Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This is sad news if Tomasi isn't writing. Breaking up one of the best artist/writer teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If Tomasi and Gleason took over Amazing Spider-Man then that would be the best Marvel news in a decade

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Man with Ottley and Gleason alternating arcs is gonna be one of the consistently best looking books every month.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad that i'm not again the only one enjoying the Event. War of the Realms is a balls to the wall adventure with tons of action. Daredevil getting Hofund and being able to see everything was great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

If Tomasi and Gleason took over Amazing Spider-Man then that would be the best Marvel news in a decade

Nick Spencer ain't leaving that gig voluntarily anytime soon.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is there anyone in the modern era who's stayed at one side longer than Tomasi? I can't imagine him leaving.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is there anyone in the modern era who's stayed at one side longer than Tomasi? I can't imagine him leaving.

Do you mean "and still hasn't switched?" Because without checking I'd bet Bendis was at Marvel longer, and I'd consider him still modern era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I don't think Tomasi is going anywhere.

https://twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/status/1125182827400708101

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I didn't realize Tomasi has been writing for so long. His credits date back to June 1995 and it is only for DC Comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

I didn't realize Tomasi has been writing for so long. His credits date back to June 1995 and it is only for DC Comics.

Oh poo poo, wow, nevermind.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And he started as an editor there in 93.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Since when has Venom had wings? Is that from Donny Cates?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Patrick Gleason (N52 Batman and Robin, Superman Rebirth) is moving to Marvel for Spider-Man (ASM?)
https://twitter.com/ComicsNowCast/status/1125116011773079553

edit:
Marvel Comics announces exclusive agreement with Pat Gleason
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/05/05/marvel-comics-announces-exclusive-agreement-with-pat-gleason/

So I see Gwen's included in the group shot despite being a universe away. Do you think this means they're going ahead with the plans to bring her into the 616 somehow?

Also who's that under Venom, I don't think I've seen her before. Is she a new character?

Heathen posted:

Technically Punisher-Venom had wings from that one issue of What If?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also who's that under Venom, I don't think I've seen her before. Is she a new character?

https://twitter.com/gregpak/status/1104179410675085312

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Heathen posted:

He used them first in Cates run, yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I see Gwen's included in the group shot despite being a universe away. Do you think this means they're going ahead with the plans to bring her into the 616 somehow?

Gwen's been in a lot of group shots over the last few years without permanently jumping over so my initial thought is no, but i guess its possible

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
God I hope not

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

I love her, she's the best. Also she sassed out a Chinese hero who tried to intercept her while in Philippine waters, how timely (Mainland China is steadily encroaching on our territories and our government is bending over backwards to help them do so, but that's for another thread yikes).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Schneider Heim posted:

but that's for another thread yikes

Might I invite you to the current Philippines angryposting thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861500

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Schneider Heim posted:

I love her, she's the best. Also she sassed out a Chinese hero who tried to intercept her while in Philippine waters, how timely (Mainland China is steadily encroaching on our territories and our government is bending over backwards to help them do so, but that's for another thread yikes).

I was looking forward to the Pinoy hero but this is just so cringe. Comics doing politics is always so corny and stupid

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

God forbid that my entertainment have something relevant to say about the modern world! If anything, both Philippine entertainment and western entertainment involving the Philippines aren't political enough, so believe me, I appreciate them getting it out there.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Argue posted:

God forbid that my entertainment have something relevant to say about the modern world! If anything, both Philippine entertainment and western entertainment involving the Philippines aren't political enough, so believe me, I appreciate them getting it out there.

You misinterpreted my despair over the integration of politics in comics as a desire to see it depoliticized, but my stance is the opposite: I wish comics were less apolitical, but when they do try to tackle "real world issues" they're just usually very bad at it. What insightful commentary did Greg Pak have to contribute about the situation in the South China Sea? I don't think it's enough just to do "representation", of culture or religion or politics, if it isn't thoughtful as well, otherwise you're just ticking boxes. From what I can find, it seems like it's just a backdrop for Aero and Wave to meet before they get recruited by Amadeus, so it doesn't seem like Pak has anything to say about the modern world except, uh, who cares about some islands when giants and elves are invading? Really cutting-edge stuff.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

You misinterpreted my despair over the integration of politics in comics as a desire to see it depoliticized, but my stance is the opposite: I wish comics were less apolitical, but when they do try to tackle "real world issues" they're just usually very bad at it. What insightful commentary did Greg Pak have to contribute about the situation in the South China Sea? I don't think it's enough just to do "representation", of culture or religion or politics, if it isn't thoughtful as well, otherwise you're just ticking boxes. From what I can find, it seems like it's just a backdrop for Aero and Wave to meet before they get recruited by Amadeus, so it doesn't seem like Pak has anything to say about the modern world except, uh, who cares about some islands when giants and elves are invading? Really cutting-edge stuff.

are you the same person who loudly groaned about greg pak writing a book featuring characters like shang-chi and jimmy woo and wondered how he felt about writing those characters, implying he should feel some kind of shame in it when in reality he actively seeks them out and wants to use them or was that someone else

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
no this is the first time I've groaned about Agents of ATLAS

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I get the feeling every time Marvel is gonna do an event, Greg just e-mails "AGENTS?????????????????????????????"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I would love to see Greg's War of the Realms team as an ongoing.

