Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sekiro is a souls game. It’s missing some stuff but it’s fundamentally a souls game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barudak posted:

I powered through Dark Souls 3 and was like thats really meh, but everyone says bloodborne is amazing maybe that will rekindle my Demon Souls/Dark Souls 1 feeling and I ended up enjoying bloodborne so little I didnt buy sekiro and will probably never play it and am kinda done with Fromsoft.

Sekiro is really good, but it doesn't come close to Bloodborne.

Your Computer posted:

i've got some good news for you about Sekiro

Yes is it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Going back through a fuckton of games and updating them all has revealed a lot of impressive, updated icons

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Araxxor posted:

Have you all considered that maybe the reason some people don't like gyro is because they flat out can't use them? Gyro controls are incredibly unfriendly towards players with disabilities, which is really bad for accessibility. Especially in multiplayer games where they have such a huge advantage over players using stick controls, that people stuck with sticks might as well not bother playing.

How bad are you people with sticks that gyros are somehow an improvement

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

How bad are people with gyros that it's not?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how much of gyro aim being useful or not is purely down to the player perspective on what’s being controlled

Like I would have been fine with the Apparatus shrines if they weren’t so error prone, and I wonder how much of that is because there’s no center view or other way to reasonably correct for gyroscopic error?

Idk, interesting to think about

the gyro controls in the shrines seemed to fight you pretty regularly, but I never had that issue while aiming the bow/runes. probably down to bad programming rather than a problem with the gyroscope

Spellman
May 31, 2011

indigi posted:

the gyro controls in the shrines seemed to fight you pretty regularly, but I never had that issue while aiming the bow/runes. probably down to bad programming rather than a problem with the gyroscope

Gyro/pointer controls in shooting games can be pretty good. Partly because you're adjusting your aim in tandem with joystick controls which resets your center. Shrine puzzles don't have this; the best you can do to reset is to disengage with the puzzle, which is cumbersome. And if you're in handheld mode, you might as well go gently caress yourself

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RBA Starblade posted:

Good gravy, I was arguing in favor of the people who didn't like gyro, and agree that it's just a bad addition overall.

Shooters can have good stick controls, and there are plenty of console shooters with good ones. Games like Splatoon are not one of them. They're utterly horrific there, with them being far too sensitive and having a lot of dead zones compared to actual shooters.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Araxxor posted:

They're utterly horrific there, with them being far too sensitive and having a lot of dead zones compared to actual shooters.

I love gyro in Splatoon for the opposite reason, I have the stick sensitivity maxed out and I still want it to be about 50% higher.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Araxxor posted:

Good gravy, I was arguing in favor of the people who didn't like gyro, and agree that it's just a bad addition overall.

Shooters can have good stick controls, and there are plenty of console shooters with good ones. Games like Splatoon are not one of them. They're utterly horrific there, with them being far too sensitive and having a lot of dead zones compared to actual shooters.

They don't have aim assist because you don't need it because the gyro is precise enough.

All stick shooters that have "good" controls actually have "the computer does all of the fine aiming for you" controls.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

As the foremost gyro researcher, the gyro in botw is bad because it requires you to not use the thumb stick at the same time, which can ruin your aim at the best of times.

Fortnite still has the most comprehensive method, allowing for super granular control of almost every action.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The gyros were great with Doom. It made it a lot easier to quickly shift my aim back and forth between different elevations and go for headshots that I wouldn't bother with otherwise unless I was playing with a mouse and keyboard. It made the platforming segments feel a bit better too.

edit: I haven't really gotten into Sekiro yet. I burned myself out because I went and graveyarded myself like a dumbass by going into that memory thingy way underleveled and bashing my head against all of that poo poo before I finally just gave up after seeing Madame Butterfly has a second form. :saddowns:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 7, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your Computer posted:

i've got some good news for you about Sekiro

The combat is fun but the exploration is boring and that’s a big part of why I love Dark Souls.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Gyro is an additional degree of control built on top of stick controls. Sticks cannot in any sense of the word outperform gyro without the game generously doing all of the aiming for you. How good or bad the sticks are in any given game does not bear any weight in an argument as to which is a better control scheme for that game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lemming posted:

They don't have aim assist because you don't need it because the gyro is precise enough.

