins Lusamine’s character but it has more content so... :shrug:

Play SM for the better plot, play USUM later for the extra stuff.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is how you tell that digimon don't look like pokemon right

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The plot of Pokemon is for me to be the very best, in a manner unforeheretoseen. Anything else is a distraction from the series's core thesis of self improvement through friendship.

It sounds like USUM is the way to go for the time honored tradition of 'em all catching, so one more question: which is cosier, Alola or Honenn?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Alola for sure.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Flopsy posted:

So yeah gently caress that, find you a good story if you want and thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Togedemaru Ekans Ditto talk?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

For one thing, Gen II cartridges are nearly universally unusable because of a problem with the battery, so that keeps the price down.

This cost like nothing to fix though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

d3lness posted:

Togedemaru Ekans Ditto talk?

TEDdiursa Talk

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vandar posted:

USUM completely ruins Lusamine’s character but it has more content so... :shrug:

Play SM for the better plot, play USUM later for the extra stuff.

The Ultra Beast missions are more interesting in S/M too aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oyster posted:

You are a dictionary of mons that people forget.

Mega pinsir is literally one of the best megas holy poo poo