(Miss you, Silk.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aside from his guest spots in Totally Awesome Hulk, has Jimmy Woo been in anything since the last Agents of Atlas series?

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

Wolverine kicked Conan's Cimmerian gonads.

It was kinda meh.

Can confirm. Duggan seems to forget that Conan is actually just human and doesn't have a healing factor. It was a dumb issue, but not in a fun way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Robot Wendigo posted:

Can confirm. Duggan seems to forget that Conan is actually just human and doesn't have a healing factor. It was a dumb issue, but not in a fun way.

I've read very little of Conan compared to the rest of... this entire forum, I think, but it seems that a lot of writers write Conan as borderline superhuman, it's not definitely not just Duggan.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of, how is Duggan's Conan book? I'm only reading Aaron's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1125575602193326080

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pimpin' Ain't Easy But By Crom It's Necessary

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of, how is Duggan's Conan book? I'm only reading Aaron's.

I'm the other way. Seems good so far.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Autism Sneaks posted:

Well, I did not take it as "insightful commentary" but simply throwing shade at something. And it's pretty harmless for everyone else, even the Mainland Chinese, but you'd imagine we'd be happy about it. Last time I read about Filipino heroes they got wiped out by a suicide bomber in Fraction's Invincible Iron Man.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Autism Sneaks posted:

Stories have to take place somewhere, and in fiction based in a world approximately "like" the real one characters have to come from someplace. Would you suggest that Peter Parker should only be from Queens if the author is making an incisive point about Queens? Because often this question of "but why does x have to come from y, or be z?" is only leveled at characters from demographics that are lacking in representation, and tacitly encourages creators to stick with a roster of white guys from the US. Captain America isn't any more apolitical than any given new hero from elsewhere in the world-- indeed his origin story is both deeply political and deeply silly. That's a-ok.

I think representation in-and-of-itself is desirable (barring, you know, caricatures like most black supporting characters from the Golden Age, or outright offensive stereotypes like Extrano the gay wizard with HIV from New Guardians). Ticking boxes is perfectly fine if those boxes would otherwise be unticked, and I think Grek Pak's ongoing interest in introducing new Asian and Asian-American characters, or sprucing up ones that already exist, is pretty noble and in most cases well-executed. If he's not saying something profound about Sino-Filipino relations, I'm not especially bothered, as it isn't like, ultimately, anything about Smallville really excavates interesting or novel insights about the rural experience-- the point is setting things up so we're introduced to a specifically Filipino hero, who he seems pretty excited about, I'm pretty excited about, and, it seems, Filipino readers are excited about.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Well, I did not take it as "insightful commentary" but simply throwing shade at something. And it's pretty harmless for everyone else, even the Mainland Chinese, but you'd imagine we'd be happy about it. Last time I read about Filipino heroes they got wiped out by a suicide bomber in Fraction's Invincible Iron Man.

By suicide bombing buddhist monks, no less, which everyone knows are a very common and normal thing to see in Metro Manila!

It may not be a deep treatise on our territorial disputes but I think it's pretty important. I mean, I see TV shows throwing well-deserved shade at Trump all the time, and this is honestly the closest I've ever seen any fictional popular media come to tossing a gently caress you at the Philippine government, so yeah.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Schneider Heim posted:

If it makes you feel any better, later writers made a point of establishing that the team had been reestablished. Al Ewing has characters mention them all the time, and apparently Blue Marvel goes over there for team-ups on the regular.

TwoPair posted:

I've read very little of Conan compared to the rest of... this entire forum, I think, but it seems that a lot of writers write Conan as borderline superhuman, it's not definitely not just Duggan.

No, Conan is straight-up written that way in the original Howard. There's a disquieting amount of the original fiction that's basically about how Conan is just a little bit better than everyone around him, even if those people are all-time monsters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teaser ad leaked for a mystery Joe Hill (Locke & Key) and Mike Allred comic in August.

The background just seems like a random assortment of covers, but the font looks a bit Asgardian? Dr Strangey?
I'd take that for the next Thor team.

edit:
This week's comics are probably going to have a bunch of these teases.
https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/1125899745086595074

ee: Here's the next one BC put out. Al Ewing ang George Perez.

With Perez, they're probably not ongoings.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 8, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I thought Perez retired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit:
This week's comics are probably going to have a bunch of these teases.
https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/1125899745086595074

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU