Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Uhh, no? Uber workers are just people trying to earn a wage, they're not stealing union taxi payers jobs themselves by crossing a picket line to take a taxi driver job away from striking taxi workers.

Blame the Uber company/executives for that poo poo, don't blame people trying to earn money to live on.

I’ll blame both the unethical management and the short sighted workers, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WampaLord posted:

It's just you, don't be a scab, if people are striking, do not cross that picket line if you want to support the striking workers, even if this is a "digital picket line" so to speak the same principle applies.

Why would you think this is super ironic?

Uber etc. are literally scab workers already, as others have pointed out :shrug:

e: I mean no poo poo people trying to survive deserve some compassion, but worker solidarity is already getting the finger from those same people

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 5, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

awesmoe posted:

When you're blaming workers, you definitely know you're on the right side of the argument.

Flesh Forge posted:

Uber etc. are literally scab workers already, as others have pointed out :shrug:

e: I mean no poo poo people trying to survive deserve some compassion, but worker solidarity is already getting the finger from those same people

That's not how the term scab works, ironic considering the entire conversation is you writing off the idea of being a scab as "super irony"

Don't use Uber/Lyft on the strike day, this isn't hard, it's not irony, it's called a strike. Don't be willfully dense.

E: VVV Would you care to address the argument or do you just want to call me "crazy" so you can feel better about yourself?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 5, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What is wrong with your brain?

e: Okay, I'm guilty of abusing the word 'literally' - how do you misunderstand the irony of Uber et al's structure of bypassing worker regulation and undercutting taxi driver labor? and do you not think the Uber et al. drivers themselves are complicit in the same?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 5, 2019

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

WampaLord posted:

When you're blaming workers, you definitely know you're on the right side of the argument.

Why does this not apply equally to scabs?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

e: Okay, I'm guilty of abusing the word 'literally' - how do you misunderstand the irony of Uber et al's structure of bypassing worker regulation and undercutting taxi driver labor? and do you not think the Uber et al. drivers themselves are complicit in the same?

Uber the company and Uber drivers are two seperate things. The drivers are striking to try to improve the company.

Thus, my solidarity remains with the drivers, and not the company, which should be improved (or ideally, nationalized, but hey we live in hellworld). This isn't hard to figure out.

If you're blaming the Uber drivers for Uber existing, well, hey, they're trying to strike and you're mocking them, so I feel like you don't have the best grasp on how the power dynamics work here.

Akumu posted:

Why does this not apply equally to scabs?

Uber drivers are not scabs, they're not crossing a picket line to take a taxi driver's job, I have explained this already.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Flesh Forge posted:

Counterpoint: if line workers are complicit in their companies sins, then we're all hosed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don’t think there’s much more to add to this slapfight as far as actual information goes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WampaLord posted:

the entire conversation is you writing off the idea of being a scab as "super irony"

You have this incorrectly, and I have no idea how you reached this conclusion because I didn't talk about the meta idea of being a scab worker at all, I'm talking about this specific case.

WampaLord posted:

Uber the company and Uber drivers are two seperate things. The drivers are striking to try to improve the company.

Thus, my solidarity remains with the drivers, and not the company, which should be improved (or ideally, nationalized, but hey we live in hellworld). This isn't hard to figure out.

Uber drivers are not scabs, they're not crossing a picket line to take a taxi driver's job, I have explained this already.

I'm wayyyyy too uninterested to fight out pedantry at this low a level, you can have it dude you win

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think there’s much more to add to this slapfight as far as actual information goes.

totally fine with me

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I gotta ask, did this generate one or more mod reports?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flesh Forge posted:

I gotta ask, did this generate one or more mod reports?

I didn’t look yet, I just happened to be observing. I was going to comment but only to offer an opinion, which no one really cares about itt.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

awesmoe posted:

Lots of Uber/Lyft drivers are basically moonlighting cab drivers trying to make some of the money that Uber/Lyft stole from them.

Also... "short-sighted" should really be "deeply destitute". Stop hating on poor people for getting hosed by the rich and having no real options.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
God dammit may 8th is literally the only day in about a year I will really want to use a ride share service.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Before Uber, I only had the need for a cab about 5 times in my life. 2 of those 5 times, I called and the cab never showed. The other three, the cab was a loving disgusting mess and the ride was really loving expensive. The taxi industry needed to get hosed.

