Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I’m a Good Match Goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’m a Good Match Goon
GOOD MACTH Goon

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also, they're talking about the style and booking of a promotion that has not actually put on any shows yet.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Lmao their go to example of a compelling story is Sword Art Online

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

And yet backflips don’t draw casual fans because it UNREALISTIC

e: lmao @ the idea wrestling as a medium is outdated

nah, compared to cinema and television and hell, every other form of theatre, wrestling is a goddamn goldmine full of potential

Venomous fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 7, 2019

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Venomous posted:

And yet backflips don’t draw casual fans because it UNREALISTIC

Kirito was a loving Spot Monkey. All he did was floppy poo poo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I liked the idea that 80s and 90s wrestling had it easier because they had to compete with Miami Vice and Buffy whereas modern wrestling has to compare with the compelling drama of American Horror Story.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

What you didn’t like when it goes back to the real world and suddenly there’s an underage incest plot point? What are you some kind of pleb?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Buffy did way too many flips to be a draw

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Gate.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Sanguinia posted:

Yes, the SJW Agenda will ruin AEW, just like they did Star Wars and Captain Marvel, each of which made a LITERAL billion dollars.

If there's anything the public's proven to hate its things that make multiple billions of dollars. How they make those dollars is a vile scheme the particulars of which no one is quite sure of despite absolute faith that it's occurring.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Buffy did way too many flips to be a draw

Fans will never buy a woman as a main eventer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If there's anything the public's proven to hate its things that make multiple billions of dollars. How they make those dollars is a vile scheme the particulars of which no one is quite sure of despite absolute faith that it's occurring.

It's obviously on a much smaller scale, but it was both depressing and hilarious to hear people claim the new Doctor Who would be a massive failure even after it drew record ratings throughout the entire season. The new season had plenty of issues, obviously, but a lot of the really vocal online criticisms either ignored those or considered them secondary to the "problem" of the space wizard who travels through time fighting evil no longer having a cock.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

It's obviously on a much smaller scale, but it was both depressing and hilarious to hear people claim the new Doctor Who would be a massive failure even after it drew record ratings throughout the entire season. The new season had plenty of issues, obviously, but a lot of the really vocal online criticisms either ignored those or considered them secondary to the "problem" of the space wizard who travels through time fighting evil no longer having a cock.

Chuds were so convinced that Brie Larson was secretly terrifying the entire cast of Avengers that it took the actual Don Cheadle to start making a constant stream of dunks on them on Twitter to get them to stop. He's been at it for days and seems to be having a great time so more power to him in his noble endeavors.

Its not about the actual facts for chuds, it's about screaming your bullshit loud enough to fit in with the rest of the cult in the hopes that something actually comes true so you can crow about it while forever ignoring all the times the collective was wrong as hell

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 7, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God bless Don Cheadle :hmmyes:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Don Cheadle is awesome. Brie Larson isn’t amazing as Captain Marvel but she’s pretty good at winding chuds up so that’s cool

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Don Cheadle is awesome. Brie Larson isn’t amazing as Captain Marvel but she’s pretty good at winding chuds up so that’s cool

Larson was fine, the first act of that movie did her no favours (why is amnesia a key part of Captain Marvel's origin now?) and she's barely in Avengers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite was how people would just make stuff up. I had one person say that the reason the new series was bad was because every ep had to have constant references to how the Doctor was now a woman. Which literally never happened.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Larson was fine, the first act of that movie did her no favours (why is amnesia a key part of Captain Marvel's origin now?) and she's barely in Avengers.
yeah I’m not saying she was bad just not as perfect casting as tom holland or paul rudd were

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

My favorite was how people would just make stuff up. I had one person say that the reason the new series was bad was because every ep had to have constant references to how the Doctor was now a woman. Which literally never happened.

Not entirely true. There was ONE (1) instance in the Pubjab episode. And it was just her going "Oh, cool, I don't normally get invited to these girls-only things"

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Are they noble MAGA dollars or vile worthless avocado financed millenial dollars. That's what really matters. It's about ethics in capitalism.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The showrunner literally didn't even tell the other writers the Doctor was going to be a woman until after their scripts were done too :)

Again, it was far from a perfect season, in fact there was quite a few legitimate issues that need to be worked on, but the casting was great (Whittaker is loving incredible), it looked really good, there was one episode that was among the best the revival has done and whether people liked it or not, there is no denying from a ratings/popularity point of view it was a big success.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The showrunner literally didn't even tell the other writers the Doctor was going to be a woman until after their scripts were done too :)

Again, it was far from a perfect season, in fact there was quite a few legitimate issues that need to be worked on, but the casting was great (Whittaker is loving incredible), it looked really good, there was one episode that was among the best the revival has done and whether people liked it or not, there is no denying from a ratings/popularity point of view it was a big success.

My favorite thing about the casting over the years of the Nu-Who series, is that everyone they cast that got huge backlash, turned out to be incredible.

Billie Piper- "That pop star!?!?"
Catherine Tate- "That awful sketch comedian!?!??"
Bradley Walsh- "That game show host?!?!"

and best of all:

"Who the gently caress is Matt Smith?!?!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That's mostly because they filmed Endgame before Captain Marvel's script was complete.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

It was always a key part of her story - after Rouge stole her powers she had amnesia. Without the X-Men in the MCU they couldn't do it that way but it's at least something Carol dealt with.

Captain Marvel was fine - it felt like a bit of a beat for beat paint by numbers Superhero movie but I think Larson herself was 100% great for the role. Anybody who didn't like it because of Larson being a woman, or because of the way she winds up dummies in media appearances is, well, a huge dummy. Anyone complaining about "SJW" agenda is a complete moron. But you all already know that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Davros1 posted:

My favorite thing about the casting over the years of the Nu-Who series, is that everyone they cast that got huge backlash, turned out to be incredible.

Billie Piper- "That pop star!?!?"
Catherine Tate- "That awful sketch comedian!?!??"
Bradley Walsh- "That game show host?!?!"

and best of all:

"Who the gently caress is Matt Smith?!?!"

My mother got really angry about the casting of David Tennant because it was just after Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire came out where he played a villain and she said "I can't be having him as Doctor Who. He's evil!"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Ratings are down, what does Wrestleforum think is the problem? You guessed it, those dang women.

quote:

It's the truth. Women will sell products only when they're sexualized, like with bra & panties matches.

Just like in other sports and businesses. People only care about the female football league because they're hot models wearing lingerie. If they try to play football seriously, people will not watch them even 5% of the NFL viewership.

It's a fact that SJWs and feminists need to swallow down their throats.

Those dang SJWs, where are my bra and panty matches!!!!

quote:

Why is it nonsense? The plummeting ratings align perfectly with the increased TV time dedicated to the women. Your counter?

Could it be absolutely horrendous creative/storytelling? Nah.

quote:

Would have been higher if there was a couple more sets of D's-DD's in the back I bet that could be flaunted.

:sigh:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I love the kind of people that project their own sexism onto the entire population as a fact

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean I have been watching for fifteen years or so now and ratings have been going down literally the whole time

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

could you imagine if TV programming took these dipshits seriously and scheduled 3 hours of mudwrestling?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

coconono posted:

could you imagine if TV programming took these dipshits seriously and scheduled 3 hours of mudwrestling?

Yes I remember late 90s fox primetime

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes I remember late 90s fox primetime

and a FRIENDS re-run, because that one lady's hair looked like sex was happening.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also the fact that they somehow think that- what are they calling Lingerie Football now? Legends?- is a massive ratings winner on par with the NFL.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

Ratings are down, what does Wrestleforum think is the problem? You guessed it, those dang women.

Last night the women got one segment with a 2 minute match and one woman calling everyone else nasties just like in the halcyon Diva days so what are they even complaining about?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
they weren't nude enough

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Not entirely true. There was ONE (1) instance in the Pubjab episode. And it was just her going "Oh, cool, I don't normally get invited to these girls-only things"

this is actually a great line for the doctor to say cause its the first time the doctor has manifested as a woman and the doctor is pretty aware of their past selves are they not?

DarkstarIV posted:

Every wrestling community is plagued with at least one of these fools. (this place seems to be one of the better places for wrasslechat though)

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 7, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Doctor keeps all her memories of her past incarnations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To clarify, I was pointing out the one innocuous moment which was actually really fun to show how absurd the complaints were, not complaining that it happened.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Holy loving poo poo WF went full misogyny in regards to women in sports (or wrestling).

quote:

The women's lingerie football league sells more tickets than all other women's football leagues combined.

Women are inferior to men in every sport. People do not want to see an inferior product. Ipso facto, women's sports need sex appeal. I personally fast-forward through all women's content except on PPV, but if they promoted a bra-and-panties match, I'm tuning in.

quote:

I've seen some of the best women's wrestling the world has to offer, and I still don't care. I fast-forward through all women's segments except on PPV. Give me chicks in bikinis. That's an opinion based on personal preference, not a lack of knowledge or awareness.

quote:

It's really not, though. Men are always better than women at sports because they have unfair physiological advantages. That's something that can't be changed. And the "sex appeal" point is true in the sense of marketing it to the masses. Women's pro sports leagues always flounder or fail in the US unless they market sex appeal; the only reason the WNBA still exists in any quasi-mainstream form is because it's propped up by the NBA.

There's a reason Anna Kournikova is one of the most famous female tennis players of all time even though she won precisely zero majors: she is an incredibly hot piece of rear end.

quote:

It's actually not sexist at all. I fast-forward through the parts of the show I don't like; I don't sit around watching No Way Jose matches, for example. It just so happens that, of the performers that I like enough to watch, not a single one of them is a woman. That hasn't always been the case - I'm a HUGE Victoria mark, for example. I'll even give new performers a chance - I'll watch a few matches for women when they first reach the main roster and give them a chance to change my mind. That's not sexism - that's called personal taste.

quote:

Hard to say. There are certainly some people that take women's sports seriously, but they're overwhelmingly women - 75-80% of the audience at WNBA games are women, and most men in attendance are accompanying a woman. The US Women's soccer team also has a fanbase, since they're awesome and the men's team is terrible, but again, that's almost exclusively women.

And let's be clear - there's nothing wrong with that! If you like women's sports, great. Good for you. I'm simply stating that someone like myself, who was raised by a professional athlete and has seen sports up-close at the highest level, have no particular interest in watching the B-version of a sport, and all the numbers show that I'm not alone.
(Emphasis mine)

Honestly I kinda want to see the women featured more just because it makes these people so loving angry. Also hot take in regards to that last part: The best match on main roster WWE (male or female) last year was probably either Charlotte vs Becky at Evolution, or Charlotte vs Becky vs Asuka at TLC 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a catch-22, though, which guys like that are not willing to engage with. Yes, women's leagues in predominently male sports tend to have slightly lower quality play, but that's because they're drawing from a shallower talent pool because there's no high profile outlet to tell young girls that this is a thing you can do. Basically, you need to promote the women's game as hard as the men's and sustain that for long enough for a developmental system to start bearing fruit, but capitalism won't allow that.

Edit: And the tennis example is hilarious for him to use, given that the Williams sisters are almost without a doubt the biggest stars in tennis today precisely BECAUSE they're better than everyone else, including a decent chunk of the men's field.

Hell, there's probably good money in a big exhibition match between Serena and Federer.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 7, 2019