All stick shooters that have "good" controls actually have "the computer does all of the fine aiming for you" controls.

I wasn't even talking about aim assist. Splatoon's stick controls can't even aim at all in the first place. Dead zones, handles diagonal movement poorly, and a poor aiming curve. Aim assist wouldn't really help with that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Splatoon's stick is locked to your turning radius. It's not supposed to be used for aiming.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

American McGay posted:

Splatoon's stick is locked to your turning radius. It's not supposed to be used for aiming.

Didn't stop me but I didn't play for long so maybe I just got really lucky for a long stretch

Unrelatedly (or maybe relatedly) I didn't find the game particularly interesting though I think its kiddy pop punk style is an oddly refreshing breath of fresh air

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sekiro is a souls game. It’s missing some stuff but it’s fundamentally a souls game

If it doesn’t have stamina management (posture isn’t the same thing) it’s not a Souls game

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If it doesn’t have stamina management (posture isn’t the same thing) it’s not a Souls game

A croque madame has a fried egg, and a croque monsieur does not, but it's still loving grilled cheese ham my dude.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sekiro : Tenchu :: Devil May Cry : Resident Evil

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HMS Beagle posted:

A croque madame has a fried egg, and a croque monsieur does not, but it's still loving grilled cheese ham my dude.

What a bizarre analogy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If anything Sekiro is the Cubano to Dark Souls’ grilled cheese. Bloodborne is a Monte Cristo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The posture meter is the pickle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well now i just want a loving sandwich :mad:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What kind though?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

American McGay posted:

It never even occurred to me that this is why it feels sluggish to me, but it being from having a limit on how fast the player character can physically turn themselves around makes perfect sense for both control and gameplay purposes. I'm too used to Doom II and UT where 180 degree turns have to happen instantly.

I don't doubt that there are bad gyro aiming implementations, but even when it's "bad" it makes so I don't constantly feel like I'm fighting against the game to get my character to turn.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

well now i just want to gently caress a sandwich :mad:

Buddy...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You can do a quick 180 degree turn in Splatoon by quickly moving back and pressing the reorientation reset button. Or you could set the gyro turning to high if you want to be nimble in the expense of precision in long range aiming.

Also gyro is the future, old men.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I couldn’t really get a grasp of Wii pointer controls for shooters but I love gyro on Wii U and Switch. It’s really hard for me to play shooters on other consoles that don’t have it now.:smith:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm the old guy that still can't play shooters without running everywhere diagonally.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not very good at modern shooters but I could circle strafe like a MF using the C buttons on an N64 controller in GE/PD.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I always feel like I'm from another dimension when Bloodborne gets mentioned. Bought it at launch, got the true ending, then never touched it again.

I feel like I'm from another dimension when people mention the frame rate in it because I only noticed it once when it dropped to 4fps after defeating a boss and was obviously just a random glitch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I always feel like I'm from another dimension when Bloodborne gets mentioned. Bought it at launch, got the true ending, then never touched it again.

You're in another dimension alright. The bad opinion haver dimension!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope they port bloodborne to the ps5 or something at least.

That game deserves better performance

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Zodiac Age question again: I know changing jobs/resetting your license board with Montblanc returns your LP to you, but do quickenings also get undone? ie: I would get to pick my quickenings all over again?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mass Effect 1 & 2 when....

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Holy poo poo is mk11 on switch bad... wow...

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Andrast posted:

I hope they port bloodborne to the ps5 or something at least.

That game deserves better performance
I didn't notice any slowdown at all on PS4 Pro.

PS5 will most likely be natively backward compatible with PS4, so Bloodborne should run fine on it without even needing a port.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

I didn't notice any slowdown at all on PS4 Pro.

PS5 will most likely be natively backward compatible with PS4, so Bloodborne should run fine on it without even needing a port.

Bloodborne still has garbage frame pacing whether you run it on a normal PS4 or a pro. It never runs fine because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The trifecta of bad Nintendo thread opinions: Bloodborne bad, gyro aiming good, don’t notice bad frame rates