But Uber needs to get hosed, too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The fact you guys don't know the difference between scabs and rats just means we need better unions.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HootTheOwl posted:

The fact you guys don't know the difference between scabs and rats just means we need better unions.

That won’t be you educating anyone though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rex-Goliath posted:

That won’t be you educating anyone though.

:thejoke:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

HootTheOwl posted:

Unless the taxi drivers are unionized they aren't technically rats either.

I'm kind of curious how big this strike will be and if uber even notices.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's going to be two hours.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The article linked by the tweet said noon to midnight. I meant more in that I hadn't heard it was happening outside of that tweet and wondered if enough people knew it was a thing to make it one.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FoolyCharged posted:

Ironically with Uber & Lyft losing money on every ride this is actually going to help them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FoolyCharged posted:

Taxi drivers if the US are, in large cities see least, unionized.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

The article linked by the tweet said noon to midnight.

Oops, you're correct, I have no idea where I got the 2 hour number :confused:

HootTheOwl posted:

Taxi drivers if the US are, in large cities see least, unionized.

gently caress 'em, NEW ECONOMY :pervert:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

So, support your local taxi service is what I’m hearing.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
All I hear is drivers should drive because prices are gonna surge like no ones business. Got it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

gently caress 'em, NEW ECONOMY :pervert:

https://mobile.twitter.com/carterfo...r%3D2364%23pti5

e: vvv if it is an actual emergency, do whatever you have to do, one person's actions are not going to impact the effect in any meaningful way

maybe offer some words of solidarity to your driver and tip them well for the inconvenience

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 6, 2019

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Question: I have to use Uber or Lyft to get to doctors appointments. Some were scheduled for may 8th.

So, I'm not supposed to get medical care (I'm blind so no driving myself), given there are functionally no taxis here?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tip the driver well for the inconvenience? :confused:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spacewolf posted:

Question: I have to use Uber or Lyft to get to doctors appointments. Some were scheduled for may 8th.

So, I'm not supposed to get medical care (I'm blind so no driving myself), given there are functionally no taxis here?

If it's Medicaid there may be Medicaid covered medical transport.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Not medicaid. In NJ I had medicaid, not in FL.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Spacewolf posted:

Not medicaid. In NJ I had medicaid, not in FL.

If you're looking for alternatives, I'd suggest doing a little Googling. It's surprising how often you'll find that there are small cab companies even in mid-sized towns. Another option would be calling up a friend or family member to see if they'd be willing to pick you up (I'd bet most people would be happy to accompany you, unless it's during work hours). Or try calling the doctor's office and see what suggestions they have, I'm sure that their outpatients calling up an Uber isn't their first choice to begin with. If that sounds like a lot of work, or the options you find are just too inconvenient, then maybe find a different day to support union labor - it can be your own personal May 8th.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Tip the driver well for the inconvenience? :confused:

Yeah won't the drivers that are working instead of striking be potentially one of the mindset of, "gently caress the strikers" and by taking the money you're supporting that they're not striking?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Spacewolf posted:

You have forward notice so you can make alternative arrangements. The surge pricing is probably going to get so lucrative however, that at least one rear end in a top hat will be willing to pick you up, or the sticker shock of that uberx will make renting a car/getting a real taxi will pale in comparison. Get well soon.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

poo poo, you really got me there, don't tip the driver.

Phew, crisis averted. The strike is saved! Good work everyone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You freak out so hard against the slightest question or disagreement dude, ease up : shrug:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
what's going on in iran, is trump starting a war

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Spacewolf posted:

have you considered d y i n g shed your mortal coil, never need to log on again

e: thought this was dadchat, was weirded out by seeing Hieronymous Alloy post in what I thought was Dadchat

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Spacewolf posted:

As others have said... try to find an alternative, but if this is a real medical emergency and you don't have another accessible option, then take the Uber/Lyft. "Don't cross the picket line" isn't some kind of universal commandment.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Spacewolf posted:

Call your local NFB (National Federation of the Blind) chapter and ask them for a lift. I guarantee they got your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

nankeen posted:

what's going on in iran, is trump starting a war

Literally nothing has changed, but the GOP is hoping to change the headlines from "Literally they're all corrupt, will Congress put the entire cabinet in contempt?"